DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/644609-doom-eternal-3-20-20-pc-ps4-xb1-switch-stadia.html)

gerrythedon 05-06-20 10:30 PM

Re: Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

$39.99

XB1
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/doom-et...?skuId=6255282

PS4
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/doom-et...?skuId=6255267

Since my game was delayed to Monday after release date (Friday), today was day 44/45 to be eligible to Price Match :banana:

Rival11 05-07-20 08:35 AM

I'm on the "Doom Hunters Base" level now, it just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and platform, and platform, and platform, and going and going...........I thought I was on the final level - turns out I'm only on the 3rd or 4th stage of 13!!!!

It's getting pretty repetitive to say the least but it's still fun - they seriously need to get rid of the platforming.

andicus 05-11-20 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by 19K (Post 13735895)
You are correct on both. The Doom Hunter is in the last big battle of that level. And if you miss your glory kill you can just reload the checkpoint and try again and not really have to grind through the whole level again.

As it turns out, when you kill the second Doom Hunter, it immediately saves the checkpoint. Of course, the first Doom Hunter died without giving me the opportunity, and I missed the left side on the second one.

So next time, if I miss on the first one, I'll immediately reload the checkpoint.

gerrythedon 08-07-20 12:16 AM

Bethesda has announced that Doom Eternal and The Elder Scrolls Online will both be released on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, and those who own either game on PS4 or Xbox One will be able to upgrade to the matching new version for free.While Bethesda did not reveal a date for the next-gen ports of Doom Eternal and The Elder Scrolls Online, or go into further detail into what enhancements they will receive on PS5 and Xbox Series X, it did confirm the news and that more information would be headed our way in "the coming weeks and months."

Bethesda also noted that its teams are working hard on ensuring that both games will support backwards compatibility when the new consoles are released, possibly hinting the upgrades won't be quite ready by both console's Holiday 2020 launch window.

These were the only two games confirmed to be getting these free upgrades and enhancements for PS5 and Xbox Series X, but Bethesda promises that it is "committed to offer free upgrades for current generation console owners of existing Bethesda titles we bring forward into the next generation of consoles."

That was all the info given for this announcement, but Bethesda did reiterate that QuakeCon At Home will be taking place from August 7-9, and that fans should tune in for "information about all the latest Bethesda titles.

https://www.ign.com/articles/doom-et...-free-upgrades

Rival11 08-07-20 09:06 AM

Good news on the free upgrade. I'm close to the end now but it's taking me so long because ow boring and repetitive it gets. I will say this though, I am now a DOOM fan as I love the meanness of it all and the game looks so damn good.

But unfortunately, gameplay-wise it's a modern day Ninja Gaiden.

Music 08-07-20 09:20 AM

Ok, so hold off on playing Doom Eternal anymore until after it gets pimped out.

RichC2 08-07-20 10:16 AM

Pimped out in this case basically mean a higher resolution, it's not really a great looking game, even at 4K@60fps+ with everything set to max.

OldBoy 08-07-20 10:41 PM

Even pimped out, this game was my biggest disappointment in years. Still have not finished or gone back to it in months...

gerrythedon 08-07-20 11:33 PM

This game is fucking awesome and now this is coming...

gerrythedon 08-20-20 12:15 AM

OldBoy 08-20-20 08:44 AM

^ what exactly is that?

RichC2 08-20-20 08:48 AM

Just visuals filter modes. Make the game black and white, or use gameboy color scheme, etc;

Gears of War had similar features back in the day.

Rival11 08-20-20 10:26 AM

I think this game will be much more enjoyable after I get around to beating it a firs time due to the amount of cheat codes picked up during first play through.

OldBoy 08-20-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 13792047)
I think this game will be much more enjoyable after I get around to beating it a firs time due to the amount of cheat codes picked up during first play through.

how do you pick up cheat codes? in-game? i want to get back to this some day, but the platforming is just so annoying, which is why i gave up in first place...

Rival11 08-21-20 12:43 PM

You find them as hidden secrets throughout each level.

OldBoy 08-25-20 09:27 AM

well, i've picked up secrets (the little dolls you pick up that are labeled as question marks, are those them?) because when i go to cheat code section i don''t have any and picked up quite a few of those. and when you do use a cheat code can you still save progress and get achievements? because i know some games you cannot when a cheat code is enabled...

so i've picked this up again and enjoying once again, and the platforming and traversing seems to have lessened as i go along. is that true of the rest of the game here on out? i mean there is some, but not as frustrating as it was in the beginning...

RichC2 08-25-20 10:21 AM

Naw, little dudes are different collectibles. The cheat codes show up as question marks but when you grab them are 3.5" floppy disks.

I think it's more you get used to the traversing more so than the game eases up on it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b55097a98c.png

OldBoy 08-25-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13794857)
Naw, little dudes are different collectibles. The cheat codes show up as question marks but when you grab them are 3.5" floppy disks.

I think it's more you get used to the traversing more so than the game eases up on it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b55097a98c.png

thanks Rich. fuck, i want infinite ammo! yeah, i got a couple of those floppies (may have gotten that one in the Super Gore Nest level). just thought they were another trinket that unlocks art work or something. how do i access? and if i use, does progress and achievements all remain intact?

andicus 08-25-20 10:43 AM

Some achievements require you to use different cheat codes.

I played through, to completion, first. Then I replayed some levels using cheat codes to get different achievements.

I don't know if there are achievements that are unattainable once you have used a cheat code, but I don't believe there are.

OldBoy 08-25-20 12:38 PM

Ok, I got it now. So cheat codes can only be used once you’ve completed a mission and want to go back, not during first play through of campaign, correct?

andicus 08-25-20 02:14 PM

I don't know about that. That's just the way I chose to use them. Actually, not after a mission, but after completing the whole game.

When you're selecting your mission, you'll see the option to activate cheat codes at the lower left of the screen. I just don't know whether or not that option is available for missions you haven't completed, since I've completed all of them.

OldBoy 08-25-20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13795011)
I don't know about that. That's just the way I chose to use them. Actually, not after a mission, but after completing the whole game.

When you're selecting your mission, you'll see the option to activate cheat codes at the lower left of the screen. I just don't know whether or not that option is available for missions you haven't completed, since I've completed all of them.

i hear ya. i don't think you would even be able to select an unfinished mission. either way, we'll see when i am done...

RichC2 08-25-20 09:43 PM

I made it pretty far into this before realizing a chainsaw kill basically reloads all your guns. Was that a rune or just by design cuz immadumfuk

OldBoy 08-25-20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13795279)
I made it pretty far into this before realizing a chainsaw kill basically reloads all your guns. Was that a rune or just by design cuz immadumfuk

a chainsaw kill always gave ammo, even in 2016. I believe says in the info scenes during loading screens.

RichC2 08-25-20 10:39 PM

I should read more often.