Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Speedstorm (Free-to-play, all platforms, 9/28/2023)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Does anyone know when regular access is? Excited about this!

https://disneyspeedstorm.com/

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-27-23 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
Re: Disney Speedstorm (early access 4/18/2023), free-2-play, every platform.

The F2P model is designed to be really nebulous about when they'll come off "Early Access". It gives them a lot of latitude about the game and their policies and keeps them review-proof.
Old 04-18-23, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't resist, downloading Went in for the whole $70 shebang. If I get 70 hours out of it I will consider it a wash. I'll spend more money on it once I reach that treshold keeping the dollar to hour ratio. Steam is having issues so against my better judgment bought on Epic.
Old 04-18-23, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, ok, I don't regret this You get shards, in-game currency, by doing certain tasks like winning but you get some each race by just finishing or drifting or boosting etc. so eventually you'll get everywhere. At 1.5 minutes a race it'll take me 2800 races This game is a blast. There's a practice mode with adjustable CPU (with 0 being an option), steering assist, auto accelerate, and all tracks and characters unlocked. Bring on Sully!

So there's two kinds of multiplayer and I unlocked on so far, came in 6/6 and 3/8 in two races, and just participating game me rewards so if you come in last enough times you'll unlock everything.

There's 3 different kinds of currency, character currencies you get in story mode, multiplayer currency to buy certain items, and another currency called a season pass I haven't unlocked that gets you the rest of the coins.

Paying just gets you there faster.

So ONE race a chapter you have to get top 3, I got 2 on first try and I suck at racers. You can set up the race to be really easy and if you keep losing you still earn rewards to level up and hopefully eventually place top 3. I just unlocked my first character. I haven't unlocked 2 race modes yet, one is the season pass which I want so I can start earning that currency and get the big big box.

When you do multiplayer it randomly allows you to choose racers you haven't unlocked yet.

I figured this was Disney, they had to make it accessible to little kids, right? (who undoubtely play a lot better than me).

In multiplayer it tell you if you're PC or console and I'm the only one doing PC so far out of 12 other people. And if PC it says Steam or Epic. So far it launches flawlessly and quickly.

I've sunk 87 minutes into this so far. I'll do story mode first so that I unlock all the modes then focus on season pass. They also have limited runs (it tells you how much time is left) to collect stuff. Another 30 minutes and I'm going to have to stop playing or I could easily put a few hours into this.

It looks like I have seven more races to get the Season Tour unlock I want with the golden diamond currency, including one top 3 requirement. May not get there today just because of lack of time, but any gaming time I put in in the near future is all going to be this game, Advance Wars Switch, and Lego Racers.

Mario Kart never grabbed me like this.

So for those worried about monetization, it's not needed. And for those without money or skills, it looks like at the most you will miss out on collectibles but not racers or courses.

I'll be the only one buying this game here so I'll be your resident expert

BTW the Internet Experts are saying the F2P will prob be Dec 2023 or early 2024.

I won't be getting the limited time runs, those are technical stuff, i.e. do this and this and this and win. Drift, boost, etc. There is so much to do in this thing. Six more races until Season Pass is unlocked.

I'm encountering more place to progress races. Hopefully upgrading cars make it easy to progress. Each day they give you a free item. Five more races to unlock Season Pass but I won't get to play for a few hours now. So far just random stuff is only attainable by being good, I have a feeling that if you put either money or time you'll get most of the stuff, I'm going for time.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-18-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-19-23, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My four year old played this yesterday, first time she has played a video game. That alone was worth the 70 bucks. All she had to do was hold the controller I had her in a solo race with no opponents and 8 laps. Today I'll get the Xbox wireless controller and do split screen with her. She'll love having adjacent cars.
​​​​
I have three and a half hours into it.
Old 04-20-23, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Only 6 tracks?
I mean, if it's gonna be a good game, I'd rather they just give us a complete product for us to buy, rather than this piecemeal, nickle & dime bullshit.
Guess that's how they make their money upfront. Unfortunately, there's been way too many instances of games like this being abandoned before they're properly fleshed out. At least this game is supposed to be good, however incomplete it may be right now.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (04-25-23)
Old 04-20-23, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's eight tracks. All unlocked along with all characters in local mode.
Old 04-20-23, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Only 6 tracks?
I mean, if it's gonna be a good game, I'd rather they just give us a complete product for us to buy, rather than this piecemeal, nickle & dime bullshit.
Guess that's how they make their money upfront. Unfortunately, there's been way too many instances of games like this being abandoned before they're properly fleshed out. At least this game is supposed to be good, however incomplete it may be right now.
Yeah, I have zero interest in a F2P game. They always feel like a money grab to me, which is several times sleazier somehow when it's a Disney-licensed game.
I'll buy that cute new Switch Mickey platforming game, and that Lego racer, but not this.
Old 04-20-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having a blast with it. I just view it as a $70 game.

BTW you DON'T have to spent anything on this game.
Old 04-20-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I'm having a blast with it. I just view it as a $70 game.

BTW you DON'T have to spent anything on this game.
Other than $70.
Old 04-20-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Other than $70.
Key word being have to. I viewed it as a $70 game and made my decision based on that. Am I going to get enough out of it from now until general release? Yes. So I bit.
Old 04-20-23, 03:11 PM

What are you getting for $70? Is that equivalent to a full $70 game's worth of content?
Old 04-20-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
What are you getting for $70? Is that equivalent to a full $70 game's worth of content?
The time I spent on it. I will have 70 hours on it by when it comes out general, September at the earliest, probably early 2024.

BTW they give you free stuff by playing. By the time it comes out for everyone I will have tons of free stuff that may not ever be available for future adopters. Mike and Sully are unlockable even by people who suck like me and by then you will need to be good to unlock them. It's constant stuff you can get. Tons of different currency given just by playing, and get more stuff with it.

The first day I participated in my first ever Twitch Drop and I got 3 items for free. I pretty much looked at, is being able to play it now worth it for me. This is the first game I ever get on release day, and I don't buy that many games to begin with. Honestly calculated 3 hours movies and $20 a month AMC pass, I only need 54 hours to make it the same level of entertainment. I have over 5 hours already. I didn't play today because I maxed out my ability in what's open so far but this "season" to get Sully and Mike is a fourth released and I'm going to wait until the next quarter which is being released tomorrow to continue building up the unlock, it seems doable even for me without spending anything. And every day I log in and do my freebie. I also enjoy participating in the Reddit group. The whole new release hype. The actual gameplay is fantastic, the graphics, the music. I have a feeling based on what's being released this is going to be a play a lot, skip a day, play a lot, skip a week, etc.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-20-23 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-20-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Only 6 tracks?
I was interested in this but only 8 tracks isn't even half a game, and for $70? I don't think so.

I've been playing Disney Emoji Blitz on my phone for 5 years. It's been a decent F2P game for the last 4 years but the last year or so it has become a complete money grab / gambling simulator. So Disney gaming doesn't presently have a decent F2P track record for me.

So pass for now. I'll check back when it's a complete game or when it's free on PS+.
Old 04-20-23, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW you can pay 30 bucks and start playing it now and if you're good enough unlock everything.
Old 04-20-23, 10:18 PM

Man the screenshots look terrible from the Switch version

Old 04-20-23, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I was gonna buy this and then I just moved on with my life.
Old 04-22-23, 12:34 PM

Well there’s a free 2-hour full game trial on PS5 for PS Plus Premium members, so I figured I would download it and give it a quick try.
Just did a few races. It looks fine. Competent racer, handles pretty well. But so little content. I might dig into it some more later, but man, this isn’t giving you much for $30 asking price.
Then I watched the IGN review. This game’s in-game economy is nuts, just bonkers. Can’t believe they’re targeting this to kids. It’s way grosser than even I imagined. Watch the video
Old 04-25-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

F2P + Disney + A kids racer = ????

Seriously can't believe they are doing this. This seems much worse then what EA did with Star Wars Battlefront and look at the backlash that got from the public and Disney. Why are they allowing this? Just sell a $70 game. Yeah Disney doesn't have the best track record when it comes to games for me. There have been so many games that have been terrible/money grab/abandoned. I can't tell if Disney needs to exert more control or less when it comes to their video game licenses. I just don't think they are careful, or interested, enough in the sector to produce quality content.
Old 04-29-23, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So let me give you a glimpse of the monetization. Figment was a hot ticket item. They currently have a mission to get him which ends in like 8 days. In orders to get enough shards to get him as a playable character, you need to be in the top 100% of that mission. The higher in the percentage you are, the more optimization parts, in-game currency, cosmetics you get.
Old 04-29-23, 12:09 PM

Sounds fun.
Old 04-29-23, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having a blast with it. I have just under seven hours in. The whole game is built around you get something for just showing up, something for just playing, and the better you play the more you get but mostly bigger better faster cars and cosmetics, I think eventually you will get all racers and courses by just playing.

BTW top 100 percent. EVERYONE who does one race will get figment. You place higher, you get more character currency to unlock more figment skills and powerups.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-29-23 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 04-29-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Notice how there's really no one complaining here who owns the game and I'm not seeing complaints from people who went out and bought it. It's an accessible game with something for everyone. For the original price of entry you will get a ton of content added to it. How are participant rewards NOT a good thing when it comes to new content for a paid game? They're layering this so that both beginners and die-hards will find something to do. Seriously, first complain that this will be wholly pay to play, then complain when they just give you stuff.
Old 04-29-23, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Welcome to DVD Talk: Video Games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.