Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RESIDENT EVIL 2: Xbox One / PS4 / PC - January 25, 2019

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: RESIDENT EVIL 2: Xbox One / PS4 / PC - January 25, 2019

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i really wish there was some kind of melee option (even just hands or shake off), but that is minor nitpick...

anyone know if way to delete a saved game?
Yeah, it sucked that the only way to knock em back was after they grabbed you and only if you had a knife or grenade. Just yelling at Leon to freaking shove them back, lol.

holy fuckballs. that
Spoiler:
alligator scene
in the sewers was really cool...
They removed several other monsters from the remake, but was happy they kept this one.

Old 02-05-19, 07:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So, I don’t know the lore or timeline of the games, by where does this fit in? Is it direct sequel to original that was remade a billion times? I played a little of first, but just rember lumbering and didn’t take to it. That was Chris Redfield, right? Is this same time line, different story?
Old 02-05-19, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Koby
Yeah, it sucked that the only way to knock em back was after they grabbed you and only if you had a knife or grenade. Just yelling at Leon to freaking shove them back, lol.

They removed several other monsters from the remake, but was happy they kept this one.
why did they do that? I thought this was bigger and badder?
Old 02-05-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I don’t know the lore or timeline of the games, by where does this fit in? Is it direct sequel to original that was remade a billion times? I played a little of first, but just rember lumbering and didn’t take to it. That was Chris Redfield, right? Is this same time line, different story?
It's not a sequel to RE2, it is RE2. It's a remake of the second one from the ground up; hence why they kept the name.
  • RE0 is Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen on a train at the beginning of the game.
  • RE1 is Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, when they traversed the Mansion.
  • RE2 is Claire and Leon going through the Racoon Police Department, etc.
  • RE3 takes place pretty much the same time as RE2 and follows Jill Valentine around Raccoon City with Nemesis chasing her.
  • RE: Code Veronica is Claire Redfield and Chris Redfield on an Island.
  • RE4 is Leon Kennedy somewhere in Spain.
  • RE5 is Chris Redfield and Sheva.
  • RE6 is Leon S. Kennedy, Helena Harper, Chris Redfield, Piers Nivans, Jake Muller, Sherry Birkin, and Ada Wong across 3 campaigns traversing all over the globe.
  • RE7 is a side-story with new characters.
  • Revelations 1 is Jill Valentine on a ship.
  • Revelations 2 is Claire Redfield and Moira Burton as well as Barry Burton and Natalia Korda on another island.

why did they do that? I thought this was bigger and badder?
It's certainly bigger, but that doesn't mean things weren't removed in favor of other things. There are a lot of changes, removals, and new things. All in all, it's a very good mix and brings back nostalgia for those who played the original version 21 years ago.

Old 02-05-19, 07:47 PM

No, I didn’t mean sequel to RE2, I meant the original Resident Evil, remastered or whatever for GameCube, Xbox, etc...
Old 02-05-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I didn’t mean sequel to RE2, I meant the original Resident Evil, remastered or whatever for GameCube, Xbox, etc...
Yes, all of the RE games follow the same chronological universe.

In this chart, Time is what year in the RE universe the plot takes place in:

Old 02-06-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously dude? The game is called RESIDENT EVIL 2. Seems pretty logical that it would be the sequel to Resident Evil. For that matter, you could have just typed in Resident Evil timeline on YouTube and got a bunch of videos explaining everything.

Started playing a little bit of it so far and this is definitely good. It feels similar enough to the original that the familiar beats are there, but different enough so that it feels new. Two biggest differences for me so far are how difficult it is now that you can't use the old shoot them in the knees and knife them to death approach(you can use the knife as a melee weapon, but it degrades it with each use, and it degrades quicker if you use it to get a zombie off you). I also have a hard time adjusting to Leon's new voice actor. He just doesn't sound right. But overall great remake so far. It feels like Capcom could probably do nothing now but redo old games and be successful.
Old 02-06-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

To be fair, in the day and age of prequels, side stories, and pseudo-sequels it's easy to not be entirely sure that something labeled with a "2" really sits chronologically. Just like the chart stating Resident Evil 3's first half occurs before Resident Evil 2 and concludes after it.

But yeah, you lose nothing if you just play RE1 and then RE2. Or really just RE2 as a standalone.
Old 02-06-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
To be fair, in the day and age of prequels, side stories, and pseudo-sequels it's easy to not be entirely sure that something labeled with a "2" really sits chronologically. Just like the chart stating Resident Evil 3's first half occurs before Resident Evil 2 and concludes after it.

But yeah, you lose nothing if you just play RE1 and then RE2. Or really just RE2 as a standalone.
But the Resident Evil series has for the most part always been pretty linear in terms of the main numbered games timelines. The only weird outliers are Code Vernoica and RE3 since CV is the real RE3, and RE3 was supposed to be a side game. This is nowhere near Kingdom Hearts level goofiness. Or you know, he could have just taken five seconds and gone to Wikipedia to find out it was a direct sequel to Resident Evil.
Old 02-06-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Not a huge fan of the breakable knife thing.
Old 02-06-19, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Not a huge fan of the breakable knife thing.
it's not always broke. sometimes if you stab and then kill a zombie (not with knife) you can get it back...
Old 02-09-19, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Decided to play Claire's 1st run first instead to get it out of the way. Beat it in about 6 hours. Could've been much faster but I circled back a few times to get a few last minute things and whatnot.
Guess Leon's 2nd Run is next on the agenda.
Old 02-09-19, 11:29 AM

what's the difference and/or benefits to a second run? i see this on wiki's about 1st and 2nd runs and different placement of certain objects, but what is the point?
Old 02-09-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's the difference and/or benefits to a second run? i see this on wiki's about 1st and 2nd runs and different placement of certain objects, but what is the point?
In game it mentions it has a "different ending", but since I've only played the first runs of both characters, I can't comment on how much is different just yet, but I'll be sure to let you know in a few days hopefully.
Old 02-09-19, 12:37 PM

In game it mentions it has a "different ending", but since I've only played the first runs of both characters, I can't comment on how much is different just yet, but I'll be sure to let you know in a few days hopefully.
k. just no spoilers
Old 02-10-19, 09:21 PM

The gameplay and puzzle design in this is phenomenal. I mean hard as hell, but when you get that right combo and here something turn on or open is such gratification...
Old 02-10-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

The 2nd run (I only did Claire’s) was fun. Without spoiling it, Mr.X does show up a lot sooner. Obviously harder enemies, different locations of enemies and items. Different cutscenes, too. I put it on assisted mode (after doing normal in my first run) and it was still a challenge. I think Claire gets better weapons than Leon though.
Old 02-11-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't post spoilers outside of a spoiler tag.

Finished Leon's 2nd Run now. Also did the 4th Nightmare Extra where you play as Hunk. So all that's left for me is Claire's 2nd Run before the new free DLC this Friday.

Leon's 2nd run was a bit different at the beginning as to how he ends up in the station and what order he goes through it, but then the sewers & lab was identical to the first run. The only difference after the station that I noticed anyways was that there was
Spoiler:
an additional boss fight and another cutscene past where the 1st run ended.

Claire's 1st run and Leon's 2nd run were the ones considered canon in the original version. Although they kind of threw some parts into both that otherwise logically do not make the two fit together.

Like for example:
Spoiler:
In Claire's 1st run Birkin takes out Tyrant earlier in the game, yet Leon still fights Tyrant in the end. And the fact that both Leon and Claire have to fight Birkin at the same point in the lab, which obviously wouldn't make sense if you merged the two runs into one coherent story.
Old 02-14-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Tomorrow will see the release of Resident Evil 2's free Ghost Survivors DLC, so to get you ready, Capcom has released some salient details on what the new 'what if?' scenarios will entail. Robert Kendo, Katherine Warren, and special operative Ghost will each have their own chapter, revealing what could have been.

Within the Resident Evil 2 canon, none of the trio make it through the Raccoon City outbreak alive, but the three DLC episodes reveal what might have happened if they had. In 'No Time to Mourn' gun store owner Kendo finds himself keeping the undead hordes at bay while waiting for a rescue helicopter to arrive. Apparently, there will be new poisonous zombies to contend with too. Eep.

'Runaway' will feature mayor's daughter Katherine Warren, fighting for her life against a zombie mutation that's susceptible only to powerful ammunition, while 'Forgotten Soldier' has you playing as Ghost, a member of Hunk's USS unit assigned with obtaining the G-Virus. In this one, you'll battle armoured enemies using an arsenal of military weaponry. Ghost Survivors will also add new character accessories, challenges, and achievements.

You'll be able to play Ghost Survivors in Resident Evil 2 from 15th February on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.
https://www.xboxachievements.com/new...-Tomorrow.html
Old 02-14-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What time should the DLC go live today?
Old 02-16-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I'm just terrible or maybe they're just nearly impossibly hard, but I've tried and tried dozens of times and haven't been able to complete any of the new "Ghost Survivor" DLC runs.
Old 02-16-19, 08:58 PM

Do you access dlc in bonus section of main screen? No need to download something separately?
Old 02-16-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you access dlc in bonus section of main screen? No need to download something separately?
I'm playing the PS4 version, and with it when I went to play the game it said there was an update it had to install. The new scenarios/dlc was part of that required update.

The retro vintage costume they released Friday though had to manually be downloaded from the PSN store.
Old 02-17-19, 07:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe I'm just terrible or maybe they're just nearly impossibly hard, but I've tried and tried dozens of times and haven't been able to complete any of the new "Ghost Survivor" DLC runs.
You're not wrong, closest I've gotten was in the gun store scenario (in training mode), where the end was in sight but I tried to bum rush it and got chomped by a plant zombie.
Old 02-20-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Started playing yesterday, Playing as Claire first (I love her)

Wow this game is fucking awesome, The added and remixed stuff is sweet.
Spoiler:
Running into Leon and having Marvin survive longer is a nice added touch
. Graphics, sound and gore are top notch. Plus auto checkpoints help a lot.

And then MR. X showed up

... back to game

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.