Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-18, 01:05 PM   #76
Coral
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Forza Horizon 4 - 10/2/18 - XB1 & PC

I've never played any of the Forza series before, and since I had a month left on Game Pass - I gave FH4 a download.

First off, the graphics in this game are gorgeous. I have a hard time paying attention to the road because I'm rubber-necking the scenery.

They aren't kidding when they say it's open-world. I've just let loose and am driving anywhere and it's amazing it can load in the whole environment with it's 4K assets without any delay and very little pop-in.

I'm not playing online because I'll get my ass kicked anyway, but am enjoying it more than I thought. I usually play the F1 type games, but this is pretty fun.

Sadly, I'm only playing with a controller instead of a wheel. I'm thinking about getting a wheel, but my issue is my X1 is in the living room - so without spending big bucks or having some ugly stand sitting in my room, where can I mount the wheel while sitting on the couch?
Old 10-05-18, 01:22 PM   #77
lopper
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I played the first Horizon 5 or 6 years ago, but it came out at the same time my youngest was born and I had exactly zero free time to play it. I think I traded it in having played it for less than an hour total.

This latest one just has so much buzz around it that I'm probably going to download it today. Driving games are not my thing at all, but this looks so good, and it seems like one of those games that will stay installed on my PC and I'll want to revisit it for a while to come.
Old 10-05-18, 01:29 PM   #78
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Tip: If you're having trouble with any specific barn find, I suggest using the Drone Mode to find it. Once you do, and move close enough to it, the exact position will be added to your map, so you don't have to keep driving around looking for it.

Also, all the barns look the same. So once you know what the first one looks like, you'll know what to look for.
Old 10-08-18, 08:47 AM   #79
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Found all 531 roads! That was quite a chore.
Old 10-08-18, 09:21 AM   #80
GoVegan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Tip: If you're having trouble with any specific barn find, I suggest using the Drone Mode to find it. Once you do, and move close enough to it, the exact position will be added to your map, so you don't have to keep driving around looking for it.

Also, all the barns look the same. So once you know what the first one looks like, you'll know what to look for.
I used to always just do a circular sweep through the barn find area, but this time I noticed that they're frequently at the end of an old, unmarked road. So you can usually drive down the roads in the right area, looking for an old-looking gate in front of an unpaved road, then follow that.
Old 10-08-18, 11:19 AM   #81
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

I finally started playing this a bit last nigh. It called me Stanley right away.

Being able to play this with a high frame rate on my One X certainly gives it a different feel then before.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-08-18, 04:17 PM   #82
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

This Mixer integration is amazing. Not because I care about Mixer, but because I can go to sleep, wake up, and...oh, 10 wheelspins!

Just log into Mixer with your Microsoft account and look for a FH4 streamer with a blue ribbon.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-08-18, 07:06 PM   #83
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Found all 531 roads! That was quite a chore.
Impossible! There are only 529...
Old 10-08-18, 10:54 PM   #84
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Filthy lies!

Old 10-09-18, 08:05 AM   #85
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
This Mixer integration is amazing. Not because I care about Mixer, but because I can go to sleep, wake up, and...oh, 10 wheelspins!

Just log into Mixer with your Microsoft account and look for a FH4 streamer with a blue ribbon.
Sorry to be that guy but what does that do? I know Mixer is a streaming platform but are you saying you don't have to stream or do anything...just go to that area and get free spins?
Old 10-09-18, 08:14 AM   #86
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Sorry to be that guy but what does that do?
Every 2 minutes you stream FH4 on Mixer on your Xbox, you get influence and up your Mixer status.

Every 5 minutes you watch streams of FH4 on Mixer, you also get influence and up your Mixer levels.

So, it's a way to accelerate your progression and get more wheelspins. Right now, at least, there's no daily cap. (I'm sure one is coming, though.) So you can just go to a stream like https://mixer.com/Ponomar (making sure you're signed in with a Mixer account associated with your XBL profile), leave it open on your web browser, go to sleep, go to work, make dinner, fire up Forza, and have 16 hours or whatever worth of influence flooding in at once. And since you can stream on Mixer when you're actively playing, you never stop having influence coming in. You're gaining influence, leveling up, etc. when you're playing, and you're gaining it when you're not.

It's cheap, but my wife is eyeing a castle (along with more emotes, more jackets, etc.), so she's okay with it.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-09-18, 07:48 PM   #87
Matt

I'm playing this on Game Pass at least through the end of the month. Gamertag is Inky (formerly Matty1138). Please feel free to add me as a friend (I've already added a few of you). I am also more into comparing stats than live racing.

Last edited by Matt; 10-10-18 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-10-18, 08:42 AM   #88
GoVegan

The live racing can be a bit annoying: opponents with trucks whose entire racing style is just pushing all the other cars around; teammates who intentionally knock you out of bounds, etc. I wish you could enter by vehicle class. I'm not sure what to do about people who don't understand that taking out your own team members means you're probably going to lose.
Old 10-10-18, 10:27 AM   #89
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Every 2 minutes you stream FH4 on Mixer on your Xbox, you get influence and up your Mixer status.

Every 5 minutes you watch streams of FH4 on Mixer, you also get influence and up your Mixer levels.

So, it's a way to accelerate your progression and get more wheelspins. Right now, at least, there's no daily cap. (I'm sure one is coming, though.) So you can just go to a stream like https://mixer.com/Ponomar (making sure you're signed in with a Mixer account associated with your XBL profile), leave it open on your web browser, go to sleep, go to work, make dinner, fire up Forza, and have 16 hours or whatever worth of influence flooding in at once. And since you can stream on Mixer when you're actively playing, you never stop having influence coming in. You're gaining influence, leveling up, etc. when you're playing, and you're gaining it when you're not.

It's cheap, but my wife is eyeing a castle (along with more emotes, more jackets, etc.), so she's okay with it.
I had no idea about this either. I'm going to give it a shot today. I just turned down the volume and letting it run on my computer all day.
Old 10-11-18, 09:17 PM   #90
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Are skill points car specific now? If so, that really sucks.
Old 10-11-18, 09:52 PM   #91
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, every car has its own skill tree. I preferred it the old way too.
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-12-18, 06:50 AM   #92
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn't really suck imo, its pretty cool. Plus you earn skill points pretty easily.

I mean the "points" are not car specific, but the unlocks are.
Old 10-12-18, 02:12 PM   #93
mugwump
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It just makes me less likely to use other cars unless forced to. I'm pretty much playing through with the starter Subaru rally car since I have a lot of perks unlocked and know how it handles.