Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Will you buy more than one console in the next console generation?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you buy more than one console next console generation?
Yes
30.00%
No
50.00%
Eh, maybe
20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had more than one console going back to the PS2/Xbox/GameCube years. I did this because I wanted to make sure that I had whatever console had games that I wanted to play on it.

Well, doing this has so far lead me to realize a couple of things over the years:

1. I don't have time to play that many consoles.

2.Companies do not seem to release enough exclusives at a fast enough pace that owning multiple ones are beneficial.

3. It feels like it just causes me to buy more games that I do not play.

Honestly when the next console cycle starts up, I can't think of a damn reason for me to own all three. PlayStation for the most part is my go to console, while my Xbox and Switch collect dust. With the potential for mid-console upgrades now a realistic possibility, it gives me even less motivation to own all three.
Old 08-27-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Will you buy more than one console in the next console generation?

Yes, I plan on it. Since I got back in to consoles the last gen after being a PC gamer, i've owned a 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, Xbox One, PS4, and Switch. Even though I'm also having less time for games, each console has offered enough that makes me feel like they're worth owning.

Maybe not all at launch, but usually eventually after a price cut or something.
Old 08-27-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

At launch? Maybe not. Well, at least not all of them, I already have a Switch and will probably get the next Playstation, then wait a bit on the Xbox if at all. I barely play my Xbox at this point, and that's mainly because I buy most cross platform titles on the Playstation, which has the added benefit of having support from Japanese studios.

Eh, who am I kidding, I say this every time and yet every time I get suckered into launch day consoles.
Old 08-27-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I've had more than one console going back to the PS2/Xbox/GameCube years. I did this because I wanted to make sure that I had whatever console had games that I wanted to play on it.
Ditto. (Well, with the exception of the PS2, but I've consistently lived with someone who owned one, so close enough. )

I'm sure I'll wind up buying one of everything (almost certainly at launch), and it basically boils down to first-party titles. Between Sony's titles and third-party exclusives, I can't say no to the PS5. In theory, I feel the same way about Nintendo, although my Switch has generally been collecting dust. (I'm optimistic about next year, though!) I feel like an Xbox successor would be the one I could most easily wave farewell to, but at the same time, it's the ecosystem I like the most (UI, controllers, achievements, mobile app, etc.), MS is making the most interesting moves with GamePass, backwards compatibility, and the like, and my wife would probably wind up buying an Xbox successor for Forza alone if I hadn't already gotten one. Hopefully all these recent acquisitions will make for a compelling library of exclusives. I could just play Xbox games on a PC instead, but I think I'm just more of a console guy, so whatever.
Old 08-27-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

My Pattern has been:

Xbox

Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

Xbox One, PS4

I probably will get at least a couple next time around.
Old 08-27-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Not at launch but I'm sure I will eventually. My XB1 is basically just a Plex/Kodi/Netflix box at this point so I'd have no need to buy a new one without any major exclusives, which couldn't be played on PC. For gaming I've converted to mostly PC and Switch.
Old 08-27-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've only ever owned Playstations, starting with the first one. I've played friend's consoles of other kinds, but never felt like I needed to own one. I don't see this changing, unless something dramatic happens. There's enough games to keep me occupied throughout the lifestyle. I don't play online, so I don't have to worry about what my friends are playing on.
Old 08-27-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm a sucker for the shiny, new toy... so yes, I'll own the latest PS and Xbox. But I won't respect myself in the morning. I almost exclusively play Xbox but there are just enough PS4 exclusives to keep me buying in.
Old 08-27-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've only ever owned Playstations, starting with the first one. I've played friend's consoles of other kinds, but never felt like I needed to own one. I don't see this changing, unless something dramatic happens. There's enough games to keep me occupied throughout the lifestyle. I don't play online, so I don't have to worry about what my friends are playing on.
I think earlier on, there was reason to buy both, and not just for the exclusives. But the last generation has been so similar in terms of execution, and the main differences in cross platform titles are stuff that one company or another has paid to be exclusive. Add to this that you have to pay for online play for both (and soon on the Switch) and I just don't see the point.

Launch day consoles are suckers bets anyway, since very very few launch titles are really worth playing and by the time the good stuff comes out, the launch wrinkles are ironed out and the older games are cheaper. Maybe I'm just bothered that this current generation launched with mostly inferior playback capability compared to the older generation, no backwards compatibility, and no games that anyone would really consider classics (the Switch had BotW, but that's only because they held it back on WiiU). The sync issue on Blu Rays on the Xbox One was terrible, and in the beginning the harmony remote support on both was sub par.
Old 08-27-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I could skip the next 2 generations and still be trying to catch up on backlog from this one.
Old 08-27-18, 02:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Depends.
Old 08-27-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I could skip the next 2 generations and still be trying to catch up on backlog from this one.
BINGO!!!...If you look at the games that have come in the last couple of years and coming shortly thru out next year, there's plenty to play and do. And there are some serious good games that have and will have some life for awhile. Some good single player and some good co-op one also.

The kicker will be how long DEVs keep up support along with servers. Every New Gen comes along, they have to split up resources to deal with the new while maintaining the old. It can become costly balancing the fact of how large the player base is and will be.

That said I waited almost a year before going from Xbox to 360 but I did get the launch PS4. I don't see that happening this time around; As Stinger pointed out....just to much of a backlog and too many good games will still be out there to play...
Old 08-27-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'll probably skip the Xbox going forward. But will likely coninue buying the others.
Old 08-27-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes, because I'm a tech addict.
Old 08-27-18, 07:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I’ve owned at least one console of each generation since before the Atari 2600, but I might finally be done buying consoles. My Xbox One has been used every day since pretty much launch, but maybe a few hours total for gaming.
Old 08-27-18, 08:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I barely have time for one game, one console. Really don’t see the point. That’s a whole lotta money...
Old 08-27-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

My Pattern has been:

Gamecube, Xbox

Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

Xbox One, PS4, WiiU

===============

Will probably just roll with a PS5 next time out. Switch has no appeal* with it being nothing more than WiiU2 complete with its rehashed WiiU library. As for Xbox, they shit the bed this gen and 343 followed suit by killing Halo.

Xbox 4 probably still has a chance to make it in my house given MS's penchant for buying exclusives. Tomb Raider is the reason I have an Xbox One.

*unless they get their heads out of their Mushroom Kingdom asses and revisit other franchises like Pikmin, Waverace and F-Zero.
Old 08-27-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I always say no but I always wind up buying all three. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft can count on me to buy their systems. What I won't do again is buy a mid generation upgrade like I did with the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X.
Old 08-27-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I always say no but I always wind up buying all three. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft can count on me to buy their systems. What I won't do again is buy a mid generation upgrade like I did with the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X.
Isn't that what the Switch is too?
Old 08-27-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've actually never owned more than one console in the same generation until this generation.

I currently have a PS4 and a Switch, but the Switch is the first Nintendo console that I've owned since the SNES. After NES and SNES, I moved to PlayStation, and have owed PS1-PS4. I've never owned a Microsoft console, and don't really have any desire to own one.
Old 08-28-18, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I feel like an Xbox successor would be the one I could most easily wave farewell to, but at the same time, it's the ecosystem I like the most (UI, controllers, achievements, mobile app, etc.), MS is making the most interesting moves with GamePass, backwards compatibility, and the like, and my wife would probably wind up buying an Xbox successor for Forza alone if I hadn't already gotten one. Hopefully all these recent acquisitions will make for a compelling library of exclusives. I could just play Xbox games on a PC instead, but I think I'm just more of a console guy, so whatever.
Even though my favorite games this generation have been mostly from Sony, many of those reasons are also why Xbox still remains my primary platform. If they maintain their consumer friendly stance and continue to make compelling innovations that are positive for their users, I'll continue to buy Xbox consoles. Plus, I use the Xbox One X as an all around media player.

For me, i've gone the following based on order of purchase, only skipping the WiiU.

PS2
360, Wii, PS3
XB1, PS4, Switch
Old 08-28-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I always do.

PS2, Gamecube
Xbox 360, Wii (although the Wii was my wife's originally), PS3
Xbox One

so far. Considering a PS4 in the near future. Not much interest in the Switch stuff.
Old 08-28-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I have a PS4 and XBox One S right now. The was the 1st time I've had multiple consoles. Before I was strictly an XBox and then XBox 360 person.

I really don't know if I will have the time or money to get the PS5 or whatever the next XBox console is. Let alone own two of them. I'm slowly realizing it as I'm getting older, but I'm just not a hard core enough gamer to spend 2, 3, 4 hours a day gaming.
Old 08-28-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’ll probably buy whatever the next Nintendo offering is (though I don’t expect it for a while) and will decide between Xbox and PlayStation. I have a One currently and wish I had a PS4 instead but we’ll see what’s exclusive when both are revealed. Either way I’m in no rush to jump into buying a new console.
Old 08-28-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I’m only in for the next Sony console for sure as I owned a PlayStation since the beginning. I was really disappointed that they decided not to include a 4K Blu-Ray player on the Pro and was very close on purchasing an XBox One X, early this summer. That will be the only way to get me to buy 2 different consoles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.