Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Genesis Classics Coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

Old 03-16-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sega Genesis Classics Coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

Sega Genesis Classics will bring more than 50 of the best known Sega Genesis games to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on May 29, Sega announced. But Nintendo Switch is distressingly excluded from that lineup, as many Sega fans are pointing out on the companyís Twitter.

While demands for a Switch version of, uh, pretty much any game ever run rampant, it hurts that Sega Genesis Classics wonít hit the Nintendo system especially with the Wii Shop Channel winding down and no Switch Virtual Console in sight.

The full list includes titles like Altered Beast, Phantasy Star 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage and Toejam & Earl: all stone-cold classics, according to Polygonís most hardcore Genesis nerds.

(There are many more in the currently available PC version of Sega Genesis Classics, which will receive an upgrade on May 29 as well; that update will bring Landstalker:

The Treasures of King Nole to the set at no added cost to existing owners.)
The game will also include online and offline multiplayer for several games, as well as ďgraphic enhancement filters.Ē

A horizontal flip mode will allow players to give any Sega Genesis classic a more challenging mirror mode.

Many of the most familiar of these games have been re-released time and again over the years, including in a handful of similar Sega compilations.

But those have typically skipped Nintendo platforms for whatever reason; the 48 game-deep Sonicís Ultimate Genesis Collection from 2009 only launched on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, for example.

That left many Nintendo console owners to seek out other ways to replay Sega gems. Thankfully, they got some help from Nintendo itself, courtesy of the Virtual Console.

A total of 73 Sega Genesis games are available on the North American Wii Shop Channel, which remains the only one of Nintendoís digital marketplaces to sell titles from that console.

Although individually buying the best games included in Segaís own Genesis compilations was definitely pricier, itís nice to know that Nintendo Wii and Wii U owners had their own option to rediscover the Genesis.

Thatís about to change. Nintendo will stop selling Wii Points at the end of March, so customers will no longer be able to add funds to their accounts. Without any money ó and Points are the only currency that matters on the Wii Shop ó you canít buy any games; no surprise there.

Itíd be at least a little less of a bummer that thereís no Sega Genesis Classics on Switch if the Wii Shop werenít about to push buyers away ... or if, yíknow, Nintendo had released a Virtual Console for Switch by now. But more than a year into the consoleís lifespan, it seems less and less likely that Nintendo will bring back the beloved feature.

Even if a Switch Virtual Console did arrive, whoís to say that Sega would even re-release Genesis games on the eShop? All things considered, itís easy to forgive modern Sega fans and Switch owners for port-begging.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/14/17...intendo-switch
Old 03-16-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sega Genesis Classics Coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

Yeah, thereís no reason for this not to be on Switch. Unless the games will be part of the Virtual Console then whatever equivalent Switch gets. Even then though not sure why theyíd exclude Switch from getting anything. Itís not like Nintendo and Sega havenít worked together before.
Old 03-16-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Landstalker, I loved that game glad it in the collection.
Old 03-16-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Surprised it's not on Switch, having these available on a portable console would have been nice to me.
Old 03-16-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game lineup sounds pretty similar to what was on the 2009 collection, which I have for PS3. That one I think had a couple Master System titles that could be unlocked.
Old 03-16-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish Thunder Force 3 was in the collection. One of the better side shooter for the Genesis.
Old 03-16-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would love to get:

Lakers vs Bulls
Evander Holyfield Boxing
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
Old 03-16-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the Thunder Force games were great. I would consider this if its cheap enough.
Old 03-16-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Dreamcast emulation just a pipe dream still? I'd love a Dreamcast collection.
Old 03-16-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Is Dreamcast emulation just a pipe dream still? I'd love a Dreamcast collection.
So would I! The Dreamcast is one of my all time favorite consoles. I had more games and spent more time playing it than any other system I have ever owned.

Of course, I was single with no children back then, so that might a lot to do with it too.
Old 03-16-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man what I wouldn't give to play Tech Romancer again. Of course, I'm too lazy to go find my dreamcast, then figure out how to hook it up to a modern tv.
Old 03-16-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man what I wouldn't give to play Tech Romancer again. Of course, I'm too lazy to go find my dreamcast, then figure out how to hook it up to a modern tv.
I think Tech Romancer works with one of the current DC Emulators.

I occasionally play Power Stone 2 on one.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-16-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Something I thought Microsoft should have done to win back some customers was to partner with Sega on some of their properties.
Old 03-16-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Something I thought Microsoft should have done to win back some customers was to partner with Sega on some of their properties.
There have been recent rumors of a Sega acquisition by Microsoft.

I'd enjoy another Gunvalkyrie, despite the overall mix response, and their earlier partnership didn't yield a whole hell of a lot.
Old 03-16-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
There have been recent rumors of a Sega acquisition by Microsoft.

I'd enjoy another Gunvalkyrie, despite the overall mix response, and their earlier partnership didn't yield a whole hell of a lot.
I donít see the Yakuza series continuing on Xbox
Old 03-16-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I donít see the Yakuza series continuing on Xbox
I do. Microsoft needs first party software badly.
Old 03-16-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a series that needs to be ported to PC, pronto.
Old 03-17-18, 05:09 PM
Banned

Remember how well Dreamcast games were ported to the 360. This is very feasible, but probably more than a year off when they're only now doing a Genesis collection (again!)

Also, nobody should fret about this coming to Switch. I'd bet on it given the state of the market. They've clearly just been readying it for the two entrenched systems first.
Old 03-18-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We’ll most likely get Shenmue ports before part 3 comes out.