DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Google Producing New Gaming Console? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/643093-google-producing-new-gaming-console.html)

Sonny Corinthos 02-16-18 10:56 AM

Google Producing New Gaming Console?

This past week, there has been a lot of talk regarding Google’s new gaming project. The project has been given the codename “Yeti,” and it refers to the possible new console or gaming streaming service produced by the software giant Google.

In fact, using the word “console” is somewhat misleading when describing Google’s gaming project and possible new service. The “Yeti” project would actually be a cloud based gaming platform that provides users with a live streaming experience.

There are many different reasons why a company such as Google would be very attracted to the gaming industry as a whole. With eSports growing at an exponential rate and expected to be a roughly $107 billion dollar industry in 2018, the gaming market is fast becoming a “cash cow” so to speak.

The project is still in the early stages of development, but that’s only because it was delayed for a while. It was reported that Google was trying to have the new “Yeti” gaming service ready to roll for the 2017 holiday season, which has obviously passed already.

Regardless, the new service would be ideal for the next generation of gamers who don’t want to worry about purchasing new hardware, such as the physical console like a PS4, and who want to have instant access to the games.

The team over at Google isn’t new to the gaming industry as a whole. Several years ago, Google tried to enter the gaming market with an Android based gaming service, but that project fizzled out rather quickly.

Areas that Google has been involved with the gaming industry includes their YouTube Video Gaming live streaming service. YouTube, a Google owned product, is incredibly popular within the gaming community, and it’s used by many of the big gamers to broadcast their games.

Of course, the team here at SGO uses YouTube as our platform for bringing you, our fans, the best from around the world of sports gaming.

Whether or not the new “Yeti” project will go anywhere or turn into anything for Google, it’s a certainly a sign that the company is incredibly interested in jumping into the gaming industry.

It may be a cloud based streaming service, or perhaps an actual console, but one thing is certain, Google is making a run for the gaming markets.

What would Google’s cloud based service mean for the sports gamer Perhaps a more interactive experience with more up to the second live data and feedback?

http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/go...ming-industry/

Do you think there's room in the gaming world for a 4th "console?"

big e 02-16-18 12:05 PM

Re: Google Producing New Gaming Console?

Unless this does something you can't do on the PlayStation or Xbox or Switch, I don't see it going anywhere. How many android-based game systems were released over the last couple years, with the claim they would "revolutionize gaming" and ended up going nowhere? Just because this one is put out by Google doesn't mean it will fare any better. Look at the Steam Box, or whatever that thing was Valve was working on. Did it even get released?

Noonan 02-16-18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by big e (Post 13270787)
Unless this does something you can't do on the PlayStation or Xbox or Switch, I don't see it going anywhere. How many android-based game systems were released over the last couple years, with the claim they would "revolutionize gaming" and ended up going nowhere? Just because this one is put out by Google doesn't mean it will fare any better. Look at the Steam Box, or whatever that thing was Valve was working on. Did it even get released?

It was released. The current version is made by Alienware; called the Alienware Steam machine.

Mike86 02-16-18 12:23 PM

I don’t see the point of this. I mean I doubt you’re going to see a new comer this late into the game come along and make a difference. Console exclusives are about dead anyways other than Nintendo. Unless they plan to do a service to rival Steam. I think there’d have to be really good reasons for most to drop Steam and pick up whatever Google is planning though.

Noonan 02-16-18 12:25 PM

IMO, there's less than nothing Google could do to eat into Steam as a gaming service. Steam gets a lot of flack but most PC gamers live by it.

big e 02-16-18 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13270812)
IMO, there's less than nothing Google could do to eat into Steam as a gaming service. Steam gets a lot of flack but most PC gamers live by it.

Unless Google wants to make this "Steam for consoles," but even that seems pointless.

Noonan 02-16-18 12:36 PM

Another thing to point out; many indie games an developers would have never seen the light if it weren't for Steam. Loyalty runs deep.

starseed1981 02-16-18 02:30 PM

Google, Apple or Amazon could take over the industry in a heartbeat if they wanted to. It's simply a matter of their leadership wanting to invest the capital to do it. It's probably not worth it to them at this point.

Noonan 02-16-18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13270985)
Google, Apple or Amazon could take over the industry in a heartbeat if they wanted to. It's simply a matter of their leadership wanting to invest the capital to do it. It's probably not worth it to them at this point.

I doubt it, even with their resources. MS lost truck loads of money with Xbox and they still haven't penetrated foreign markets, 3 generations of systems later. Of course, if they REALLY wanted, they could just buy the devs of major game franchises and make them exclusive but MS tried that as well with Rare.

Maxflier 02-16-18 03:17 PM

Good luck with that Google.

Michael Corvin 02-16-18 08:05 PM

So Google is recreating OnLive? Sounds like vaporware to me. OnLive was ahead of its time, but I still don't think cloud gaming (at least for AAA titles) is ready for primetime.

spainlinx0 02-16-18 10:41 PM

A console requires dedication and for the company to give complete support. Google is completely ADD with everything, and this will languish and receive token support at best. They don't have the follow through to handle something like this. They will get trounced.

fumanstan 02-17-18 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13271205)
So Google is recreating OnLive? Sounds like vaporware to me. OnLive was ahead of its time, but I still don't think cloud gaming (at least for AAA titles) is ready for primetime.

Yeah, I have zero interest in streaming based gaming. Just like PS Now.

DVDTalker76 02-17-18 03:42 PM

Streaming is a joke. Agreed 100% on that front.

To me, the console market is way too saturated at this point. Google trying to cram its way in right now reminds me of MS deciding they needed a piece back in 2001 - except there was actually a degree of room for them in the space back then. Today, you already have MS in there but they are losing their foothold due to poor choices and saturation.

The degree of Switch's success has been a surprise to everyone and it's basically Sony = the mainstream choice while Nintendo = the casual/family choice. MS is playing the poor man's Sony due to the shrinking role of exclusives someone already pointed out. They may be able to stay relevant due to their bankroll and whatever loyalty to the Xbox brand remains, but what role is there for yet another competitor to play, especially one with no recognized identity in this field?

I'm a guy who once had eight consoles daisy-chained to a CRT because I had to have EVERYTHING out there. Now, even people like me are seeing redundancy in several of the boxes that could be connected up, but aren't. I just don't see a damned thing Google could do to swing me back in the other direction.

K&AJones 02-18-18 08:04 AM

if Google comes out with a so-called gaming Console.....you can bet the house & farm it will end up doing far more than games and you might not like it.....

starseed1981 02-19-18 10:33 AM

Well I think the reality is that the supply-chain and brick & mortar retail needs that the industry depended on are a thing of the past at this point. As are traditional games. "Games as a service" are becoming the primary development goal of pretty much every studio at this point. The only thing stopping a streaming service is a lack of internet infrastructure. I can't imagine that one that could support a streaming ecosystem doesn't exist within the next 10 years, even in rural areas. Interesting times...

story 02-19-18 10:40 AM

I'm a Google fanboy but this isn't for me. Unless it's some sort of crazy gamechanger that changes how we do gaming, but even that will be a prototype for down the road a little.

Rob V 02-19-18 11:23 AM

I can't imagine a single thing Google could do to make this a success other than give away the hardware and hope they can sell the hell out of software or some subscription based service. I'd still have no interest.