Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

I know I played Life is Strange because of the 2015 thread and Firewatch because of the 2016 thread. I'm looking forward to diving into the list and seeing what game Questyen 2017 brings me.
Old 12-24-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I always love these threads. Thanks for continuing the tradition!
Old 12-24-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I do like these threads, but...
Originally Posted by The Questyen
This was a fantastic year for games...
Proceeds to list games that didn't come out this year.
I kid, I kid! You gotta admit it's pretty funny.

Anyhoo, I thought 2017 was a pretty weak year for games - certainly some quality, but nowhere near as strong at 2016 or 2015, evidenced by the fact that your list so far is mostly made up of games from those years.

I'll just quickly jot down my top-3 of the year (I think they came out in 2017)
Spoiler:
1. Zelda: BoW
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Uncharted Lost Legacy
Old 12-24-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I do like these threads, but...

Proceeds to list games that didn't come out this year.
I kid, I kid! You gotta admit it's pretty funny.

Anyhoo, I thought 2017 was a pretty weak year for games - certainly some quality, but nowhere near as strong at 2016 or 2015, evidenced by the fact that your list so far is mostly made up of games from those years.

I'll just quickly jot down my top-3 of the year (I think they came out in 2017)
Spoiler:
1. Zelda: BoW
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Uncharted Lost Legacy
Sounds like you missed the first post. Just like last year first I list a top 5 non-2017 games I played this year and then on to the top twenty 2017 games.
Old 12-24-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

16. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)

Looking at the screenshot you probably think this is another one of those anime visual novel games that are all over Steam. Well it is one of those but it quickly becomes something more...

Like Pony Island that was on my list last year the less you know about this game the better and it's FREE on Steam.
Old 12-24-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

15. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PS4)

I consider myself a Resident Evil fan but after the mediocre reception for 6 (I never played it) I didn't have high hopes for them making a sequel. Thankfully Capcom learned from their mistakes (and a little from the first Outlast game) and righted the ship and made one of the best Resident Evil games. The shift to first person changes it up but it still feels like RE at its core (goofiness and all). It does start to lose steam near the end and the boss battles are the weakest part but all in all a fantastic game.
Old 12-24-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

14. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)

The campaigns for the previous two Wolfenstein titles (The New Order & The Old Blood) were great and that quality is continued here in The New Colossus. The gameplay is your standard FPS shooting and cover mechanics but where the game really shines is in its storytelling and memorable characters. The downtime in between missions where you are interacting with your fellow crew is top notch and the game does a surprising job of switching between seriousness and over the job ridiculousness with ease.
Old 12-25-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

13. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)

I would have never guessed that one of my favorite games of the year would feature Rabbids or that a game would ever release with Mario and friends using guns. Well here we are and good on Nintendo for allowing Ubisoft to take the Mario characters and do something with them that we would have never seen out of Nintendo. I'm not usually a strategy RPG fan but this one eases you in gently but definitely picks up difficulty quick and keeps you on your toes. All the characters play differently and all have their own unique weapons and ability unlocks. Some inventive boss battles and fun character moments make this a game I would recommend to any Switch owner.
Old 12-26-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Stories of Bethem: Full Moon (XB1) originally released in 2015

I had never even heard of this game until it popped up in an Xbox One sale earlier this year. I checked out some reviews mentioning it being similar to Link to the Past and since it was only $5 I gave it a shot. And like previously mentioned it is definitely a homage to Link to the Past with the big change being your character uses magic instead of melee but unlike a lot of these type of games it builds its own thing off that base game that is fantastic in its own right. It's got a good sense of humor, great music and it kept me hooked through the 20+ hours it took me to play through it. Highly recommended for action-rpg and Zelda fans.
I think I picked this up in probably the same sale that you did but have not started it yet. I think though I will probably start it very soon though as I keep hearing great things about it (or at least things I was interested in).
Old 12-26-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

^ So should I rent Mario + Rabbids or Splatoon 2 from Gamefly next? I was leaning towards Splatoon since it seems kid-friendly and the Switch was for them, but that now sounds interesting...
Old 12-26-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I think I picked this up in probably the same sale that you did but have not started it yet. I think though I will probably start it very soon though as I keep hearing great things about it (or at least things I was interested in).
Now i want to play it too! I just have no damn time with an existing long back log of games.
Old 12-26-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's the case I would just get the base game since there is no discount on the DLC in that situation.
The season pass is $9.99 on PSN and XBL so it would be a $2 discount.
Old 12-26-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
The season pass is $9.99 on PSN and XBL so it would be a $2 discount.
Because I've purchased it I don't get to see prices. It was $7.99 back when the season pass first came out. And just a heads up for anyone interested only the first two pieces of DLC have been released. The last piece is supposed to be sometime early next year.
Old 12-26-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
^ So should I rent Mario + Rabbids or Splatoon 2 from Gamefly next? I was leaning towards Splatoon since it seems kid-friendly and the Switch was for them, but that now sounds interesting...
The Splatoon games aren't my type of game so I'm not much help on that decision.
Old 12-26-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

12. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

I'm a big Ninja Theory fan so I was going to pick this up no matter what but I was especially intrigued when they mentioned they were going to make their version of an indie game with a smaller team and on a smaller scale. They are known for their fantastic performance capture work and even with a smaller budget they knock it out of the park with Hellblade. It looks amazing, the voice acting is top notch, but it's the sound design that is the real star of the show. Senua (the character you play as) suffers from psychosis so she is hearing voices almost constantly (highly recommend you play with headphones) and they do a great job of making you feel like the character. The amount of effort researching with mental health doctors and patients for this game was well spent. It includes an in depth documentary on the making of it in the extras that is well worth the watch when you finish the game.
Old 12-26-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sweet! Heavenly Sword was my favorite PS3 game and I also loved Enslaved. I'd forgotten all about them. I've never heard of Hellblade, but it's going on the wishlist now.
Old 12-26-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

11. Everybody's Golf (PS4)

For anyone unaware Everybody's Golf is the newest Hot Shot's Golf game (they decided to keep the Japanese title). I'm not a golf fan in the slightest but I used to enjoy the early PS1 Hot Shots Golf titles and the early Mario Golf stuff so I can get down with some fun golf games but it's been forever since I had gotten into one. I skipped it at launch and it wasn't until I saw some great reviews that I picked it up and I immediately got sucked right back in. Like those early Hot Shots golf games it's just super fun to play. I've now put 50+ hours into it and even though I suck compared to most people I play against online I always enjoy myself. Everybody's Golf can definitely use more courses but otherwise it's filled with stuff to do and modes to play. It's easy to learn even if you don't know much about golf but also rewards practice.
Old 12-27-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

17. Subsurface Circular (PC)

This game is from Mike Bithell the creator of Thomas Was Alone (a game I thought was fantastic) and kind of came out of nowhere. I hadn't heard anything about this game until the day it released and according to Bithell it's the first of a group of short story games he plans on making. The game is a text adventure where you play as a robot detective interviewing people on a subway train. It's a really well made story and you have some real hard choices to make. All the gameplay revolves around dialogue trees so if that isn't your bag then move on but for people who enjoy a good story Subsurface Circular is only $5 and will only take a couple hours of your time.
Really glad to see this one on the list. And thank you for doing this. I discovered gems like Pony Island cause of this.
Old 12-27-17, 03:34 PM

11. Everybody's Golf (PS4)

For anyone unaware Everybody's Golf is the newest Hot Shot's Golf game (they decided to keep the Japanese title). I'm not a golf fan in the slightest but I used to enjoy the early PS1 Hot Shots Golf titles and the early Mario Golf stuff so I can get down with some fun golf games but it's been forever since I had gotten into one. I skipped it at launch and it wasn't until I saw some great reviews that I picked it up and I immediately got sucked right back in. Like those early Hot Shots golf games it's just super fun to play. I've now put 50+ hours into it and even though I suck compared to most people I play against online I always enjoy myself. Everybody's Golf can definitely use more courses but otherwise it's filled with stuff to do and modes to play. It's easy to learn even if you don't know much about golf but also rewards practice.
I was kind of turned off by the massive amounts of DLC for this game. Looks like a F2P game, or at least a bare-bones EA release. I picked up the game recently from Red Box for $10 but haven't played it yet. I should sometime I guess

BTW : The base game in the PSN store is $19.99 on sale now.
Old 12-27-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I was kind of turned off by the massive amounts of DLC for this game. Looks like a F2P game, or at least a bare-bones EA release. I picked up the game recently from Red Box for $10 but haven't played it yet. I should sometime I guess

BTW : The base game in the PSN store is $19.99 on sale now.
I wouldn't consider 15 items a massive amount of DLC the majority of that is just cosmetic stuff since you can deck out your golfer in all types of clothing and different choices of golf carts. The only two real dlc there are the two courses one of which was free if you pre-ordered.

Most multiplayer heavy games have a bunch of that type of cosmetic stuff.
Old 12-27-17, 04:33 PM

I guess most of it is cosmetic. But there are three DLC courses there. I'm pretty sure I heard in a review that there weren't very many courses in the base game. Or at least that you had to grind to unlock them?
Old 12-27-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

It's probably pretty surprising that Breath of the Wild isn't near the top of my list since it's winning tons of game of the year awards and people are claiming it's the best Zelda game. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great game but I'm not as enamored with the open world additions as most are. But on to the stuff I did like: it looks amazing. I love the shades of color they used for the world and the new designs for Link & Zelda. It controls like a dream and the shrines are a worthy addition to make up for the lack of your typical LoZ dungeons. If you have a Switch it's a must own title and I do applaud Nintendo for being willing to make changes to the core LoZ game loop.
Old 12-27-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

12. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4)

I'm a big Ninja Theory fan so I was going to pick this up no matter what but I was especially intrigued when they mentioned they were going to make their version of an indie game with a smaller team and on a smaller scale. They are known for their fantastic performance capture work and even with a smaller budget they knock it out of the park with Hellblade. It looks amazing, the voice acting is top notch, but it's the sound design that is the real star of the show. Senua (the character you play as) suffers from psychosis so she is hearing voices almost constantly (highly recommend you play with headphones) and they do a great job of making you feel like the character. The amount of effort researching with mental health doctors and patients for this game was well spent. It includes an in depth documentary on the making of it in the extras that is well worth the watch when you finish the game.
Dude, thanks for the thread and thanks for bringing my attention to this game. I am close with several people who live with various forms of mental illness and am now very fascinated to play this game. This video from the Hellblade website is really moving:
Old 12-27-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my friends was highly recommending Hellblade to me as well.
Old 12-27-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Hellblade is my biggest disappointment of the year. The puzzles were really off putting; not clever, and overly laborious, same with the "combat". I deleted it a little more than half way through.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.