Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/Switch - May 2018)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/Switch - May 2018)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/Switch - May 2018)

So I saw this. I was wondering if this only if you preorder the digital? I looked on Amazon at physical copy but I'm confused.

Pre-order Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and receive a digital copy of Ultra Street Fighter IV after your purchase and receipt of Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. Your Ultra Street Fighter IV digital copy will be available in your library within two weeks after Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection’s launch day.
Old 04-16-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
So I saw this. I was wondering if this only if you preorder the digital? I looked on Amazon at physical copy but I'm confused.

Pre-order Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and receive a digital copy of Ultra Street Fighter IV after your purchase and receipt of Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. Your Ultra Street Fighter IV digital copy will be available in your library within two weeks after Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection’s launch day.
Should be physical too?

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/s...lection/157244
Old 04-17-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With this game around the corner, and no special edition in sight I thought I'd share what I found through instagram. This site Pix'n Love is doing their own special edition for SF30th. Comes with an 80 page artbook and four lithographs. The Switch version is sold out but XB1 and PS4 versions are still available. I personally own two artbooks for SF already, and don't exactly see a reason to nab this, but for those that don't order this before its gone.

https://www.editionspixnlove.com/rec...submit_search=

I am eager to have this game at home, and after the glowing response this game got at Final Round it feels good to know I don't have to run emulators to enjoy these games at home. I used to have every Capcom release on Dreamcast (both import and American) and for the longest time I thought the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 was arcade perfect, turns out it is not! I stumbled upon this video and the differences (some minor) I never noticed. Turns out the Alpha Collection on PS2 is home to the only arcade perfect ports of the Alpha series. It's a lengthy video, so get comfy.

Old 05-06-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A little history lesson

Old 05-29-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are having trouble getting a game started, you have to map your buttons for each game individually. For the Switch, the Start button only brings up the menu, you have to map game start to one of the shoulders. On PS4 game start is set to the touch pad, and must be mapped before starting a game. Don't know about the XB1 or Steam, but the the button mapping is the same across all platforms (I would assume).
Old 05-30-18, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really wish the d pad on the left joycon was a standard one. Almost unplayable when trying to play this in portable mode with the joycons on the side.
Old 06-01-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
really wish the d pad on the left joycon was a standard one. Almost unplayable when trying to play this in portable mode with the joycons on the side.
If you really want, you can get a joycon with a dpad for like $100 on ebay or etsy or wherever, or do the swap yourself if you feel like spending an hour or two (a lot of tiny screws and care). You can get the replacement shells with a dpad for like $10 online.

I've got more money than time these days so I used the last 15% off ebay coupon and got a pair with a dpad for like $85. With kids I can always use some spare joycons anyway.

That said I'm a joystick player when it comes to fighting games, so I picked it this up for PS4.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-01-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I haven't picked up my copy yet but I didn't have much of a problem with Ultra Street Fighter II for Switch. Then again I don't claim to be great at the games either, I just enjoy them.
Old 06-01-18, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
If you really want, you can get a joycon with a dpad for like $100 on ebay or etsy or wherever, or do the swap yourself if you feel like spending an hour or two (a lot of tiny screws and care). You can get the replacement shells with a dpad for like $10 online.

I've got more money than time these days so I used the last 15% off ebay coupon and got a pair with a dpad for like $85. With kids I can always use some spare joycons anyway.

That said I'm a joystick player when it comes to fighting games, so I picked it this up for PS4.
I was looking on amazon and ebay for joycons already modded, but the price threw me off seeing it near $100. I just want to play SF with a D pad and spending another $100 to do that is off putting. The better rated shells range from $20-30 it seems, but you do have to mod the joycon and also incurs a risk of it breaking if something goes wrong.

Hopefully the Hori dpad joycon is released in the states since the Japanese one being sold for about $25 US in july.
Old 06-03-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

What, no port of The Movie: The Game?
Old 06-03-18, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Probably won’t bother picking this up now after hearing how brutal the difficulty is on most of the games.
Old 06-03-18, 06:00 PM
Banned

Is it..? I mean, they're arcade fighters - the experience is pretty standard and I don't recall any of these games being out of the ordinary in that respect.

Anyway, great collection of games but with some serious downsides as per Capcom usual. Online is getting some spotty reviews and training modes only for the four online titles..? People are buying 12 fighting games and I'm pretty sure they're going to want to practice on the other eight games they just paid for too.

I'll be buying but not until the Black Friday digital sales. It's a shame Capcom just cannot be motivated to go 100% with any of their retro releases - this one was close but the above are absolute dealbreakers as far as full release pricing goes. Of course, as a company they will interpret sales numbers in black and white, and not as a reflection of their level of effort in the porting process.
Old 06-03-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean for the games you aren’t playing online you can just play regular to train. I can see why some people might want that option more for the online matches but even then it’s not like you can’t do the same thing. I don’t have many complaints for twelve games at $40 (or thirteen games for owners of consoles besides the Switch). Also consider that for Switch owners just last year they released Ultra Street Fighter II which is just a single game for the same price.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-03-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 03:00 PM
Banned

Sure you can, you can do lots of things with games that aren't exactly what was intended.. doesn't mean training isn't something that should have been included across the board on this collection. Again, I agree it's a great collection of games. That doesn't excuse an incomplete feature set (i.e. lack of work) when said games are, in fact, at least 19 or 20 years old, have been released multiple times previously, and still cost a full $40.

Capcom, having a history of doing just the bare minimum with rerelease titles all along, do not get benefit of the doubt here. You mention Ultra SF II and that's the perfect example. It shouldn't mean they get a pass on the disappointing aspects of this collection because they did something even worse before.
Old 06-04-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Difficulty should never be a deterrent from purchase. That being said Super Turbo is the hardest game of this collection (I don't exactly count SF1 as it's difficulty comes from age). This collection was intended to be a celebration of the arcade releases, so things like a Vs mode and training were originally left out, until the fanbase cried a lot and it got shoe horned into the collection.

Each time Capcom released one of the older fighters as a standalone game or a re-release, fans kept asking "why not (__insert game here___). They finally drop them all into one collection and it still isn't enough. This is the first time since the PS2 era that we are getting a versions of these games that aren't connected to something bigger. If this collection feels "weak" you have to remember that Capcom has poured all their money into the main game SFV, where as this is being handled by Digital Eclipse.

Even with the hit/miss netcode, and lack of training mode for the non-online games, I'm pretty happy with this release, as I finally have portable SF, and its not the SNES games.
Old 06-05-18, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wtsang
Sure you can, you can do lots of things with games that aren't exactly what was intended.. doesn't mean training isn't something that should have been included across the board on this collection. Again, I agree it's a great collection of games. That doesn't excuse an incomplete feature set (i.e. lack of work) when said games are, in fact, at least 19 or 20 years old, have been released multiple times previously, and still cost a full $40.

Capcom, having a history of doing just the bare minimum with rerelease titles all along, do not get benefit of the doubt here. You mention Ultra SF II and that's the perfect example. It shouldn't mean they get a pass on the disappointing aspects of this collection because they did something even worse before.
I guess I just don’t see why training mode is that big of a deal personally. I guess it can be a nice feature but I don’t think its something that’s absolutely needed. If that’s going to be your biggest deterrent it sort of seems like you’re looking for a reason to dislike the release.

I realize the games are old but I still think the price point is reasonable. You get at least twelve games and they basically work out to a little over $3 a piece. If you’re a fan of the franchise I don’t see how it’s not a good deal personally. Full price point to me would be $60 which is what most games cost. I think at $40 you’re getting a pretty nice package. Personally Capcom irked me a bit more recently with Mega Man by not putting both collections on one cartridge for the Switch release of the Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2. No reason both collections couldn’t have been on the cartridge.

Also I don’t think Ultra Street Fighter II is a bad release. I was just pointing out that it was one game for the same price versus getting twelve games. It’s still a decent release on its own and was a nice early Switch release to get.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-05-18 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really see the issue if the complaint is adding modes/features to an otherwise perfect port of the arcade games. That's not something I would expect or want in this sort of compilation.
Old 06-05-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zero
Difficulty should never be a deterrent from purchase.
Sure it should. If a game is so difficult to the point of not being fun, why should I buy it?
Old 06-05-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Sure it should. If a game is so difficult to the point of not being fun, why should I buy it?
The same reason people buy/play Dark Souls, a number of people want a challenge. ST is a hard game to play against the CPU, but is amazing to play against another person.
Old 06-05-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I’ve never found any of the Street Fighter games that unbearably hard. A little challenging but not so much that they’re unplayable.
Old 06-05-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zero
The same reason people buy/play Dark Souls, a number of people want a challenge.
Ironically, my favorite game of all time.
I don’t play fighting games against other people normally, only against the cpu. So it would not be fun for me, just like the SSFII HD release or whatever it was on the 360.
Old 06-05-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I’ve never found any of the Street Fighter games that unbearably hard. A little challenging but not so much that they’re unplayable.
Boot up Super SF2 Turbo on it's default, the game is HARD.
Old 06-05-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit off topic but I recently decided to try one of those subscription blind boxes for retro games (Retro Game Treasure) and this was inside.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-05-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
A bit off topic but I recently decided to try one of those subscription blind boxes for retro games (Retro Game Treasure) and this was inside.

Nice!