Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

Old 06-12-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Insomniac Games) PS4 (9/7/18)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Looking at HowLongToBeat, they have Uncharted: Lost Legacy at about 7-16 hours depending on your OCD levels. So if Miles is in that ballpark then it definitely seems more like a mini spin-off and not a full fledged game.

Also since Miles had a part in Spider-man and is getting his own game, I wonder if they'll Spider-verse this franchise up and introduce Spider-Gwen so she can get her own DLC/spin-off in a few years.
And we may even get Spider-Ham finally as a playable character! And the return of Noir and 2099 to video games.
Old 06-12-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Looking at HowLongToBeat, they have Uncharted: Lost Legacy at about 7-16 hours depending on your OCD levels. So if Miles is in that ballpark then it definitely seems more like a mini spin-off and not a full fledged game.

Also since Miles had a part in Spider-man and is getting his own game, I wonder if they'll Spider-verse this franchise up and introduce Spider-Gwen so she can get her own DLC/spin-off in a few years.
You have a weird definition of what makes something a "full fledged" game.
Old 06-12-20, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Considering it took about 60 hours to finish Spider-man + DLC, yeah, Miles seems like an expansion or more DLC.
Old 06-12-20, 11:47 PM

Considering it took about 60 hours to finish Spider-man + DLC, yeah, Miles seems like an expansion or more DLC.
So you base your definition of what is a full fledged game by an arbitrary amount of time it takes to finish it?
Old 06-13-20, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 484 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
So you base your definition of what is a full fledged game by an arbitrary amount of time it takes to finish it?
If the core gameplay is the same and the game has limited replay ability, then concluding a game that is based on another existing full game, but with one fourth the content might be considered to be less than a full game. That seems reasonable to me. And it did to Sony as well which charged $60 for Uncharted 4 and Spider-Man but charged only $30 Lost Legacy or for the shorter-than-normal-but-outstanding Ratchet & Clank (PS4).

But please feel free to explain why you think itís still a full game when Sony clearly doesnít ó as their statement this morning clarified.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I didn't think it was that hard to follow. I'm not making some grandiose statement about all games or what I consider to be "full fledged" games. It's purely based on the game that came before, so yeah if it has 25% of the content of the previous game then it would be reasonable to consider it a spin-off.
Old 06-13-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Nevermind, I read about it.

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 06-19-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If the core gameplay is the same and the game has limited replay ability, then concluding a game that is based on another existing full game, but with one fourth the content might be considered to be less than a full game. That seems reasonable to me. And it did to Sony as well which charged $60 for Uncharted 4 and Spider-Man but charged only $30 Lost Legacy or for the shorter-than-normal-but-outstanding Ratchet & Clank (PS4).

But please feel free to explain why you think it’s still a full game when Sony clearly doesn’t — as their statement this morning clarified.
Both Lost Legacy and Ratchet & Clank are full games though. Price isn't relevant nor is game length. Insomniac has stated Miles Morales is a stand alone game not an expansion.
Old 06-13-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
but charged only $30 Lost Legacy or for the shorter-than-normal-but-outstanding Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
Not that it detracts from your greater point, but both of those launched at $40.

I certainly wouldnít complain if Miles cost less than the first Spider-Man game, although Iím not expecting that to happen. (Heck, maybe PS5 games will have a $70 MSRP, so $60 would be a discount!). It sounds like itíll still be a full-length game by traditional standards, even though itís shorter than the previous one, so it wonít sting for me.
Old 06-13-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

It better have some sweet interdimensional travel
Old 06-19-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

More details about the game.
Old 06-20-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Will this be PS5 only or will there be a PS4 version? The XBox games will run on both new and old systems for awhile but I havenít heard if Sony will do they same thing. Not having a PS4 version will leave a ton of money on the table.

Last edited by Kdogg; 06-21-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They haven't said, but I don't see Sony going that route. It's a sequel to one of the biggest games on the PS4. They want to sell PS5s (which may or may not be pricey). A sequel to Spider-man selling PS5s is better in the long run than short term gains by having a PS4 version.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (06-20-20)