Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Old 07-28-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Originally Posted by fujishig
Apparently Nintendo and Microsoft had a deal to rerelease classic GoldenEye on Nintendo and release a revamped version on Xbox but Nintendo pulled out. But nobody has the bond game license now and you'd need to secure that as well.
I didn't realize that. I'd love for a remastered version of the game to come out. The Wii remake just wasn't the same.

The controller issue is a thing though. It's not that they wouldn't be able to replicate the controller (hopefully improving on the disintegrating stick), it's that even if you found an N64 classic to buy, you'd never find an extra controller except on eBay.
They could resolve that by just including two controllers off the bat like the SNES Classic. I know the N64 had four controller ports and I'm sure some diehard fans would be upset if there wasn't an option for four controllers but realistically I think you could get by with just two.

I would love a GBA classic, though I think with portable it's not as necessary. If you have the hardware and software, they should still work fine without any problems like compatibility with modern tvs. I wouldn't really be interested in a Gameboy classic, especially if it was missing Tetris. Though give me a Lynx classic or a turbographx express classic any day.
I suppose that's true. I just thought with them revisiting other past consoles why not. I've still got my DS Lite which plays GBA games as well and my 3DS so there's not a dire need for it but I'd probably be a sucker and go for one if it wers available.
Old 07-28-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've played a handful of N64 games in the last couple years and they hold up just fine.
To you. To me, they're like week old dog shit that's been out in the humid heat.
Old 07-28-17, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the N64 had four controller ports and I'm sure some diehard fans would be upset if there wasn't an option for four controllers but realistically I think you could get by with just two.
Disagree. Between Goldeneye and the fact it was the first system in a very, very long time to include four ports out of the box, true multiplayer is one of the strongest aspects of this console's legacy. You can't limit any classic edition to two players without missing the point entirely.

I think Nintendo knows this, but are probably grappling with the cost issue. NES -> SNES they've thrown the second controller into the box and raised the price. Raising the price another step above $80 as they move to a system with less nostalgic cachet doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
N64 3D
Early 3D is a pretty rough topic in general. Some can't get past the rudimentary graphics in 2017; others can still enjoy the best games despite their looks. But it's pretty close to objective fact that N64 graphics are the worst of the worst when talking about how badly this generation has aged. Low poly counts and draw distance, "fog", muddy and monotonous textures, all topped off by the trend of blurring the entire screen in the name of anti-aliasing.. for every gamer who can still enjoy the better games in this library, you're probably going to find 20 who just can't stand to look at them.
Old 07-28-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, it's not (just) their look, it's their stilted gameplay.

A bunch of friends came over not to long ago, one brought over an N64 and Goldeneye with 4 controllers. It was nearly unplayable, and we all gave up in less than half an hour, when back in the '90s we played it for hours on end.
Old 07-28-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I didn't realize that. I'd love for a remastered version of the game to come out. The Wii remake just wasn't the same.
Apparently it was pretty far along before Nintendo backed out.
30 minutes of gameplay from the remaster ended up on youtube last year.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/01/13/...also-canceled/
Old 07-28-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Again, it's not (just) their look, it's their stilted gameplay.

A bunch of friends came over not to long ago, one brought over an N64 and Goldeneye with 4 controllers. It was nearly unplayable, and we all gave up in less than half an hour, when back in the '90s we played it for hours on end.
So your example is one game? Yes GoldenEye aged badly. The majority of big name games for the system did not. Their is no stilted gameplay in any of the games I've played recently. If you want to complain about graphics being muddy and other early 3d graphic issues I can understand but it's not a fundamental part of Nintendo 64 games that they have stilted gameplay.
Old 07-28-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I never had an N64, but I can tell you that the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is way, way, WAY more playable and enjoyable than the Banjo-Kazooie and Conker remasters from the same era. Those Rare games were not fun and gave me a splitting headache. They did not age well Crash is just frustratingly hard.
Old 07-28-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I've played Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 recently and they both hold up.
Old 07-28-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
So your example is one game? Yes GoldenEye aged badly. The majority of big name games for the system did not. Their is no stilted gameplay in any of the games I've played recently. If you want to complain about graphics being muddy and other early 3d graphic issues I can understand but it's not a fundamental part of Nintendo 64 games that they have stilted gameplay.
In that post it was one game - I played others recently - they all kinda suck now. Mario64's okay, but even that has it's issues.
Old 07-28-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I never had an N64, but I can tell you that the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy is way, way, WAY more playable and enjoyable than the Banjo-Kazooie and Conker remasters from the same era. Those Rare games were not fun and gave me a splitting headache. They did not age well Crash is just frustratingly hard.
I haven't played the Conker remaster but disagree completely on Banjo. Banjo is still a solid 3D platformer. Crash still plays and controls like shit. It looks better because they remastered it where as Banjo it just got ported over.

I also don't trust someone who never owned a N64.
Old 07-29-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SNES Classic, amiright?
Old 07-29-17, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wtsang
Disagree. Between Goldeneye and the fact it was the first system in a very, very long time to include four ports out of the box, true multiplayer is one of the strongest aspects of this console's legacy. You can't limit any classic edition to two players without missing the point entirely.

I think Nintendo knows this, but are probably grappling with the cost issue. NES -> SNES they've thrown the second controller into the box and raised the price. Raising the price another step above $80 as they move to a system with less nostalgic cachet doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Realistically though how many people do you think are going to be buying something like an N64 Classic and playing multiplayer with three friends? That might happen a couple times but I think the meat of these are really the single player games to be honest. Two players is probably adequate in most situations if I had to guess. Four players would work better if Nintendo had a way to do it online but that'll probably never happen. I think if they can do four players cost effectively then go ahead and do it but honestly it's not that necessary.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-29-17 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-29-17, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know but a huge part of the nostalgia element to this particular system revolves around bunches of friends gathered around Goldeneye and/or Mario Kart 64. Pick your poison.

I think there's a huge dropoff in potential audience from the SNES generation to the 64 to begin with. N64 Classic will still be a hit, of course, but this was the point where N really started to bleed marketshare. If they do produce this machine, I just can't see them ignoring such a trademark feature.
Old 07-29-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, the other issue is we're ignoring that Nintendo could have made this a device that fucking DOWNLOADS GAMES. We accept that it's not because of the NES classic, but they could easily make this something that could be pay to buy new shit.

Plus, if wouldn't necessarily eat into the Switch's market, because there are people willing to pay for something cheap to buy games in the future, rather than purchase a blown console.

Guarantee there would be people with the NES Classic pumping millions right now buying other games if they were continually available.
Old 07-29-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you just want to download though really you might as well just use the Virtual Console on either the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, or eventually Switch. The Classic editions are more of a novelty item than anything either for collectors or casual fans who don't want to spend the money on a full console.
Old 07-30-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But casual people would be down with occasionally spending money on new games if they had instant access. I'm cool with whatever is on the SNES classic, but when the NES classic was announced, a lot of people were wondering about future downloads/etc.
Old 07-30-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how true that is. Truly casual people will just plug it in, play some, and rarely go back to it. How are they supposed to know new content is available? They're not watching the blogs.

It's almost as if there's a spectrum that consists of more than "casual" and "hardcore" and these devices fit in nicely. If you're truly hardcore, you don't need these things.
Old 07-30-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
But casual people would be down with occasionally spending money on new games if they had instant access. I'm cool with whatever is on the SNES classic, but when the NES classic was announced, a lot of people were wondering about future downloads/etc.
In order to make new downloads be workable for casual players, They'd have to integrate a wifi module into the units, which adds complexity and cost, and then create a virtual store, which is a non-trivial cost as well. Then negotiate with 3rd parties to put games on the store, figure out pricing, etc.

And for all that, how many people were really that interested to pay $5-$10 per game for additional titles? Part of the appeal of the NES Classic was its basic plug-and-play functionality. Also, ironically, offering additional games for download could've put people off the console, since instead of just focusing on the games it had and figuring out the value, people would have to consider all the possible games they want, and the additional costs of buying them from the store. Then there would've been people pissed about why they have to pay extra for the title(s) they want, while others they don't want came "free" with the console.

Then there's the question of should the game titles for download even be limited to that particular generation's games, when the internals could play other generations (In fact, most think the SNES Classic is going to have basically the same internals as the NES Classic). The controller ports can take other controller types, so should SNES titles be available to download and play on the NES Classic?

These are basically "toys" that Nintendo is putting out, with the NES Classic being a stop-gap measure to cover the 2016 holiday season while people waited on the Switch. They didn't want to put too much work on it, and didn't even intend to sell it as long as they did (and they still pulled it while demand was still high). The SNES Classic is going to sell like gangbusters with them basically modestly modifying the same hardware (new outside shell, different list of games in an emulator for a different system). They also don't want to take away too many sales from the Switch or Wii U.

Some online fans would like to add other games to these systems, sure, but that doesn't make it a good business decision, or easy, or practical.
Old 07-30-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those points make sense- guess I was mainly thinking about it from what I would have wanted in an ideal situation.
Old 08-01-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From Nintendo:

We appreciate the incredible anticipation that exists for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, and can confirm that it will be made available for pre-order by various retailers late this month.

A significant amount of additional systems will be shipped to stores for launch day, and throughout the balance of the calendar year.
Old 08-01-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I've played Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 recently and they both hold up.
Mario Kart 64 is still great fun and engaging.

Mario Tennis on the N64 is easily the best entry in that franchise. Perfectly balanced play controls with a wide variety of character styles made it immensely rewarding.
Old 08-01-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

So, pre-orders "late this month." Considering it's being released 9/29, maybe they'll put up pre-orders a month early, on 8/29 ?
Old 08-01-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 08-01-17, 04:22 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Looking at the original list again, it struck me that one genre that is missing entirely is the side scrolling shooter. I loved those hard-as-poop games back in the day on the SNES and Genesis. Gradius III, R-Type III, Thunder Spirits, Axelay, Darius, Raiden, etc. Your small spaceship going against waves and waves of other spaceships along with giant bosses at the end of each stage.

I should look and see if any are available on the Wii virtual console.
Old 08-01-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Looking at the original list again, it struck me that one genre that is missing entirely is the side scrolling shooter. I loved those hard-as-poop games back in the day on the SNES and Genesis. Gradius III, R-Type III, Thunder Spirits, Axelay, Darius, Raiden, etc. Your small spaceship going against waves and waves of other spaceships along with giant bosses at the end of each stage.

I should look and see if any are available on the Wii virtual console.
Not sure if you have a PS4 but have you tried Dariusburst Chronicles? Or Cave's Deathsmiles on the PS3?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.