Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Old 03-08-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Still having fun. I am up to 486 power, which puts me at grandmaster level. Been doing grandmaster difficulty. Not too hard if you get matched up with a well balanced team
Old 03-08-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Still having fun. I am up to 486 power, which puts me at grandmaster level. Been doing grandmaster difficulty. Not too hard if you get matched up with a well balanced team

Glad you are and I still see several playing. I try to get on....still a 15-30 minute venture...but it's Freeplay. I'm trying to get some better more updated gear for my Javelins. I don't have any with a full bore Epic Loadout...like 1-2 short. I cannot buy another Grenade Launcher besides the Bombardier...that's been it.....white, green, blue and purple...but none of the others.. I haven't gone into Strongholds because I'm afraid I'll not get in a match, screen will hang and I'll have to quit out and try to load in again.

But Freeplay has been better...last night I came across two random Titans....not even a World Event....which last few nights have actually popped up it seems more. And so far none are bugged or glitched. Freeplay for the most part has been fine.
Old 03-09-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Update 1.0.3 is up! Or will be up any minute. I haven't actually fired up my Xbox yet to check.

High level fixes and changes
  • Respawn restrictions have been removed - Respawn timers are now based on the activity a player is in. Crit-Path, Agent Missions and other non-end game missions now have a respawn timer of 10 seconds. Strongholds, Legendary Contracts, and other end game missions now have a respawn timer of 30 seconds. The respawn timer Freeplay remains unchanged.
  • Loot Changes - Common (white) and Uncommon (green) drops will no longer appear for players that are level 30.
  • Improved stability for all platforms - this includes fixes for a number of issues that were causing crashes or connection problems
  • Audio Improvements - Fixed a number of issues that could cause audio to drop out
General Fixes and Improvements
  • Fixed a number of issues that were blocking players from accessing the Forge
  • All missions should now properly end when all conditions have been met
  • The inbox now properly displays information on PC (the inbox is found in the newsfeed)
  • Fixed an issue that would cause players to be unable to interact with NPCs in Fort Tarsis
  • The vault is no longer accessible from the Forge. This change was made to improve performance
  • Fixed an issue that would cause the game to hang when entering menus while on an expedition
  • Titans will no longer respawn on missions after they are defeated. Example: if players defeat 2 out of 3 titans and then wipe on the third, the first two will not reappear when players respawn during a mission
  • Server shutdown messages should now appear less often
  • The ability to Quickplay into a Stronghold has been added back to the game
  • Mouse button 4 is no longer bound to the back button for PC players
  • Crashes that occurred while selecting certain conversation options when interacting with an NPC have been fixed
  • Players should no longer get stuck at the end of the “Tomb of General Tarsis” mission
  • Players should now run into less issues during Quickplay missions. Additional improvements to Quickplay will be coming in future updates
  • Players should no longer get stuck behind fogwalls on missions or in strongholds as often
  • Players should now receive credit for the “There Be Giants” challenge when they are downed and when the event is active
  • Improved the audio when defeating creatures to provide better feedback
  • Changed wording for server shutdown messaging to better indicate that it is just the players server shutting down, not the entire game server
  • Players may now launch an expedition from anywhere within the launch bay and Fort Tarsis.
  • PS4 led lights will now change based on the javelin being used
  • It should now be harder for players to get stun locked by certain enemy compositions
  • The values on max flight time inscriptions have been increased
  • The appearance of the N7 vinyl on Legion of Dawn armor has been improved
  • Haluk will now properly face players during certain dialogue scenes
  • The message “Open the Cortex to track the legionnaire Challenges” will no longer pop up after completing the appropriate challenges
Strongholds
  • Fixed an issue that would cause players to get stuck at the entrance to the sewers in the Temple of the Scar Stronghold
Creature Updates
  • Titans: We have made several balance changes to all variations of Titans
    • Reduced overall damage mitigation from 100% to between 70% and 75% depending on the damage type.
    • Increased the time that weakpoints are exposed.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented effects from applying and thus preventing combos.
    • Increased the damage the Titan takes from weakpoint hits.
    • Lesser Titan’s weakpoint’s have been changed to always be active.
    • Improved the collision on the ring and seeking projectile attacks. This should make them easier to dodge.
    • Decreased the radius of the seeking projectile attack.
    • Decreased the damage done by the self-destruct ability.
  • Frozen Scar Enforcers and Scrappers can no longer move or attack while frozen.
  • The Monitor’s health has been greatly reduced in the Heart of Rage Stronghold.
  • Force
    • Players will be less likely to be repeatedly staggered by heavy attacks.
    • Adjusted the force applied by some creature attacks down which will lower the frequency of player’s being staggered.
Damage and Item Scaling Changes
  • Adjusted the damage scaling of secondary damage sources. These now scale with Average Item Power. This will allow these damage sources to better scale in the Grandmaster Difficulties. This will increase the scaling of the following:
    • Melee Damage
    • Combo Damage
    • Ultimate Damage
    • Status Effects
    • Item Procs (e.g. Proc from Yvenia’s Thunder)
  • Item Power scaling has changed to better reflect the actual power of the item based on its rarity. This is applied to all items retroactively. Players will see the Power of their items go up.
Gameplay Bug Fixes
  • The Ultimate ability bar will no longer appear full at the start of a mission when it isn’t actually full
  • Weapon recoil will now stop once an exo is looking straight up
  • Fixed a number of animation issues that could occur when the Colossus was using its shield
  • It should no longer be possible for the Interceptor to become Frozen while starting up their ultimate
  • Interceptor Aura damage will now deal the correct type of damage based on the active aura
  • Players can no longer equip abilities from one javelin to another
  • The Colossus can now use gear faster after being attacked by a heavy hit from enemies
  • The Colossus can now shield charge through destructible objects such as explosive canisters or harvest nodes
  • The Colossus now recovers faster after crashing into walls
Item Balance Updates
  • Increased the base health of Wind Wall and Bulwark Point to provide better scaling in higher difficulties. The duration of these has been reduced to 20 seconds, down from 60 seconds
  • Burst Mortar’s damage has been increased to 300, up from 145 and its cooldown has been reduced to 6 seconds, down from 10 seconds. Its description has also been fixed
  • Flak Cannon’s damage has been increased to 42, up from 30
  • Battle Cry’s description has been updated to explain that it also reduces the resistances of affected targets
  • Wraith Strike’s damage has been increased to 250, up from 200 and it will now apply elemental effect to targets based on the active aura
    • Note: Description text for Wraith Strike will be updated in 1.0.4.
Item Bug Fixes
  • Wind Wall should no longer block or interfere with other player abilities
  • Ranger Grenadier Component will now correctly lower the cooldown of grenade abilities
  • Fixed an issue where certain weapons were not firing where the crosshairs were aimed
  • The Ice Blast ability for the Storm javelin now has the primer icon correctly displayed
Inscription Bug Fixes
  • The Thruster Delay Recovery inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
  • The Overheat Delay Recovery inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
  • The Weapon Reload Bonus inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
    • Note: These will have non-updated text values until the next patch (1.0.4)
Masterwork Item Balance Updates
  • Increased the base damage of the following Masterwork Weapons.
    • Ralner’s Blaze
    • Rolling Carnage
    • Cycle of Pain
    • The Last Stand
    • Glorious Result
    • Insult and Injury
    • Sentinel Vengeance
    • Gnosta’s Balm
    • Vassa’s Surprise
    • Soothing Touch
    • Renewed Courage
    • Artinia’s Gambit
Masterwork Item Bug Fixes
  • Ralner’s Blaze - Will no longer roll with incorrect inscriptions
  • Ablative Shielding now provides the proper boost in shield and armor
  • Badge of Devastation will now generate more ultimate charge when triggered
  • It should no longer be possible to stack the effect from Gunslinger’s Mark more than once
In addition to the above updates, we wanted to let you know of some other known issues that the team is working on fixing:
  • When loading into the game for the first time after a patch the Shields and Armor on a javelin will be incorrect. The first time a player enters and exits Freeplay or any other activity the issue will fix itself.
  • Players are not receiving their level 20 Match Consumables. Players were granted item blueprints instead of the recipes when they hit this level previously.
  • Some players may experience audio crackling while in Fort Tarsis.
  • There may be some instances where players are unable to quit out of a Quickplay mission through the map UI.
  • A number challenges may not be tracking properly, such as the objectives under the “Legendary Freelancer” challenge.
  • Some players may encounter a bug where they are unable to interact with any objects or players.
  • Visual effects on javelin thrusters are not functioning properly while stormy weather is present in game.
  • Inactivity messages may not be able to be dismissed after a player returns from being away.
  • There are a number of Origin error messages that some PC players may encounter, including Origin showing that it is offline when it actually online.
  • The UI may not display events for some players when an event has spawned nearby in Freeplay.
  • There is a bug where armor pips can change in between activities. This is both a display and gameplay issue.

Apparently the drop tables for masterworks and legendaries were briefly increased yesterday (my wife, who's level 18, got her first masterwork on a normal difficulty contract, perhaps as part of that!), but that's already been dialed back down.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-09-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

They changed the power levels too. I went from around 500 to 686. My masterwork stuff all went from 45 to 61.
Old 03-09-19, 05:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

so is it worth sticking with now?
Old 03-09-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
so is it worth sticking with now?
Play​​ it for yourself to make that determination.
Old 03-09-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

They changed the power levels too. I went from around 500 to 686. My masterwork stuff all went from 45 to 61.
Yeah, it looks like all legendaries and masterworks got a big jump up. The pre-order bonus rifle went from level 18 to level 43 or something like that. I think my wife said her masterwork machine pistol went from 38 to 50 overnight.
Old 03-09-19, 06:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Play​​ it for yourself to make that determination.
i have been and ready to give up on it. need something to sway in either direction which is why i asked...
Old 03-10-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just know for the first time the whole week....Sunday Afternoon till Friday....I had a hard time even getting on sometimes 20-40 minutes of constantly reloading, seeing various error message, back again or close out and start over....not last night. First time got in and for about 6hrs in Freeplay, got kicked...."Sever Shutdown" message popped up....twice. I did get some audio in & out but it was with that Storm and lots of lighting. Got in a good deal of World Events and actually seemed I came across more Titans that were just around

I did not try Quickplay however.....I was still worried something pop up and I get bumped not able to get on. But I will dive into it as that's been a major problem with no waypoints, radar, beacons, a door not opening (Tassyrn's Agent)….which has happened more than it worked. I actually spent time trying to put some builds together based on the Weapon and Gear perks
Old 03-12-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...ems_massively/

Removing your support items massively increases melee/combo/proc/ult damage.
Reason: since patch game scales damage of combos/ults/procs and melee based on average item level you have equipped, but if you don't have item equipped at all it does not take that slot into account in calculation at all, meaning by removing the low level support item boosts your average item level for purpose of the calculation.
To remove your support item you can create a new fresh loadout - it starts without support item equipped.

Edit: and yes as one poster figured it out - this means if you equip ONLY legendary items you will basically do most damage with ult/combos/melee/procs. Technically - you can like equip only one legendary item and nothing else and wreck, but of course that's not very feasible due to HP and some components being good as is.
Old 03-12-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm loving the boycott players are planning for this week to protest recent changes. They've already bought the game, so what exactly do they hope to accomplish by not playing? If anything, BW must be looking forward to a quieter week with fewer players bitching and moaning.
Old 03-12-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
They've already bought the game, so what exactly do they hope to accomplish by not playing?
What would you suggest as an alternative?

Like you said, they've already bought the game. It's not as if they can return it at this point. Are there any options beyond (1) sucking it up and living with things as they are, (2) complaining, or (3) no longer playing? A GaaS title with a dramatically lower active player count (if the protest is successful, anyway) makes more of an impact than rants on Reddit. At least in theory, it impacts the playability of a game that benefits from a large, active userbase, since there'll be fewer people to team up with.

I mean, I'm not planning on participating in any protest (though, admittedly, I only finished the campaign last night and am still level 22, so I'm not at a point where I'd be affected anyway). Bioware is being responsive about the many, many complaints, although they make it sound like any resolution about dismal loot drops is a long way off...even though they've accidentally "fixed" it a couple of times already, briefly. I'm sure the player count will plummet this week anyway, thanks to The Division 2.
Old 03-12-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well...from what I've gathered it's sort divided parts of the community since the ones griping and complaining are the ones already up with Mastercraft and Legendary items...they're just upset they're not dropping as much or in a case not at all.

I know several that are still in the Level 10-20 just tickled to get a decent Blue & Purple and like the game and sort of look at this complaining about "I'm not seeing enough MK's and Legendary items"...or "I'm getting stuff that's crappy, useless or for a Javelin I don't play"....some would be thrilled to get just one.

It's like a poster today complained about His Colossus was waaaaay to OP, not getting specific MK & Legendary for his Colossus enough and getting ones he didn't need or use, didn't play any of the other Javelins, sounded like he was bored yet blamed Bioware and the game saying it was broken because the right MK and Legendary stuff wasn't dropping fast enough....seriously, some of the Loot Complaints are along this.

One thing that's not mentioned...and I actually got in one this weekend for the first time...The Legendary Contracts...where you are guaranteed a Mastercraft or a shot at a Legendary at the end of the mission. From what i read you can do three of theses a day so again....whining not getting drops?

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-12-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
What would you suggest as an alternative?

Like you said, they've already bought the game. It's not as if they can return it at this point. Are there any options beyond (1) sucking it up and living with things as they are, (2) complaining, or (3) no longer playing? A GaaS title with a dramatically lower active player count (if the protest is successful, anyway) makes more of an impact than rants on Reddit. At least in theory, it impacts the playability of a game that benefits from a large, active userbase, since there'll be fewer people to team up with.

I mean, I'm not planning on participating in any protest (though, admittedly, I only finished the campaign last night and am still level 22, so I'm not at a point where I'd be affected anyway). Bioware is being responsive about the many, many complaints, although they make it sound like any resolution about dismal loot drops is a long way off...even though they've accidentally "fixed" it a couple of times already, briefly. I'm sure the player count will plummet this week anyway, thanks to The Division 2.
No, I don't see any alternatives. But I do think that Reddit posts and media coverage will have more of an impact than a boycott simply due to visibility. Anyone can go to the Anthem sub and see post after post of complaints, or browse the internet and come across one of many articles on Kotaku, Forbes, Polygon, etc. talking about the state of Anthem. It's easy information to come by. However, player count is, afaik, is not readily shared. This could be the most effective boycott in history, but EA/BW can spin it as business as usual because nobody would know otherwise. This is a four player game, so I don't think the player base needs to be as large or as active as they might be in other live games.
Old 03-12-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After being burned by Mass Effect Andromeda, I'm glad I held off on buying Anthem. I was so excited about Andromeda that I played 1 - 3 to catch up to the series in time for release. But after all the negative reviews, I didn't end up playing the copy I purchased at launch and still haven't touched it. Unfortunately Bioware isn't what it used to be, and I have a strong feeling part of that is due to EA.
Old 03-12-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
This is a four player game, so I don't think the player base needs to be as large or as active as they might be in other live games.
The funny thing is that when I did a quick Google search for 'anthem protest pointless' to see what other people were saying, I got a whole bunch of hits, and none of 'em were about Bioware. I should think things through a little better.

I'm sure you're right. In theory, I get hung up on how granular the match-making is -- wanting to do a specific activity at a specific difficulty level at a specific time -- but there are so few endgame options that the problems kind of work themselves out, even with a moderately lower player base. I guess the only argument I'd make against what you said is that if the point of the player stoppage is to send a message to Bioware, it doesn't matter if the player counts are visible to the rest of us -- just that Bioware themselves can see them. But that's assuming enough people protest for it to be noticeable, and I have no idea whether or not that's the case. I played the first night of the protest. I didn't play tonight, and probably won't for the rest of the planned protest, but it has nothing to do with sending a message to Bioware.
Old 03-13-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like a site I saw yesterday talking about this...they pointed out about 11.5K signed some petition on this Boycotting. Sounds like alot but compared to even a low end estimate of of those who bought the game, this hardly makes a blimp on the radar with what...2-3% of total players who pretty much represent those who are like level 550 and above...which doesn't come close to the majority out there that's under.

I have three here at work that just got the game...all Level 12-13...play together and loving it. I have a friend who got the game Sunday, is still at the early stage and he's loving it. I ran several main story and some Strongholds and saw plenty under level 25 and I bet they're having a good time.....seems like the ones not having a good time are the ones who probably already have a nice collection of Golden Mastercraft items; they just want more and not getting them fast enough.

Sunday I had one friend who has a almost fully loaded Mastercrafted Storm send me an invite and wanted to do some Freeplay tackling specific Titans and areas. Asked me isf I need to go anywhere and open up stuff and we played on GM 1...which to say the least was an eye opening experience since I only had 1-2 MK items. I went down a lot and had to thank him constantly. But he said, that's sort of what makes Anthem...it's about playing together and helping out. He said it was the same way with him and others early on. He said they do a bit of everything and not into that constant grinding Strongholds at GR1 or GR 2 for MK and Legendary Loot. They don't like some of the Loot Drop Situation but it hasn't stopped them from playing everything else in the game.
Old 03-14-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still under fire

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/biowa...ted-community/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa.../?context=1000

I hope they continue to fix the game. Live games are always going through changes. I'm sure the release of Division 2 this week is going to hurt the player count though.
Old 03-14-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
That's a quality post right there. I appreciate any community manager that replies with substance and not just "we're listening, thanks for the feedback." That is not a job I'd want for any game, good or bad.
Old 03-15-19, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really want to keep playing but god damn this is depressing.

Reddit-Loot donít matter
Old 03-15-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I posted about the averaging of the equipment earlier, and how it's better to have nothing equipped in most slots to raise the average. That seems like a bug, but a terrible one. But this scaling this is on another level. I guess this also happens in games like Destiny too, where the enemies scale to your level and as you gain better loot, the actual gain in terms of power diminishes, so you actually have a harder time finishing content as you level. If so, that seems like crap, but I'm used to linear damage numbers and being able to absolutely destroy lower level mobs as you gain more loot. I think the problem Anthem has is that they made it so obvious.

Like that level 1 weapon being the best weapon may have indeed been a bug, but the purpose behind it was to entice you as a new player to see how great the game is, then take that away from you as you get more invested in gathering loot. And then those fake damage numbers... it's ridiculous that by equipping different weapons, the damage numbers you see change drastically but the percentage of damage you do remains the same. That's pulling the curtain too far back.
Old 03-16-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From late yesterday... https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/03...ndgame-weapons

Anthem Increases Drop Rate For Endgame Weapons

[COLOR=left=#000000]The latest update for Anthem is now live and, thanks to the patch notes, Bioware has confirmed that they have made some changes to the game's criticized loot table to better emphasize endgame weapons when you're actually in the endgame. You might ask why it was different before this update and it seems like Bioware also agrees.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#000000]The new update is server-side, which means you don't need to actually download anything for it to take effect. On the grandmaster 2 and 3 difficulty levels, the drop rate for Masterwork & Legendary items has been increased. Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have also been increased for tougher enemies at all difficulty levels in general.[/COLOR]
Old 03-20-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the NPS's, Anthem was the top selling game last month. So I guess that's a good sign. It will be interesting to see what the sales impact will be since Division 2 launched this month.

Also, so updates from Hudson at Bioware

Anthem ? Post Launch Update ? BioWare Blog
Old 03-20-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since last week on Sunday with the patch...the server errors have almost become nonexistent for me....at best I've got maybe 4-5 and two PS4 Blue Screen Errors. I am not doing the Quickplay however but since hitting Level 30 doing Contracts & Strongholds...and it's been basically clear sailing.I don't think it would be wrong to say...it's Night & Day over the first 2 weeks easily.

Yes...some are still seeing issues but looking on the forum, I don't see nearly the amount of posts on bugs, glitches and technical issues as before. And yes...some are still complaining about the Loot especially those at Level 30 and been doing GM 1 thru 3. But those complaining...like one today was saying he's not getting specific ones or not seeing any at all and has to break down 30 of the same type. I just started running Legendary Contracts which you can run three a day and are guaranteed one Mastercraft at the end. I ran my Ranger, put about 95% Luck on him and in three runs got (5)...last night I got (4). But I'm just glad at this point to even start collecting them.

And I haven't seen no real letup though I see several in The Division 2 that were playing Anthem. I've not seen lack of players doing Contracts or Strongholds. and in fact in the Launch Bay, there's been a steady stream going in and out every time I've been in there. I still see some in the PS4 Anthem Forum adding their names for friend requests to get Alliance Points. It's somewhat a shame though that both Anthem and The Division 2 came out same month...both were being looked at by a lot of players but I don't think neither has been really hurt