Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Fuck this mess

https://kotaku.com/anthem-players-sa...1833039161/amp

Brad had also mentioned it on the Bombcast and said he had to do the hardware rebuilding thing that it makes you do when you suddenly shut down the PS4, like when you lose power during a storm.
Old 03-04-19, 04:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

man, wtf is going on with this game?? i completed my first stronghold mission (Tyrant Mine), i think, and the first time mission was about to end, the game brought me back to XBOX home screen. the second time completed, ended, got my rewards and stuff and it still shows as tracked and not completed. wtf is that?
Old 03-04-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Most days you would see more than a handfull of posts on the Anthem subreddit tagged to indicate a reply from someone at Bioware. They have been fairly active there.

Not today though.

This game is turning into a true dumpster fire.

Old 03-04-19, 05:53 PM

and if you die in a non-respawn area and no one around you can't even get out of game without going to xbox home screen. i waited 10 minutes once for someone to revive me bc i didn't want to lose progress. that is another big flaw...
Old 03-04-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Still enjoying this with a buddy. Just got to lvl 30. I've had 4 grandmaster drops. I got a shotgun and a grenade launcher (neither of which I used) twice. Just better versions of the guns the 2nd time. That's super annoying. My buddy hasn't had any grandmaster drops yet, so I guess that's something.

Hard versions of strongholds are hard as fuck. There was one we were doing where my buddy and I were both lvl 29s and we were with a 25 and 26. They both got worked repeatedly. We were constantly running over to heal them. In this game, on that difficulty, the tank javelin is the bomb. Takes a beating and just keeps rolling.
Old 03-05-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I know on the official EA Anthem Forums the game is taking a beating with the Technical Issues and severe bugs...like Quickplay a total messs not working 50%-60% of the time. But I still go in but now mostly in Freeplay to knock out challenges and looking for items. I'm at Level 30 but I'm rotating my Javelins to try and get better gear...some are still using Blue Runes. Weapons are no issue since they drop across all Javelins. I've only got one Masterwork...some Assault Rifle...but for now I'm not even thinking of jumping into GM until I can get a build with plenty of Health, Armor and Shield. I have a friend here who has done GR 1 & 2 and he said it can be brutal and better have plenty of all of the above...you really need to go in thinking "Tank"...not trying to be a Glass Cannon or you'll be going down constantly.

I haven't had the issues plaguing some PS4 owners with the shutdown and screwing up the PS4 to where it acts like the power went out and you have to do a repair. I still see several on but it's no-where like it was the first several days....I think many went to the Division 2 Beta and back to other games especially after the other day with all the issues just trying to connect. But like you I see some groups doing stuff together and they're having a good time...but Bioware needs to get on the stick and deal with the issues; Technical and fix Quickplay.
Old 03-05-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Even if they iron out all of the online issue, then what? What will be the shelf life for this game?
Old 03-05-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Even if they iron out all of the online issue, then what? What will be the shelf life for this game?
The 90 day roadmap revolves around "Act 1". At least two acts beyond that are planned. No estimated dates for those yet. No indication how many acts/updates are planned beyond these three.
Old 03-05-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks for that. I will Google the roadmap plans.
Old 03-05-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be curious to see if they stick with it. Mass Effect Andromeda also had DLC plans, and they scrapped those, even after putting in the time with all of those post patches.
Old 03-05-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the other Acts end up being a full sequel or scrapped. This game will be a ghost town by the time they're ready for launch.
Old 03-05-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This game will not run on my son's system which has a very good graphics card (GTX 1080) but an older CPU which is apparently not supported by the game. This is the only game that he can't run at decent FPS. He cant get above 10 FPS on this. I can get it up to 60fps on my system but i have an I-7 in it. So now he wants a new CPU but that will require a new mobo and RAM too so it will have to wait until his birthday/xmas. I have no clue what to tell him mom to buy. Ugh.
Old 03-05-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly it probably won't be worth it, depending on when his birthday is. By then, this game could very well be effectively dead. It's already on life support and just launched.
Old 03-05-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Honestly it probably won't be worth it, depending on when his birthday is. By then, this game could very well be effectively dead. It's already on life support and just launched.
I am not saying you are wrong, but you keep making this claim. Outside of the technical issues, I have seen no reports of anything regarding this being on life support.
Old 03-05-19, 04:52 PM

what happens if no one at one particular time (i know not now), but in future if no one is playing how can you do any missions? this game is frustrating me now more than liking. might give it one more go, but i am ready to move on, i think. thank goodness it was free.
Old 03-05-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am not saying you are wrong, but you keep making this claim. Outside of the technical issues, I have seen no reports of anything regarding this being on life support.
There's been people "wanting & hoping" this game would die even before the Demo.....Heck the game still was Number 1 on the UK Sales charts so I don't think it's going die off like some game sites are praying for. There's still plenty out there that can play, are playing and above all else want the game to get fix and continue.Yes...it's a mess...a Technical Mess but not a Whole Mess like Fallout 76 or others where everything is a mess and total disaster......the core & foundation of the game is intact; a great looking huge world, four unique Javelins with a little of everything to fly, swim and run around blasting away any & everything, a story, factions, NPC's with stories....just got to get it all to work and do some fine tuning....

As to the PS4 Issue...an update on this and seems one user might have found a temporary fix as he mentions he had the same issue with another game a few years back...
https://www.dualshockers.com/ea-resp...potential-fix/

EA Responds to Anthem Issues on PS4 as Community Discovers a Potential Fix

Old 03-05-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do they force you to squad up for every mission? If so, I'm wondering how they solve that issue in the future once the playerbase dies down. A friend and I were going to rent it from the library to play it, but wanted to play at our pace without having to be teleported constantly to the other players.
Old 03-05-19, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Do they force you to squad up for every mission? If so, I'm wondering how they solve that issue in the future once the playerbase dies down. A friend and I were going to rent it from the library to play it, but wanted to play at our pace without having to be teleported constantly to the other players.
Yes, the missions anyway and yes, if you explore on own then respawn with squad who did everything already. What if no one is playing is what I’m saying, then you SOL? Freeplay I guess is solo, but I don’t know what it is yet...
Old 03-05-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Do they force you to squad up for every mission?
No. You can solo the campaign. Strongholds and Freeplay are forced to be public, but if it can't find anyone to match, I would imagine it just drops you in an empty instance.
Old 03-06-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Admittedly, I'm salty on this one. I was super excited for the idea of a BioWare game with Ironman style flying around. I let myself get too hyped and was sorely disappointed by the grindy mess the game is. This is one case where I'd happily eat my words if they're able to turn it around. I want this game to be great.
Old 03-06-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now...sadly I wouldn't bother even on trying any aspect of the game because just getting in past the load-up screen has become a chore with a constant stream of different error messages. Before Sunday evening, I had no problem but then something happened...maybe that update/patch that morning?.....caused getting on a lot of frustration. I've tried the last two nights and it's taken a long time to finally get past the intro and in which for now all I do is Freeplay. Once in it I've had no issues what-so-ever playing, moving around in the town, in menus and even quitting out...hasn't screwed up my PS4

That said....until they fix the bugs and glitches with Quickplay, I would recommend hooking up with a friend in Freeplay...yes, two others can join but seriously as big as the map is, you'll be fine and won't be bothered so you can just go and do whatever. Of course if a World Event pops up, to me the "More-the-Merrier" kicks in since everyone benefits and gets rewards adding to the list of completions be it missions or world events...that's in the challenges, daily's, weekly's and monthly's....

There's a few still playing in groups and that's what they do...when they can get in...just hit Freeplay, knock out challenges, look for items that contribute to the Factions, do dungeons and look for World Events. Its no real restrictions on where and what you want to do and if anything...a great way to test drive your flying skills...be it air or underwater which a lot neglect to do since there's various items and chests to be found there.
Old 03-06-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

caveat: I'm not playing this game

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it's apparently some kind of design decision to scale enemies with gear level?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...e_best_weapon/

This means that a level 1 weapon is actually more effective at killing whatever enemy you're facing because it scales with the weapon you're carrying. If you equip a higher level weapon, it takes more shots to kill than with the level 1 weapon. That seems insane.

Also the damage numbers are completely meaningless. Try firing your level whatever weapon at an enemy, see the percentage of shields that go down and the damage numbers. Then switch to a lvl 1 weapon: the percentage of shields that go down will probably increase and the damage numbers will be a fraction. Like the numbers are just entirely made up.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-06-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Right now...sadly I wouldn't bother even on trying any aspect of the game because just getting in past the load-up screen has become a chore with a constant stream of different error messages.
With me, it's sort of the opposite. I can get past the load-up screen with no problem. I'm just returned to it more than I'd like.

Last night, I was completely kicked out, which is odd because my wife -- on the same connection! -- remained in the session. Usually, we both get booted at the same time. Shortly after that last night, we were playing through the last of the Emerald Abyss missions, and we flew around this stupid foundry endlessly. The prompt just said "explore", so we flew around every friggin' inch of that room, and nothing happened. Watching videos and reading Reddit posts, it sounds like this is a pretty common bug. Leaving and rejoining the session didn't fix it, as some suggested. And I think we were close to the end of it too, so we have to waste a half-hour doing the same stuff all over. Aargh.

Originally Posted by fujishig
This means that a level 1 weapon is actually more effective at killing whatever enemy you're facing because it scales with the weapon you're carrying. If you equip a higher level weapon, it takes more shots to kill than with the level 1 weapon. That seems insane.
Sounds about right. Now I want to change my loadout!
Old 03-06-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
caveat: I'm not playing this game

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it's apparently some kind of design decision to scale enemies with gear level?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGa...e_best_weapon/

Wow...I'll have to check the official forums but in any case there's something in the code that doesn't distinguish if Player (A) is Level 1-5 or a Level 27-30. I guess they just had it set thinking as one progresses they'll drop the lower level stuff and keep going with higher level gear.

On top of that, from what I've read into the Gear Score...you need to keep the highest possible gear /weapons on because it also takes in account your Level as the enemies difficulty are suppose to level alongside your Pilot Level. So if you pop a Level 1 Gun on, that's a pretty huge drop in a Gear Score. Makes no sense to me...
Old 03-06-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.