Reload this Page >

Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

Old 03-02-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Anthem (BioWare) PS4, XB1, PC - 2/22/19

I am enjoying this far more than I should. Beat the game, but still playing just to grind. Yes, it has some super annoying shit, like the load times. My god, those are so annoying. But, overall, it's a pretty entertaining game. This may be one I keep playing for a bit, to see how it evolves.
Old 03-02-19, 04:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts

do you get better, more powerful javelins down the line? i'm in the beginning and have shards enough to buy a new one now, but would i just be wasting if i'm at the beginning? man, i really wish this game explained more...

And another thing being about expeditions, sometimes I get lost and have to get back and then by that time other 3 randoms kill everything and mission over, without me doing much at all. Still get credit, but I want to do it all. I believe Destiny does it like that. Or at least 2. That’s not good.

And they got to fix loading times, no? Is that a simple fix? I mean it’s like 35Gb, not enormously huge by any means so content should come up fast, I would imagine...

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-02-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 306 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
do you get better, more powerful javelins down the line? i'm in the beginning and have shards enough to buy a new one now, but would i just be wasting if i'm at the beginning? man, i really wish this game explained more...
Javelins are unlocked as you level up. You don't buy them. You have the same four javelin types to choose from at the end as you do at the beginning.
Old 03-02-19, 08:36 PM

I was able to buy new upgraded suits using shards I have. What are those?
Old 03-02-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Cosmetic skins, I guess.
Old 03-02-19, 09:24 PM

so what else are shards used for? they seem rare and no way can build up numbers they want for simply upgrading skins...
Old 03-02-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Skins, emotes, stuff like that. Doesn’t have an impact on gameplay.

Shards aren’t found. They’re bought (although some come with the Legion of Dawn edition). They’re the microtransaction currency.
Old 03-03-19, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Skins, emotes, stuff like that. Doesn’t have an impact on gameplay.

Shards aren’t found. They’re bought (although some come with the Legion of Dawn edition). They’re the microtransaction currency.
i got LoD edition and didn't get any shards...
Old 03-03-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I must be misremembering. I thought it came with a pack of 500 shards.

Everything I've read has said that shards are purchased. For instance, from US Gamer's guide:

While you’ll earn Coin from simply playing Anthem (completing missions, salvaging gear etc.), you’ll only be able to purchase Shards with real world money.
...and Polygon:

You earn coin through in-game activities, Challenges and the Alliance system. You have to purchase shards for real money — they’re Anthem’s microtransactions.
When I looked last night, after about 17 hours of play overall, my shard count still stood at zero.
Old 03-03-19, 01:52 PM

where do you see what level you are so you know when you can change javelins at the Forge?
Old 03-03-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
where do you see what level you are so you know when you can change javelins at the Forge?
Dude come on. It literally tells you that on the menu screen
Old 03-03-19, 06:55 PM

I dunno about this game. It’s like I play for 5 minutes, do the least amount of work and get rewarded and move on. Then 10 minutes of load screens and story dialogue with various characters. It’s gotten that I’m speed reading or just skipping and quickly following what they say. Just too much. This game definitely has an identity crisis. Is it a single player, multi, rpg, who knows? I would have been so good with this world, gameplay in a nice medium length simple player campaign. This game has too much going on and colliding and I just don’t know...
Old 03-03-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The retail game is a massive downgrade visually from the gameplay video released in 2017... o.O

Old 03-03-19, 07:58 PM

Man, where’d the first game go??
Old 03-04-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
The retail game is a massive downgrade visually from the gameplay video released in 2017... o.O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBcPS6XVABA

Massive Downgrade?.....I don't see a thing wrong with the game one bit visual. In fact it's far better looking than a lot of others out there. This is like someone trying to compare 4K to 8K....nick-picking you cannot see enough detail in the leaves and foliage in the 4K version versus the 8K. So what some smoke is missing, a few facial details not there and some cloth doesn't show enough threads.....big whoop. And in terms of graphical downgrades, there's been plenty through out the years and far, far more noticeable than this. I'm not sure how some would be able to cope and handle any games from the Xbox 360 and PS3 let alone ones from the Xbox and PS2 with those lousy pathetic visuals......in fact go play Fallout 76 and then come back and complain about the Anthem Downgrade...

Oh one more thing....with the E3 2017 "Everything you see was captured in game play".....it was also shown in 4K....the retail version gameplay as a compassion is not....

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-04-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A downgrade visually is not the same as something "wrong" with the game. Visually it's still rather stunning in comparison to a lot of games, yes. It's just a comment about how they advertised it as one thing but delivered something that is objectively lesser quality in terms of illumination, lighting, scope of the world, and dynamic NPC encounters. You're basically twisting words to bash legitimate concerns, and it's totally fine if you disagree, but your attitude is rather hostile. Did the video upset you that much? The quality of games from past generations has nothing to do with a game being released in 2019 being worse than it was advertised to be 2 years prior to release. So that is an extremely silly comparison to attempt to make. I wouldn't expect a AAA game released in 2019 to be compared to one released in 2002. I also fully realize the EA 2017 video is of an incomplete game and things are obviously going to change as development goes on. A lot of these downgrades probably happened to better optimize the game for better fps and smooth playback. In any case the video goes really in-depth about a lot of changes that are objectively worse and some that are subjectively worse than what was originally shown. It's not just the visuals as the video notes, just a few examples is how NPCs no longer move around or initiate interactions as you come into areas and how much emptier areas seems to be both in objects and people/monsters.

There is apparently also reports on reddit and other forums, which the developers have responded to saying they're working on it as of days ago, of a critical error with the game that is hard crashing most commonly on PS4 which shuts down the console in an unsafe way and results in a safety check of the harddrive.

Last edited by Koby; 03-04-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and how much emptier areas seems to be both in objects and people/monsters.
well they did manage to get rid of Gladd
Old 03-04-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by musick View Post
well they did manage to get rid of Gladd
lol I just read about that. Apparently they banned him for streaming an exploit of how to get a certain loot and they blamed him for the exploit becoming so well known. Seemed like a silly reason to ban someone, they should've just quickly patched it, but I know nothing of Gladd prior so maybe there is more history with him that lead to them banning him?
Old 03-04-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can remember when Destiny 2 came out and it was "WOW...look at how great this game looks" and no-one complained one bit..neither did I as I thought it and D1 were just fine....I'll let the videos speak for themselves and see if Anthem still looks like it was 'Downgraded".....

March 3, 2019...Anthem PC Gameplay at Ultra 60FPS with video at 720P HD....

<iframe width="871" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hwO_9Ag4okI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

October 2017...Destiny 2 PC Gameplay at Ultra 60FPS with video at 720 HD.....

<iframe width="871" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NDbYc-7t0lw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think if Buzz were ever accused of a crime he would blame Destiny
it is his only go to for any argument he tries to have instead of sticking to the merits of the argument
it took him about a minute to pull the above post from his retort with Destiny comparison files

but I know nothing of Gladd prior so maybe there is more history with him that lead to them banning him?
Gladd is pretty well know Twitch streamer
he and his (high-end PVE) clan Redeem are well known especially in the Destiny community for being worlds first to complete new raids and content
they also do speedruns to see how quickly they can best the top time to complete higher end activities and also do runs where they are able to use their smarts and the tools the game provides (including uncovering exploits) that can allow them to do things like 2 man a raid activity that is meant to be run by a team of 6

anyway, I know Gladd did a lot of streaming of Anthem prior to and upon release and was pretty darn supportive of the game despite the hate the game was getting .... I'm sure his platform brought people to the game that might have passed on it
there is no history with him and EA/Bioware that I am aware of .... it was a shit move to ban him for bringing attention to things the developers left open as opportunities
Old 03-04-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

@K&AJones
Yeah more comparisons that have zero relevance. Destiny 2 has nothing to do with the comparison between what was shown of Anthem 2 years ago versus what we actually got on release.

@musick
Wow, that makes his ban even more of a shit move. Wonder if he'll get unbanned or if he even wants to.

Last edited by Koby; 03-04-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A downgrade visually is not the same as something "wrong" with the game. Visually it's still rather stunning in comparison to a lot of games, yes. It's just a comment about how they advertised it as one thing but delivered something that is objectively lesser quality in terms of illumination, lighting, scope of the world, and dynamic NPC encounters. You're basically twisting words to bash legitimate concerns, and it's totally fine if you disagree, but your attitude is rather hostile. Did the video upset you that much? The quality of games from past generations has nothing to do with a game being released in 2019 being worse than it was advertised to be 2 years prior to release. So that is an extremely silly comparison to attempt to make. I wouldn't expect a AAA game released in 2019 to be compared to one released in 2002. I also fully realize the EA 2017 video is of an incomplete game and things are obviously going to change as development goes on. A lot of these downgrades probably happened to better optimize the game for better fps and smooth playback. In any case the video goes really in-depth about a lot of changes that are objectively worse and some that are subjectively worse than what was originally shown. It's not just the visuals as the video notes, just a few examples is how NPCs no longer move around or initiate interactions as you come into areas and how much emptier areas seems to be both in objects and people/monsters.

There is apparently also reports on reddit and other forums, which the developers have responded to saying they're working on it as of days ago, of a critical error with the game that is hard crashing most commonly on PS4 which shuts down the console in an unsafe way and results in a safety check of the harddrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UhdT60sPxY

Yes that it out there and yes even on the official EA Anthem Forums.... https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-...ical-issues-en ....some are reporting this. As tothe numbers, doesn't matter how many, fact it's happening is not good. I've got close to 12 on my Friends list that have played it since day one and none of them have mentioned it and haven't seen it yet. Yesterday a lot had issues getting on with various error messages after the morning update. A few times after I finally got in, screen would flash and I get 'Unable To Connect'....or "Unable to retrieve Anthem Live Service"....

It's a shame because most of us that have stuck with it really like what the core of the game is and can be...but the glitches like in Quickplay with missing waypoints, beacons, audio instruction, doors that won't open that so far has happened to me about 60% of the time have left me more frustrated than having fun. Freeplay works the best and have no issues in there except no way to call for help or see if anyone needs it on the map or if a World Event is up. Like I said on the Foru,....it's like having this awesome looking Car-Show vehicle but the engine is sputtering, backfiring, out of tune, leaking that needs a serious tuneup and attention. What good is a nice shiny awesome looking car if you can't drive it....same with Anthem. When it works it's really a great time...but that's the problem...it's not working enough...

I'd soon have them take it offline for a week or two, work on a complete overhaul dealing with the technical issues and the bugs & glitches and then fire it back up. I have Division 2 in two weeks and sometime this month Path of Exile hitting on the PS4. I'm throwing in the towel completely on Anthem...as I said on the forum, just shelving it till it's fixed.
Old 03-04-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick View Post
I think if Buzz were ever accused of a crime he would blame Destiny
it is his only go to for any argument he tries to have instead of sticking to the merits of the argument
it took him about a minute to pull the above post from his retort with Destiny comparison files
There are 3 constants we've come to depend on in these forums:
1. Oldboy does not know how to use Google (or does not care to use it)
2. Buzz bashes Destiny (even in non Destiny related threads)
3. Ice defends Destiny (even in non Destiny related threads)

Old 03-04-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
There are 3 constants we've come to depend on in these forums:
1. Oldboy does not know how to use Google (or does not care to use it)
2. Buzz bashes Destiny (even in non Destiny related threads)
3. Ice defends Destiny (even in non Destiny related threads)

What are you high?

in all honesty I'd just as soon have ignored this thread like I will this game but I did find the ban of Gladd somewhat disturbing and didn't know if it was being discussed at all
pretty sure I've never defended Destiny in any non Destiny thread ... if you can find instance of such let alone repeated incidents I'd be curious to see

point #2 cannot be disputed

go Hawks
Old 03-04-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Is this game 2D or 3D?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.