Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-15-17, 10:57 PM   #26
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I believe Best Buy is also throwing in a $10 gift card. So at the end of the day, it's barely breaking $20. Reminds me of the old NFL 2K days.
#FAKENEWS. I just checked. Best Buy has a $10 RZ Certificate for preorder of 2K18. With NBA Live 18 the only "bonus" is the 33% off price. Not enough to sell me on a game that I suspect will be inferior.
Old 08-16-17, 08:00 AM   #27
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
#FAKENEWS. I just checked. Best Buy has a $10 RZ Certificate for preorder of 2K18.
I should have known better than to trust what is said on the Cagcast
Old 08-25-17, 08:36 PM   #28
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Downloaded the demo on the XBox One and played for about 90 minutes today.

There are only 2 playable NBA teams, the Cavs and Warriors. However, you need to play 2 levels of the story mode in order to unlock it.

The story mode is you being a once promising college player, but you blew out your knee and your career and NBA chances ended (back in 2015) However, you're trying to work your way back up through the playground circuit. Your playing at various notable parks and courts around the U.S. and when you do well, you improve your skills and earn points.

Only thing that's crappy about the story mode is having to watch a few segments of First Take on ESPN with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman yelling at each other for roughly 7-8 minutes. They are sort of talking about you and another player. Once you get past that part, I thought the story mode was kind of fun.

As for the actual game play when playing with the Warriors and Cavs, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular. Good and smooth animations. The players look like their counterparts.

I don't know, if you're a die hard 2K fan, I'm sure your'e probably sticking with it and not changing. Plus, 2K has the all-time teams feature, which this doesn't. This does have the WNBA feature though, but that's not playable on the demo....at least I don't think so.
Old 08-25-17, 09:08 PM   #29
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Downloaded the demo on the XBox One and played for about 90 minutes today.

There are only 2 playable NBA teams, the Cavs and Warriors. However, you need to play 2 levels of the story mode in order to unlock it.

The story mode is you being a once promising college player, but you blew out your knee and your career and NBA chances ended (back in 2015) However, you're trying to work your way back up through the playground circuit. Your playing at various notable parks and courts around the U.S. and when you do well, you improve your skills and earn points.

Only thing that's crappy about the story mode is having to watch a few segments of First Take on ESPN with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman yelling at each other for roughly 7-8 minutes. They are sort of talking about you and another player. Once you get past that part, I thought the story mode was kind of fun.

As for the actual game play when playing with the Warriors and Cavs, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular. Good and smooth animations. The players look like their counterparts.

I don't know, if you're a die hard 2K fan, I'm sure your'e probably sticking with it and not changing. Plus, 2K has the all-time teams feature, which this doesn't. This does have the WNBA feature though, but that's not playable on the demo....at least I don't think so.
So is that like a metaphor for this game franchise? Otherwise who wants to play as a guy who washed out years ago and is working his way back?
Old 09-16-17, 11:47 AM   #30
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

So the $39.99 price point was only temporary. This went back up to $59.99.

I decided to purchase only 2K18. I've whored myself out to buying both editions in the past, but I decided to only stick with 2K this time around. That's really all I have time to play. In retrospect it did seem kinda redundant owning 2 NBA video games.
Old 09-16-17, 12:21 PM   #31
The Questyen
DVD Talk Special Edition

They said that from the beginning. The lower price was only for preorders.
Old 09-16-17, 10:05 PM   #32
Red Hood
DVD Talk Special Edition

This video shows how out of whack some of the animations are in NBA Live 18

Bruuuuuh, #NBAlive ���� • ��: @ronkingwin

A post shared by Basketball (@hoopspalace) on

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017...vertical-video

Last edited by Red Hood; 09-16-17 at 10:19 PM..
Old 09-16-17, 10:19 PM   #33
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

So how are the microtransactions? I feel like the VC issue in 2k has reached a boiling point for me, and though I don't hold EA up as a bastion against greed, if Live has less of it I may be tempted to buy it in support.
Old 09-17-17, 05:37 PM   #34
jacob_b
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does Live have a MyCareer type thing or what's so good about the game compared to 2K?
Old 09-17-17, 05:39 PM   #35
jacob_b
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This video shows how out of whack some of the animations are in NBA Live 18

Bruuuuuh, #NBAlive ���� ��: @ronkingwin

A post shared by Basketball (@hoopspalace) on

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017...vertical-video
HAHAHA, the commentary makes it golden. But yeah, if IT has D like that when he comes back, Cavs all the way LOL
Old 09-17-17, 07:16 PM   #36
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Does Live have a MyCareer type thing or what's so good about the game compared to 2K?
I played some of the demo. See Post #28 for my thoughts. Yes they do have a Story Mode of sorts. It's a little different than 2K.

I believe the big hook for this year's edition of Live is the ability to play with WNBA teams.

2K's hook this year is playing with the all-time teams.