Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-17, 10:57 PM   #26
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 38,330
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I believe Best Buy is also throwing in a $10 gift card. So at the end of the day, it's barely breaking $20. Reminds me of the old NFL 2K days.
#FAKENEWS. I just checked. Best Buy has a $10 RZ Certificate for preorder of 2K18. With NBA Live 18 the only "bonus" is the 33% off price. Not enough to sell me on a game that I suspect will be inferior.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 08:00 AM   #27
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,695
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
#FAKENEWS. I just checked. Best Buy has a $10 RZ Certificate for preorder of 2K18.
I should have known better than to trust what is said on the Cagcast
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 08:36 PM   #28
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 49,582
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Downloaded the demo on the XBox One and played for about 90 minutes today.

There are only 2 playable NBA teams, the Cavs and Warriors. However, you need to play 2 levels of the story mode in order to unlock it.

The story mode is you being a once promising college player, but you blew out your knee and your career and NBA chances ended (back in 2015) However, you're trying to work your way back up through the playground circuit. Your playing at various notable parks and courts around the U.S. and when you do well, you improve your skills and earn points.

Only thing that's crappy about the story mode is having to watch a few segments of First Take on ESPN with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman yelling at each other for roughly 7-8 minutes. They are sort of talking about you and another player. Once you get past that part, I thought the story mode was kind of fun.

As for the actual game play when playing with the Warriors and Cavs, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular. Good and smooth animations. The players look like their counterparts.

I don't know, if you're a die hard 2K fan, I'm sure your'e probably sticking with it and not changing. Plus, 2K has the all-time teams feature, which this doesn't. This does have the WNBA feature though, but that's not playable on the demo....at least I don't think so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 09:08 PM   #29
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Downloaded the demo on the XBox One and played for about 90 minutes today.

There are only 2 playable NBA teams, the Cavs and Warriors. However, you need to play 2 levels of the story mode in order to unlock it.

The story mode is you being a once promising college player, but you blew out your knee and your career and NBA chances ended (back in 2015) However, you're trying to work your way back up through the playground circuit. Your playing at various notable parks and courts around the U.S. and when you do well, you improve your skills and earn points.

Only thing that's crappy about the story mode is having to watch a few segments of First Take on ESPN with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman yelling at each other for roughly 7-8 minutes. They are sort of talking about you and another player. Once you get past that part, I thought the story mode was kind of fun.

As for the actual game play when playing with the Warriors and Cavs, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular. Good and smooth animations. The players look like their counterparts.

I don't know, if you're a die hard 2K fan, I'm sure your'e probably sticking with it and not changing. Plus, 2K has the all-time teams feature, which this doesn't. This does have the WNBA feature though, but that's not playable on the demo....at least I don't think so.
So is that like a metaphor for this game franchise? Otherwise who wants to play as a guy who washed out years ago and is working his way back?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 11:47 AM   #30
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 49,582
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

So the $39.99 price point was only temporary. This went back up to $59.99.

I decided to purchase only 2K18. I've whored myself out to buying both editions in the past, but I decided to only stick with 2K this time around. That's really all I have time to play. In retrospect it did seem kinda redundant owning 2 NBA video games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 12:21 PM   #31
The Questyen
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,240
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

They said that from the beginning. The lower price was only for preorders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 10:05 PM   #32
Red Hood
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,113
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

This video shows how out of whack some of the animations are in NBA Live 18

Bruuuuuh, #NBAlive ���� • ��: @ronkingwin

A post shared by Basketball (@hoopspalace) on



https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017...vertical-video

Last edited by Red Hood; 09-16-17 at 10:19 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 10:19 PM   #33
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

So how are the microtransactions? I feel like the VC issue in 2k has reached a boiling point for me, and though I don't hold EA up as a bastion against greed, if Live has less of it I may be tempted to buy it in support.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 05:37 PM   #34
jacob_b
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,360
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Does Live have a MyCareer type thing or what's so good about the game compared to 2K?
__________________
Horror Movie Challenge: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 05:39 PM   #35
jacob_b
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,360
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
This video shows how out of whack some of the animations are in NBA Live 18

Bruuuuuh, #NBAlive ���� ��: @ronkingwin

A post shared by Basketball (@hoopspalace) on



https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017...vertical-video
HAHAHA, the commentary makes it golden. But yeah, if IT has D like that when he comes back, Cavs all the way LOL
__________________
Horror Movie Challenge: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 07:16 PM   #36
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 49,582
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Does Live have a MyCareer type thing or what's so good about the game compared to 2K?
I played some of the demo. See Post #28 for my thoughts. Yes they do have a Story Mode of sorts. It's a little different than 2K.

I believe the big hook for this year's edition of Live is the ability to play with WNBA teams.

2K's hook this year is playing with the all-time teams.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 12:57 PM   #37
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

So I somehow missed that the retail price of this went down to 30 bucks, but now it's 15 on PSN for BF. Probably still won't touch it...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 01:51 PM   #38
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 49,582
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Yeah I've seen it for $29.99 at Best Buy and Game Stop for awhile now. It must be a poor seller if EA can't move them at $60.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 02:22 PM   #39
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 38,330
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yeah I've seen it for $29.99 at Best Buy and Game Stop for awhile now. It must be a poor seller if EA can't move them at $60.
I think it was $40 at launch. They knew that they couldn't compete straight up with 2K18 at the same price point
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 02:23 PM   #40
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I think it was $40 at launch. They knew that they couldn't compete straight up with 2K18 at the same price point
Nah it was 40 bucks before launch (like a preorder incentive), then went back up to 60 when it released.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 02:27 PM   #41
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 38,330
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Wow. Didn't know that. I've never seen another game try that to encourage pre-orders. Wonder if it helped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 02:10 PM   #42
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

This game is now 10 bucks on PSN. 10 bucks. Still too steep. Might as well make it a PS plus freebie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 06:57 PM   #43
Sonny Corinthos
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 4,307
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

For ten bucks, it's more than worth it IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 09:35 PM   #44
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,921
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

Downloaded it over BF but haven't played it yet. Had to get it since my dude James Harden is the cover athlete
__________________
My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 10:11 PM   #45
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 49,582
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

I bought it from PSN. I had 11 bucks in my PSN account and the game cost $9.89.

I've been enjoying 2K18 very much, but a little less than $10 is hard to beat. The actual NBA game is redundant, but I may try the My Player option and see if the WNBA feature works.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 09:21 PM   #46
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,695
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

$4.49 on PSN for PS+ members

https://slickdeals.net/f/11268635-nb...9-with-ps-plus
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 11:28 PM   #47
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,531
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

I feel bad waiting until it's a ps plus freebie...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 06:31 AM   #48
Sonny Corinthos
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 4,307
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

NBA Live 18 is available now in The Vault for EA Access subscribers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:36 PM   #49
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 53,003
Re: EA Sports NBA LIVE 18.

$4.50 on Xbox too.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11278715-nb...-download-4-50

I'm tempted just to have a NBA game to goof around in for a bit.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0