Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games for two..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,272 Likes on 730 Posts
Games for two..

I'm looking to get a system for my wife and I. Neither of us are the shooter game type or really into sports games so I know that sort of limits us. We do like RPG's though.

I'd like to get something we could both sit on the couch together and play. I've seen "overcooked" seems to be fun and I think that's a lock but I'm looking for some other fun 2 player recommendations. I don't want to start a console war here but it was recommended to me that PS4 has more games than Xbox for this sort of thing so I'm leaning towards that. I'll likely pick up the BB $199 1tb PS4 this week (I was going to get the pro since I do have a 4k TV but I'm not sure it's really worth it for that).

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to come home with at least 3 games. I've checked Gamespot and read some articles on some options but there's nothing better than the real experts here
Old 11-19-17, 10:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Games for two..

Lego Dimensions is pretty fun with two people. Just remember that you have to regularly move characters around on the portal thing, so keep it close and assign one of you to that task. To keep it simple, I would also suggest just using the characters that come in the main game until you finish it. Then go ahead and buy new characters to unlock new levels/missions/etc.
Old 11-19-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Nintendo Switch would actually be a good option to play games like Mario Kart or even puzzle games like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I love Overcooked, my wife isn't a gamer at all and enjoys playing with me.
Old 11-19-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First, this site is a great resource, http://www.co-optimus.com/system/22/playstation-4.html

Here are some of my picks:

Diablo 3
Cars 3 Driven to Win (might be too childish unless you're a Disney fan)
Rocket League
Any of the Lego games
Alienation
Old 11-19-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The Nintendo Switch would actually be a good option to play games like Mario Kart or even puzzle games like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I love Overcooked, my wife isn't a gamer at all and enjoys playing with me.
Snipperclips is a must-have for couch co-op on the Switch as well.
Old 11-19-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Lego Dimensions is pretty fun with two people. Just remember that you have to regularly move characters around on the portal thing, so keep it close and assign one of you to that task. To keep it simple, I would also suggest just using the characters that come in the main game until you finish it. Then go ahead and buy new characters to unlock new levels/missions/etc.
Or if you don't want to buy Legos, any of the other Lego games apart from Dimensions are basically the same game, without any of the toys.
Old 11-19-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I'm curious why someone said the PS4 had more co op games. In my experience, the main co op games aren't console exclusives, mainly because the concept of single console co op for premium titles has mostly gone away for stuff like first person shooters and racers, which are mainly online play only.

Party games like Jackbox are on multiple platforms, as are lego games and most fighting games.

Switch is built for co op so like others have said, that's a decent choice. For my daughter and I we both play DS co op on stuff like Fantasy Life and Animal Crossing but you need two consoles.
Old 11-19-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Snipperclips is a must-have for couch co-op on the Switch as well.
We just started playing this tonight. My wife (who never plays games) got the hang of it pretty fast.
Old 11-20-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Well...we just completed Knack 2 and hands down one of the best couch co-op games out there. We played Knack I and this is leaps & bounds far better and can be enjoyed by about any age group. We've played the Lego Games in the past and even Diablo III, Alienation, various COD games and modes but they really did do a super job with Knack II. I have no idea why the bashing on the game.
Old 11-20-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Thanks all for the advice. I got the PS4 and I didn't realize almost all this stuff was just purchasable through the store so that makes it easy enough. Played Overcooked and will look at the other suggestions here.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious why someone said the PS4 had more co op games. In my experience, the main co op games aren't console exclusives, mainly because the concept of single console co op for premium titles has mostly gone away for stuff like first person shooters and racers, which are mainly online play only.
It was at a family gathering and we had 3-4 folks that are gamers who all said the PS4. So that was fine. it didn't really matter to me the hardware .. I figured they are mostly all the same.
Old 11-20-17, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Diablo 3 is a blast on co-op. My wife and I play it often.
Old 11-20-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by General Zod
Thanks all for the advice. I got the PS4
Awesome!

Another recommendation: That's You! It's a great party game, especially if you can get 3+ people. Like Jackbox, you play on your phones/tablets rather than with controllers.
Old 11-20-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,180 Likes on 4,208 Posts

I hear Knack 2 has fun local co-op.

You can buy a used copy from a local Redbox machine for $10. I just bought a copy for myself this morning.

If you would prefer a new copy with a case, it's $20 at Best Buy now for Elite members and will be that price on Black Friday as well
Old 11-20-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Decker
If you would prefer a new copy with a case, it's $20 at Best Buy now for Elite members and will be that price on Black Friday as well
Knack 2 is $20 at GameStop right this minute as well.
Old 11-22-17, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

OK So need a bit of help here.. My wife really liked Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 trailer and, thanks to the link provided by Gooter it shows it's 2 players. So it was like $14.99 or something on the current special.

Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 Deluxe Edition Packs
Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 - Frosty Deluxe Edition POP
Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 - Frosty Edition Content
Plants vs Zombies GW2

Anyhow we can't seem to figure out how to play 2 player. Anyone have any ideas? All the videos and stuff that explains how to do it looks like an entirely different game. In this one we are starting on the moon and I can't find any of the yellow terminals that allows split screen. Perhaps I purchased the wrong thing

Last edited by General Zod; 11-22-17 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anything in here help?

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/14...co-op-faq.html
Old 11-22-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Gooter
So I read in a thread somewhere late last night where someone else was having the issue and someone asked "Was it done downloading?". So it was a digital download so I figured it was done but I guess what was happening is the game was putting me in some sort of demo play area or something while the game was still downloading in the background. Would have been nice if it had said something about that!

I loaded it this morning to see if anything was different and when I first turned on the PS4 it told me that it was now downloaded and available. I launched it and it's completely different and it aligns now with the screenshots/videos I had seen.

So problem solved Thanks!
Old 11-22-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So I read in a thread somewhere late last night where someone else was having the issue and someone asked "Was it done downloading?". So it was a digital download so I figured it was done but I guess what was happening is the game was putting me in some sort of demo play area or something while the game was still downloading in the background. Would have been nice if it had said something about that!

I loaded it this morning to see if anything was different and when I first turned on the PS4 it told me that it was now downloaded and available. I launched it and it's completely different and it aligns now with the screenshots/videos I had seen.

So problem solved Thanks!
Trust me, that's much better than having to wait for the entire game to download, though there should be an indicator saying the full game is still in progress.
Old 11-22-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

OK So need a bit of help here.. My wife really liked Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 trailer and, thanks to the link provided by Gooter it shows it's 2 players. So it was like $14.99 or something on the current special.

Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 Deluxe Edition Packs
Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 - Frosty Deluxe Edition POP
Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare 2 - Frosty Edition Content
Plants vs Zombies GW2

Anyhow we can't seem to figure out how to play 2 player. Anyone have any ideas? All the videos and stuff that explains how to do it looks like an entirely different game. In this one we are starting on the moon and I can't find any of the yellow terminals that allows split screen. Perhaps I purchased the wrong thing
That first one is plenty unless you want to go gung-ho and need a bunch of special characters unlocked at the very beginning. When that game came out I think the Deluxe Edition was $69.00. We play it here and there and it is a hoot but make no mistake, it can be challenging as some who play the MP a lot take it seriously....when you play you can see their rank.

....and FWIW, if I just got a new TV and wanted to show it off, this game would be one to do it. It does for gaming what Toy Story & A Bug's Life did for animated movies.