Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 5 - 3/27/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Far Cry 5 - 3/27/18

There’s really no point in doing a stealth play style. Hiding spots are rare to find and the rate of enemies had me spotted almost instantly

Can you still repeat outposts? Was thinking of going guns blazing first and stealth for the second attempt.
Old 03-29-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

One thing I got a kick out of was near the very beginning (and I really don't think this is a spoiler) you have to climb way up to the top of this tower, and the guy talking to you on the radio goes, "Don't worry--I'm not going to have you climbing towers all the time."

Anyone who's played other Far Cry games will get the joke.

Played another couple hours last night. They level-up perk system seems really generous. I'll play for a while and realize I have like 6 points to use. I've added one weapon spot but would really like to add the last one, but it says I have to beat a lieutenant first.

I've taken 2 outposts using stealth, not terribly difficult, but a couple things I don't get: (1) I have a suppressor on both my sniper rifle and pistol, but when I shoot someone I'm still almost always detected, and (2) if I have a companion with bow take someone out, I can get detected that way too. Don't get it.

Finally, the visuals are really quite amazing: swimming underwater and seeing a shadow from a boat come down across you, walking up a mountain at sunrise as the sun comes through the trees--really fantastic.
Old 03-29-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

They spot you way too easily in this game. I really enjoy it but it is tough to go in stealthily. I have about 4 hours or so of game time in.

I also had this happen.
Spoiler:
I was marked and a hunting party came and captured me.
The preacher from Liberty Falls actually came and broke me out of the prison van I was in and then we had to fight our way to more captives. I was sent to rescue a guy and then we had to escape in a helicopter. I am not sure if this was a mission or an event that happened because I was captured.
Old 03-29-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
They spot you way too easily in this game. I really enjoy it but it is tough to go in stealthily. I have about 4 hours or so of game time in.

I also had this happen.
Spoiler:
I was marked and a hunting party came and captured me.
The preacher from Liberty Falls actually came and broke me out of the prison van I was in and then we had to fight our way to more captives. I was sent to rescue a guy and then we had to escape in a helicopter. I am not sure if this was a mission or an event that happened because I was captured.
I got that last night....was not easy at first but was still fun....

I haven't got a suppressor yet but could buy one but that Bow is just wicked. I've gone after the sniper/lookouts on top of buildings from a good distance and haven't alerted anyone. With Boomer the Dog it's a hit or miss on alerting but I just toss the rock and Arrow-in-the-Head and then move the body...also the Throwing Knives work well.
Old 03-29-18, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did NOT enjoy the unskippable intro/rail shooter.
Old 03-29-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Did they bring back the wingsuit/can you sky dive?

I don't get all the hate on crafting -but I guess that's just me as I hate crafting as well but in far cry games it just seemed right.

I'm interested in this game due to IGN's review.

One of the most important questions, has driving improved? like when you move the camera with the right thumb stick while moving - is it just a jarring shock-move to whatever side you view or is it nice and smooth like a GTA game?
Old 03-29-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking IGN posted a video on Youtube with a major Gun Reveal Spoiler

I think I'll unsubscribe till I'm finished with the campaign. What a bunch of assholes!
Old 03-29-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Fucking IGN posted a video on Youtube with a major Gun Reveal Spoiler

I think I'll unsubscribe till I'm finished with the campaign. What a bunch of assholes!
I'm avoiding it....it's like the game has been out a few days and already all the "How to Find/Get_______" videos are out.....it was that way with Ghost Recon when they came out with the Sniper Specs and told everyone where to get the Best Sniper like in the first week.

I ended up with about every gun in FC4...but like Borderlands, you can have a Zillion Guns but can only carry and use so many. Thankfully in FC5 there's not those Ultimate Guns unless you really crave the paint jobs......but they'll be some that will skip exploring 80% of the world just to go ahead and get the must haves, collectibles or find some cheats to get endless piles of money.....shame but to each their own I guess....
Old 03-29-18, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11

One of the most important questions, has driving improved? like when you move the camera with the right thumb stick while moving - is it just a jarring shock-move to whatever side you view or is it nice and smooth like a GTA game?
Yes, the did, and it's still great fun.

And yes, the driving seems fine to me, and they still have the autodrive feature so just press L3 on PS4 and you get right to where you're going.
Old 03-29-18, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Played about an Hour and just got the fishing rod. So all I wanna do is fish
Where do you get the fishing rod?
Old 03-29-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by House
Where do you get the fishing rod?
On the starting island there's a merchant by the lake that will sell a rod.
Old 03-29-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I'm avoiding it....it's like the game has been out a few days and already all the "How to Find/Get_______" videos are out.....it was that way with Ghost Recon when they came out with the Sniper Specs and told everyone where to get the Best Sniper like in the first week.

I ended up with about every gun in FC4...but like Borderlands, you can have a Zillion Guns but can only carry and use so many. Thankfully in FC5 there's not those Ultimate Guns unless you really crave the paint jobs......but they'll be some that will skip exploring 80% of the world just to go ahead and get the must haves, collectibles or find some cheats to get endless piles of money.....shame but to each their own I guess....
It actually is an Advanced weapon . From what I can see it's not listed by the merchant to buy. It looked like an endgame weapon as a surprise reward.
Old 03-29-18, 04:43 PM

There’s really no point in doing a stealth play style. Hiding spots are rare to find and the rate of enemies had me spotted almost instantly

Can you still repeat outposts? Was thinking of going guns blazing first and stealth for the second attempt.
I've taken out an entire outpost in stealth using the shovel. I didn't get spotted until the last guy. Somehow he snuck up on me when I wasn't paying attention.
Old 03-29-18, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11

I don't get all the hate on crafting -but I guess that's just me as I hate crafting as well but in far cry games it just seemed right.

I'm interested in this game due to IGN's review.

There is a wing suit, but i can't figure out how to use it. Also a parachute, I'm not sure about sky diving unless you mean just jumping out of a helicopter.
Old 03-29-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I have had several hours on it today and really gotten into it now. Vovered a lot of ground, gained a lot of skills and bought a few weapons. Stealth can certainly be used in this game, but you have to do it intelligently. Shoot and run for new ground. If you stay in one place long enough they will zero in pretty quick. I have taken down bases with just meelee and taking my time. I actually enjoy doing it, but can't rush it.

I got the wing suit and its actually easy to use. I first used it whilst parachuting, cut the chut and glided down for a bit to cover some more distance faster. Its good.

The graphics on the game are pretty great. Going into caves and mining tunnels it almost feels like a Resident Evil game the way it plays.

I managed to get the grenade launcher and that tends to be the most fun to play around with. Explosive arrows as well are pretty cool.

One tip for players, I have noticed that there are treasure locations around (the ones with a diamond icon). Good idea to take these early as they each tend to give 3 skill points and cash amongest other things.
Old 03-30-18, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the Treasure Tip...did not know it awarded that many points....
I didn't get much done last night because I stayed in the Copperhead Rail Yard just racking up challenging points. After taking it over ....they just kept coming and the five NP's actually did a lot.......

"WE" got......(2) Helicopter s down, (2) Eagles, (3) Mountain Lions, (2) Wolves, (1) Bear, (7) VIP Cultist, at least 20 others and still went Fishing down by the river catching (5) Rainbow Trout.....

...and House, thanks for the Shovel info....I was using the Aluminum Bat but like the shovel better.

...I grabbed a Flamethrower for the first time and it does lite everything up but you need to be close. And their Flame Guys are armored more and they just keep coming after being lit up.....

...Going after Nick Rye tonight then Grace....just have only 50% of Holland's Resistance up....

....and the Blowtorch is a must have for repairing vehicle but getting the goodies in the safe...which so far yields the Silver Bars...which I see as one of the better micro-transactions any game has had. You can buy the Silver Bars with real money or find them in safes or other locations.....hats off to Ubisoft for not forcing a one -way option....using Real Money Only...on players.
Old 03-30-18, 09:30 AM

Pro Tip: Get Grace Armstrong on your squad.
Old 03-30-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have also noticed that the easiest way to make money is to hunt. Make sure to get the hunting perk that doubles the loot from skins I hunting. And make sure to try and make clean kills, explosives damage skins and the value is not as good. Pretty quickly you can make a lot of money this way. Use the meat as bait, like in the other games in the series.

I took down two of the legendary creatures today. I have also completed a car race and a plane race. Both were surprisingly enjoyable. I tend to hate these add one in games, but these seem more fun.
Old 03-30-18, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Thanks for the Treasure Tip...did not know it awarded that many points....
I didn't get much done last night because I stayed in the Copperhead Rail Yard just racking up challenging points. After taking it over ....they just kept coming and the five NP's actually did a lot.......

"WE" got......(2) Helicopter s down, (2) Eagles, (3) Mountain Lions, (2) Wolves, (1) Bear, (7) VIP Cultist, at least 20 others and still went Fishing down by the river catching (5) Rainbow Trout.....

...and House, thanks for the Shovel info....I was using the Aluminum Bat but like the shovel better.

...I grabbed a Flamethrower for the first time and it does lite everything up but you need to be close. And their Flame Guys are armored more and they just keep coming after being lit up.....

...Going after Nick Rye tonight then Grace....just have only 50% of Holland's Resistance up....

....and the Blowtorch is a must have for repairing vehicle but getting the goodies in the safe...which so far yields the Silver Bars...which I see as one of the better micro-transactions any game has had. You can buy the Silver Bars with real money or find them in safes or other locations.....hats off to Ubisoft for not forcing a one -way option....using Real Money Only...on players.
You're welcome I'm glad you like the shovel. I'ts OP as heck.

You can also blow open safes with dynamite or remote mines, and all the contents inside will be in tact.

I got Grace last night, I ditched boomer for her.
Spoiler:
She has been amazing so far, she is a sniper.
Old 03-30-18, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have also noticed that the easiest way to make money is to hunt. Make sure to get the hunting perk that doubles the loot from skins I hunting. And make sure to try and make clean kills, explosives damage skins and the value is not as good. Pretty quickly you can make a lot of money this way. Use the meat as bait, like in the other games in the series.

I took down two of the legendary creatures today. I have also completed a car race and a plane race. Both were surprisingly enjoyable. I tend to hate these add one in games, but these seem more fun.
Good tip. I had totally glossed over that perk but now that you mention it I've been getting $180 each without it so doubling it would be great.

I wish there was a way to see mods before buying. I wasted like $900 on a shotgun sight that seemed good but ended up being like a sniper rifle scope, not what I was looking for for a shotgun at all.
Old 03-30-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went ahead and bought the blowtorch to open safes. It doesn't take long and you don't have to craft or purchase anything for each use.
Old 03-30-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Has anyone seen or heard any XB1X / PS4 Pro comparisons? I was thinking about swapping my copy out at Target.
I'll answer my own question. XB1X runs in native 4K and has some faster loading times during fast travel. So I'll try to swap my copy.
Old 03-30-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I played about 3 hours today... which is more than I get in a week; game is that good. That said, I've not found Boomer or a fishing rod, dammit.
Old 03-31-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really they would have made the looting bodies automatic or made it a different button press than picking up dropped weapons. There are too many times that I have tried to loot a body to then toss my weapon and pick up theirs. One time I was unable to recover my tossed weapon and had to go to a store to get it back. Also, I was about to get in a vehicle and looked at my map to mark the waypoint and when I went back to the game, that vehicle and all others in view had disappeared. Other than that, the game is damn fun and addictive.
Old 03-31-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember Watch Dogs 2 saved all of your marked enemies where even if you died you wouldn't have to re-mark the same enemies. Was really hoping they'd do the same for FC5 or every open world game

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.