Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Nintendo PlayStation Prototype Repaired and Capable of Playing Games.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Perhaps the most valuable piece of retro gaming hardware on the planet just gained even more value, as the once-dead Super Nintendo PlayStation prototype has been brought back to full functionality.

Hardware hacker Ben Heckendorn, known online as Ben Heck, finally conquered the last piece in the SNES PlayStation puzzle, getting the CD-ROM to boot up a game.

It was known the Super Nintendo PlayStation prototype could power on, but it was unable to boot software from CD-ROM, or even play music.

The owners of the prototype, which is the only known Super Nintendo PlayStation prototype in the entire world, loaned Heck the unit, with Heck promising he'd have it fully operational by the 2017 Midwest Gaming Classic.

He was able to follow through on his promise, booting up a fan-built game for the Super Nintendo PlayStation.

No official games are known to exist that were made to run on the Sony and Nintendo collaborative hardware.

The story of the Super Nintendo PlayStation is one of those retro gaming stories with interesting plot twists almost from the very beginning. The collaboration between Sony and Nintendo ended on a sour note, with Nintendo dropping the partnership basically unannounced to work with Philips instead.

Sony used what it had learned to go on and launch its own, stand-alone CD-ROM based PlayStation console. It's crazy to think how different the gaming landscape might be right now had Nintendo gone forward and put the Super Nintendo PlayStation into production.

It was generally accepted that no SNES CD-ROM prototype devices existed, until someone posted one to reddit, sending the retro gaming scene into a frenzy. The frenzy reached an ever more manic pitch when the authenticity of the prototype was confirmed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/...-playing-games

I wonder if Nintendo ever regretted pulling out of the deal with Sony?
Old 05-06-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Super Nintendo PlayStation Prototype Repaired and Capable of Playing Games.

Pretty cool stuff.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos

I wonder if Nintendo ever regretted pulling out of the deal with Sony?
N64: 33m
PS1: 103m

GCN: 22m
PS2: 150m

I'm going to say that, yes, there were probably many regrets during that time frame. Two generations of sales of Nintendo consoles barely totals half of what Sony sold with the original Playstation.
Old 05-08-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Super Nintendo PlayStation Prototype Repaired and Capable of Playing Games.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty cool stuff.

N64: 33m
PS1: 103m

GCN: 22m
PS2: 150m

I'm going to say that, yes, there were probably many regrets during that time frame. Two generations of sales of Nintendo consoles barely totals half of what Sony sold with the original Playstation.
Yeah, you are right, I didn't even think about. Here's a sentence that caught my eye in the article. It's crazy to think how different the gaming landscape might be right now had Nintendo gone forward and put the Super Nintendo PlayStation into production.

It does make you wonder how much things would be different if Nintendo hadn't backed out of the deal with Sony?