Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars Battlefront II... it's happening, not that you ever doubted it

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Star Wars Battlefront II... it's happening, not that you ever doubted it

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
While I generally want the government to stay away from games I'm all for stopping micro transactions. Anything that gets companies like EA to focus on actual game play and not how they can get more money after it's sold.
I don't think microtransactions are necessarily a bad thing for the game industry overall, since it doesn't seem like most of us want to pay full price on the upfront cost of games anyway. It's the gambling/randomized part of it.

It's much much worse with mobile F2P games, where the entire strategy is how to get people addicted to spending more.
Old 11-22-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We are paying full price on the cost of the game. We are paying 60 and the developers think we owe them a hundred.
Old 11-22-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

This all started with day one DLC, and it just keeps getting progressively worse. Game companies are more profitable than ever, so don't buy their line that due to rising game production costs, these things are needed. User base has grown substantially along with costs, and it's easier to spread a huge budget over the millions upon millions of copies sold.

Loot boxes are pure greed.

At least with a game like Titanfall 2, they simply let you outright purchase the cosmetic items, not force you to gamble hoping you get the titan chassis you want. They have the reason that all future map packs are free. I expect this to change now that EA has purchased Respawn.

For single player games, outfits used to be unlockable through game play or achievements. I don't see why a game like Shadow of Mordor needs shit when that game has no maintenance or long term support needed.
Old 11-22-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I'm torn. I picked up my copy and for whatever reason/error, I was upgraded to the Deluxe edition (no idea what's actually in that, but I assume it's better). Getting that for $28 after RZ Certificate is such a good deal it has me considering keeping this. I will play the Xbox EA Access trial some and think it over for a while...
Old 11-22-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

For now I'm keeping mine but it's been a total letdown since leading up to it all the trailers looked just awesome...and then came along those Evil Loot Crates....

That said you can look around at several games that don't use them and there's no issue. There's some that douse them but no in the way EA and others are doing it in games. At the same time there needs to be some type of reward system and the Loot Crate/Chest is the easiest way to do it.

In Warframe they don't use Loot Crates but everything is based on completion of a mission and what the reward choices are. It's gamble every time you run one and the tougher it is the better stuff to get. And no matter what you get it can be used, broke down or sold. You can outright buy characters and weapons but you still have to level up and equip with Mods. It's like plenty other games out there it's a grind and you can buy your way but....there are so many variables with other characters and weapons it wouldn't give anyone an advantage. Plus the base game is free and you could spend $20 or $200...
Old 11-28-17, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this and just had to shake my head not sure who I'm mad and upset at the most; players doing or EA for making a disastrous loot system or just both. I do remember this was used in some game before; just cannot remember which but ticked off a lot of people.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 players are ruining the game with rubber bands

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/24/1...economy-cheats
Old 11-28-17, 06:50 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I have that Target 20% coupon from last week, thinking about getting this. How is the play so far?

That rubber banding is a bummer.
Old 11-28-17, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

It's an obvious result when people don't want to grind, and play time is rewarded rather than kills or completion of objectives.
Old 11-28-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I saw this and just had to shake my head not sure who I'm mad and upset at the most; players doing or EA for making a disastrous loot system or just both. I do remember this was used in some game before; just cannot remember which but ticked off a lot of people.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 players are ruining the game with rubber bands

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/24/1...economy-cheats
This is freaking hilarious! It's inevitable though considering you can get some credits for doing house chores or pooping while I'm trying my best and getting, on average, 280 credits per match.
Old 11-28-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel like between this and Destiny 2, I've saved money by waiting and then not buying both. As opposed to last year when I was disappointed by adopting No Man's Land and Mass Effect Andromeda early.
Old 11-28-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a fun game... the MP is growing on me. It's a gorgeous game too. I finally unlocked Vader and Luke and now I plan to upgrade my Heavy infantry soldier to hopefully be more productive. I don't regret my purchase but I sure do wish EA hadn't gone down this path. I hope things get fixed for the next installment.
My 9 year old summed up the Battlefront series perfectly when he said "This game is better but Battlefront 1 was better. You know what I mean?"... I said "yep, I totally understand"
Old 11-28-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I feel like between this and Destiny 2, I've saved money by waiting and then not buying both. As opposed to last year when I was disappointed by adopting No Man's Land and Mass Effect Andromeda early.
Mass Effect Andromeda was this year
Old 11-28-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know...but I'm guessing these EA Elitists must be related in some way with those over at Bungie.....

Star Wars Battlefront II “One of the Best Games We’ve Ever Built;” EA Boasts High Player Retention
Electronic Arts Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen is proud of the quality of Star Wars Battlefront II, boasting high player retention.

https://www.dualshockers.com/star-wa...ame-retention/
Old 11-28-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-...me-uproar.html

While I think the stock drop is a bit overrated, there was a definite drop near release and there is a lot of disappointment not only over sales of the game but also on the microstrategy concept being under scrutiny here.
Old 11-28-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, I'm all about most things Star Wars, but I'll be passing on this until I see where it's going to end up. Meanwhile, this debacle ensures plenty of life left for the first Battlefront MP servers.
Old 11-29-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I've played through the single-player, one-starred all of the arcade challenges and probably put 12-15 hours into the multi-player. Overall, it's a decent, though flawed game that gets by on the fact that it's Star Wars. Some thoughts on the individual components:

Single player - Despite it feeling like a big deal was made of this being canon, I guess it was silly to expect any significant reveals. Still, given the time period of the story, I was hoping for some tidbits on the evolution of the Empire into the First Order. As it stands, it's an ok single-player experience. The gameplay is mostly solid, but I found myself fairly annoyed by invisible walls in the environment. I can't recall the last time I ran into so many that were so obvious and it felt really dated. Also, and this applies to all three modes, I think playing as a Jedi/Sith with a lightsaber should make me feel like a badass, but the controls for it just aren't great, at least not as a novice. Storywise, getting a handful of levels with known characters was fun. The new characters didn't do much for me. With Del, it at least felt like he turned from the Empire because he learned that he'd been lied to about the Jedi. With Iden, it felt like she understood the Empire was horrible but was fine with it until it was horrible to her people, which isn't much of a redemptive arc.

Arcade challenges - These are fine, but just kind of feel like cheap extras thrown together with existing assets to have something extra to do. They're not terribly fun, but they do seem to be helpful in getting the hang of some of the controls for multiplayer.

Multiplayer - I'm not much of a multi-player gamer, but I enjoy this as much as any I've tried in quite a while. A large portion of that is the settings & graphics. It's just fun to run around and do stuff in Star Wars settings. The levels/scenarios also seem really well balanced. As in, one team inevitably has the edge at the start, but as you progress, that advantage feels like it shifts to the other team. To me, it usually does a great job at making it feel like you've always got a shot, but are never assured a win. I'm not terribly good at multi-player and tend to play the objectives. With this game, that results in me usually being near the bottom of the pile when I'm on a bad team, but in the top half or third when I'm on a good one.

As for the loot crate crap, yeah, it's kind of bullshit, but I appreciate that they stripped the pay to play and made character unlocks cheaper. I've already unlocked all of the top level/most expensive characters and am working my way down to the cheaper ones. It's definitely a bit annoying how hard/random it seems to be in terms of getting the modifier cards to up your abilities, but that's my only real gripe with the model as it currently stands.

So yeah, overall, if you're a Star Wars fan, it's worth your time as long as you don't have crazy high expectations. The graphics are beautiful, the multi-player is balanced and I find myself thinking I'll jump in for a 10-minute match and then getting suck into a couple hours playing. I'd give it a 8/10 and it's kind of a shame EA shit the bed leading up to the launch.
Old 11-29-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On sale at Target starting Sunday for $39.99. That was fast
Old 11-29-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Still not cheap enough...
Old 11-29-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
All platforms?
Old 11-29-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Still not cheap enough...
It'll get there...
Old 11-29-17, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
That's $32, if you still have the 20% off coupon to use from Black Friday, which I do...
Old 12-04-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EA just released the following:

It's been a busy few weeks for Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II. We’re excited to have launched the game to the world, but recognize that there have been some challenges along the way. We have learned a lot, and are making adjustments to the game to ensure the best experience possible. On Tuesday, an update is rolling out that begins the Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II The Last Jedi Season by kicking off factional challenges, letting you choose a side and start competing for rewards as either The First Order or The Resistance.

Today, an update went live that includes some adjustments to the economy and progression. While these are only some initial steps toward making much larger changes, some of these are ready to roll, and are available starting today.

The end-of-round payout has been increased. This is an area we agree needed to be buffed a bit, especially when it comes to rewarding players for doing well in-game. We're upping the number of Credits you get for a match across the board, and specifically bumping the top players on each team by even more.

Earn 3X more Credits daily in Arcade Mode. It's been made clear that you were hitting the Arcade Mode Credit cap faster than we expected, so we wanted to alleviate that by increasing it to 1500 Credits. While we're still looking into ways to add more content into it the mode in the long-term, we think that this should help in the near-term for those who want rewards for completing the different scenarios.

Daily Login Crates will now provide more crafting parts than before. You'll notice the change right away when you log in. Crafting the Star Cards you want will help make sure you're progressing in the direction you want, and we absolutely wantto empower that. This should help you get where you want to go faster when it comes to crafting and upgrading.

Things kick into high gear over the next few weeks, during the Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II The Last Jedi Season, with free* heroes, maps, and vehicles. Stormtrooper-turned-hero Finn joins the fight for the Resistance and Captain Phasma steps on to the battlefront for the First Order. New locations and vehicles will also arrive: you can fight on the ground on the salt-covered planet of Crait in Galactic Assault mode, or take to space in the Starfighter Assault map of D'Qar (flying Tallie Lintra's RZ-2 A-wing, a vehicle you'll be seeing in the film).

And, of course, Iden Versio returns in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Resurrection during the days of the First Order’s rise to power. These new chapters of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II’s single-player story mode will be available December 13.

Thank you again for your passion around this game. Star Wars™ is special to all of us, and we all want to experience that world in fun, exciting ways. If you're already playing the game and are loving it, we want to thank you for taking the time to do so. We have a lot planned, and are excited to show you what’s to come.

*Requires Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II on applicable platform (sold separately), all game updates, internet connection, EA account, and, for console players, Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus membership (each sold separately).

Keep your eyes on EA Star Wars™ on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for much more of what’s coming to Star WarsBattlefront II or join the discussion on the official forums.
Sounds like a great start to me. Combined with the Target sale, I may pick this one up this week
Old 12-13-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They released a new patch last night which apparently fixed quite a few things. I picked this up during the Target sale and I've been having a blast with it.

Patch notes
Old 12-13-17, 07:00 AM

Between the Target sale, the 20% Black Friday coupon plus some gift cards, I got this for $12 and I'm enjoying it. Will figure out the star card thing... probably.

I'm on PS4, if anyone wants to play.
Old 12-13-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I play this for at least one round every night... It's a blast once you get the hang of playing the objective rather than just going for kills. I can't wait to see what the DLC will offer and I need to get thru the SP over break.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.