Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-14-17, 01:59 PM   #176
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Star Wars Battlefront II... it's happening, not that you ever doubted it

I'll be honest, I give no fucks about this "controversy". Should all the stuff be there? Sure. But I'm playing a fun game, in my favorite universe -- so I'm thrilled. It's $50... I've spent plenty more on far less in my time.
Old 11-14-17, 02:02 PM   #177
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'll be honest, I give no fucks about this "controversy". Should all the stuff be there? Sure. But I'm playing a fun game, in my favorite universe -- so I'm thrilled. It's $50... I've spent plenty more on far less in my time.
This. Will cost me under $30 with GCU and trade-in coupon. I am fine with that. I had fun with the first one and bet I'll enjoy messing with this as well.

Do I expect it to have Destiny 2 depth? No. But that's okay.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 11-14-17, 02:15 PM   #178
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah, the deluxe went live yesterday. Another attempt to money grab from EA; making people up-buy to play "early".
Between this game and Need for Speed last week, I'm beginning to think that process is starting to backfire on them

It gives people enough time to cancel their preorders.
Old 11-14-17, 03:10 PM   #179
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
This. Will cost me under $30 with GCU and trade-in coupon. I am fine with that. I had fun with the first one and bet I'll enjoy messing with this as well.

Do I expect it to have Destiny 2 depth? No. But that's okay.
I get that mentality, but with so many games out there why am I going to give my cash to support a company that is so blatantly hostile to their customer base?
Old 11-14-17, 03:19 PM   #180
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ I totally understand. Personally, it doesn't bother me because of the genre and the universe --- it's the game I've wanted since I was a little kid. I remember when Gamecube games were starting to go for $80 each. I thought for sure we'd be seeing $100 games by now (not including statues, content, etc)... I don't respect EA for what they're doing (and going to have to un-do) but at the end of the day, they're a publicly traded company who is trying to make money and blow up their stock. I doubt the devs put this into the game during the brain-storming phase. My guess is that some finance guys came along with a "great idea" to generate revenue but still appear neutral in the long term.
Old 11-14-17, 03:23 PM   #181
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
This more or less sums up my take on this at this point. Locking heroes behind this timesink is some mighty bullshit - no question about it - but honestly, I'd buy this game anyway even if it had no playable heroes in it at all. A gorgeous multiplayer FPS set in the Star Wars universe is a guaranteed purchase in this house.

And, like others, I feel like once I apply my GCU, the price is just about right for what I'm getting.

But man I am really looking forward to the AMA tomorrow, although I feel like it's going to be mostly PR speak copied and pasted into most replies.
Old 11-14-17, 03:57 PM   #182
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

Are you guys multiplayer gamers? How do you feel about some of the pay to win aspects? Some of these star cards give pretty important stat bonuses, and you most likely won't have anywhere near the power level as someone who is dropping cash on loot boxes. Won't you feel at a constant disadvantage?
Old 11-14-17, 04:07 PM   #183
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Are you guys multiplayer gamers? How do you feel about some of the pay to win aspects? Some of these star cards give pretty important stat bonuses, and you most likely won't have anywhere near the power level as someone who is dropping cash on loot boxes. Won't you feel at a constant disadvantage?
I love MP and I suck at MP... so I'll probably never notice lol. There are for more egregious issues with this game still --- like spawn points.
Old 11-14-17, 04:23 PM   #184
nmr1723

A couple of things...

The daily credit limit is for offline arcade only. There is no limit for multi-player credits. You can play all damn day on MP and you will not be hit with a limit. I see two sides to this. One, it sucks that offline players can't earn credits playing the parts of the game they enjoy the most. On the other hand, it prevents players from gaining tons of credits killing easy AI bots. I think the limit would make more sense if there wasn't the douchey backdrop of the loot crates. When you add those in, EA just looks bad.

I bought the deluxe game for my son and me and it's a ton of fun so far. Way more involved than SWBF1 and it's taking some getting used to. Like Rob V, I'm in it for the genre and for Star Wars. I won't buy a damn loot crate...ever. I've paid my $50 (after Amazon digital credits) and that's all I'm sinking into this game. My son cannot wait to play when he gets home from school (any minute now).

Saying all of this, what EA is doing really does suck. The last progression system needed to be tweaked, but not a complete overhaul introducing pay to play.
Old 11-14-17, 04:42 PM   #185
stingermck
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I love MP and I suck at MP as well. I'm going to get my ass kicked regardless if there are l00ts, cards, nukes ot whatever.

The controversy sucks but I love star wars and battlefront. I won't be spending any extra money either.

What I get is what I get. I play mobile star wars as well so I know all about this pay to win.
Old 11-14-17, 04:51 PM   #186
ManfromCyrodiil

Did I read correctly that the campaign is only 4 hrs long? That is ridiculous if thats the case. Way to short of a game but I assume most are buying got MP anyway
Old 11-14-17, 05:00 PM   #187
nmr1723

I also suck at MP but absolutely love it. I'm ecstatic if I'm batting .500 or better.

Someone on Reddit linked to a video where a dude tested out purchasing loot crates. According to
, the affect is much greater for starfighters than it is for infantry troops. This is a plus for me as I rarely play any of the starfighter games. My favorite part is being a grunt in the war machine and I'm not at all into playing as a hero or vehicle.

I've heard the campaign is about 5 hours. I have not started it yet, but plan to soon.
Old 11-14-17, 05:05 PM   #188
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be on tonight...had to let that massive 8gb update get going....

I too am a lackluster MP but with the size and all I figure about everyone stands a chance. Beats the crap out of the 4vs4 in Destiny now. Ans I wanted a single player campaign...and they've already got another addition to it coming so I wouldn't worry too much about length here. And I'm sure EA will come out with more SP and MP stuff later down the road.

...and I'm not getting into all this Buy, Buy, Buy Loot Crate crap...Every game has these in some form or another and theres always going to be that "I'm willing to spend $$$ no matter what" crowd. I'd rather have people buying their way than cheating their way anyday of the week. And I'm a sucker for the Star Wars universe anyway not to mention throwing DICE in the mix you're probably going to have some fantastic visuals.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 11-14-17, 05:40 PM   #189
ManfromCyrodiil

Just saw on YouTube someone streamed the whole campaign and it came in at 4:12:52. Seems a little short. With me being almost done on COD WWII (PS4 Pro) and pretty deep into AC a origins (Xbox one x) I think Ill hold off until its cheaper
Old 11-14-17, 05:59 PM   #190
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
Just saw on YouTube someone streamed the whole campaign and it came in at 4:12:52. Seems a little short. With me being almost done on COD WWII (PS4 Pro) and pretty deep into AC a origins (Xbox one x) I think Ill hold off until its cheaper
Yeah, almost every review said that if you're primarily interested in the campaign and not really planning on playing the multi-player, to not bother with the game at all, at least not at full price.
Old 11-14-17, 06:12 PM   #191
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, almost every review said that if you're primarily interested in the campaign and not really planning on playing the multi-player, to not bother with the game at all, at least not at full price.
The campaign also ends of a cliffhanger and will be finished up with later DLC.
Old 11-14-17, 06:16 PM   #192
Draven
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
...and I'm not getting into all this Buy, Buy, Buy Loot Crate crap...Every game has these in some form or another and theres always going to be that "I'm willing to spend $$$ no matter what" crowd. I'd rather have people buying their way than cheating their way anyday of the week. And I'm a sucker for the Star Wars universe anyway not to mention throwing DICE in the mix you're probably going to have some fantastic visuals.
I think most people are okay with loot crates that are purely cosmetic. But when you "pay to win" by getting better upgrades to compete against someone who just wants to play the game as is, that's less fun.

I always thought WoW did that well. Aside from everyone paying every month, of course. Like there were some SWEET mounts that you could purchase but they ran just as fast as the one I found through only playing the game.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 11-14-17, 06:27 PM   #193
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
The campaign also ends of a cliffhanger and will be finished up with later DLC.
Wow. Did not know that.
Definitely waiting on a "complete" package, and even that at a lowered price.
Fucking money-grubbing shitstains.
Old 11-14-17, 07:44 PM   #194
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't they say all future DLC content was free? I thought that was the one thing they got right...
Old 11-14-17, 08:07 PM   #195
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

pew pew pew
Old 11-14-17, 08:37 PM   #196
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Didn't they say all future DLC content was free? I thought that was the one thing they got right...
Yeah, I guess it is. That is very nice after getting a half-game two years ago.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3.../1100-6450706/

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 11-14-17, 11:04 PM   #197
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
afuckingmen! don't give a shit what the controversy is or how much something costs. it's all MP, i am sure. can't wait till Friday (or whenever i have a chance to play)...
Old 11-15-17, 12:27 AM   #198
musick
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post

I too am a lackluster MP but with the size and all I figure about everyone stands a chance. Beats the crap out of the 4vs4 in Destiny now.
hey look, it's a buzz post comparing everything and anything to Destiny .... shocking

anyhow, despite a pretty coat of SW paint on its shell from all I've seen this looks like just another basic twitch shooter with a short TTK, at least they have large maps to give the impression you are actually involved in the game since it takes longer to engage enemies... no thanks
Old 11-15-17, 01:19 AM   #199
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
afuckingmen! don't give a shit what the controversy is or how much something costs. it's all MP, i am sure. can't wait till Friday (or whenever i have a chance to play)...
Yes, because it's a multiplayer game, and a 4 hour campaign doesn't matter much, as...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Old 11-15-17, 02:39 AM   #200
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
must be nice...
Sponsored Links