Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-10-17, 09:28 PM   #101
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Re: Star Wars Battlefront II... it's happening, not that you ever doubted it

is this trial limited? i just logged on and it said i have 10 hours left to play. i downloaded it last night, like 50 or so Gbs. i won't play it now. will it just disappear?
Old 11-10-17, 10:03 PM   #102
DVDChris
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
is this trial limited? i just logged on and it said i have 10 hours left to play. i downloaded it last night, like 50 or so Gbs. i won't play it now. will it just disappear?
10 hours of game time, whether you play now or in a month from now. Just donít leave the game on accidentally.
Old 11-10-17, 10:57 PM   #103
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Ah. Thanks. May try tomorrow...
Old 11-11-17, 01:37 AM   #104
Maxflier
DVD Talk Legend

I have the coupon and want to get the $10 preorder cert as well, but the store here doesnt have that kiosk thing anymore nor do I see any cards to take to the register to do a pre order.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
167 days 17 hours 50 minutes
Old 11-11-17, 01:43 AM   #105
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Preorder + GCU + $10 coupon with Trade in of Battlefront I = game for $28 + tax. Won't be better price than that for six months I'd bet.
Can I preorder and trade in Battlefront I and get a good price if I'm not a GCU member? This is at Best Buy?
Old 11-11-17, 01:58 AM   #106
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Can I preorder and trade in Battlefront I and get a good price if I'm not a GCU member? This is at Best Buy?
You would still get a $10 coupon and a $10 RZ certificate after picking up the order. So $40 (and about a buck for the trade in) for the game with BF1 trade in preorder if not GCU member.
Old 11-11-17, 08:18 AM   #107
Bandit03
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you guys been reading up on how the pay to win scenario is playing out? Thereís still a pay to win loot crate system in place but apparently the grind (if you donít pay) is massive. Hereís a reddit thread where theyíre trying to dissect everything
https://reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlef...o_spreadsheet/
Old 11-11-17, 12:40 PM   #108
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Receive a $10 coupon to use toward the purchase of Star Wars Battlefront II when you trade in Star Wars Battlefront or another select first-person shooter game for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Plus, you'll get a Best Buy gift card worth the trade-in value of your game.

Offer valid in store only. Trade in any PS4 or Xbox One versions of Star Wars Battlefront and get a $10 coupon toward Star Wars Battlefront II plus a gift card for the trade-in value. Other FPS games qualify for the offer such as the XBX1 and PS4 versions of the Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, Overwatch, Halo, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Titanfall, Mass Effect, Evolve, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Division, Killzone, Battleborn and Far Cry series plus others. Trade-in values vary. Coupon valid in stores only through 11/22/17. Coupons delivered on trade-ins from 10/29/17Ė11/13/17. Trade-in payment is by Best Buy gift card. Not combinable with any other offer. Not available in all locations. Participating stores may have additional requirements. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or limit quantities. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. See an Associate or www.BestBuy.com/TradeIn for details
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can trade in a copy of any of those FPS games (such as Titanfall 2) to receive the same discount as if I traded in BF1?

If I don't count the $10 preorder bonus, it'd break down something like this:

GCU 20% + $10 + Trade in Value for Game (~$6 for TF2) = ~$30 for game?
Old 11-11-17, 12:47 PM   #109
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah $34 if you can get that much for TF2. I got a buck for Battlefront. And you should count the preorder $10 certificate since the coupon deal is only valid if you do the trade in before the game's release.
And actually the way they do it is 20% off of ($60-$10) $50 = $40 rather than 20% off of $60, then - 10 = $38. So it would be $40 and then subtract whatever the trade in value is.

Last edited by Decker; 11-11-17 at 12:53 PM..
Old 11-11-17, 01:17 PM   #110
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah $34 if you can get that much for TF2. I got a buck for Battlefront. And you should count the preorder $10 certificate since the coupon deal is only valid if you do the trade in before the game's release.
And actually the way they do it is 20% off of ($60-$10) $50 = $40 rather than 20% off of $60, then - 10 = $38. So it would be $40 and then subtract whatever the trade in value is.
I looked up trade value of TF2 and it's like $6.02 or something like that, which isn't too bad since I just bought it for $12 from BB last week. And I never like to count that 10 preorder certificate since I can't use it right then and there. It's not real money at that point, so I pretend it doesn't exist until the points show up in my account.

Either way it's a pretty good deal for this game. I'm really looking forward to playing it, but if it turns out that I bounce off of it within a couple weeks, I won't feel too bad about it for that price.
Old 11-11-17, 05:41 PM   #111
DVDChris
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI the trial is multiplayer only. Had a lot of lag today, but might be my connection.
Old 11-11-17, 08:15 PM   #112
DVDChris
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nevermind, the campaign was greyed out earlier, but now I can select it.
Old 11-11-17, 09:19 PM   #113
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Traded in battlefront 1 for a buck and change, got the coupon, and nobody there could figure out how to preorder the game. Since it's in store only, I can't just order it myself.
Old 11-12-17, 05:18 PM   #114
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit03 View Post
Have you guys been reading up on how the pay to win scenario is playing out? Thereís still a pay to win loot crate system in place but apparently the grind (if you donít pay) is massive. Hereís a reddit thread where theyíre trying to dissect everything
https://reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlef...o_spreadsheet/
I just got around to reading this and, if it's accurate, I may pass on this one for now. The system they had for unlocking heroes in the beta was just fine.
Old 11-12-17, 06:15 PM   #115
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

played the SP. so much fun to be in that world, with those sound effects and music and Endor looked so lush and gorgeous. first time i ever played a FPS Star Wars game.

so i assume this was a full game download for the trial since it was over 50Gb and the first few levels i played.

when the game is finally released and since i bought, will i lose my progress in the SP?
Old 11-12-17, 07:32 PM   #116
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Traded in battlefront 1 for a buck and change, got the coupon, and nobody there could figure out how to preorder the game. Since it's in store only, I can't just order it myself.
There are cards in video game section with the game picture. Take card, pay $5 or more at register and you are pre-ordered.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 11-12-17, 09:57 PM   #117
Bandit03
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I just got around to reading this and, if it's accurate, I may pass on this one for now. The system they had for unlocking heroes in the beta was just fine.
I went ahead and cancelled my preorder to see how this plays out after release day. Damn shame because other than the progress system, Iím hearing great things about the game.
Old 11-12-17, 10:01 PM   #118
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There are cards in video game section with the game picture. Take card, pay $5 or more at register and you are pre-ordered.
That's the thing, they couldn't locate any of the cards. I guess I'll try to go to a different Best Buy tomorrow since this one didn't really fill me with confidence. Do you use the coupon when you pick up the game and have to pay the balance?
Old 11-12-17, 11:09 PM   #119
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That's the thing, they couldn't locate any of the cards. I guess I'll try to go to a different Best Buy tomorrow since this one didn't really fill me with confidence. Do you use the coupon when you pick up the game and have to pay the balance?
Yes. You use the coupon when you pick up game and pay remaining balance.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 11-13-17, 01:33 AM   #120
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I went ahead and cancelled my preorder to see how this plays out after release day. Damn shame because other than the progress system, Iím hearing great things about the game.
Yup, word is it's an otherwise excellent game. I can't honestly think that they won't reevaluate this before the game releases wide on Friday. Probably wishful thinking, though.

Not like they'd do it because it's the right thing to do, but for PR alone. This is not a good look, even for EA. I expect this to be a pretty big topic for most podcasts this week, and just about every preview, hands-on, and review will mention this nonsense, and maybe deduct points from their review scores. DICE, if they have incentive tied to Metacritic, wouldn't be too happy about that at any rate.

Whatever, though. I was really looking forward to this one.

I'll probably still get it because I'm a Star Wars whore and I have no backbone and don't stand up for my convictions. But I won't enjoy it.

Yes I will.
Old 11-13-17, 02:36 AM   #121
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

So the developers responded on a reddit post about how much it costs to unlock Vader. It is, by far, the most downvoted post in reddit history. I know most of us are too old to understand reddit but wow, it's at -89.2k

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBat...ho&sh=aaf140a6

Quote:
The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.
As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.
We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.
Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.
Pride and accomplishment from spending money to unlock stuff. That's some spin.

Edited to add: this morning it's at -279,000. I know at this point people are just piling on since it's the most downvotes ever but wow.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-13-17 at 09:46 AM..
Old 11-13-17, 07:06 AM   #122
candyrocket786
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This does not give me much hope for Titanfall 3. Shit!

Michael Bay is the "New George Lucas"

PS3/360 GT: DVDVampire
Old 11-13-17, 07:22 AM   #123
Deftones
DVD Talk God

That kind of sucks. This is a gift for my 8 year old son so it doesn't bother me too much. But it is kind of crappy he won't be able to get 2 of the more known characters since he isn't grinding and isn't paying.

Old 11-13-17, 08:17 AM   #124
Bandit03
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Whatever, though. I was really looking forward to this one.

I'll probably still get it because I'm a Star Wars whore and I have no backbone and don't stand up for my convictions. But I won't enjoy it.

Yes I will.

I'm wouldn't be surprised if they make some changes before release this Friday. Question is will they be enough? I can live with the loot crates; I just won't buy them, it's as easy as that. But I cant live with the most iconic heroes being so expensive, that you're forced to buy loot crates just to play as them.

Why not have the heroes much cheaper and have extra skins be the premium items? Imagine a battle damaged Vader skin or a Maul with robotic legs or something to that effect. Something very similar to Overwatch.
Old 11-13-17, 09:21 AM   #125
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I'm wouldn't be surprised if they make some changes before release this Friday. Question is will they be enough? I can live with the loot crates; I just won't buy them, it's as easy as that. But I cant live with the most iconic heroes being so expensive, that you're forced to buy loot crates just to play as them.

Why not have the heroes much cheaper and have extra skins be the premium items? Imagine a battle damaged Vader skin or a Maul with robotic legs or something to that effect. Something very similar to Overwatch.
$$$

I have no doubt they will make it easier to get once the whales buy their exclusive access for a few months or whatever and they can introduce more paid characters. This is like the epitome of F2P mechanics, except it's not free to play.
Sponsored Links