DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/638864-marvels-avengers-9-4-2020-xb1-pc-ps4-stadia.html)

fujishig 06-12-19 10:43 AM

re: Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia)

The problem is that it's going for a more realistic style that is obviously going to be compared to the MCU whether they mean to do it or not. Take something like Marvel Future Fight, they integrate all the movie costumes in it but the likenesses are way off, and nobody cares because the style is way more cartoony.

This is like Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite going for a more realistic style and blowing it, except they went even further. We'll see what the final product looks like.

robin2099 06-12-19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13564091)
Once again no one is complaining about them taking the appearance of the characters and redesigning them. They are complaining that they look like shit.

And yet again, does that have any effect on the gameplay or how the game plays? It was a mainly cinematic trailer on a game that is still a year away. People need to calm down.

Groucho 06-12-19 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13563922)
I heard that rumor this morning, which people are basing it on Parker's comment in the Spider-Man game that the Avengers are now in the West Coast, and now this game comes out with the Avengers celebrating A-Day in the west coast, but, isn't the Spider-Man PS4 game done by Insomniac Games and this Avengers one done by Squarenix?

This is part of a larger strategy by Marvel to create a new video game universe similar to MCU where different dev houses will be building the various games, but they all take place in the same continuity (Earth-1048).

fujishig 06-12-19 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13564132)
And yet again, does that have any effect on the gameplay or how the game plays? It was a mainly cinematic trailer on a game that is still a year away. People need to calm down.

I'm pretty sure the cinematic trailer is supposed to entice people to play the game. The fact that it's doing the exact opposite is notable and worth discussing. Nobody is saying "there's no way I'm going to play this trash game" just commenting on what it looks like, which is really all we have right now.

Red Hood 06-12-19 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13564132)

Character design is part of a game appeal. People like the Spider-Man game for the game play but also because the character design resembled the comic book counterparts. The Avengers in this game don't like any counterpart that we know (MCU, Comics, TV shows) and they look like shit. That's why people are comparing the design to Great Value brand and bootleg toys like

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...c9e8c4f1ac.jpg

Red Hood 06-12-19 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13564135)
This is part of a larger strategy by Marvel to create a new video game universe similar to MCU where different dev houses will be building the various games, but they all take place in the same continuity (Earth-1048).

That's cool, but I wonder what type of deals these videogame companies have to be able to put a game together without infighting.

Sonny Corinthos 06-12-19 08:47 PM

I can understand moneywise, why they don't look like the actors from the films. But why not have them look as they do in the comic books they appear or appeared in?

OldBoy 06-12-19 09:26 PM

it looked like a pretty good superhero game with ok designs, impression voice acting except for Thor, which they went full Viking on, but i dig the action, look and love the superheros. Except for the PS4 SM, there really haven't been many if any real good superhero games. hopes this bucks the trend.

Obi-Wanma 06-13-19 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13564540)
it looked like a pretty good superhero game with ok designs, impression voice acting except for Thor, which they went full Viking on, but i dig the action, look and love the superheros. Except for the PS4 SM, there really haven't been many if any real good supergero games. hopes this bucks the trend.

The Batman Arkham series (which Spider-man borrows heavily from) would like a word with you.

OldBoy 06-13-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13564699)
The Batman Arkham series (which Spider-man borrows heavily from) would like a word with you.

yeah, those were good, but i guess i meant a regular Marvel game...

mattysemo247 06-13-19 09:50 PM

Like Marvel's Spider-Man. It litterly has Marvel in the title...

Sonny Corinthos 06-14-19 06:35 AM

The makers of the game are not going to change the design of the Avengers. I guess we can either get used to them or not buy the game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06...cklash-e3-2019

Red Hood 06-17-19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13565223)
The makers of the game are not going to change the design of the Avengers. I guess we can either get used to them or not buy the game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06...cklash-e3-2019

This is a ballsy statement. The only complaint/feedback that gamers can give right now is how the game looks based on the trailer as no one has been able to play a demo yet. If the biggest complain is the design, which looks like shit because is not either MCU, TV, cartoon or comic book related, why the hell are they standing their ground on this? It's similar as how people received the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer. The main character looked like shit, people spoke and the developers are going back to the drawing board. It's one thing to create a different style/look, but like I've said before, these designs look like cheap knockoff toys and Black Widow looks like a man. That should be enough to re-design them

Obi-Wanma 06-17-19 06:43 PM

Well, on one hand they say they're not going to change anything, but in the next breath they say:

“The trailer is showing pre-alpha gameplay footage, which means the level of detail and overall polish of the character models will absolutely continue to improve as we get closer to launch,” Escayg explained.
So I guess that leaves them some degree of wiggle room and gives us some reason to hope that it could improve.

slop101 06-18-19 12:45 AM

Issue isn't even just the character models themselves, it's that the outfits/costumes look so much like the ones in the movies, that here, they look like bad actor stand-ins, so it looks silly. They should change the costumes so they look less like the movie (and yes, change the characters faces a little), and they won't conflict with each as much.

Sonny Corinthos 06-26-19 06:35 AM

Here's an article from Gameinformer that has a few new details about the game.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06...rvel-interview

Red Hood 08-20-19 07:25 PM

Gameplay footage was released today and it looks really similar to the Spider-Man video game. Thor, Tony and Black Widow still look like Great Value generic models but everyone else seems okay. Hulk/Banner kinda resembles to Ed Norton. Other than that, it looks interesting

OldBoy 08-20-19 07:51 PM

Could be cool. Hate the voice actors, but we’ll see. When is it supposed to come out?

Red Hood 08-20-19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13595836)
Could be cool. Hate the voice actors, but we’ll see. When is it supposed to come out?

May 15, 2020

Adam Tyner 01-14-20 08:12 AM

Re: Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia)

Delayed to September 4th.

lopper 07-23-20 12:36 PM

Is it possible for there to be less than zero hype for a game, especially one of this size that’s coming out in just over a month? I feel like we’d be hearing more buzz about any other AAA game this close to release. Maybe it’s out there but is getting lost in the new console announcement shuffle, or they’re just holding off until all those announcements are out of the way.

Still seems unusually quiet.

I’m still looking forward to this one though.

Rob V 07-23-20 03:13 PM

I'm looking forward to this but having the characters "off" from the movies is just kinda weird to me. It doesn't come across as AAA... more like AA.

The Questyen 07-23-20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13777324)
Is it possible for there to be less than zero hype for a game, especially one of this size that’s coming out in just over a month? I feel like we’d be hearing more buzz about any other AAA game this close to release. Maybe it’s out there but is getting lost in the new console announcement shuffle, or they’re just holding off until all those announcements are out of the way.

Still seems unusually quiet.

I’m still looking forward to this one though.

Definitely zero hype. I'll wait on reviews before picking it up.

Adam Tyner 07-23-20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13777324)
Is it possible for there to be less than zero hype for a game, especially one of this size that’s coming out in just over a month?

I have it preordered for now -- doesn't hurt that Best Buy is giving $10 back in rewards and throwing in a steelbook -- but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. My expectations are pretty low. But at the same time, there's nothing else in September that's really grabbing my attention, and I can't really say no to a big Marvel game even if it looks mediocre, so...whatever.

lopper 07-30-20 08:06 PM

I don't know...the game doesn't look bad necessarily, but I'm wondering if they'll be able to live up to their own hype, or are we looking at another Anthem: over-promising but under-delivering.