Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Old 06-02-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

You could also earn clothes that would have given you cold resistance.
in the starting area? i need to go back and find those!

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what to do.
I just got the camera ability and had the old lady mark the 4 towns/temples? on my map. I cant seem to get to them since there are monsters that one-shot me.
I tried a couple shrines but they were combat trials where i had to fight robots and all my weapons would break before i was able to do enough damage to kill them.
I feel like i'm in the wrong zone or something
Old 06-02-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember having no idea what to do early on too, I basically just kept exploring and trying to unlock portions of the map. Following the main roads is useful since that's where you'll encounter most of the towns and stables, with easier shrines next to them. I also had to skip the early "Test of Strength" shrines since I would just get destroyed.

The lack of direction is both good and bad, I feel more comfortable with it far along in the game but it was rough for me in the early parts of the game. It's weird finding armor with different resistances now that I probably should have had way, way earlier.
Old 06-02-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Find different shrines and talk to people, collect anything that resembles a weapon, etc; The game is brutally abstract at the start, but traditionally, Zelda always has been about exploration, and honestly, in retrospect, it's one of the games biggest assets. When I started out, I just aimed to open up the map by finding the different towers -- then you can mark some Shrines from up there.

I believe you can go and try to fight the final boss right now if you're so inclined, but it's about 5 times more difficult. There's just something kind of neat about that to me.
Old 06-02-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Goddammit I wish I could play this game again for the first time.
Old 06-02-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja

I just got the camera ability and had the old lady mark the 4 towns/temples? on my map. I cant seem to get to them since there are monsters that one-shot me.
I tried a couple shrines but they were combat trials where i had to fight robots and all my weapons would break before i was able to do enough damage to kill them.
Yep, There are a couple of ways to earn the level one cold tunic

Spoiler:
1. Find the old mans house and make him some spicy fish dish, 2. get to the shrine in the cold area and the old man will give you the tunic, or 3. Find it in a chest in the old mans house if you don't do either of the 1st two
Old 06-05-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold

Spoiler:
1. Find the old mans house and make him some spicy fish dish, 2. get to the shrine in the cold area and the old man will give you the tunic, or 3. Find it in a chest in the old mans house if you don't do either of the 1st two
I did not know about numbers 2 and 3. What's funny is out of all my friends I was the only one to get the tunic using method 1.

The rest of them just used food/elixirs to finish the tutorial area.
Old 06-05-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja

The hardest part of adjusting to this game is that you really have to learn that not every fight is worth it. Sometimes it's just better to stay away from battles. Also remember battles can be approached in multiple ways. Look for boobytraps that have been set up by Nintendo to help you take out hoards of enemies. Don't just run in blindly swinging your sword because, and this is especially true early on when you have barely any hearts, you are going to get crushed.

I focused on finding shrines with puzzles. In the beginning, if you find a combat shrine that's anything other than a Minor Test of Strength, turn your ass around and come back to it later. Just enjoy exploring. I did head quickly to Kakariko and Hateno villages, and used the quests I found there to start exploring, but I would quickly branch off to anything interesting I found along the way. There's no correct way to tackle this game. You'll figure it out.
Old 06-05-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks everyone. I'll have to head back to Kakariko and Hateno and talk to more people. Also, i'm going to start trying to hit some towers to unlock portions of the map and find shrines
Old 06-08-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats the secret to killing those electrical magic guys that float/teleport around? I was only able to get one down half way and that was with using all my fire arrows. Once they get in close, they kill me with the electrical bat thing
Old 06-08-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shock resistance helps, either in a potion or rubber armor. Otherwise I always just brute forced them.
Old 06-09-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you hit them with melee weapons or only arrows/bombs?

I finally got up a tower to unlock part of a map. It was nerve wracking climbing up the tower while lazers were being aimed at me, haha.
Old 06-09-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those guys should occasionally float close enough to you to melee them. But like RichC2, I usually just brute force attacked them with arrows until they got close. I had to just avoid them a lot early on.
Old 06-13-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h1GakpHZFpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

June 30th for the first DLC.
Old 07-08-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Finally started this game, probably 6 hours in. First, the good... first console Zelda game I've enjoyed since Wind Waker. Unfortunately the following is starting to kill my enjoyment:

• Difficulty - I don't recall the last game that kicked my ass so badly. I'm dying all the fucking time and quite frankly, it's getting kind of old. I'm only up to four hearts, and unlocked two towers/areas and done a handful of shrines. Every battle is life or death which is absurd this early on. I'm no stranger to difficult games, but Zelda has always been a franshise that erred more on the side of 'fun.' Dying all the time in Zelda isn't fun.

• Breakable items - What the fuck. Just give me the Master Sword and shield and let me kick some ass. I'm the legendary Link but I have to fight with a rakes, hoes and bats enemies drop? Gimmie a break. I never thought I'd play a Zelda that punishes you for using a sword or actively beckoning you to avoid fights. The map is huge and already pretty barren, so when I finally get to fight someone, I'd kinda like to do so.

• Items - I'm also routinely carrying 0 arrows. I pick them up when I can, but they do so little damage that any battle I choose to use them wipes my meager supply.

• Rupees - Where the fuck are they? In six hours I've found 1...that's right ONE, green rupee. I sold something to get some, but shouldn't enemies be dropping them?
  • Stamina - So, so annoying.

Originally Posted by Me007gold

Spoiler:
I got it from the old man by climbing to the top of the highest peak in the cold section.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-08-17 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The game gets easier as you go, though I don't remember it being particularly hard minus a few instadeaths from electricity early on.

But then again fighting wasn't a big deal to me, was kind of nice just riding the horse around.

And the rupees are in the same place as always, pots and boxes
Old 07-10-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you're dying a lot, you may want to try a different area. I was getting frustrated then tried a couple different areas and had a much easier time.
Old 07-10-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the game's been pretty difficult, but since there's no guidance a lot of it is luck on the area you explore. Although even later on, I die a lot.
Old 07-10-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I focused solely on shrines yesterday and am up to 6 hearts, so now that difficulty is alleviated a bit.
I broke out a pen & paper to solve the twin peaks shrines. That was fun. Ventured into one that required the gamepad/motion. That was dumb.

Breakable items still blow. Finding a few rupees here and there, nothing like previous games. Sold a bunch of shit to break 2,000. Trying for 3,000 to buy my own pad.

I like climbing, so I haven't used my horse much. He likes running into walls anyway.

Right now I'm hanging around Haterno Village catching crickets anon other things. I did the 10. Does he really give you a reward if you catch all 100, because that sub-quest doesn't show up in the Slate mission list.
Old 07-10-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ventured into one that required the gamepad/motion. That was dumb.
I think they're genius.
You just need to think outside the box:

Old 07-10-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was kind of indifferent to them, but it wasn't too tough with the pro controller.

The thing I focused on the most when I started was getting all the towers / map opened up.
Old 07-10-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The thing I focused on the most when I started was getting all the towers / map opened up.
Maybe that's what I need to focus on as well. I'm having some of the same problems as Corvin. Although the use of Amiibos have helped with the weapons breaking. I'm always stocked on items using those things.

Right now I'm on the mission where you have to go to four separate objectives across the map. And it seems like it's taking forever since I'm stopping to do shrines in between.
Old 07-10-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Maybe that's what I need to focus on as well. I'm having some of the same problems as Corvin. Although the use of Amiibos have helped with the weapons breaking. I'm always stocked on items using those things.

Right now I'm on the mission where you have to go to four separate objectives across the map. And it seems like it's taking forever since I'm stopping to do shrines in between.
If you're talking about the Divine Beasts, I mean, that legitimately is the main mission of the game -- completing shrines and side quests to power up and get to them is a big part of it.
Old 07-10-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, basically, the powers you get for beating Divine Beasts grant you powers to better help with the game; one helps you with exploration, one helps you with fighting, etc.
Old 07-10-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah. Mipha's Grace was the first one I got, thing is literally a life saver and helped out a lot progressing through the game.
Because I'm dumb, it took me a long while to realize that it recharged. I'd get to a point where it'd trigger, and then I'd immediately reload a save, thinking I'd just lost something incredibly valuable.
Old 07-10-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Because I'm dumb, it took me a long while to realize that it recharged. I'd get to a point where it'd trigger, and then I'd immediately reload a save, thinking I'd just lost something incredibly valuable.
I did the exact same thing. There's something to be said about not explaining anything to the player, but a heads up would have been nice in that case

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.