Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Yeah. I'm realistic enough to still be glad the game made it out on the U, but active stripping of features really sucks.

Considering the story of the console is that they never made proper use of the Pad, it's like one final slap in the face that this final epic wasn't even allowed to do it.
Old 03-07-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
That really bums me out.

Map aside, it would've been so sweet to have my inventory on the touch-screen, and just touch the weapon I want when the one I'm using breaks, especially the way they break so quickly.
Any chance modders add the inventory touchscreen feature back in? It seems pretty easy to add back in.
Old 03-08-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bee A.I. Is crazy. There was a small enclosure with a chest and a bee hive. Rather than risk getting stung to death, I got a little creative. Lit my torch, approached the enclosure, and fanned the flames . The smoke killed the bees!

It's also fun to knock down a hive with your bow and arrow at an enemy camp. Sit back and watch them get stung by dozens of bees
Old 03-08-17, 04:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild has the record for the most perfect scores on Metacritic:

Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Breaks Record For Having The Most Perfect Scores On Metacritic
Old 03-09-17, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll say it again.. nobody expected to be let down by a Zelda title, but this is just fantastic. I'm getting flashbacks to when Ocarina was released.

I'm about to start the game tonight. I just hope this time I can enjoy the experience alongside everyone else. I'm the one person out there who just didn't see the magic in Ocarina :/.
Old 03-09-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive about 15 hours in so far, and I must say I am really love this game. Controls took some time getting use to. I keep trying to throw my weapon when I want to pull out my bow. I also really hate the rain. It rains way too much, and when it does to rains for way to long.
Old 03-09-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I probably missed it in the tutorial somewhere, but it took a while for me to realize you can press b to cancel your drawn bow so you don't shoot an arrow. I had been cancelling out by using magic.

Also are there no persistent weapons in the game, is everything destroyed after a while? Using the amiibos and their loot feels a little too much like cheating, but I paid for that physical DLC, darnit!
Old 03-09-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also are there no persistent weapons in the game, is everything destroyed after a while?
There's at least one -- and you can probably guess what it is! -- although it has its own limitations to compensate.
Old 03-10-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Just curious to know, this game is getting stellar scores in reviews, but it is overhyped? I ask because I played the last couple of Zelda games and was not particularly impressed. This one looks good, but trying to see much different that I haven't seen before.
Old 03-10-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
Just curious to know, this game is getting stellar scores in reviews, but it is overhyped? I ask because I played the last couple of Zelda games and was not particularly impressed. This one looks good, but trying to see much different that I haven't seen before.
I never cared for Zelda games (except Wind Waker) and am loving Breath. Turning it into a truly open world game was the best thing they've done for this game.
Old 03-10-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
It crushes the last two (Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword) like fucking grapes.
I struggled getting through those, almost forcing myself to play, whereas with this one, I'm itching to get back to.
Those had bland/boring worlds with some interesting dungeons. This one has an amazing open world, one of the best I've seen, and very little "fat" like those games - and the "fat" it does have is largely optional.

It really is like Zelda meets Elder Scrolls.
Old 03-12-17, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "Watch Out For The Flowers " Side Quest is the funniest side quest I've ever played
Old 03-12-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This fuckin' game, right?

Old 03-12-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think this might be the greatest game I've ever played.
I want to quit my job, and play this all day.
Old 03-12-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

My daughter just scanned
Spoiler:
Epona
on her save off of the amiibo, first time scan. I've been doing it for days (without save scumming) and nothing but items.

Apparently that amiibo, which has been plentiful before, has been jacked up in price recently because of that.
Old 03-12-17, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm done with Zelda for the evening. One of the shrines had this stupid puzzle that required to use the gamepad gyroscope. It took me half hour I finally solve it and the controller starts going bonkers. I have no control over link and he keeps jumping over the ledge suicides multiple times causing my game over! Now I have to do the fucking thing all over again and hope the Tablet doesn't screw up again ! FUCK MOTION CONTROLS!
Old 03-12-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think I'm done with Zelda for the evening. One of the shrines had this stupid puzzle that required to use the gamepad gyroscope. It took me half hour I finally solve it and the controller starts going bonkers. I have no control over link and he keeps jumping over the ledge suicides multiple times causing my game over! Now I have to do the fucking thing all over again and hope the Tablet doesn't screw up again ! FUCK MOTION CONTROLS!
I think I know which one you mean when you're trying to steer the ball a certain way. The controls were not fun.

I'm enjoying the game but I'm also getting really tired of weapons breaking.
Old 03-12-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

I've done like 45 shrines and I think maybe 2 had motion controls and both were no issue at all with the pro controller.
Old 03-12-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've done like 45 shrines and I think maybe 2 had motion controls and both were no issue at all with the pro controller.
The Wii U version forces you to use the Tablet. I had been sticking with the Pro Controller through the whole game. This was the only time the game required the Tablet.
Old 03-13-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

God forbid they make you use the U tablet for inventory and maps...
Old 03-13-17, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83
There are two pretty easy ways to do that puzzle

Spoiler:
if you turn the maze to the size, it will drop the ball right on the last straight away before the jump off. or 2. turn the maze upside down so the ball is on a flat smooth surface

But I agree motions controls suck. I had the turned off for a reason, then you get these puzzles where you are forced to use them.
Old 03-13-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
There are two pretty easy ways to do that puzzle

Spoiler:
if you turn the maze to the size, it will drop the ball right on the last straight away before the jump off. or 2. turn the maze upside down so the ball is on a flat smooth surface

But I agree motions controls suck. I had the turned off for a reason, then you get these puzzles where you are forced to use them.
I wound up doing the first one you mentioned after about 5 minutes but it still took me a few more minutes after that.
Old 03-13-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, after a couple tries, I got lucky with that one, and had the ball drop on the final stretch, behind where it's supposed to start. The other motion control ones aren't nearly as bad, and kinda fun.

Anyway, after not playing much during the week, but then playing a lot yesterday, I'm blown away even more by this game.

As soon as I think I've gotten a handle on it's depth and breadth, it surprises me with more. Really, it's pretty astounding that I can still be this impressed by a video game, not to mention one made with "last gen" tech. As graphically impressive games like Horizon and Witcher3 may be, the world building and over all mechanics of this game put those to shame.

I just finished my first dungeon too (Zora's "elephant"), and as impressive as it was, with some incredibly creative puzzles, few of the puzzles were not at all intuitive. Embarrassingly, I had look up a couple of the puzzles on youtube. Sometimes, it's like, "oh, no duh!", other times it's like "oh, I didn't know I could do that."
Old 03-13-17, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
I just finished my first dungeon too (Zora's "elephant"), and as impressive as it was, with some incredibly creative puzzles, few of the puzzles were not at all intuitive. Embarrassingly, I had look up a couple of the puzzles on youtube. Sometimes, it's like, "oh, no duh!", other times it's like "oh, I didn't know I could do that."
Getting that large wheel to turn the other way was a bit frustrating, as was using the time stop to get that one chest.

One the plus side I finished Death Mountain this morning, and got my 2nd Beast. The 2nd phase of the boss had me rethinking everything I though I knew about Zelda boss mechanics. I was died abut 5 times, before I caved and looked up how. Then I felt really stupid.
Old 03-13-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm so pissed at myself for having to go to YouTube on the Ruta (elephant) one because

Spoiler:
I forgot ice could lift those gates. This was right in the beginning. The rest I was able to figure out.

This was infuriating since I did not want to look up anything on Youtube, and it is something I had done before, and I should have known.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.