DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   How will the Eighth Generation of Video Game Consoles be remembered? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/638754-how-will-eighth-generation-video-game-consoles-remembered.html)

Sub-Zero 01-16-17 04:00 PM

How will the Eighth Generation of Video Game Consoles be remembered?

How do you think the eighth generation of video game consoles (PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Wii U) be remembered? For example, the seventh generation of video game consoles (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii) are mostly remembered for introducing HD gaming, online play and of course motion controls. How will the eighth generation of video game consoles be remembered?

musick 01-16-17 04:51 PM

Re: How will the Eighth Generation of Video Game Consoles be remembered?

hardware to play delayed software on .... and the Wii U

Decker 01-16-17 04:55 PM

The ideal generation of console to play the definitive version of last generation's games on.

Dan 01-16-17 07:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/yJrByOF.jpg

davidh777 01-16-17 07:28 PM

The generation that really wanted to be the only appliance in the living room but didn't make it there.

OldBoy 01-16-17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12989830)
The ideal generation of console to play the definitive version of last generation's games on.

That sounds about right. I love me some new ones, but the remastered ones seem to be the ones I'm collecting.

RichC2 01-16-17 09:07 PM

The scandal of 2018 ranks highly.

fumanstan 01-16-17 10:04 PM

In the long run, probably for the mid-gen upgrades that Sony and Microsoft are doing, and for the disappointments of the Xbox One launch and Wii U overall.

For me, it's probably just a half baked generation overall. Current consoles are weaker then the should have been, companies are trying to shoot for 4K and VR without the tech not being fully there, the Wii U was just a mess. Just feels like a generation full of lackluster stuff so far.

Sonny Corinthos 01-17-17 07:56 AM

Buying a game and taking it home but it's hours before you can actually play it because it has to download to the system.

cleaver 01-17-17 08:40 AM

Everything's indie or a big deal release, same thing that's happened with movies. No more middle class.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 12990133)
Buying a game and taking it home but it's hours before you can actually play it because it has to download to the system.

That's how I remember last generation, now I'm accustomed and dl speeds are better.

mattysemo247 01-17-17 08:59 AM

Digital games
Remasters
Online subscription services / free games
Day one patches

and the big one, the first time ever there has been a mid-cycle hardware refresh (PS4 Pro & Scorpio). Which I believe is one step closer to the end of console generations as we think of them today.

Breakfast with Girls 01-17-17 09:02 AM

"It's time to update."

starseed1981 01-17-17 10:20 AM

"And this is how the end began."