Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else getting Dead Space Extraction?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Surprised there isn't a thread on this, considering the quality of reviews and the fact that it's looking like it might be one of the better Wii games this year. My preorder shipped today, so I'll be checking it out this weekend. I'm really curious to play it, given that it's pretty much a rails-shooter, but has been getting a fair amount of praise over the story and narrative. Sounds like there's quite a bit of depth in terms of weapons and gameplay, at least for the genre. If anyone was passing, thinking it was just a graphically inferior port with waggle controls, you might want to check some reviews. IGN loved it.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/102/1028144p2.html
Old 09-29-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Anyone else getting Dead Space Extraction?

Yup. Sadly my local BB didn't have it in stock though .
Old 09-29-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I definitely want it but saw nothing as far as sales go for it. Really haven't heard much about it aside from a few previews from gamer magazines here and there.

Looks like you can add another M rated bomb on the Wii unfortunately.
Old 09-29-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I'm not a light gun game person but it looks interesting.

I saw them playing this on "True Blood".
Old 10-01-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My copy came yesterday and a buddy and I got through about an hour's worth last night. Considering it's a rails-shooter, they really did a great job of capturing the feel of Dead Space. It's not as tense as the original, but does maintain a really creepy atmosphere. There's also quite a bit of gameplay depth for a game where you're not controlling most of your movement. You have some control over where you look, have a fair amount of stuff in the environment to interact with and still have the stasis and kinesis abilities. In some sections, you also direct where and when you want to move, but the actual running is handled by the game. It's probably the best looking game I've seen on the Wii too. Certainly a step down from the original, but it looks surprisingly good for a Wii game.

While it supports use of the Wii Zapper, I wouldn't really call it a light-gun game. To use a gun's secondary firing mode, you turn the Wii Remote at a 90-degree angle. At least for me, that made using the Zapper a bit awkward. I really preferred just using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. It's probably better to think of it as a FPS in which you don't control the majority of your movement. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Only thing I found a little strange is that on co-op, you're both playing, but there's only one character. So whichever guy you're playing as might simultaneously be holding two items in the air with kinesis and firing two guns.
Old 10-01-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the review. I definitely want to pick it up but may wait until I can find a deal on it. Judging from the lack of buzz, the price on this may fall fast.

Would the game work on the 360 or PS3 or does it seem only comfortable with the Wii's controls?
Old 10-01-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it would work as-is on the 360/PS3. It was definitely designed from the ground up as a Wii experience. For the most part, the game's moving your character and the events going on around you are pretty scripted. For instance, you might go to an area with three or four doors, but rather than letting you explore, your character's just taken to the one you're supposed to go in at that point. I think that would feel pretty limiting on the 360. Compared to traditional rails-shooters, there's a lot of depth. Compared to what we've come to expect from 360/PS3 FPS's and TPS's, it'd seem somewhat shallow.
Old 10-01-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped this one up. Took about 7 or 8 hrs in case anybody is interested.
Old 10-01-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Just wrapped this one up. Took about 7 or 8 hrs in case anybody is interested.
That seems long for a rail game. Does anyone remember how long the Resident Evil Umbrella one was?
Old 04-22-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

After completing SEVERED DLC on DS2....

Played/Completed this for the 1st time (PS3). I love DEAD SPACE franchise, so I wasn't sure how this game would be. It was cool seeing events before the first game, and seeing Nicole was awesome. Getting ammo, health and especially collectibles are a bitch to get with the blink of an eye time they give to pick up. So not able to restart a checkpoint or not able to quick save and missing a collectible, meant having to play the whole damn level again . And it was bullshit when fighting the 2 big bosses having half health and a little bit of ammo. so dying and retrying a lot

Anyway I like this game and love the DEAD SPACE franchise, so more games the better!