Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Last of Us: Part II (PS4, 6/19/20)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 09:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: The Last of Us: Part II (PS4, 6/19/20)

Yeah, I turned that shit down right away but I still find much of the melee disorienting. Otherwise, it's not too bad.
Old 06-24-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

It's strange. I played the first game in chunks of about 6-8 hours with not a single case of getting dizzy. I think It's happened every time I've played this so far. I don't remember it happening on anything other than a FPS in the past.
Old 06-24-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I think this is one of those rare games where, if there's enough active discussion on this forum, we should have a separate unmarked spoiler thread where discussion can be more open for those who have finished it and want to talk about it more freely.
Definitely agree and not just because I finished it!

It's hard to discuss this game without spoilers.

There are quite a few sections I'm looking forward to discussing if this becomes a thing!
Old 06-26-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

10 hours in and this is already one of the best games i’ve ever played.

i think the museum is one of my favorite parts of the game so far.
Old 06-27-20, 10:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I've spent much of them game wandering, trying to check out the shops and other spots off the main path, but I feel like I'm still barely progressing at all. For reference, I'm about 28 hours in, and it's kind of hard to say how far I am without spoilers, but let's say it's
Spoiler:
seattle

Day two, but
Spoiler:
the second time.

amd it's like... Damn. I actually really like
Spoiler:
playing as Abby, as she's as much of a full character as Ellie, but

but it's such a slow moving story. I'm enjoying it, but still.
​​​​​​ It's building up to the
Spoiler:
Big encounter, where Seattle Day Three as Ellie left off.

so I get it.

One nitpick, less spoilery but gameplay related
Spoiler:
I really don't like that there's a cinematic moment where Ellie kills
Spoiler:
a dog. And the gameplay seems to make it impossible to avoid killing them throughout.

yeah, I know, she kills a bunch of people along the way, but damn... Didn't see Ellie as that kind of person.

Anyway... I don't know how much of the game I actually have left, but I'm fully aware that there's at least
Spoiler:
one more location, beyond Seattle.

so it feels like I have another 28 hours to go
Old 06-28-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

After a couple intense [spoiler]zombie[/spoiler[ encounters, I feel like I’ve hit a major milestone in the story. Can’t read any spoilerized comments in case they’re further along than I am.
Old 06-29-20, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
It's strange. I played the first game in chunks of about 6-8 hours with not a single case of getting dizzy. I think It's happened every time I've played this so far. I don't remember it happening on anything other than a FPS in the past.
If anyone else has this issue, I found and completely turned off both Motion Blur and Camera Shake in the settings, which helped a ton. I didn't notice those when I first reduced the camera speed.

Old 06-29-20, 11:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

davidh777's spoiler tag is broken. Luckily it's nothing earth-shattering.

I've finished the game. I think it's fantastic but has some flaws and observations that I have to think about a bit before I decide if they really matter all that much.
(these are all major or minor spoilers, so I'm putting them in one set of tags. Be warned.)
Spoiler:
The main one is in regards to the structure. I think it was a bold, damn near brilliant move to change course mid-way and have us play as Abby for a full three days (plus flashbacks, plus part of Santa Barbara). She's a damn good character, and dare I say, has more depth than Ellie. By the time Abby's finale in Day 3 rolled around (with that epic, brutal fight on the island), Ellie's story felt pale in comparison; here she is trying to avenge the death of her father-figure while Abby's going around saving her friends and those kids. It's undeniable that every hurdle Abby goes through in-game is on a larger scale than Ellie's. But, putting the scale of the parallel stories aside, they do hold similar emotional weight. Abby got her revenge, and was dealing with the emotional fallout of that, including the lack of closure. Ellie was seeking her revenge, hoping it would give her the closure she needed, but that we all know wouldn't be enough. Anyway, the flaw in this, at least from where I'm at right now, is I wanted more to the end of Abby's story. The post-credit title screen changes to hint that Abby & Lev made it to their destination... but if feels... lacking. After spending so much time with Abby, I wanted to see her story play out just a little bit more, since the game was as much about her as it was about Ellie.

Another is... and I'm sure some/many will disagree... but as much as I enjoyed this (and I did really enjoy it), I would have preferred to have a bit more choice in the key plot points. I realize Naughty Dog doesn't really "do" choice like that, as they want everyone to experience the same series of events with the same outcome. But in the final fight... I wanted to fight as Abby even if it meant still losing the fight... but to give players both sides throughout the game, only to force us to control Ellie in that key moment, was kind of a disappointment. But maybe Abby's follow-up will be in the DLC or a new game/spinoff. Also, one could make the argument that ND games are more like a TV series than actual games. Ultimately, the story is being told the way it's being told, and you're either along for the ride, or you stop watching/playing because you're tired of the endless cycle. To be clear... I'm along for the ride. I just have to wonder if the game would have benefited from giving players more choice OR if it could have been better told in a TV series instead.

I didn't read any major spoilers leading up to the game, and I'm glad for that. I only came across one sort of minor spoiler when I was already partway through, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. The fact is, there are a ton of people upset at this game for all sorts of various reasons, and much of that seems to point to the leak from a few months back, where plot/character details were provided with no real context. I'm glad I got to experience the full story of the game in the context in which it is told. I find that a whole lot of stuff gets 'ruined' for some by people providing their basic-ass plot synopsis and commentary on such. This happens for a lot of media, but it's particularly obnoxious in the video game realm.

I DID think some of the violence in the game was a bit much. Yeah yeah, it's a zombie game. I get it. Still, it kind of goes beyond that when the human-to-human violence is arguably more brutal than any of the other stuff. Not unlike that one scene in The Walking Dead, there were a few really cringey moments. All I'm saying is that I think the observations about this are valid, and as much as the violence does indeed serve the story (which is inherently violent and grisly), I don't know if the game is better or worse for going to the extreme end of that from time to time. The last fight on the burning island between Abby and some random tough-ass Scar, in particular, was arguably the most brutal. Wow.
And I refuse to accept Ellie being a dog killer as canon.

hmm... what else...

The bridge sequence made my palms sweaty and, just like Abby, I needed to take a break after getting through it. Same with the boss sequence in the lower level of the hospital with that giant beast chasing you. Damn, that was fun shit.

I liked all of the side characters. They all felt pretty fleshed out with real motivations and characteristics.

Oh, performance. The game runs smoothly 99% of the time. That said, I did see my fair share of stutters and a whole lot of asset/texture pop-in. I had a character get stuck in the map by clipping through a wall after jumping down a ledge. A few times, when walking along a wall, the screen flashed white for no apparent reason, and it would happen repeatedly in only those spots. Some character models looked fantastic, but then others looked inexplicably bad. Combat throughout is tough but fair. Gun fights in particular could be particularly difficult, as they should be, when enemies swarmed around you. I quite enjoyed the stealth and melee fights, which all have a fluidity that goes unmatched.

Even though I think ratings are generally pointless, I'd say experiencing the game in its entirety was well worth it, and overall better than the original in almost every way. I, like others, was a little disappointed when I first realized this wasn't going to end up changing course into a "we can still save the world" kind of story, but upon reflection, I think it's better off for it. This game was a more personal story about guilt and redemption; about Ellie, and equally, about Abby. Sure there's things I'd have done differently if it were my story to tell, but I think ND did a fantastic job here. Arbitrary score: 8.1/10.

A chronological mode incorporating everything from both games & DLC would be an interesting hidden extra if they were to offer such a thing.

Video games are neat.
Old 06-30-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question for those who have finished
Spoiler:
Are the Abby chapters in Seattle as long as the 3 for Ellie? I've become so bored of this game but I really want to see it through to the end. I've avoided all the leaked spoilers so most everything has been new as I've seen it.

Old 06-30-20, 09:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^
mostly, yes. Maybe slightly shorter, but if you're prone to wandering, they'll take up similar amount of time. If it's not obvious yet...
Spoiler:
those chapters are leading up to the exact same event where Ellie's Day 3 ended. So 3 days of Abby, specifically.
But they're so worth it, IMO.
Old 06-30-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Quick question about my progress in the game. I want to know how far in I am, and how much is left.
Spoiler:
Just reunited Jesse with Dina at the theater. And I'm currently in the flashback with Joel going to a music shop.

Old 06-30-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
Quick question about my progress in the game. I want to know how far in I am, and how much is left.
Spoiler:
Just reunited Jesse with Dina at the theater. And I'm currently in the flashback with Joel going to a music shop.

Still quite early on. Maybe 1/3 the way through?

Last edited by Noonan; 06-30-20 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lopper (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still quite early on. Maybe 1/3 the way through?
Thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just found out there's an option in Accessibility to have items auto picked up just by walking past them. Still need to press to open drawers and cabinets but items are collected without pressing Triangle. If only I knew that 20 hours of game play ago.
Old 07-02-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

19 hours in and
Spoiler:
Why am I forced to all of the sudden play an extended chunk as Abby? This feels like it should’ve been DLC.

Not a fan.
Old 07-02-20, 10:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
19 hours in and
Spoiler:
Why am I forced to all of the sudden play an extended chunk as Abby? This feels like it should’ve been DLC.

Not a fan.
How long have you been in that chunk?
IMO, it arguably becomes the best part of the game. Stick with it.
Old 07-03-20, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan

Hours wise, I don’t know how long I’ve been working on this specific section. Maybe 1.5 if I had to guess. Maybe less.
Spoiler:
I just finished the aquarium flashback.

I think I’m starting to come around on it though.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (07-03-20)
Old 07-04-20, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Yep, you were right. Best part of the game so far.
Old 07-04-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

What in the fuck is wrong with people?

[voice actor for Abby}
Old 07-04-20, 11:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ all will be revealed when you play the game!!!!

(lol no. They're just a bunch of over entitled babies mixed in with a few bots/trolls for better deniability)
Old 07-04-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Some people really need to separate entertainment from reality.
Old 07-04-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ all will be revealed when you play the game!!!!

(lol no. They're just a bunch of over entitled babies mixed in with a few bots/trolls for better deniability)
The internet & social media have given a voices to people that need to be sharing those voices with therapists.

Laura Bailey rules!

Old 07-06-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished this up over the weekend. Overall, not a huge fan. If you're in it purely for the game-play, you'll enjoy this one like you did the first. If you're in it for a continuation of the amazing story from the 1st, you can pass on this completely. I'm glad I'm done (deleted it the second the credits ended) but I'm also glad I played it.
Spoiler:
-The ending was pure garbage. All of that shit we went through and I wasn't even given the option to kill Abby at the end???
-Ellie ends the game with everyone she cares about dead or gone; no longer has fingers needed to play the guitar (which she fucking left behind in the farm!!??); didn't get revenge for Joel; the idea that she could save the world is completely out the window.
-Fuck them for making me kill dogs
-Abby's chapters were better written but I still had no interest in what her or her group was doing. The good parts of her chapters were ruined by not developing the character enough for us to give a shit.
-For someone who has a conscious in all other scenarios Abby never once showed remorse for torturing and beating to death another person who just saved her life minutes before?
-Does Abby even tell Ellie who she is (daughter of the Dr) at all during the game?
-Ellie leaving her perfect situation at the farm because plot device Tommy showed up is a slap in the face to everything Joel wanted for her.
-I understand wanting to keep the story points secret till release but editing the trailers with sections of Joel which didn't exist in the game to make it seem like he's more a part of it is shady marketing. They literally had the voice actor read lines for the trailer which was never meant for the game.
-If they didn't want to make a sequel which moved the main story forward (dealing with the virus), the whole game should have been about Lev/Yara and their journey.
-Who the fuck was the group at the end taking people as slaves? Were they ever introduced before the last 2 hours of this game?
-Every decision Ellie makes is 100% against the character they wrote in the 1st. It's like whoever wrote this one never played the 1st game.

Old 07-06-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished this up over the weekend. Overall, not a huge fan. If you're in it purely for the game-play, you'll enjoy this one like you did the first. If you're in it for a continuation of the amazing story from the 1st, you can pass on this completely. I'm glad I'm done (deleted it the second the credits ended) but I'm also glad I played it.
Spoiler:
-The ending was pure garbage. All of that shit we went through and I wasn't even given the option to kill Abby at the end???
-Ellie ends the game with everyone she cares about dead or gone; no longer has fingers needed to play the guitar (which she fucking left behind in the farm!!??); didn't get revenge for Joel; the idea that she could save the world is completely out the window.
-Fuck them for making me kill dogs
-Abby's chapters were better written but I still had no interest in what her or her group was doing. The good parts of her chapters were ruined by not developing the character enough for us to give a shit.
-For someone who has a conscious in all other scenarios Abby never once showed remorse for torturing and beating to death another person who just saved her life minutes before? Who was this? Joel? I don't remember.
-Does Abby even tell Ellie who she is (daughter of the Dr) at all during the game? Why would she? Her daddy beef was with Joel, not Ellie. Did she even know who Ellie was besides being the girl who was at the cabin, and is now trying to kill her? Maybe I missed something...
-Ellie leaving her perfect situation at the farm because plot device Tommy showed up is a slap in the face to everything Joel wanted for her.
-I understand wanting to keep the story points secret till release but editing the trailers with sections of Joel which didn't exist in the game to make it seem like he's more a part of it is shady marketing. They literally had the voice actor read lines for the trailer which was never meant for the game. I love it when games/movies do this, actually. Trailers spoil way too much these days, so I appreciate the misdirection.
-If they didn't want to make a sequel which moved the main story forward (dealing with the virus), the whole game should have been about Lev/Yara and their journey.
-Who the fuck was the group at the end taking people as slaves? Were they ever introduced before the last 2 hours of this game? I didn't understand this either. They show up right after Abby makes that radio call, so I thought they were actually the ones she was talking to, and they were in the vicinity when they intercepted her transmission. But with the menu changing to show Catalina Island after the credits, it's assumed she ended up going there to hook up with the Fireflies? I didn't like this part.
-Every decision Ellie makes is 100% against the character they wrote in the 1st. It's like whoever wrote this one never played the 1st game.

Just finished this the other day, and I loved it. I like it even more now that I'm a couple days removed from the story. But holy shit, it was absolutely grim from start to finish, but still great. I hope we aren't another seven years away from seeing how this continues.
Old 07-08-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Glad to see this being done.....probably won't have any bearing on future games but at least slow down the obvious where a vast majority of so-called reviewers were giving the game zero's day one of the release bashing the cr*p out the game with no-way of playing it...

The Last of Us Pt 2 Metacritic Review Bombing Prompts Changes to User Score System ......https://www.psu.com/news/the-last-of...-score-system/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.