DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Death Stranding (Hideo Kojima game, Release Date: 11/8/2019) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/638345-death-stranding-hideo-kojima-game-release-date-11-8-2019-a.html)

asianxcore 11-09-19 05:26 PM

Re: Death Stranding (Hideo Kojima game, Release Date: 11/8/2019)

Picked it up this past Thursday at Best Buy's 9pm Release.

Hopefully will jump into it today after a few more hours of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.

mhg83 11-09-19 09:07 PM

I'm about 5 hours in and I dont see where the critics say the beginning parts are a slog. Story is interesting, music selection although sparse is great and some of the walking parts are challenging.

I think a lot has to do with how the reviewers had to put in a lot of time every day in order to get their review put. Tpis is the kind of game that you should take slow and not rush through.

asianxcore 11-11-19 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 13637457)
I'm about 5 hours in and I dont see where the critics say the beginning parts are a slog. Story is interesting, music selection although sparse is great and some of the walking parts are challenging.

I think a lot has to do with how the reviewers had to put in a lot of time every day in order to get their review put. Tpis is the kind of game that you should take slow and not rush through.

I've only been able to put in about an hour a night into the game but I am enjoying it thus far.

In terms of music selection, I absolutely love Low Roar's "Don't Be So Serious".

robin2099 11-13-19 11:21 AM

Picked this up despite not knowing if I would like it or not(I didn't think it was for me) but I'll be damned if I am not enjoying it. The story is intriguing, the gameplay is interesting and while the world is not living and breathing it still feels awe inspiring. Honestly if your on the fence its worth giving it a shot.

dsa_shea 11-14-19 12:05 AM

I like the game but the map is more like walking across undeveloped parts of Iceland rather than what's left of the United States. Where are the remnants of previous infrastructure? It wouldn't just disappear.

lwhy? 12-18-19 09:47 AM

This is currently $35 at Amazon

lopper 12-18-19 01:50 PM

~$25 used at Redbox

Michael Corvin 12-18-19 03:33 PM

Damn. Dropping like a rock.

lopper 12-22-19 09:31 AM

I just love this game..or at least I did for the first 33 hours. Then, once I found myself falling into unavoidable combat scenarios with the Mules, I decided it was enough. If it were more straight forward delivery nonsense and zero combat, I probably would’ve seen this through.

But I read the plot summary on Wikipedia and it sounds like a) I was nowhere near the end when I stopped, and b) most of the endgame was fairly skippable. The final ending, like the very end, sounded pretty neat and I’m glad I got far enough in the story for that to mean something.

lwhy? 12-23-19 01:24 PM

I'm going to get this when new copies are around $19.99. I'm very interested in playing it. I have plenty of games to keep me busy until then.

mhg83 12-23-19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13659472)
I just love this game..or at least I did for the first 33 hours. Then, once I found myself falling into unavoidable combat scenarios with the Mules, I decided it was enough. If it were more straight forward delivery nonsense and zero combat, I probably would’ve seen this through.

I'm hoping they update the game with the option to remove combat.

mattysemo247 12-26-19 02:14 PM

After 15 minutes of gameplay and watching over an hour of cutscenes, I think I'm done with this one :lol:

I have no fucking idea what is going on

mattysemo247 12-26-19 02:53 PM

Wait, now I get to strap dead bodies on my back and fall down constantly while I transport them across the map? Now I'm back in!

Who in the hell told him this was a good concept for a game?

nickdawgy 12-31-19 09:35 PM

I love it so far.

robin2099 02-27-20 11:01 AM

Forgot to say I(mostly) finished this a month ago. And my overall opinion? I thought it was pretty good and will go down as an underrated gem. I liked the story, even though it has the usual Kojima weirdness attached to it. I really enjoyed the setting, sneaking past the Death Stranding and avoiding conflict, as well as trying to figure out my optimum loadout and figuring out where to put roads, bridges, zip lines etc. The big weakness of the game for me is the stealth part. Sneaking into posts and stealing packages is rather clunky and thats surprising coming from Kojima since he made his name in the stealth genre.
My big pet peeve though, and the part that made me give up was the end of the game. You HAVE to play through the end credits. So the ending of the game consists of walk, cut scene, end credit scroll and repeat that over and over again. Eventually I gave up and watched the ending on YouTube.
Overall though I would give this an 8/10 though. It has a lot of good ideas and does a lot of unique things making it a pretty refreshing game to play.

Why So Blu? 04-26-20 10:09 AM

This is $25 on Amazon.

brainee 04-12-21 12:19 PM

I've been playing this for the last month. About 30 hours of gameplay ... I'm still not sure if I'm having fun or not :lol: It's certainly something different. The mechanics for how you interact with other players is cool: using things left behind by others and getting likes for things you did to help others out. And the setting is intriguing even though there's still a lot I'm not understanding about the world.

I'm finding the rare action sequences (MULE fights, boss fights, shooter sections) awkward. It's like the whole game is one type of game and then you're just thrown into a completely different type of game that are mandatory to pass.

How much more gameplay do I have? I fear it's a lot. I just started Chapter 5:
Spoiler:
the mission to go west into the mountains. Just cleared the WWI "Combat Veteran" section.

I don't need to grind on optional delivery missions, do I? I've been doing things that are on my way. But if I have to go back away from the main missions to build up "likes" ... I think that will break me and make me bail on the game. There's only so many times I can carry stuff from point A to point B before it gets boring.

RichC2 04-12-21 12:32 PM

I've debated relentlessly on buying this, but at this point I assume it'll just popup on a PC charity bundle at some point.

brainee 05-03-21 11:45 AM

Finally finished last night. Final play time ended up being 65 hours. Fortunately the difficulty level was never too high (I played on "normal"), and the mechanic of your character being able to constantly resurrect was forgiving (the only thing that made me need to reload a save is when critical cargo got destroyed). Little did I know that the most frustrating chapters to play were still coming up after my last post. Fortunately the chapters got short and main-story focused starting with chapter 9 (with the last 2 being mostly cut scenes).

It certainly had its moments. It was a unique gaming experience. The setting was interesting and the use of music was about as good as I've ever seen in a game. I suppose one could argue that the best moments wouldn't have worked so well if you didn't have to go through such a slog to there. I don't think the story hit me with the quite the emotional heft that was intended, just because it was so convoluted and I was too busy struggling to keep track of what was going on most of the time. But this had some great acting performances.

RichC2 05-28-21 05:53 PM

This was $13 on epic game store so I decided to give it a shot. I don't know how much I'll actually play but It's a well done, crazy ass production in the first couple hours.