DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Death Stranding (Hideo Kojima game, Release Date: 11/8/2019) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/638345-death-stranding-hideo-kojima-game-release-date-11-8-2019-a.html)

nickdawgy 11-01-19 04:54 AM

Re: Death Stranding (Hideo Kojima game, Release Date: 11/8/2019)

I might bite on it. My PS4 doesn’t see much action.

Adam Tyner 11-01-19 06:12 AM

Even the more glowing reviews make it painfully clear that this is not a game for me. Better to realize that now than once I’m already knee-deep in it, I suppose. :)

And I’m in the same boat, Nick. Days Gone is the only PS4 game I’ve played all year, although I’ll grab Concrete Genie at some point before the year’s out.

Koby 11-01-19 06:22 AM

Seems like something I'll pass on.

redrum 11-01-19 10:01 AM

I’ll eventually play it when it’s free on ps+

Dan 11-01-19 10:09 AM

I'll wait until it's $30-ish. For now, I'll keep playing The Outer Worlds.

Decker 11-01-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13633440)
The review embargo has been lifted and, uh...apparently scores are all over the place.

There's 3 to 4 hours worth of scenes before you actually start playing? :sad:

They are, but most are very positive. The Metacritic score is 84 with 13 perfect 100 scores out of 71 reviews.

starseed1981 11-01-19 10:56 AM

So basically this is a game which just isn't for everyone. Who it clicks with will love it and who it doesn't click with will dislike it.

Deftones 11-01-19 11:10 AM

Some of the reviews are hilarious. One of them said this was basically a glorified UPS simulator. :lol:

robin2099 11-01-19 02:07 PM

I guess after watching the reviews its easy to see why Konami fired Kojima. They were probably going "We are spending how much on this game? And you do what exactly?" It just seems so incredibly weird and yet it seems like something you have to try. I don't think this game would be for me and yet I want to try it, so I have to give Kojima credit for doing something that catches my attention.

Decker 11-01-19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13633615)
Some of the reviews are hilarious. One of them said this was basically a glorified UPS simulator. :lol:

That is funny.

I have the LE ordered with the Steelbook. Couldn't swing the $200 Collector's Edition with embryo replica, but have to admit, it's pretty unique.

Goldberg74 11-02-19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13633615)

I still say they should have called it Norman’s Delivery Service.

lwhy? 11-02-19 06:31 PM

I'll wait for a sale. I'm interested in playing this though. PS4 game prices depreciate so quickly, it's best to wait a month or two for a price drop so you can save $10-$20 bucks.

Goldberg74 11-02-19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13634204)
I'll wait for a sale. I'm interested in playing this though. PS4 game prices depreciate so quickly, it's best to wait a month or two for a price drop so you can save $10-$20 bucks.

I plan on doing this with this game and Jedi: Fallen Order. Besides, I haven’t the time to dedicate to them now anyways.

The Questyen 11-02-19 10:29 PM

From the Push Square review:
"The most important factor you'll have to consider as you deliver packages is weight. Sam, played by The Walking Dead star Norman Reedus, can only carry so much on his back so you'll need to work out a method of distributing the burden effectively. Piling it high is always an option, but that means our protagonist will constantly be off-balance as the cargo swings from side to side in the wind. You could attach some items to Sam's suit, which in turn makes him slower as he lugs about more than just his own body mass. Or you could opt to carry a couple of objects with your hands, which takes away a couple of interactive actions away from you. That's thanks to the L2 and R2 buttons having to be held for the entire trek to ensure you don’t drop them."

80-100 hours of this? No thanks.

foxdvd 11-02-19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13634292)

agreed...

Nothing bothers me more than an artist pushing shit on me to get to the "art" There may be something brilliant there, but I am NOT going enjoy it more if I have to suffer to get it. I know they tell you this is the case, but trust me, I know myself. I can take a bit of annoyance, when that part is kept down and eventually goes away, but it sounds like this game never lets up.

Decker 11-02-19 11:55 PM

Yeah I am out as well.

big e 11-03-19 10:52 AM

"The most important factor you'll have to consider as you deliver packages is weight. Sam, played by The Walking Dead star Norman Reedus, can only carry so much on his back so you'll need to work out a method of distributing the burden effectively. Piling it high is always an option, but that means our protagonist will constantly be off-balance as the cargo swings from side to side in the wind. You could attach some items to Sam's suit, which in turn makes him slower as he lugs about more than just his own body mass. Or you could opt to carry a couple of objects with your hands, which takes away a couple of interactive actions away from you. That's thanks to the L2 and R2 buttons having to be held for the entire trek to ensure you don’t drop them."

So, all you do in this game is deliver shit? That seems kinda... boring.

mattysemo247 11-04-19 07:33 PM

After listening to Giant Beastcast, I also canceled my preorder. This sounds like the perfect library rental. Play it for a few hours to check out the gameplay loop and mechanics and then delete it.

Michael Corvin 11-04-19 08:27 PM

this was moderately on my radar but ...

This sounds dreadful. I'm out.

mhg83 11-04-19 09:15 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ujcC1_Ur9RY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IGN took a giant shit on the game lol

slop101 11-07-19 10:18 AM

I was kinda on the fence, wanting to give this "game" the benefit of a doubt, but everything I'm seeing/reading only confirm my worst fears. Oh well, it's not like I'm lacking games to play.

slop101 11-07-19 10:24 AM

https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/up...07-oivgqra.gif

starseed1981 11-08-19 12:40 PM

I really like it:shrug:

starseed1981 11-09-19 11:02 AM

10 hours in. I think it’s a masterpiece. It’s clearly going to be a polarizing game and isn’t for everyone. But the more work you put it, the more satisfying of an experience it is. If the game ended now it would already more past A Plague Tale for my GOTY. I would recommend that people wait a couple of weeks to play, so the world is more connected.

dsa_shea 11-09-19 12:29 PM

I picked it up against my better judgment. I even bought the steelbook edition. I guess I will find out if I like it.