DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Non-console war for people with both: Xbox One or PS4? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/638146-non-console-war-people-both-xbox-one-ps4.html)

GatorDeb 11-17-16 11:26 PM

Non-console war for people with both: Xbox One or PS4?

One of those is coming home with me on Black Friday (or maybe both :lol:). Or who knows, neither if you can talk me out of it :D

For people with both, which do you like the best?

I'm mostly into traditional turn-based RPGs and puzzle games like Professor Layton or Picross (or is it just overkill to have a current-gen console and I should stick with the PC? We own a gaming PC).

No 4K TV and no plans to get one. Already have a Roku for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc. Don't have a BD player but we don't watch them either and if needed to we have the PC and an external BD drive (and a nice monitor).

The models going for $250 are going to be the XBOX One S and the PS4 Slim.

Thanks!

The Questyen 11-17-16 11:32 PM

Re: Non-console war for people with both: Xbox One or PS4?

I have both and if I could only have one it would be the PS4. I prefer the controller, the menu layout, and the selection of games. The type of games you play "traditional RPG and puzzle" are definitely more plentiful on the PS4 then on the XB1.

TheBigDave 11-17-16 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12950314)
One of those is coming home with me on Black Friday

I'm getting one on BF too. I was originally planning on getting the PS4, since it seems to be the preferred system this gen. But after a lot of thinking, I've decided to get the Xbox One instead.

For me, it came down to the game selection. My most played games last gen were COD, Battlefield and Gears of War. And I'm really looking forward to Gears 4 on the XB1.

Decker 11-17-16 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12950318)
I have both and if I could only have one it would be the PS4. I prefer the controller, the menu layout, and the selection of games. The type of games you play "traditional RPG and puzzle" are definitely more plentiful on the PS4 then on the XB1.

I agree. Both consoles are good, but I like my PS4 better because they have more diverse games (especially indie games), better "free" games most months, a more comfortable controller (IMO), better user interface on the console, I like their exclusive games more than the Xbox exclusives (though I love both Forza series on the One), and I'm a big fan of the wireless Sony 5.1 headset (which will also be on sale on BF) -- nothing like that for the One.

GatorDeb 11-17-16 11:54 PM

I WOULD be getting the online component if I bought a console because you can consistently get them for $50 each and I was curious about what kind of games they offer for "free."

Right now on the PC I'm playing a Kendoku game that I paid $5 for and I've spent over 10 hours on with much more to go. So I'm all for those little cheap games that sometime turn out to be gems :)

fumanstan 11-18-16 12:00 AM

I prefer my XBox One over the PS4, mostly because I like the Xbox exclusive games better like Gears of War and Forza Horizon (and I also liked Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive), with really Uncharted being the only Sony exclusive out so far that I really love. I also prefer the Xbox One controller, and in contrast to Decker's opinion I think their free game offerings have been much better this generation (opposed to last generation, where PS3 was far better with freebies) :shrug: Plus, 360 backwards compatibility is pretty nice if you were a 360 owner with games you still want to hang on to and revisit, or never got a chance to play.

That said, based on the games you seem to be interested in the PS4 wins since the indie titles will probably give you far more interesting puzzle games to mess around with. Turned based RPG wise though, I don't think there's much on either system although I haven't paid much attention to that genre. It seems to be less popular in lieu of open world RPG's these days. Of course, the PC also has most of the indies that the PS4 has but generally I think most feel that if you have a gaming PC the PS4 is a better compliment since a lot of the Xbox exclusives now are making their way to PC too.

Decker 11-18-16 12:04 AM

PlayStation Plus Games :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

Games With Gold (Xbox)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

Both have had some very good games and some clunkers, but it seems to me that Xbox One ended up with more bad games than the PS4 did.
It should be noted though that Xbox One has backwards compatibility so you can play those free 360 games on the One console. The PS4 isn't BC so while you can grab the "free" PS3 games, most aren't going to be playable on the PS4 (though some "free" PS3 & PS Vita games also include a PS4 version as well).

GatorDeb 11-18-16 12:12 AM

That's not a lot of games.... I thought the list for each would be bigger.

Would you recommend a console at all when it comes to RPG and puzzle games specifically or is it a bit of an overkill, especially already owning a PC?

Decker 11-18-16 12:23 AM

I forgot one huge plus for each system

PS4 : Much more frequent, way-better sales. Almost any indie game will go on sale soon. They usually have much better discounts on the games both they and MS put on sale. Plus they sometimes include rebates or discount codes as promotions.

Xbox One : Only console with EA Access. That gives you "free" access to lots of games in "The Vault". You get a lot of content for $30 a year. You'll have instant access to about 20 full games now.
https://www.ea.com/eaaccess/

Decker 11-18-16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12950341)
That's not a lot of games.... I thought the list for each would be bigger.

It's two games a month for both the PS4 & Xbox One. PS 4 has done it since launch. Xbox one started like a year later.

Would you recommend a console at all when it comes to RPG and puzzle games specifically or is it a bit of an overkill, especially already owning a PC?
Definitely the PS4. They have tons of exclusive JRPGs including big titles like World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Heroes and the upcoming Persona 5.
They also have big Puzzle game console exclusives like The Witness and The Talis Principle.

GatorDeb 11-18-16 12:40 AM

Forgot to mention, I AM getting a 3DS (that one's not up for discussion :lol:) and I'm getting Persona for it (and Fire Emblem, and Bravery Default/Second, etc.).

fumanstan 11-18-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12950335)
Both have had some very good games and some clunkers, but it seems to me that Xbox One ended up with more bad games than the PS4 did.

We've had this discussion before, but in my opinion I still think the Xbox has had better retail releases for free and in contrast the PS4 has quite a lot of indie titles that are just as bad as anything on Xbox, so to each their own with the freebies.

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12950347)

Definitely the PS4. They have tons of exclusive JRPGs including big titles like World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Heroes and the upcoming Persona 5.
They also have big Puzzle game console exclusives like The Witness and The Talis Principle.

Yeah, if JRPG's are your jam Microsoft isn't even trying this time around (whereas they at least made a solid effort on 360). However, I do want to point out The Witness isn't exclusive and is on Xbox One now.

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12950352)
Forgot to mention, I AM getting a 3DS (that one's not up for discussion :lol:) and I'm getting Persona for it (and Fire Emblem, and Bravery Default/Second, etc.).

The 3DS is probably better then either console based on the genres you're looking for. But really, if you're still looking for a home console then the PS4 probably compliments the PC and 3DS the best for what you're looking for.

GatorDeb 11-18-16 12:49 AM

That's interesting, EA Access is now available for PCs also although with 8 games less.

I got Guitar Hero Live for $25 each (bought it for each console just in case... It's Walmart store pickup easily cancel-able). I figured at least it gets me a wireless guitar and that's worth the $25 for any future GH game they release. It's one HUGE draw for me to get a console. They have like two GH games for the PC but reviews all consistently say it's not a good gaming experience and it's full of lag.

mattysemo247 11-18-16 08:05 AM

Looking at your original post, I would suggest going Vita, 3DS, PC. I don't really see a reason why you should get a PS4 or XB1 with the type of gaming you are looking for.

RichC2 11-18-16 08:13 AM

I have both, I think the Xbox One has the better setup, controller, online play and feature set but I prefer the exclusives on the PS4 and I'm loving the VR.

E Unit 11-18-16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12950318)

Overall, this is why I prefer my PS4.

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12950334)
I prefer my XBox One over the PS4, mostly because I like the Xbox exclusive games better like Gears of War and Forza Horizon (and I also liked Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive), with really Uncharted being the only Sony exclusive out so far that I really love.

But now that I have the XB1S, I really am digging their exclusive Forza Horizon 3, as well as Gears of War. I also really like having UHD capability, but I know that's not of interest to you.

starseed1981 11-18-16 08:51 AM

Ps4.

Decker 11-18-16 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12950355)
That's interesting, EA Access is now available for PCs also although with 8 games less.

I got Guitar Hero Live for $25 each (bought it for each console just in case... It's Walmart store pickup easily cancel-able). I figured at least it gets me a wireless guitar and that's worth the $25 for any future GH game they release. It's one HUGE draw for me to get a console. They have like two GH games for the PC but reviews all consistently say it's not a good gaming experience and it's full of lag.

Just so you know, this Guitar Hero game isn't much like previous ones. For one the controller is very different than previous ones with two rows of three buttons. I found it difficult to get my head around. Also they made the game so that you're playing songs that they're selecting on almost a TV channel, rather than you picking your songs at will. It was pretty controversial.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/guitar-hero-live

My advice, regardless of which console you choose, is skip GH altogether and grab a Rock Band 4 bundle instead when you find one cheap.

Maxflier 11-18-16 09:55 AM

PS4, not even a question. My Xbone collects dust.

Krayzie 11-18-16 10:03 AM

I am not sure you really need either console right now. The 3ds should keep you busy. Maybe wait and pick one up when a game you really want to play is released?

hail2dking 11-18-16 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 12950506)
PS4, not even a question. My Xbone collects dust.

Just the opposite here, I have three boys and nobody plays our PS4. Currently have two Xbox Ones and would consider a third if sharing worked on all three.

Rival11 11-18-16 11:41 AM

Definitely the xbox one - best network and as a huge MMA fan....I need the UFC\fight pass app. I don't own a PS4 but play on one enough to be able to post in this thread - it's really good and regardless of what people say, there really isn't that much difference between the two systems - you really can't go wrong either way.

All of my friends mainly use their xbox ones only as well.

cleaver 11-18-16 01:12 PM

PS4 pros
Digital sales and subscription rewards are better
Most multiplatform games run better on PS4
More people online to play against for multiplatform games

Xbox One pros
Allows for external storage
Between PS4 games selling out sooner and MS Store promotions physical games are often cheaper

PS4 for me

Music 11-18-16 01:24 PM

Nintendo Switch

Dan 11-18-16 01:38 PM

Based on the games Deb seems to like, I'd recommend just sticking with the PC you already have. There's some great exclusives for both the PS4 and Xbox One, but if those games aren't your style, then I don't see why you'd force yourself to buy either one.

Spend that cash on more PC or 3DS games.