Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 03-31-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Bacon
how is it? as good as Yoshi's Woolly World? better? worse?
Played a couple hours, but as Questyen has finished it and said above, I agree that Woolly World is the better game.
It's certainly fun and charming, but I felt a little disconnected while playing. Not sure if it's worth the $60 price tag, but then N games rarely, if ever, get discounted.
Though the main negative for me so far is that the music kinda sucks - very repetitive, kinda lame and rather annoying. But besides that, an overall quality platforming game.
Old 03-31-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison
I grabbed this since I hadn't signed up yet. Looks like you have to still be an active Twitch Prime member after 60 days then you can claim the other 9 months.
I hope someone bumps this thread in 60 days so I will remember to claim it.
Old 04-01-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Played a couple hours, but as Questyen has finished it and said above, I agree that Woolly World is the better game.
I'm feeling the same way. I'm really enjoying it, although I'm not quite as bowled over the way I was with Woolly World. It does seem much more couch co-op friendly than the previous game, with the unlimited eggs and the ability to let one person jump while the other just shoots. (My wife was charmed by Woolly World, but platforming isn't her thing, so this will be more fun for us to play together.)

Although I did 100% Woolly World, I'm not sure I'm going to do that this time. There's just waaaaaay too much, between the flowers, red coins, the health challenges, the pups, and the multiple scavenger hunts (with each hunt requiring a different run).
Old 04-10-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

For anyone playing Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid, a new Patch was just recently released, addressing the issue of not being able to block Low Attacks Online (and Offline).
Old 04-19-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

....2nd place in Tetris 99 has been the highlight of a really long week

No way in hell I was beating that guy in 1st though, dude was crazy.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-19-19 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Cuphead is up on the Switch now.
I don't have an X1, so I think I'll go for it.
I love the art style, but it does look way tough/unforgiving.
Though I heard this Switch version may have some sort of easy mode.
Old 04-19-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Cuphead is gorgeous, I just don't like that it's essentially nothing but boss battles. It's a world I'd actually want to play in.
Old 04-25-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Now there is talk of a "kid friendly" Mini Switch and sadly, the other new Switch will not be more powerful than the one that's out now. For the life of me, I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't come out with a powerful console to compete with Microsoft and Sony's systems.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/0...-as-this-june/
Old 04-25-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Now there is talk of a "kid friendly" Mini Switch and sadly, the other new Switch will not be more powerful than the one that's out now. For the life of me, I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't come out with a powerful console to compete with Microsoft and Sony's systems.

I wouldn't expect to ever see a dedicated console from Nintendo again. IMO everything from here will be portable. That's their market; especially overseas.
Old 04-25-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

... For the life of me, I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't come out with a powerful console to compete with Microsoft and Sony's systems.
Then you don't know Nintendo.
Old 04-25-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

For the life of me, I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't come out with a powerful console to compete with Microsoft and Sony's systems.
Nintendo is better off placing first in their own race rather than placing third in someone else's.
Old 04-25-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Wait, what? Even an upgraded switch wouldn't be as powerful as the PS4/One. Even if they wanted to spend the money on R&D and manufacturing to compete at that level, that would fracture the userbase. And unlike Sony and Microsoft, they can't really afford for their games division to take a loss.
Old 04-25-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I wouldn't expect to ever see a dedicated console from Nintendo again. IMO everything from here will be portable. That's their market; especially overseas.
Being that these game/watch thingies (below) were one of Nintendo's very first electronic devices, they're just sticking to their roots...

Old 04-25-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Cuphead is gorgeous, I just don't like that it's essentially nothing but boss battles. It's a world I'd actually want to play in.
Absolutely agree. I love old cartoons and was really excited to play this, but when I bought it and it was so brutally difficult, I was extremely disappointed. Probably the most I've ever been disappointed in a game ever since I was a kid.

I'm not opposed as long as it continues to play all the same software. My kid is almost 12 and pretty good with taking game systems on the go, but I still get nervous when he has such a pricey system out (as opposed to a 2Ds or something). I could see families buying a regular and a kidSwitch to have for home and car if the price is right.
Old 04-25-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

June 28th is the release date for Super Mario Maker 2
Was hoping for early June
Old 04-26-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I think I will get that game digitally. Normally I don't care much and just go for whatever is cheaper, but this game seems perfect for quick play sessions of downloaded levels and changing carts back and forth on the Switch is a bit of a pain.
Old 04-26-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't imagine getting any game not digitally, as you can get a huge memory card for super cheap.

I did buy a physical copy of Mario Odyssey, but that was because Target had it on sale for $40. Otherwise, it makes no sense to buy physical versions of game, unless you plan to sell them back after you're done.
Old 05-05-19, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

I can't imagine getting any game not digitally, as you can get a huge memory card for super cheap.

I did buy a physical copy of Mario Odyssey, but that was because Target had it on sale for $40. Otherwise, it makes no sense to buy physical versions of game, unless you plan to sell them back after you're done.
I know there are a lot of pros and cons with digital vs. physical but Nintendo doesn't have a great track record when it comes to digital content. The digital Wii store is already dead will all of that digital content pretty much locked away. Not only that they arbitrarily changed their digital currency so you can't use wii points on the new system. Not so with the Xbox. I know these things don't seem important now but I still enjoy my old Nintendo systems and games and prefer to be able to do that decades from now with current games. I love Nintendo but I just don't trust them with digital content.
Old 05-05-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I can still play all the games I bought off of Wii's virtual store (transferred to the U), so unless the console dies (Nintendo does have a good track record with consoles not dying), the games are still very much playable.
Old 05-05-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Even though Nintendo games go on sale a lot less often, and the eshop has surprisingly had a ton of sales, there are still way more and usually better sales on physical switch games. All the physical games I own are because of sales. Though I do still have GCU so that's a factor.
Old 05-05-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

It makes more sense buying mostly physical on Switch to me. Simply for the fact that a lot of the games are on the cards and not all require downloads. The ones that require downloads usually need more space though and the space on the Switch is limited unless you get a micro SD. I download some of the more indie games digitally.
Old 05-05-19, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
It makes more sense buying mostly physical on Switch to me. Simply for the fact that a lot of the games are on the cards and not all require downloads. The ones that require downloads usually need more space though and the space on the Switch is limited unless you get a micro SD. I download some of the more indie games digitally.
That's why we buy a micro SD card. Here is a 256 GB Micro SD card for
$32.99 $32.99
Old 05-05-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That's why we buy a micro SD card. Here is a 256 GB Micro SD card for $32.99
I’ve got one already (I think it’s 200GB), but that’s mainly backup for bigger games that require some memory (Doom, Mortal Kombat 11, etc.) and for eShop games. Downloading everything is obviously going to take up more space faster. Plus the collector in me is going to want physical releases more often than not. At least with Switch the majority of games play off the game cards with little to actually install as opposed to a lot of Xbox One or PS4 releases where they pretty much require big chunks of HD space for a bunch of games.
Old 05-15-19, 05:32 PM

For those with Nintendo Online subscription :
Limited-time offer:

Save up to $19.99 on two games with Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers

Fans with a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership can purchase a pair of Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers for just $99.99 through July 31, 2019.You can redeem the vouchers for digital versions of select games on Nintendo.com or Nintendo eShop on your system. Vouchers are valid for a year after you purchase, so you could use one voucher now and save another for an upcoming title—or redeem them both right away!See the list of eligible titles >

• Paid Nintendo Switch Online membership required at the time of purchase and redemption of the Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers must be redeemed within 12 months from purchase date, have no cash value and cannot be transferred, returned or redeemed for cash. Each Nintendo Switch Game Voucher may be redeemed for one game offered as part of the catalog. To receive promotional value, at least one Voucher must be redeemed for a game priced at $59.99 or above at time of redemption. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers may not be combined with any other sale, discount, or promotional offer unless otherwise specified.

edit : In addition to the list above, at least three more titles will be eligible : ASTRAL CHAIN, Fire Emblem : Three Houses, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Seems like a no-brainer since I was going to pick up Super Mario Maker 2 and MUA3 at launch anyway and SMM2 had to be digital for me. Purchase made, voucher #1 redeemed for SMM 2!

Last edited by Decker; 05-15-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Well, I can still play all the games I bought off of Wii's virtual store (transferred to the U), so unless the console dies (Nintendo does have a good track record with consoles not dying), the games are still very much playable.
Once the console dies that's it it's gone. With physical media you can just buy another console and have access to all the games again. They should have made it so that you can play those games on the switch. There's no real reason they couldn't have done that. Except now they want you to buy all the games again. Every other digital media outlet once you buy the song/movie you have access to it for as long as the company is still around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.