Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 03-26-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I absolutely needed the pro-controller.
Using the joycons for longer than 15 minutes (especially on controller intensive games like action-platformers, which are the majority of my Switch games), seriously cramped my hands to the point of pain. And my hands aren't huge either, just average man-sized hands.
Old 03-26-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I guess I have fairly big hands and don’t have much of a problem.
Old 03-26-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The Labo sets are getting clearanced out at Target for anyone who has kids. I got a tweet from one of the deal people I follow while we were at breakfast this morning so I mentioned it to my sister and law for my niece and nephew and she stopped on the way home and grabbed all three different sets and they were down to $20 a piece. They were still showing the higher price on the website and brickseek but scanned at $20.
Thank you for the heads up!

Picked up 2 of the Variety Kits for my classroom. Have been working on a few different sets of Curriculum that integrate Video Games as the Medium.

My local store had an end-cap that had the $20.99 prices marked on the shelf.
Old 03-26-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
They closed the preorder bonus for Battle for the Grid a couple of days ago. It's weird, knowing I missed out on it kind of tempts me not to pick it up at launch at all.
I didn't know that. Bummer

I might end up Pre-Ordering it for PS4, as the game releases for the Console the first week of April. That is unless the Pre-Order Bonus was closed for the PS4 as well.
Old 03-26-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I didn't know that. Bummer

I might end up Pre-Ordering it for PS4, as the game releases for the Console the first week of April. That is unless the Pre-Order Bonus was closed for the PS4 as well.
Nope, the PS4 preorder should still be good. this is what you get:
https://battleforthegrid.com/pages/preorder
Old 03-26-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid looks pretty fun but really limited as far as characters and stages. I know there’s a season pass available which a lot of fighting games do, but it’s sort of ridiculous how limited it is.
Old 03-26-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, the PS4 preorder should still be good. this is what you get:
https://battleforthegrid.com/pages/preorder
Thanks for the heads up!

Diggin' the Skins/Alternate Outfits for Green Ranger & Ranger Slayer.

I caved and just bought the game for the Nintendo Switch. I'm impatient at the moment

My Modified MadCatz Arcade Stick works on the Nintendo Switch, so this will be a whole lot of fun.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-26-19 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid looks pretty fun but really limited as far as characters and stages. I know there’s a season pass available which a lot of fighting games do, but it’s sort of ridiculous how limited it is.
Yeah, it's a budget tier game (20 bucks base) with like 9 characters and teams of 3... it's basically bare bones. I don't think they realized how much buzz they would get.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the heads up!

Diggin' the Skins/Alternate Outfits for Green Ranger & Ranger Slayer.

I caved and just bought the game for the Nintendo Switch. I'm impatient at the moment

My Modified MadCatz Arcade Stick works on the Nintendo Switch, so this will be a whole lot of fun.
Because of shenanigans with the preorder I think everyone who buys the deluxe version still gets that extra skin.
Old 03-27-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's a budget tier game (20 bucks base) with like 9 characters and teams of 3... it's basically bare bones. I don't think they realized how much buzz they would get.
Kinda surprising though given that Power Rangers is still a pretty big franchise that they wouldn’t realize there’d be some buzz. Especially since it seemingly is going to cover multiple iterations of the Rangers, and not just a current one or whatever that would have more limited appeal. Even if it would have been like twenty characters to start out I think it would have been a bit better. I know fighting games (and more games in general) rely on DLC now though.
Old 03-27-19, 01:42 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I went ahead and preordered the digital copy of Yoshi. I had some $16 of gold coin credit applied to it and still had around $80 of credit on my account from the discount gift cards I've purchased, so figured what the heck.
Old 03-27-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86

Kinda surprising though given that Power Rangers is still a pretty big franchise that they wouldn’t realize there’d be some buzz. Especially since it seemingly is going to cover multiple iterations of the Rangers, and not just a current one or whatever that would have more limited appeal. Even if it would have been like twenty characters to start out I think it would have been a bit better. I know fighting games (and more games in general) rely on DLC now though.
Well, the last Power Rangers game I can remember was a budget, digital-only beat-em-up for the PS4. And this doesn't even have the just-released new Power Rangers (beast morphers) in it at all, so there's not even cross over appeal, it's more based on the recent comic book run (which is why you have a character like Magna Defender instead of, like, a Blue ranger. I think this company is responsible for the mobile game.
Old 03-27-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this company is responsible for the mobile game.
Yup! nWay is responsible for developing this game as well as the Mobile Game, Power Rangers: Legacy Wars.

The cast is definitely limited for a 3V3 Fighting Game but I'm still having a whole lot of fun with it so far. Getting to play as Ranger Slayer & Lord Drakkon is awesome.

One big issue that nWay is putting in a Patch for right now is the inability to block low Online. With Optimal Combos, characters in this game do massive damage, sometimes 70-80% with zero or (1) Bar. Not being able to block low opens yourself up to all of that.

There were issues with the Pre-Order Codes for Nintendo Switch & XboxOne not working but most of that is fixed thus far. Redemption of the Pre-Order Skins are still an issue on the XboxOne end that nWay is hoping to fix soon.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-28-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Free 3 month subscription to Nintendo Online for Prime Twitter members. Then you can go back and claim the remaining 9 months afterwards, for a full year total

https://slickdeals.net/f/12976018-fr...eSearchV2Algo1
Old 03-28-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shoot, family memberships aren't eligible.
Old 03-29-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have the Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers that you can only purchase online for $60 if you have the membership? I was trying to find out if they are only good with the NES games that come with the membership or if you can use them with other games instead of using the joycons.
Old 03-29-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Does anyone have the Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers that you can only purchase online for $60 if you have the membership? I was trying to find out if they are only good with the NES games that come with the membership or if you can use them with other games instead of using the joycons.
I don't have them, but this hands-on review does mention that you can use them in other games, but the lack of certain buttons limits how well you can play certain games, if at all:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...-authenticity/
The Switch's UI makes it clear that the system sees these replica NES controllers differently from standard Joy-Cons. That said, the system also treats the inputs from the controller just like those from a set of Joy-Cons that just so happen to be missing analog sticks and a few face buttons....

Those inputs are also enough to offer full control over a surprisingly large array of Switch games (sometimes with a bit of menu fiddling). That includes modern platformers like Super Meat Boy and Celeste, puzzle games like Lumines Remastered and Puyo Puyo Tetris, classic re-releases like Ikaruga and Namco Museum, and many more...

That said, a large number of Switch games that are designed with the assumption of analog stick controls—everything from Breath of the Wild to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate—can't be controlled with the NES controllers. Even some games designed for digital directional input require more than the NES controller's four action buttons—games like Dead Cells and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are missing crucial inputs without a full complement of Joy-Con buttons.
Old 03-29-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I was hoping they would work in a crunch when needed. With something like Mario Party, where each person needs their own joycon.
Old 03-29-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. I was hoping they would work in a crunch when needed. With something like Mario Party, where each person needs their own joycon.
Mario Party will only work with joycons.
Old 03-29-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Looking forward to playing the new Yoshi this weekend - mostly positive reviews.
Old 03-29-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well shit
Old 03-29-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I found that out after buying the game. I hate using joy cons with a passion. I wish Nintendo would make all games compatible with a controller.
Old 03-29-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I found that out after buying the game. I hate using joy cons with a passion. I wish Nintendo would make all games compatible with a controller.
They're not doing it just because. The games in Mario Party are made specifically for joycons which can't be done by a pro controller.
Old 03-30-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Just finished up the main story of Yoshi's Crafted World. Really fun and well made platformer. I'd put it a notch or two under Wooly World but that just speaks to how much I loved the previous game. It took about 8 or so hours and now on to my favorite part of these games going after all the collectibles. Just during my normal playthrough I only got all the collectibles on like 4 of the 40+ levels so they're going to take some exploring.
Old 03-31-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Free 3 month subscription to Nintendo Online for Prime Twitter members. Then you can go back and claim the remaining 9 months afterwards, for a full year total

https://slickdeals.net/f/12976018-fr...eSearchV2Algo1
I grabbed this since I hadn't signed up yet. Looks like you have to still be an active Twitch Prime member after 60 days then you can claim the other 9 months.
Old 03-31-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Looking forward to playing the new Yoshi this weekend - mostly positive reviews.
how is it? as good as Yoshi's Woolly World? better? worse?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.