Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a must own. I've now played through it twice on both Wii U and Switch and I love it.
Old 11-28-18, 01:56 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I bought a second switch to give for Christmas (last year I got one for my older daughter, this year for my younger daughter). Is there anything that I need to know beforehand before I give it to her?

I registered the first one to my Nintendo account, bought a bunch of digital games using discounted e-shop cards, downloaded the games, did all of the system updates, etc, so that the Switch was ready to play on Christmas morning.

For the second one, can I also register it to my account? Or let my daughter set it up with her own account information? I don't know if there is any benefit for me to register a second unit, and I'm not sure how it handles buying and downloading duplicate games (will Nintendo allow me to buy two digital copies of Super Smash Bros?).

Just want to make sure I don't make a mistake this time around. I know with the PS4, you still can have two PS4s on one account and share the game library, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't allow that, so I suppose I should keep them on separate accounts.

I ordered a digital copy of the Smash Pass Bundle for $85 on Best Buy to get the $10 rewards credit. I'll probably go ahead and order a second one since that's probably the best deal I'll find.
Old 11-28-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you get a family online plan, I think you can share games in a limited way; basically your "home" console can play all the games you bought on your account from any profile, and the other console can play the games you bought but only when they're logged in as you. I'm not certain how the online saves work in that case, though, if it keeps the different switches distinct or if it syncs your account from both. But in that case you'll want to give the "home" one to your daughter so she can use her own account (with it's own saves) to play.

You'll still want to create an account for her anyway.

I'm not sure if you can play two players together with this method, though. I was ready to buy a second switch until the rumors came out about a revision.
Old 11-28-18, 02:08 PM
Political Exile

Okay, I'll do some more research then.

I don't think my older daughter even played the Zelda or Mario game, she only played Splatoon. It would be nice if my younger daughter (and eventually me when I buy a third system, the revised model that you mentioned) had access to Zelda or Mario without having to buy another copy.
Old 11-28-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://en-americas-support.nintendo...intendo-switch

So it does seem like you can't play the same game on both at the same time:
When using downloadable software on a non-primary console, your game will pause if your Nintendo Account is used to access downloadable software on any other Nintendo Switch console.
Also, I guess you don't even need a nintendo online sub, they just happened to roll it out at the same time. The secondary console does need to be online to do the license check, though.

edited to add: wait, now that I'm reading up on it, it seems like if you do have online and you want to play online with two consoles you can, as long as your primary console is NOT using the account the game was purchased with, and the secondary console is. But that means you can't play three players because the secondary consoles can only use that account.
Old 11-28-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, your timing stinks. Everything just came off sale price in the eshop 1 hour ago.

Of course you should pick up Super Mario Odyssey. It's fabulous.

I hear Celeste is fantastic but super-hard platromer. Just came off sale
Shovel Knight is another fantastic platformer that just came off sale. I hear the unrelated Hollow Knight is also really fun.
Ditto Sonic Mania (Plus).
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'll always recommend Snipperclips as a great puzzle game, at least if you have someone else to play with. It's one of my favorite co-op games this gen.
Originally Posted by The Questyen
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a must own. I've now played through it twice on both Wii U and Switch and I love it.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm definitely eyeing Celeste as I've read good things about both the gameplay and story on that one. I can be patient for sales since I don't have a ton of time to play through games and I already have a $50 GC to burn on games from the deal I got.
Old 11-29-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Nintendo Makes Over Half Its Yearly Revenue In America During The Holidays.

Releasing games during the holidays always seems like a chicken-and-egg scenario to me. Maybe a game released in November would do just as well if it were released in June.

Maybe the main reason it does so well in the fall and winter is because it happens to release there.

Until anyone listens to my rambling hypotheticals, though, it turns out Nintendo actually have hard data that the real money comes in the last few months of the calendar year, something to the tune of 60 percent of their revenue in North America.

In an interview with Yahoo Finance, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime casually drops the number in an effort to emphasize how big holidays are for the company.

“The holiday selling season — October, November and December — critically important to our company,” Reggie told Yahoo Finance. "The Americas are the company’s most successful region by revenue, and the holiday season is the region’s biggest driver.

We typically do, in the Americas, about 60% of our revenue during that time frame. The reason that it’s so significant is first, our products make great gifts."

That means that the months Fils-Aime outlined — October through December — make more than January through September. This isn't incredibly shocking as Christmas is big business, but it it kind of does explain Nintendo's seeming dislike of summer releases once upon a time.

The closer you inch to Christmas, the better chance your game and systems have. That said, the Switch released in March, so maybe placement is not the entire equation.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11...g-the-holidays
Old 11-29-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I bought a second switch to give for Christmas (last year I got one for my older daughter, this year for my younger daughter). Is there anything that I need to know beforehand before I give it to her?
Too funny! I was in the exact same boat as you except swap in sons for daughters and bday for Xmas.

Bought the Mario Kart console bundle for son #2 and a family plan. Still need to setup both.

(and eventually me when I buy a third system, the revised model that you mentioned)
Ditto!
Old 11-29-18, 03:06 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by fujishig
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...intendo-switch

So it does seem like you can't play the same game on both at the same time:

Also, I guess you don't even need a nintendo online sub, they just happened to roll it out at the same time. The secondary console does need to be online to do the license check, though.

edited to add: wait, now that I'm reading up on it, it seems like if you do have online and you want to play online with two consoles you can, as long as your primary console is NOT using the account the game was purchased with, and the secondary console is. But that means you can't play three players because the secondary consoles can only use that account.
I guess I'm still a little confused, but at least for this Christmas, sounds like I should get two copies each of Pokemon Let's Go and Super Smash Bros to allow the both to play at the same time? Pokemon, I was going to get one of each type, Pikachu and Eevee. Super Smash is going to cost a lot more at $85 each for the version with the season pass.

If my younger daughter can play the other games that I've bought previously, that would be great and better than I expected.

My original question though, I can open this new Switch up and link it to my account and download the games beforehand? I don't really want her have to mess with the system for hours after opening the gift before she can play.
Old 11-29-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, open it up and link the switch to your account, should be fine.

So here's how it apparently works (someone else feel free to chime in):

On your primary system, any profile/user on that switch can play your digital games.

On your secondary system, only if you use the profile/user that bought the games can you play the digital title.

So if you give your daughter your original system, she can play all your games from her account. On the second system, you can play all your games but only if you use your own profile and connect to the internet for a license check. If she uses her own profile, she can't play your games on the secondary switch.

If someone is using your account on the original switch and plays a digital game, if you use that same account on a second switch and try to play that game it pauses the game on the first switch. You can't play the same game on a single account on multiple switches. What you can do is have her play, say, Smash Bros on her profile on the primary switch, and you can play on your profile on the secondary switch. But to play online against each other I think you'll still need nintendo online (I'm not sure how local co-op works).

So you really only need one copy of the game, but you have to jump through some hoops.
Old 11-29-18, 06:07 PM
Political Exile

Okay, if it's possible for both of them to play on a single digital copy, I'll hold off buying duplicate digital copies of games until I find out it is necessary.
Old 12-03-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm definitely eyeing Celeste as I've read good things about both the gameplay and story on that one. I can be patient for sales since I don't have a ton of time to play through games and I already have a $50 GC to burn on games from the deal I got.
Just to follow up, I played the demo of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and it seems like a fun puzzle game - I'll probably buy the full game at some point. I used a gift card to pick up Celeste and have played through the first two chapters so far. Outsanding game!

As for the Switch, it's a pretty brilliant design. The ability to play it on my projector in the basement and then grab and play it handeld wherever I want is a killer feature. I have big hands and was a little concerned about the controller ergonomics, but that doesn't seem to be a problem so far.
Old 12-03-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Got my Flip Grip in from Fangamer today. Pretty simple little thing but definitely is going to come in handy for playing arcade games vertically.
Old 12-03-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On your primary system, any profile/user on that switch can play your digital games.

On your secondary system, only if you use the profile/user that bought the games can you play the digital title.
Confirmed. Thanks Fujishiq!

So if you give your daughter your original system, she can play all your games from her account. On the second system, you can play all your games but only if you use your own profile and connect to the internet for a license check. If she uses her own profile, she can't play your games on the secondary switch.
Confirmed again. One, albeit minor, potential snag is if your son/daughter really wants to use their own Nintendo profile to play the game as it won't work under their profile. Not sure why that would be a big deal as there are no trophies/achievements for Switch games. But, it was a big deal to a 7 yr old who was "forced" to use Dad's account.
Old 12-03-18, 03:37 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Gooter
One, albeit minor, potential snag is if your son/daughter really wants to use their own Nintendo profile to play the game as it won't work under their profile. Not sure why that would be a big deal as there are no trophies/achievements for Switch games. But, it was a big deal to a 7 yr old who was "forced" to use Dad's account.
Okay, thinking about it more, I think I have to go ahead and get duplicate copies of Super Smash and Pokemon Let's Go, because having my kids only be able to play one copy at a time might be too restrictive.

And any network play between accounts would require two copies, otherwise, the second person will pause the first person playing the same digital copies.

I think by the time I get a third Switch for myself, there will be less competition for the older games on the system, unless I wanted to play against my kids, then I would have to log into the account that purchased the second copy of that particular game.

The other option would be to get a second physical copy of a game, and keep a primary account for the digital copies.

Perry
Old 12-03-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, thinking about it more, I think I have to go ahead and get duplicate copies of Super Smash and Pokemon Let's Go, because having my kids only be able to play one copy at a time might be too restrictive.

And any network play between accounts would require two copies, otherwise, the second person will pause the first person playing the same digital copies.

I think by the time I get a third Switch for myself, there will be less competition for the older games on the system, unless I wanted to play against my kids, then I would have to log into the account that purchased the second copy of that particular game.

The other option would be to get a second physical copy of a game, and keep a primary account for the digital copies.

Perry
So you can't do this:
Primary switch: play the game under your daughter's profile
secondary switch: play the game under your profile

and network them? People have said it works, did they close that loophole? Because if they did you'll also need to buy the DLC twice.

Note that to play online against each other, you'll still need either two online accounts or one family account.
Old 12-03-18, 03:44 PM
Political Exile

So you can't do this:

and network them? People have said it works, did they close that loophole? Because if they did you'll also need to buy the DLC twice.
Okay, I would like confirmation of this, but what you say sounds like something to try out. I'm feeling a little OldBoy about this right now.

The second switch is a present, but the only urgency was with Best Buy currently offering $10 credit for purchasing Super Smash which I assume will go away when the game is released.
Old 12-03-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I would like confirmation of this, but what you say sounds like something to try out. I'm feeling a little OldBoy about this right now.

The second switch is a present, but the only urgency was with Best Buy currently offering $10 credit for purchasing Super Smash which I assume will go away when the game is released.
I think you only get the 10 credit once anyway, unless you were buying another copy somewhere else (I think Amazon has the same deal, but obviously no GCU).

Oh wait, you were probably buying one digital, nvm.
Old 12-03-18, 04:17 PM
Political Exile

I think you only get the 10 credit once anyway, unless you were buying another copy somewhere else (I think Amazon has the same deal, but obviously no GCU).

Oh wait, you were probably buying one digital, nvm.
Okay, that's a good point.

I'll wait and try your suggestion. My younger daughter is coming back from school in mid-December, so I'll probably just give her the gift right away then, and get it all straightened out a couple weeks before Christmas. She's 23, so it's not like I can spoil Christmas by giving her gift early.
Old 12-03-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not see that coming! I figured this was an in-house family of youngsters!
Old 12-03-18, 07:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Got my Flip Grip in from Fangamer today. Pretty simple little thing but definitely is going to come in handy for playing arcade games vertically.
Ooooo, I need to go check the mail!!!
Old 12-03-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you can't do this:

Note that to play online against each other, you'll still need either two online accounts or one family account.
Online play with both consoles at the same time works using above setup. Tested with Mario Kart since it is the only digital game that we currently own. We have the family online account too.
Old 12-04-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My Switch seems to be dead and won't charge at all. When it's plugged in, either via the dock or directly to an AC adapter or other USB-C cable the screen flashes on every 5 seconds or so with the battery icon on the left hand corner. Holding down power will occasionally briefly flash the Nintendo screen before turning back off. Without the AC adapter in, it does nothing and no matter whether I hold down the power button for awhile or not.

Annoyingly, Nintendo's website won't let me submit an online repair when I enter my serial number and requires I call them. Poop.
Old 12-04-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, did you always leave it in the dock when you were not using it?
Old 12-04-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just curious, did you always leave it in the dock when you were not using it?
Yep, I try to use it portable within 2-ish weeks to cycle the battery though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.