Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Decker
This sort of a statement intrigues me : That you would play an inferior performing game on a Switch due to the "portability and flexibility". To me playing the game at its optimal performance is far more important. Do you game a lot "on the road", or are you bringing your Switch into your bedroom and playing it in bed?
When I first got my Switch in December, I thought that would be my preferred console for multi-system games because of the portability but I soon realized I didn't travel much and could only play so many games on an airplane when I did. Now my Switch is mostly for console exclusives (though I was happy to purchase Yoku's Island Express on it -- great game to play on an airplane).
I'm not faulting you in any way, I'm just curious how much mobile gaming you find yourself doing on the Switch. It would be one thing if you could just throw it in your pocket and go out for the day, but you can't.
I totally get that. This is by no means a bad port. If you're someone who counts frames and demands The Best, then this is probably not the version for you. I can tell you, from my experience, these issues have impacted my gameplay approximately zero times. I think most of the bad word around this version stems from a small group of enthusiasts, as well as online media trying to get clicks on stories centered around the hot game at the moment. When next week's inferior version of whatever comes out, I'm sure we'll hear all about it, and Dead Cells' issues will fall completely off the radar.

This is not the type of game I'm going to want to play when I'm sitting at my desk, where my nice monitor and PC and PS4 are. I feel like, if I'm there with those resources, I'd rather be taking full advantage of them. I'm much more likely to want to play a AAA title or something with an online multiplayer component, and for a much longer stretch. And, more importantly, when I'm on those systems I'm in a different room of the house, typically away from my family, and not as available as I should/could be.

Where the portability comes in to play is when the kids are watching Teen Titans in the TV room and I'm on the couch playing Switch. Or when they're playing in the yard and I'm on the patio playing Switch. Or when my wife is getting them ready for bed in the master bathroom and I'm in our bed playing Switch. Or when the kids are just having quiet time in their room and I can hang out in there too playing Switch. Or when I have time to kill between appointments and I can hang out in my air conditioned car playing Switch.

For me personally, that kind of flexibility has turned out to be wildly valuable, and is worth a few frames per second or a couple dollars more for a port on Switch.

Last edited by lopper; 08-10-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-10-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This sort of a statement intrigues me : That you would play an inferior performing game on a Switch due to the "portability and flexibility". To me playing the game at its optimal performance is far more important. Do you game a lot "on the road", or are you bringing your Switch into your bedroom and playing it in bed?
I'm generally in the same camp you are, but I'd make exceptions for a few types of titles:

1) Pixel art-type games
2) Pick up and play local multiplayer, at least some of the time (I probably wouldn't do something like Rocket League on the Switch, but I could see the allure for something like Overcooked to play with my wife while traveling)
3) JRPGs or anything with a fairly mindless grind (that I could chop away at while watching something else, while my wife is gaming, etc.)
Old 08-13-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

The Nintendo Switch online service costs $20/year, granting access to classic games and long-awaited new features when it lights up in September.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nint...eatures-2018-5

Not bad for twenty bucks a year.
Old 08-13-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

20 bucks a year and still the only way to have voice chat is through a freaking phone app?
Old 08-13-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
20 bucks a year and still the only way to have voice chat is through a freaking phone app?
I just use Skype, its a lot easier TBH
Old 08-13-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

It's ridiculous TBH.
Old 08-14-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:

1. Hopefully it is just sloppy writing but that article stated cloud saves will only be available for some games (though elsewhere in the same article it didn't seem to limit it to only "some").

2. My boys, 6 and 8, are playing a lot more Switch lately. Yay! However, it is causing sharing problems when they both want to play single player games like Zelda. My oldest son also recently said he wants a 2DS XL; why I have no clue (probably saw his friend playing). Instead of buying two of them at $150 each I was thinking it would be better to buy another Switch for $300. This way I'm buying accessories and games for the same eco-system. Though I think I'd have to buy 2 Zelda games since there is no game sharing? Same with Splatoon 2 as I don't think there is couch co-op in that game.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-14-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Two things:

1. Hopefully it is just sloppy writing but that article stated cloud saves will only be available for some games (though elsewhere in the same article it didn't seem to limit it to only "some").
It's been known for a while that cloud saves may not support all games:
https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch...e-cloud-saves/

Originally Posted by Gooter
2. My boys, 6 and 8, are playing a lot more Switch lately. Yay! However, it is causing sharing problems when they both want to play single player games like Zelda. My oldest son also recently said he wants a 2DS XL; why I have no clue (probably saw his friend playing). Instead of buying two of them at $150 each...
Why not buy a single 2DS XL, and the boys have to swap the Switch and 2DS between each other? It's not like they can play two devices at once.
Old 08-14-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Honestly the 3DS/2DS is still worth having if you ask me. Plenty of good games on it that aren’t on Switch. It’s also easier to carry around in your pocket or whatever as much as I like the portability of the Switch.
Old 08-15-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my first Switch game in 2018, Pixeljunk Monsters 2 Deluxe Edition! It's 50% off this week and I loved the first one, so I figured this type of game would be perfect on the platform.
Old 08-15-18, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I bought my first Switch game in 2018, Pixeljunk Monsters 2 Deluxe Edition! It's 50% off this week and I loved the first one, so I figured this type of game would be perfect on the platform.
So how is it? I'm tempted by this and Crypt of the Necromancer on sale right now.
Old 08-15-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it. There is also a demo available if you want to try it before buying it.
Old 08-21-18, 11:39 AM

I just played a little of it this weekend, but I loved Octopath Traveler. It's a beautiful game with a great soundtrack and the battle system is so fun. It might end up as one of my favorite Switch Games and one of my favorites of the year.
Old 08-21-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I like it. There is also a demo available if you want to try it before buying it.
Thanks. I ended up buying that, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Bomb Chicken.

And once again Mario + Rabbids gold edition goes on sale but not the dlc itself.
Old 08-21-18, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig

And once again Mario + Rabbids gold edition goes on sale but not the dlc itself.
That is so friggin' irritating. I just REFUSE to pay for the DLC at full price on principle now.
Old 08-21-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Nintendo ever have DLC go on sale? I remember not ever buying the Mario Kart 8 DLC on Wii U since it never went on sale. And I wasn't about to spend $20 on DLC when I only spent $30 on the full game.
Old 08-24-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, Hollow Knight is on sale already? Also Yoku's Island Express.
Old 08-24-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Sweet, the only two digital Switch games I already bought. Oh well, they were both a ton of fun, and Hollow Knight still has free content coming out.
Old 08-24-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I ended up buying Hollow Knight.
Old 08-24-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I ended up really liking Hollow Knight for about 10 hours or so, but I reached a boss battle that I just couldn't get past. I had both the boss and my ghost, which appears at the place you died, simultaneously attacking me, and I couldn't damage and/or heal fast enough to make any progress. I think it was a glitch (ghost should only appear near boss area, not right next to them), and maybe they patched it out, but I'm over it now.

Still for this price it's a steal.

And Dead Cells is just tremendous. At 50+ hours, it's easily my most played Switch game yet. I didn't even play BOTW for this long.
Old 08-24-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, sometimes it can be a pain to try to lure your ghost away from a boss. If you have a ranged attack, that can work.

And some of the boss battles are really tough. A few I've just had to mark on the map and come back when I was stronger.
Old 08-26-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

If anyone is looking to pick up a physical copy of "Dead Cells" Amazon has it discounted to $30. I believe that makes it only $5 more than the digital version.
Old 08-28-18, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I really dig the Smash Bros Pro Controller.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...lbook-revealed

Old 08-28-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Is there a reason why Smash Bros uses the Fantastic 4 logo?
Old 08-28-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I really dig the Smash Bros Pro Controller.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...lbook-revealed

I saw that yesterday. I definitely want one of those.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.