Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Does this mean stuff created on the Xbox Minecraft is playable on the Switch one? I'm not overly familiar with how saving things works, but that's actually a great way to advertise "Take all the shit you built on the Xbox on the road with you."
Old 06-21-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know much about Minecraft since i've never played, but this Twitter exchange is amusing. Click to read the first few responses from Xbox, Minecraft, and Nintendo.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-22-18, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know much about Minecraft since i've never played, but this Twitter exchange is amusing. Click to read the first few responses from Xbox, Minecraft, and Nintendo.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-22-18, 12:56 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

We got notified this morning on the Switch that a free update was available for download that adds the connectivity with the Xbox.

The kids are ecstatic.
Old 06-22-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
We got notified this morning on the Switch that a free update was available for download that adds the connectivity with the Xbox.

The kids are ecstatic.
I think you have to login to the old game to sync up, but there should be a new game that you can download for free.
Old 06-22-18, 02:54 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think you have to login to the old game to sync up, but there should be a new game that you can download for free.
You're right... it was a free (separate) game.
Old 06-22-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh my god, adventure mode in Mario Tennis Aces is bullshit but you need to do it to unlock courses and stuff.

The adventure mode has you try tennis skills to do stuff (like hit fireballs back at 30 piranha plants under a time limit) but the damn "special shot" that you have to time just right is almost impossible. Before you get a chance to finish, the game throws a special shot at you and your racket breaks. Automatic game over.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 06-22-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Sounds like I made the right choice to pass on Mario Tennis.

I mentioned it in the Pinball thread, but for those that don't check it, Yoku Island Express is a FANTASTIC Metroidvania pinball platformer. Such a fun game and perfect to play on the go. I played it on my entire plane flight.
Old 06-22-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Anyone else purchase Hollow Knight? It is 15 bucks. I just downloaded it but haven't had a chance to give it a go.
Old 06-23-18, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Heads-up :

Fangamer and Retronauts announced a new Kickstarter for the Flip Grip, which is $12. It's a grip to make it easier to play arcade games on the Switch with the tablet in Tate mode for those that support it, which they have a list of them on the KS page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip
Old 06-23-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, someone else posted that earlier. I put in for one. Should make playing arcade style games easier.

I received my copy of Mario Tennis Aces from Amazon yesterday but haven’t popped it in yet.

Also I saw that PowerA is releasing a GameCube style controller for Switch for some Smash fans that still prefer it.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-23-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can just use an actual GameCube controller if you happen to have the adapter they sold for the Wii U.
Old 06-23-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can just use an actual GameCube controller if you happen to have the adapter they sold for the Wii U.
Yeah, I don’t have that. Unless they release one for Switch. Even still I never had a GameCube so don’t have a controller. I just know that it’s popular for Smash. I might pick it up depending on reviews and price.
Old 06-23-18, 06:15 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Maybe it's been posted already, but it looks like pretty much all games are 30% off at Target
Target 30% off sale
Old 06-23-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Maybe it's been posted already, but it looks like pretty much all games are 30% off at Target
Target 30% off sale
To get 30% off a current game, you have to pre-order a full price game in the same transaction. Still a good deal though.
I am tempted to pre-order Octopath Traveler and get Disgaea 5 for $28.
Old 06-23-18, 08:13 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
To get 30% off a current game, you have to pre-order a full price game in the same transaction. Still a good deal though.
I am tempted to pre-order Octopath Traveler and get Disgaea 5 for $28.
Ah, seemed to good to be true. I got the deal via email but didn't notice the asterisk.
Old 06-25-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Heads-up :

Fangamer and Retronauts announced a new Kickstarter for the Flip Grip, which is $12. It's a grip to make it easier to play arcade games on the Switch with the tablet in Tate mode for those that support it, which they have a list of them on the KS page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip
Ikaruga and Strikers are gonna play perfectly in that!
Old 06-25-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Oh my god, adventure mode in Mario Tennis Aces is bullshit but you need to do it to unlock courses and stuff.

The adventure mode has you try tennis skills to do stuff (like hit fireballs back at 30 piranha plants under a time limit) but the damn "special shot" that you have to time just right is almost impossible. Before you get a chance to finish, the game throws a special shot at you and your racket breaks. Automatic game over.
Yeah even with the slowdown move I have a really tough time gauging the special shot. I don't know if it's something I'll always stink at or if I'll get better over time but it is a little ridiculous that I sometimes intentionally just let it whiz by instead of breaking my racket, which will cause a game over.

It's a game built around multiplayer, and I feel like they had to release it now before they start charging for online because otherwise there would've been even more uproar.

And it's hard for me to tell if they just tacked on single player last minute or if they designed this to have a single player but rushed it out. Single player has this rpg like experience but none of that carries over to multiplayer and I have no idea why they implemented it on such a short mode.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-25-18 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh speaking of shmups; Not sure if this game is on anyone's radar, but it seems it is getting a VERY limited physical release through play-asia.

Trailer

Order here
https://www.play-asia.com/dimension-...tion/13/70c40t
Old 06-25-18, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah even with the slowdown move I have a really tough time gauging the special shot. I don't know if it's something I'll always stink at or if I'll get better over time but it is a little ridiculous that I sometimes intentionally just let it whiz by instead of breaking my racket, which will cause a game over.

It's a game built around multiplayer, and I feel like they had to release it now before they start charging for online because otherwise there would've been even more uproar.

And it's hard for me to tell if they just tacked on single player last minute or if they designed this to have a single player but rushed it out. Single player has this rpg like experience but none of that carries over to multiplayer and I have no idea why they implemented it on such a short mode.

Yeah, the single player experience seems tacked on. I played the demo and thought it was okay. My kids love multiplayer and I'm just playing to help them unlock some courts. Apparently to unlock more charcters you have to earn points in tournaments like the demo.
Old 06-25-18, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

You don’t have to earn points to unlock, you just have to participate in the monthly tournament. And if you don’t participate, you’ll get the character the following month anyway.
Old 06-25-18, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys what do you prefer is the best thing to buy? PS4, Xbox360 or Nintendo?
Old 06-25-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Is this an Oldboy alt?
Old 06-25-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve been off and on playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on just regular difficulty and man what a challenging game. I’m only to the boss for World 2 and if it’s this hard early on I’m curious how it’s going to be later. Pretty fun game but also can be frustrating.
Old 06-25-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’ve been off and on playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on just regular difficulty and man what a challenging game.
I felt much the same way on the Wii U. I got frustrated enough that I put Tropical Freeze on the shelf where it sat for something close to a full year. When I picked it up again, I unexpectedly breezed through the rest of it. Don't be afraid to buy banana juice and heart boosts, which does make the game a whole lot easier. Maybe go into a level for the first time thinking of it as more of a recon, and if there's a part where you're having a tough time, buy some power-ups.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.