Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Skyrim and LA Noir are 6 years old. Is the appeal the mobility?
Skyrim was remastered / reissued this time last year on the XB1/PS4/PC, and L.A. Noire is being remastered for other platforms as well. These aren’t Switch-specific efforts.

The broader point of “current multiplatform ports are few and far between” remains worth noting, of course, but I don’t think this is the same thing as the outdated ports on the Wii U’s launch either.
Old 10-24-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I'd rather the Switch get games built for it than ports, anyway. The 3DS has shovelware, true, but a lot of great 3rd party games. My big hope is Japan, which doesn't really put as much of a premium on next gen graphics and put out a crapton of exclusive content for the 3DS (mainly JRPGs, admittedly). I know SMT V is already coming.
Old 10-24-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'd rather the Switch get games built for it than ports, anyway. The 3DS has shovelware, true, but a lot of great 3rd party games. My big hope is Japan, which doesn't really put as much of a premium on next gen graphics and put out a crapton of exclusive content for the 3DS (mainly JRPGs, admittedly). I know SMT V is already coming.
Exactly.
Old 10-24-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I agree but still ports of big titles do help in my opinion. I also think like I mentioned before that some of these ported titles may be testing the waters for how well games run on Switch and may lead to new games or at least concurrent releases of future games on all major platforms including Switch.
Old 10-25-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Noticed a shelf tag at a local Target for the "Nintendo Switch Super Mario Odyssey Edition" for $365. Interesting, as it seems to be listed at $380 at BestBuy.com and Target.com.
Old 10-25-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Did we not complain for the entirety of the Wii and WiiU lifespans that they needed more ports in order to bring in customers outside of the Nintendo sphere?

Even if they're not new, they still tell those people that Nintendo is willing to allow those types of games on their systems.
Old 10-25-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. I don’t get the bitching frankly. I think if anything this opens the door for more third party developers to get on board with Switch and produce games for it. It’s not like we’re talking about ports of shitty games or something either. Most of what I mentioned were acclaimed and popular titles. Two of which (LA Noire and Skyrim) either were or are being ported to PS4/One and one of which is only a year old (Doom). A little old or not I don’t see the difference.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-25-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most people would rather see a new IP or an exclusive game from a bigger studio (Rockstar or Bethesda in that case) for the Switch than a port of an old game. I will give Bethesda credit though for bringing over Wolfenstein (and even DOOM since that is only a year old). I'm a little surprised Rockstar didn't port the PS3/360 version of GTAV over since they love money.

Either way I still think the Switch is off to a better start than the Wii U. Having a new Zelda, Splatoon, and two Mario games in the first year is pretty damn good.
Old 10-25-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I just hope they don't go only by the sales of rehashed ports to decide whether to support the Switch with new content. I have no idea how SF2 sold but I hope Capcom doesn't use that as a barometer for how fighting games are received on the Switch.

Switch is definitely off to a better start, even though I consider Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Zelda as basically ports that could have been done on the last gen. But as an owner of multiple systems I haven't found a game yet that was that much more compelling on the Switch. I was really tempted by NBA 2k but just have no confidence in Nintendo's online for a game that forces you to be online all the time (which also kills portability outside the home.)
Old 10-25-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Did we not complain for the entirety of the Wii and WiiU lifespans that they needed more ports in order to bring in customers outside of the Nintendo sphere? .
Ports of current gen games. Not ports of a previous generation because Nintendo hardware couldn't run them at the time.
Old 10-25-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Since we're talking ports & remasters, how 'bout some Metroid Prime love? Popped that in to play with my daughter for the first time and, 1. Eff the wiimote. I don't know why but I thought I'd be able to use the pro controller 2. It's looking pretty haggard in all its 480p glory.
Old 10-26-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

With kids and alot of travel I have missed alot of games over the last couple of years because I don't have time to sit down at a TV and play. For me the Switch is the system I have wanted since the late 90s when the Sony released a small screen for the PS1 and I saw the possibility. Vita came close with its power but was never supported properly. The switch is the perfect system, a completely mobile gaming system that loses little in its transition from big screen to small. So yes, these ports are amazing to me and I can't wait to play Skyrim and maybe LA Noire down the line. Now if only EA and NCAA could work something out for another NCAA Football game I would be over the moon.
Old 10-26-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Since we're talking ports & remasters, how 'bout some Metroid Prime love? Popped that in to play with my daughter for the first time and, 1. Eff the wiimote. I don't know why but I thought I'd be able to use the pro controller 2. It's looking pretty haggard in all its 480p glory.
I only played it on the GameCube, but I would love to see it remastered with the option for a more standard FPS control layout.
Old 10-27-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I only played it on the GameCube, but I would love to see it remastered with the option for a more standard FPS control layout.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is work being done on the first three Metroid Prime games to be remastered in HD for a compilation for next year when Metroid Prime 4 comes out.
Old 10-30-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Total Nintendo Switch Sales Might Surpass The Wii U's By Next April.

As of September 30, Nintendo has sold 13.56 million Wii U consoles worldwide since it was released in 2012. By next April, the Kyoto-based game company is forecasting that it will have sold 14 million Switches.

The Nintendo Switch launched on March 3 of this year, so by April 2018, the hardware will have been out for slightly more than in a year.

According to Reuters, Nintendo is raising its Switch sales forecast from 10 million units to 14 million. Meaning? In that time, it’s possible that the Switch will surpass the Wii U’s life-to-date global sales numbers.

https://kotaku.com/total-nintendo-sw...ium=Socialflow
Old 10-30-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Good luck to them, I've seen mountains of Switches in stock lately so they've definitely figured supply out.
Old 10-30-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They should easily be able to outsell the PS4 & XB1 this holiday season if they can keep the things in stock.
Old 11-03-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo doesn't seem to realize that November 7th is a Tuesday, but otherwise, this is worth noting:

Old 11-03-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm excited. I've already got my Amazon Prime pre-order in.
Old 11-04-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Got Mario Odyssey cheap on a now dead deal. Now to get a Switch.
Old 11-06-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Got Mario Odyssey cheap on a now dead deal. Now to get a Switch.
So how "cheap" did you get it for and from who? Thx
Old 11-06-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why LA Noire isn’t up for pre-order on Amazon yet. It comes out soon and I’d like to get it there because of the Prime discount plus I have a gift card I could use.
Old 11-06-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1
So how "cheap" did you get it for and from who? Thx
It ended up being a little over 35 from Toys R Us via a cart glitch (assuming it works) and also used a certificate on top of that.
Old 11-06-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
It ended up being a little over 35 from Toys R Us via a cart glitch (assuming it works) and also used a certificate on top of that.
Great score, hope it works out. If so BF early for you.
Old 11-07-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I haven't watched the Xenoblade 2 Direct yet, but I did spot this:

In Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Blades are artificial lifeforms that bond with Drivers to lend them their weapons and powers in battle. Main character Rex is a Driver and Pyra is a Blade. To help familiarize fans with main character Rex before the game launches, a new Side Quest will be available via a free update in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for both Nintendo Switch and Wii U systems, in which players will be able to obtain a Rex costume starting on Nov. 9.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.