Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Got a nasty bug in Golf Story. In the area after leaving the main golf course (the short Par 3 course) during the second hole, the screen will go completely black but the music will still play. This is during portable. Have not tried it docked. This has occurred twice. Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-08-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I finally took the plunge and got one on EBay. It looks like before all the craze of Mario starts to happen the prices are coming down. Thanks most likely to the stock that is filling the shelves since I cannot recall now for over a month now of going into my Target and not seeing at least one in stock. Once I sell the copy of Arms I got in the auction it will end up being about $280 for the system and Zelda that came with it. Now I just got to work on getting a good price on a Pro controller. Figure I'll grab Mario sometime during the holidays as guessing somewhere it will be less than the $48 after GCU at Best Buy. Zelda should keep me busy until then.
Old 10-08-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

If you always see them in stock at Target, why buy one off eBay?
Old 10-08-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If you always see them in stock at Target, why buy one off eBay?
According to his post he got it cheaper than retail and with a game.
Old 10-08-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm gonna blame that on early morning reading comprehension issues.
Old 10-08-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm gonna blame that on early morning reading comprehension issues.
Lol, yeah was going to wait to see if I could get a good bundle price during BF but imagine will be tough to beat the price I got or if I could it would probably so limited would not be easy to get anyways.
Old 10-08-17, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been curious about the Switch since before day one, being a longtime fan and collector of Big N handhelds. I bought my first Graybrick at age 15 and it's been an outstanding run, endless enjoyment.

You can go ahead and keep their home consoles post-SNES, though. I've got a bit of love for the GC, but only because it's got an unprecedented six Resident Evil titles.
Plus, the decks are funky in a utilitarian way, and those discs are cute.
Old 10-11-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the Pro controller, is there anything special about the charging cable?Looking at getting the controller, but on some auctions it states no cable and then someone is selling the cable that specifically comes with the controller for a crazy amount. Trying to get the controller but without spending more than $50. I know, I'm cheap but the only way I can truly keep doing this fun hobby
Old 10-11-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

You should be able to use any USB-A->USB-C cable to charge it, and those are generally pretty cheap, especially if you don't care about playing while you charge. Doing some quick searching, Amazon has a 3 ft. cable with solid reviews for $5.99. The battery in the Pro doesn't need to be charged that often either.

If you want to be super-frugal, don't buy a cable at all. You can actually use the Nintendo Switch's AC adapter to charge the controller. (The AC adapter uses USB-C too.)
Old 10-11-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thx Adam, yeah I wondered about that about the cable that comes with the system. Buy figured I could go with something relatively on the cheap compared to what people are trying to get for the "OFFICIAL" one it comes with. Should help me save some money on the controller.

I assume from what I hear it is totally worth it to get compared to the set-up out of the box? I am using the "controller" alright with Zelda but it is definitely not that comfortable.
Old 10-11-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The pro controller is a must if you plan on mainly playing it docked. I couldn't go back to playing with the joycons at this point.
Old 10-11-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You do have other options that aren't as expensive!

http://www.8bitdo.com/n30pro-f30pro/

oh and 15 days!!!

The last time a Nintendo character had a choreographed dance number, was A Link to the Past...oh what the hell for reference!!

Old 10-13-17, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love all of the whacky lands and characters in that Super Mario Odyssey trailer. It reminds me of when Super Mario 3 came out as a kid. There's just so much personality to it, even compared to previous Mario games.
Old 10-13-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else looking to get the Pro controller or an extra I just scooped one up for $37 on EBay. Seller has only 6 left, comes with the cable as well. States it is seller refurbished, feedback all positive from others that got a controller from them.
Old 10-13-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know if anyone's playing Stardew Valley on Switch, but it's excellent. It's been a great game to play while I'm in the car waiting for the kids to get out of school, or for a quick 20 minute session before bed.

A lot of people are claiming it's a bad port because save times are on the long side and the menus are at best clunky, and at worst very difficult to use. But you can change the controls to give you an actual mouse cursor which makes selecting menu options much much easier.
Old 10-13-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I was thinking about getting Stardew Valley at some point. I've also heard that Golf Story is pretty good.

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Anyone else looking to get the Pro controller or an extra I just scooped one up for $37 on EBay. Seller has only 6 left, comes with the cable as well. States it is seller refurbished, feedback all positive from others that got a controller from them.
Do you have the link by chance? Might be interested at that price.
Old 10-13-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tons of people are losing their saves on Stardew Valley on the Switch which is a far bigger issue than any performance stuff.

Same thing is happening with people and Golf Story so I'll hold off on that until it gets patched.
Old 10-13-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Tons of people are losing their saves on Stardew Valley on the Switch which is a far bigger issue than any performance stuff.

I've heard about that, but it's never sounded like it was really that widespread. I'd already bought the game before hearing about it, and don't know if it would've made a difference either way.

I'm still a little salty about it though. I'm reading through Blood Sweat and Pixels (good book, btw) and there's a chapter on Stardew Valley. Tells the story about how one guy developed this game by himself over several years, yadda yadda yadda, now he's a multi-millionaire.

How about you invest some of that money into improving the console port? I've heard the PS4 and Xbox versions are a little janky, too. They did an AMA the other day on Reddit and basically said, "yeah, we know there's bugs, but we don't know when/if we're going to address them." That stinks.
Old 10-13-17, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My son dropped his week-old system on the corner of the coffee table. The amFilm screen protector shattered, but it did protect the Switch.
Old 10-13-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
My son dropped his week-old system on the corner of the coffee table. The amFilm screen protector shattered, but it did protect the Switch.
Nintendium, when you absolutely need your system to survive random acts of childhood, accept no substitutes.
Old 10-14-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just won a Switch from one of those dollar eating machines at an arcade. It gave its tell that it was ready to spit out the prize with my first $1 probe....then it took just one more shot to win the Switch! Not bad at all! I wish I'd read about the Golf trick before setting it up. Oops.
Old 10-14-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

That is amazing! Congrats!
Old 10-14-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn! That's sweet. A friend of mine just won one of those $100 gift cards from Gamestop from doing the survey on the back of the receipt. I figured all those things were bogus.

Switch question: is there a daily log that tracks your gameplay like on the WiiU? I really like that feature and wish all the consoles had something similar.
Old 10-14-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

There's a log of games you've been playing. It summarizes approximately how long you've played and also goes over the last game played.
Old 10-15-17, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Just won a Switch from one of those dollar eating machines at an arcade. It gave its tell that it was ready to spit out the prize with my first $1 probe....then it took just one more shot to win the Switch! Not bad at all! I wish I'd read about the Golf trick before setting it up. Oops.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.