Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So I was walking through Walmart last night and spotted the Splatoon switch controller in the clearance section. Wasn't much of a clearance ($65) but after I saw that they were going for almost $100 on Amazon, I picked it up just in case. I don't think I'm ready to drop $380 on that Splatoon bundle, but I'll at least hold on to the controller for a bit in case I change my mind
Well, we were at Target today and they had four in stock, and only one was the neon bundle, so we picked it up. Luckily we were able to save 10% between red card & cartwheel, so that eased the pain a little.

I'm going to buy a few accessories before taking it out of the box and the kids get their hands on it. What kind of case and screen protector would you guys recommend?
Old 09-17-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I have this case by RDS Industries. It's pretty basic as far as colors go but is officially licensed. It's also quite sturdy and form fits the tablet plus Joy Cons and has a protective pad for the screen. It also comes with a couple storage cases for games/memory cards. Seems pretty standard at Walmart and Target and is only around $20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9JB2U..._ZVWVzbK4E2VHY
Old 09-17-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

For those (like me) who wanted a physical release of Wonder Boy....IT'S HAPPENING!!!

pre-order here
http://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-...uage/13/70bi83
Old 09-18-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Surprised at the lack of Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle talk in here. It's pretty much the only big single player game since the launch of the system and has great reviews.

Love this game. I play it pretty much daily, usually for just one or two battles. Just started world 3 today. The game is surprisingly difficult sometimes but its still an ton of fun.
Old 09-20-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I originally wanted this...

https://www.play-asia.com/armed-blue...tion/13/70b74n

but it's getting a physical release on Halloween!

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/azure-str...america-europe

Also if you are a fan of River City Ransom (like me) check this out!

Old 09-22-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple days old but kind of a cool tribute by Nintendo to Iwata.
Hackers Say Nintendo Switch Contains A Game That Unlocks On The Date Of Satoru Iwata's Death

Cecilia D'Anastasio
Wednesday 1:30pm

When a Switch owner named Setery told a gaming forum about how NES Golf randomly appeared on her Switch’s screen, commenters accused her console of being haunted. Switch hackers’ subsequent race to unearth NES Golf now indicates that there’s a hidden game on the console and, actually, it appears to be a heartwarming tribute to the deceased Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata.

Iwata was a Nintendo icon, a demigod in the gaming world after his face accompanied online Nintendo Direct press conferences for years. Prior to heading Nintendo, Iwata was a programmer, working on games like EarthBound, Pokemon and Super Smash Bros. The story goes that, after several developers turned down the task of developing the NES’s Golf, Iwata found a way to fit the game’s 18-hole course onto a cartridge’s modest memory.

On July 11th, 2015, Iwata succumbed to cancer at age 55. As Nintendo CEO, Iwata was known for his “Iwata Asks” column on Nintendo’s website and his appearances at major Nintendo events. Thanks to Nintendo Directs, he also became associated with a very specific gesture:

Fast forward to early summer, 2017, when hackers discovered a hidden NES emulator on the Switch referred to as “Flog,” Ars Technica reports. “We thought they had included it during manufacturing by mistake,” Plutoo, one of the Switch hackers who coordinated similar stunts over a private IRC, told me over Twitter direct messages. “But when we [dug] deeper, we found there was some suspicious code in the ‘Home Menu.’” Last weekend, bored, Plutoo decided to look into it. He says he discovered two intriguing details: “The code looked for the date July 11th, and the code right before seemed to enable the ‘Joycon sixaxis’ motion sensors.”

Apparently, the code was telling Pluuto that a Joy-Con-enabled “secret handshake,” in his words, unlocked something on July 11th on the Switch’s home screen. And the motion laid out in the code’s numbers, he said, appeared to match Iwata’s famous Nintendo Direct gesture. Pluuto and his co-conspirators knew that July 11th was the day Iwata passed away, and also that he programmed NES Golf back in the ‘80s. Also, obviously, that “Flog” is “golf” spelled backwards.

Here’s the problem: The Switch knows what day it is. As long as the Switch has been connected to the internet and updated, users can’t seem to fool the system into thinking it’s the day that will trigger Golf to appear. An internet user going by Fiskerdin, who follows the Switch hacking scene and was familiar with the Golf rumors, happened to have an unboxed Switch lying around his house (he preferred his Blue/Red Joy-Cons to the Grey ones he pre-ordered). “I booted the unopened Switch up, did the setup procedure, and decided to try it out the gesture which was posted,” he explained over e-mail. “I simply put both Joy-cons parallel to each other and pointed towards the ground, then raised them in a vertical position and waited, the screen turned blank, an audible cue was played, and then I was greeted with the Golf menu.”

Several other Switch users have posted pictures of Golf’s home screen on their console. But while there are about half a dozen published images of this hidden tribute to Iwata, Nintendo has yet to confirm it and has not responded to multiple requests for comment. We also don’t know whether Golf will be available on July 11th, 2018.

That said, there is a very convincing video of someone getting Golf to work on a Switch:

Hearing about the memorial, Kotaku East reporter Brian Ashcraft pointed me to the the Japanese tradition of Omamori, which refers to “guide or protect.” Traditionally, they are talismans made of silk and paper left at shrines. Now, they’re made out of all sorts of things, like toys or memory cards, which could help protect digital security. They channel spirits who will help guide the Omomori-owner. It’s possible that somebody at Nintendo coded an NES emulator and Golf into the Switch—and every Switch—so Iwata’s spirit could shepherd the console to success. So, maybe Setery was right—it was a ghost.
https://kotaku.com/hackers-say-ninte...-on-1818587767
Old 09-22-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up my first Switch game today, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

For a split second I was thinking about Zelda and Mario Kart, but since I have both of those on Wii U, I guess I'll pass unless they become a Nintendo Select title or something in the future.

Is there enough single player stuff to do in Splatoon 2? I'm not planning on joining the online service when it launches early next year, so I don't want to drop $60 for a game I can only play online for the next couple months for free.
Old 09-25-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Picked up Rabbids after hearing a few compliments. The game really is a little gem. Plus the gameplay style works well with the portability of the device.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-25-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Friendly reminder the Hamster port of Mario Bros. drops tomorrow. 7.99

Old 09-27-17, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

$7.99 is a joke.
Old 09-27-17, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
$7.99 is a joke.
I missed the punchline buying my points card.
Old 09-27-17, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

So, aside from Mario Bros. and Punch Out, these Hamster releases are just NES games that were altered so they would eat more quarters in the arcade?
Old 09-27-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zero
I missed the punchline buying my points card.

$7.99 for what now amounts to the mini-game from Super Mario Bros 3 seems excessive to me. But it's cool they're getting released, we need more Koopas in wife beaters.
Old 09-27-17, 08:39 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

are these ports of the arcade version though? If they can port the (vertical) arcade versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr, that would be amazing.
Old 09-27-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
are these ports of the arcade version though?
Yup.

Originally Posted by PerryD
If they can port the (vertical) arcade versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr, that would be amazing.
Because the legal wranglings with Ikegami Tsushinki, arcade ports of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. aren't on the table. VC releases of other versions (like the NES) are okay since they don't use Ikegami Tsushinki's code, but the arcade versions have some legal red tape that Nintendo doesn't seem to want to cut through.
Old 09-27-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be more likely to buy these if they were bundled together for a larger price rather than paying $7.99 a piece.
Old 09-27-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Hamster has been doing these Arcade releases for years now on PS4, XB1 and now Switch and they've been doing well for them at that price point so I doubt they're going to change it up. They're the same company releasing all the Neo Geo ports.
Old 09-28-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Downloaded the Arcade Archives version of Mario Bros. last night for the hell of it. I'm not sure if I've ever played the game other than the mini game in Super Mario Bros. 3 but have to say it's pretty addicting for being so simplistic. I played quite a while last night.
Old 09-28-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think i'd buy a few if they were $3 or something. $7.99 is way too much for me.
Old 09-28-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think even if it was like $5 the price would seem better. Still though I've gotten some enjoyment out of it and can see myself playing it as a quick time killer now and again.
Old 09-29-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone remember if the Best Buy B2G1 that they usually have in October include Nintendo games or not?
Old 09-29-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't Target usually do a buy two get one free sale around October or November too? I'm not near a Best Buy so not as familiar with their sales.
Old 09-29-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but I'm almost positive that the Target sale excludes Nintendo products. Just like they have a sale going on now. Pre-order any game for a dollar and you get 30% off a new game, except it's only limited to PS4 & XB1.
Old 10-03-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone gotten the NES Golf trick to work? Just purchased a Switch yesterday and wasn't sure if I should bother trying it or not.
Old 10-03-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack
Has anyone gotten the NES Golf trick to work? Just purchased a Switch yesterday and wasn't sure if I should bother trying it or not.
It sounds like the only way it works is if the system is never connected to Internet and is set to the date of Iwata's death. From there you do the motion he was known for but I've heard it has to be done just right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.