Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by slop101
No it's not a preference, but strait up objective fact. Only people who are Nintendo-blind would disagree, or as you call them, "devotees".
GC controller was way too small (I still have the Wavebird, and I can barely get my hand around the handles, and I don't have huge hands, both analog sticks suck for different reasons, the button layout is dumb and the digital pad blows), and the SNES isn't terrible, but it isn't exactly ergonomically designed either, cramping hands for generations.

Face it, Nintendo keeps trying to re-invent the wheel with each generation of controllers, but they keep falling on their face. I'll give them that they're trying to be innovative, but that doesn't mean they're successful.

I love most Nintendo franchises, but I've always hated their controllers.

Based on objective facts alright.

Last edited by orangecrush; 10-24-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
We do know that. It can't ruin anything. You know why? It doesn't exist yet. It is what it is.

Could a traditional home console be more powerful? Absolutely.

Would the next traditional home console from Nintendo be more powerful? History tells us no.

Even if this is just a WiiU as a portable device, it's still better for me than what they've been doing the last 10 years.
To your points.

Yes, you are correct it cannot ruin anything. Unfortunately.

Just because history tells us no does not mean it cannot happen.

And to your last point if this is what it turns out to be the case though, how well will this actually do then? Sure it might be great for you, what about gamers in general?
Old 10-24-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Outside the home? (PS4/Vita)
In theory, yes. In reality it doesn't work. You'd have to have a super strong WiFi. I tried it once from my office and could not get it to work beyond browsing menus. Forget bringing it on vacation and using Hotel WiFi or at your local Starbucks.
Old 10-24-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I agree with the poster who said this is what the Wii U should have been when it was first released. Having a seven year old at home, i'm glad that you can play games on the tablet and it frees up the tv to watch sports and other things. I might not get one on launch day, but this will be something I purchase down the road.
Old 10-24-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
My point is that it is at worst a lateral move for a console and a huge step for a portable. And it's wonderful for their library. I can't see it as a bad thing but I don't care for a 4K Nintendo 256 just to play Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pikmin.
In some cases it's a step backwards, since the architecture change means no backwards compatible with their previous library of games. I made a similar comment previously, but I think that if you have zero interest in the portability aspect of this, it's no different from their previous consoles - and given how the Wii U turned out, that's not a good thing. Hopefully their gamble on portable works out for them.

One thing I really hope Nintendo is handling is how they handle their infrastructure though - using essentially the same CPUs as cell phones and tablets means if their development support and online infrastructure is up to part, they could potentially get a ton of great indie support.
Old 10-25-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Also, why the hell doesn't Nintendo do a subscription service like Sony does? They have hundreds of games that people would pay $15 to $20 a month to play.
Because that would require online, and Nintendo thinks that is dark and scary.
Old 10-25-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Because that would require online, and Nintendo thinks that is dark and scary.
Nintendo's had online play for years and years. Their biggest new IP is online-centric, and online connectivity is central to many of their key titles (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., etc.). They have proper accounts now. They have an online rewards system. They have Miiverse and Miitomo, both of which are online social networks. They've made it a point to partner with DeNA to make sure their network/account features will be where they need to be.

By any measure, they took too long to embrace online, and they're miles away from where Sony/Microsoft are and what they offer, but it's ridiculous to pretend that Nintendo is cowering in a corner somewhere at the horrors of all things online.
Old 10-25-16, 10:10 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I will say..if this system really brings their online structure up to xbox/ps4 levels...AND they don't charge for online play/chat this would go a long way in my home. With 3 kids all wanting to play online, it gets expensive buying memberships every year between the xbox/ps4 systems.
Old 10-25-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

As far as the negativity goes, I think most of these new system threads start negatively, with a few cheerleaders here and there. Heck I remember when the DS was announced I said it was really dumb, and I thought the 3ds was even dumber. In my defense the dual screen and 3D gimmicks aren't really that great or even necessary, but the support and the library helped both.

And like I said before, despite my negativity I still bought them at launch. Especially now that I have young kids, Nintendo is where we're at.
Old 10-25-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Regardless of if it's a good console or not, it's gonna live or die by it's software, and there's been little to no announcement on that front. And I'm willing to bet that if they had killer software lined up, they'd be announcing the shit out of it - the fact that they're not, speaks volumes as to Nintendo's continued dearth of killer apps.
Old 10-25-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Regardless of if it's a good console or not, it's gonna live or die by it's software, and there's been little to no announcement on that front. And I'm willing to bet that if they had killer software lined up, they'd be announcing the shit out of it - the fact that they're not, speaks volumes as to Nintendo's continued dearth of killer apps.
Realistically they did not have to announce anything right now. They are riding the fence here. They want to at least announce the system ahead of the holidays for those maybe thinking whether to just go ahead and finally say buy the XB1 or PS4 or wait for this most likely. But at the same time do you want to announce all the games coming and possibly cannibalize your own software sales this holiday for your own systems currently already out? Personally not reading anything into the lack of software announced. And in terms of killer software not announced. They showed their 2 biggest franchises in the video in Zelda and Mario. I get maybe you want to see Metroid and something else, but I'm cool with what they showed the 2 biggest games that I'm concerned about.
Old 10-25-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

And I'm willing to bet that if they had killer software lined up, they'd be announcing the shit out of it - the fact that they're not, speaks volumes as to Nintendo's continued dearth of killer apps.
I think it makes a lot of sense to orient the first look at the Switch around what the console is and how it works.
Old 10-25-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it only had Nintendo IP, I'd be satisfied. I'm sure anyone that already has an XB1 or PS4 will be too.

I don't need Skyrim or Call of Duty on this.

If you're someone that has no current console, then you don't really care about 3rd party software anyway, at least not to the extent that you need the greatest experience.
Old 10-25-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo's had online play for years and years. Their biggest new IP is online-centric, and online connectivity is central to many of their key titles (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., etc.).
Individual games have online play, correct? They still don't have an overarching online structure to their system, last I checked. So it's more like a PS2 in that regard than a PS4.

They have proper accounts now.
Really? A single unified account that tracks everything you buy on all consoles/handhelds? So you don't need to call Nintendo to refund all your purchases if your console dies or if you buy a different console down the line?

Maybe I'm behind on my Big N news, but neither of those things seem right to me. Seems like fixing those would have made a bigger news splash if they were truly solved.

They have Miiverse and Miitomo, both of which are online social networks.
Aren't those for children?

They've made it a point to partner with DeNA to make sure their network/account features will be where they need to be.
Such as?
Old 10-25-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Individual games have online play, correct? They still don't have an overarching online structure to their system, last I checked. So it's more like a PS2 in that regard than a PS4.
When did you last check? 2011?

The Wii U has had a friends list since day one, showing what they're playing, if they're online, etc. You're not entering arcane friend codes on a game-by-game basis like you were in the olden days. There are actual cross-game/cross-platform accounts. I only played the PS2 offline, so I can't speak to those online features. (I was on Xbox Live from day one, though!) Nintendo certainly isn't where Sony and Microsoft are these days -- and it's anyone's guess right now how the Switch will stack up -- but to pretend they're in the dark ages doesn't reflect the current state of things either.

Really? A single unified account that tracks everything you buy on all consoles/handhelds? So you don't need to call Nintendo to refund all your purchases if your console dies or if you buy a different console down the line?
Purchases are tied to your account, not to a device. At least for the Wii U and 3DS, you do still have to contact Nintendo to move your account to another device, which is obviously not the way things should be. Since Nintendo's said very little about the Switch, it's unclear if this will remain the case.

Aren't those for children?
Audible sigh. No.

Such as?
I guess we'll find out more when Nintendo decides to say more about the Switch. Barring a massive overhaul of the Wii U and/or 3DS OSes, Miitomo is the only major Nintendo release that could possibly take advantage so far.
Old 10-25-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They were honest questions, nothing nefarious behind them. Thanks for answering.
Old 10-26-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo confirmed that this'll include launch date and pricing.
Old 10-26-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they announce the presentation further in advance than the presentation will be to launch? Classy.
Old 10-27-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

First post-Switch reveal software announcement?

Koei Tecmo games will bring its Nobunaga’s Ambition series to Nintendo Switch, general producer Kou Shibusawa announced during a “Historical Simulation Game Day” live stream today.

Further details were not announced.
Old 10-27-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I'm pretty sure we can expect some iteration of Musou from them too, they basically release for every system.
Old 11-14-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

From IGN :

Nintendo Switch Price May Have Been Accidentally Revealed
Share.

Pointing to a price point.

By Joe Skrebels

The Canadian arm of Toys R Us may have inadvertently outed the base price of the upcoming Nintendo Switch, briefly listing the hybrid console at $329.99 CAD - roughly £200 UK / $250 USD / $330 AUD. The listing has since been removed.

As spotted by WCCFTech, the potential price is competitive, placing it around the same level as the most basic Xbox One and PS4 units, not to mention on par with the hugely successful Wii's $249.99 USD initial price point - something we suggested in our rundown of the unanswered Nintendo Switch questions.

Old 11-14-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$250 tastes good.
Old 11-14-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$250 sounds good to me. Low enough that keeps me interested even though i'm not too keen on the functionality shown.
Old 11-14-16, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, $250 would be pretty great. I think most were hopeful for $299 at best. We'll see!
Old 11-14-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Happy about $250 if that pans out.

Unhappy about the rumors swirling around Zelda not being a launch title. (The word is that a 3D Mario will be the heavy hitter on day one.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.