Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 04-25-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by lopper
There's nothing at all wrong with that. It's one thousand percent for kids, which I think is why the idea of adults buying this for themselves is bothering me. Seeing that concept manifest in the YouTube videos just exacerbates that irritation for some reason.
Let me tell you : This old man will 100% be checking those You Tube videos to figure out how to assemble this shit.
Old 04-25-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
There's nothing at all wrong with that. It's one thousand percent for kids, which I think is why the idea of adults buying this for themselves is bothering me. Seeing that concept manifest in the YouTube videos just exacerbates that irritation for some reason.

And, as an adult whose desk is littered with Lego, a Lando Calrissian action figure, and other stuff 'for kids', I really have no explanation for why I'm having such a gut reaction to this particular thing.
Legos aren't for kids, wasn't that the story for Lego Movie? Wait, Will Ferrell wasn't the protagonist?

I'm going back to posing my dolls, I mean, Hot Toys. Wait, that sounds weird...
Old 05-02-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

.....OH MY GOD!!!!

/dead

Old 05-02-18, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't see why this merits such attention. It has already received an excellent 360 release. It was priced better then and that was almost exactly ten years ago.

Ika is not the world's only quality shooter.
Old 05-02-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wtsang
I just don't see why this merits such attention. It has already received an excellent 360 release. It was priced better then and that was almost exactly ten years ago.

So is it your job to be joyless? How much does it pay?
Old 05-03-18, 12:27 AM
Banned

Not enough to pay Nicalis (horribly-reputed publisher BTW) $15 when I already have a beautiful version at a much better value. Don't really see why that's hard to understand, or how joylessness enters into it.
Old 05-03-18, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not enough to pay Nicalis (horribly-reputed publisher BTW) $15 when I already have a beautiful version at a much better value. Don't really see why that's hard to understand, or how joylessness enters into it.
You're threadcrapping because YOU fail to see the value for SOMEONE ELSE. What works for you, or is of value to you is not the same across the board for everyone else. I shared this because, hell what if someone in this thread doesn't own the game and didn't buy it on a previous platform or for their smartphone? I called you joyless because you had to be a downer about news, I felt was worth sharing in a thread where mostly everyone is happy with their purchase.
Old 05-03-18, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

My copy of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze shipped from Amazon earlier in the week and should arrive tomorrow. Kinda forgot it was right at the beginning of the month. Looking forward to playing it. It seems like Amazon uses slower than normal shipping for games sometimes as it went out on Tuesday so I’d think it’d arrive today a day early but its taking three days instead of the normal two. Not a huge deal since it is arriving on release day but since Prime shipping is advertised as two days it feels a bit cheap. Whatever I guess though.

Oh, and also I’ve liked a lot of the Nicalis releases for Switch. Not sure about that particular game but doesn’t look bad for $15.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-03-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

*shrug* I love Ikaruga. I've owned the DC import, GC domestic and Xbox Live versions, and now I get a nice portable one.

It's one of those games I play through like once or twice a year and always enjoy.

The Nicalis port of Cave Story+ was fine, but that's all I have to judge them with.
Old 05-03-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
My copy of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze shipped from Amazon earlier in the week and should arrive tomorrow. Kinda forgot it was right at the beginning of the month. Looking forward to playing it. It seems like Amazon uses slower than normal shipping for games sometimes as it went out on Tuesday so I’d think it’d arrive today a day early but its taking three days instead of the normal two. Not a huge deal since it is arriving on release day but since Prime shipping is advertised as two days it feels a bit cheap. Whatever I guess though.

Oh, and also I’ve liked a lot of the Nicalis releases for Switch. Not sure about that particular game but doesn’t look bad for $15.
Is it supposed to be a straight port from the Wii U version? The reason I ask is because my 8 eight year old was running in to some difficulty early on in the game. I would like to get it for her if the difficulty was turned down for younger players.
Old 05-03-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Is it supposed to be a straight port from the Wii U version? The reason I ask is because my 8 eight year old was running in to some difficulty early on in the game. I would like to get it for her if the difficulty was turned down for younger players.
Yeah, I believe it is just a straight port. I think the only difference is an added playable character.
Old 05-03-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you should just keep in mind that portable changes a lot for people, so having a lot of these different ports of games on the Switch is a big deal
Old 05-03-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Isn't Ikaruga on mobile?

I actually wouldn't mind if CAVE brought their shooters over since they don't work on ios anymore. But part of it is also the newness of the system, there are games that are on like deep deep discount on PSN that I wouldn't even have considered, but when they show up on switch I take a look, and it's not just because of the portability.
Old 05-03-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Playing anything then the occasional puzzle game on a mobile device is a nightmare to me.
Old 05-03-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Yeah, I sort of hate touch controls.
Old 05-03-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Yeah, I believe it is just a straight port. I think the only difference is an added playable character.
The added playable character is the easier difficulty.
Old 05-03-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The added playable character is the easier difficulty.
Ah okay I didn’t realize that was the case.
Old 05-03-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Bought me some DK Country Tropical Freeze!

Ebay is selling $50 eShop GC for $42.50. Good enough deal for me to splurge at full price.
Paypal Digital Gifts #282949513592
Old 05-04-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks!
Old 05-04-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Thanks!
Actually I was wrong though, the new character is an easier mode as someone else pointed out.
Old 05-04-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the new, easier character is Funky Kong, his first time being playable.

I need to dust off the Wii U to see if I already played this game... I really can't remember
Old 05-04-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I guess my copy of Donkey Kong isn’t arriving today. Apparently it got delayed until Monday. Not a huge deal but part of the service is supposed to be release day delivery.
Old 05-05-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Kirby Star Allies is fun but damn is it easy. I mean yeah it’s a Kirby game so it’s not going to be incredibly hard but it’s way easy. I’ve barely died and think I could beat it in a couple play throughs. I think the replay value will be finding the puzzle pieces to complete the images but I don’t think there’s a bonus for that. Nice relaxing game though.
It's definitely easy. I beat it yesterday evening with 65% completion, 70-80 lives, as I only died about 7-8 times the entire game.

The Weapons & Elemental Power-Ups can be a bit overpowered, making the Boss Battles fairly easy once you find a set of Allies & Abilities that work well together.

The Final Boss/Battle was a whole lot of fun.
Old 05-05-18, 03:15 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's definitely easy. I beat it yesterday evening with 65% completion, 70-80 lives, as I only died about 7-8 times the entire game.

The Weapons & Elemental Power-Ups can be a bit overpowered, making the Boss Battles fairly easy once you find a set of Allies & Abilities that work well together.

The Final Boss/Battle was a whole lot of fun.
My 9yo son beat the game the other day. He loved it (and like most of you, didn't find it that difficult).
Old 05-05-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually haven’t beaten it yet. Not because of difficulty but just haven’t gone back to it in a while. One thing I like with Nintendo games is they’re normally easy to just pick up and play casually and don’t have a big story usually making me feel like I have to finish.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.