Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 01-11-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I really wish Nintendo would stop porting over Wii U games like DKC Tropical Freeze. Some of us had a Wii U and have already played it. Give us something new and fresh.
Old 01-11-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

To Nintendo's credit, they really have been pulling out all the stops w/ the Switch. I almost feel like they held back on the Wii-U just to make whatever was going to come next look better

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I really wish Nintendo would stop porting over Wii U games like DKC Tropical Freeze. Some of us had a Wii U and have already played it. Give us something new and fresh.
I think that's why it was covered in a "mini" edition of this. This thing is selling really well for them, they're going to port everything they can. I'm sort of hoping they bring the NSMB games over.
Old 01-11-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

It feels a bit like this Direct was done because they felt like fans expected it but they didnít have a lot of major announcements at this time. Iíll probably get Mario Tennis Aces and definitely the port of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze as I never had a Wii U so never played it. Probably will get the new Kirby as well.
Old 01-11-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think ports are taking up Nintendo's time or preventing them from doing new things, as usually those things are outsourced to to other companies anyway. Plus, it's smart of them to do given how terrible Wii U sales were.
Old 01-11-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,365 Posts

Everyone keeps mentioning Donkey Kong County Tropical Freeze as a WiiU port, but wasn't the WiiU game already a port of a Wii game? I seem to remember having it and totally hating it and specifically the forced motion controls which I guess must have been dropped in the WiiU port (unless that was a different DKC game).
Old 01-11-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Everyone keeps mentioning Donkey Kong County Tropical Freeze as a WiiU port, but wasn't the WiiU game already a port of a Wii game? I seem to remember having it and totally hating it and specifically the forced motion controls which I guess must have been dropped in the WiiU port (unless that was a different DKC game).
That was DKC Returns on the Wii, Tropical Freeze debuted on the WiiU and it's good, but has some challenging parts.

I don't have an issue with ports, especially WiiU titles. I believe the Switch has already sold more systems than the WiiU did in it's lifetime, so it makes sense that Nintendo would want to get these games out to new fans.
Old 01-11-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Donkey Kong Country Returns was the Wii title, TF is the Wii U sequel.

I think the Switch is still a couple million behind the Wii U lifetime, but it's fairly close.
Old 01-11-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Switch is already pretty close to selling more units less than a year after launch than the Wii U sold in its lifetime. Itís definitely doing well for Nintendo.

Ports donít bother me either. Thus far whatís been or is being ported are titles Iíve been interested in and are good movers so it doesnít hurt. Iím sure weíll get more new announcements soon.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-11-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I skipped the WiiU so bring me everything I missed. Where's Captain Toad?
Old 01-11-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah, as for the ports, on the one hand, fuck Nintendo for half assing the Wii U, but on the other hand, bring on the best of the system to the Switch.
Old 01-11-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah truthfully Iíd probably buy all the Nintendo heavy hitters that were released on Wii U on Switch if they were ported. I think theyíd be smart to do that. Even if they donít release them as physical copies for all the games make them available on eShop or whatever the Virtual Console will be for Switch.
Old 01-11-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A Pikmin trilogy would hit the spot!
Old 01-11-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the Direct myself and no one mentioned Dragon Quest Builders is coming! I have that for PS4 (a system I don't yet have) but I know it's going to be so much better on Switch anyway.
Old 01-11-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,365 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That was DKC Returns on the Wii, Tropical Freeze debuted on the WiiU and it's good, but has some challenging parts.
Ah, I didn't realize that. I think I got confused because the DKC Returns Wii game was ported -- but it was to the 3DS.

So Tropical Freeze is good? I might check it out. Checking that video, the surfing Kong character would seem to make the game a hell of a lot easier.
Old 01-11-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 417 Posts

Ah, I didn't realize that. I think I got confused because the DKC Returns Wii game was ported -- but it was to the 3DS.

So Tropical Freeze is good? I might check it out. Checking that video, the surfing Kong character would seem to make the game a hell of a lot easier.
I hated Returns and Tropical Freeze and I'm a big fan of the original Country trilogy and 2d platformers are my jam. I'll still buy it because I'm a lunatic.
Old 01-11-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
A Pikmin trilogy would hit the spot!
This times 1000!!
Old 01-11-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since they are porting Wii U games, hopefully they get around to Super Mario 3D world. It's a shame more people didn't get a chance to play that one. I almost like it more than Odyssey.
Old 01-11-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want them to do another 2D/2.5D Mario collection with Mario Bros, SMB1,2,3,SMW, YI, NSMB, 3D World and Mario Maker.

Of course, that's asking for too much but it would be neat.
Old 01-11-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 998 Likes on 719 Posts

Not sure if it's been discussed here but holy shit; where has Golf Story been all my life? Being a huge fan of SNES era JRPGs and golf (both IRL and games), it's like this was made specifically for me. Having an absolute blast with this one.
Old 01-11-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

I'll take Wii U ports all day. There were some great games on there.
Old 01-11-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Not sure if it's been discussed here but holy shit; where has Golf Story been all my life? Being a huge fan of SNES era JRPGs and golf (both IRL and games), it's like this was made specifically for me. Having an absolute blast with this one.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It's not super deep or amazing, but just a nice fun little game with some good humor and pretty darn good golf mechanics to boot.
Old 01-11-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 998 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It's not super deep or amazing, but just a nice fun little game with some good humor and pretty darn good golf mechanics to boot.
Yup. And the overworld music while walking a course is basically the CBS theme for The Masters. Not sure if it changes from course to course; I'm just finishing up the first. Trying to beat that mini golf course score!
Old 01-11-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, as for the ports, on the one hand, fuck Nintendo for half assing the Wii U, but on the other hand, bring on the best of the system to the Switch.
To be fair, they only half-assed the marketing. Too many people thought the gamepad was just an accessory to the Wii.

It's a great system in it's own right, but they dropped the ball on selling it as something new.
Old 01-11-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think at least the first party games were as good as any on other Nintendo platforms from what Iíve seen/played. The console just wasnít an attention grabber and went downhill fast.
Old 01-11-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
To be fair, they only half-assed the marketing. Too many people thought the gamepad was just an accessory to the Wii.

It's a great system in it's own right, but they dropped the ball on selling it as something new.
Agreed, starting with naming it the Wii U. It had some great games, but even if the pad was more than an accessory, they sure didn’t make much novel use of it. I only had like 5 games, but the most “innovative” use of it I saw was in Mario Maker, and that was just to drag and drop stuff.

Going in the other direction, the more hardcore gamers were thinking they could have multiple game pads on one system, such that people would have personal screens, but that was also not going to happen.

Last edited by bluetoast; 01-11-18 at 08:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.