Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 12-29-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

It depends how you use it. I only play it docked and I don't have kids so I don't need the extra controllers. If you are regularly needing 4 controllers then go with the joycons.
Old 12-29-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I look at as why settle for serviceable when you can have great for the same price.
Old 12-29-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow. So you guys think it would be smarter to return the second set of Joy Cons I just bought and get a Pro Controller now instead?
Yes, I have a Pro controller and extra set of Joy Cons and don't like taking the Joy Cons off my Switch; I've only used the 2nd set of Joy cons when I've had people over and you can take you Joy cons off for that.
Old 12-29-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts

Only reason I can think of to have a 2nd set of Joycons rather than a Pro is if you'll be doing 4 player content like Mario Kart.
Old 12-29-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,682 Likes on 4,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Only reason I can think of to have a 2nd set of Joycons rather than a Pro is if you'll be doing 4 player content like Mario Kart.
My teenage daughter is obsessed with Mario Kart. I came home yesterday after an incredibly long day at work and hospital only to find the Switch undocked, sitting on the kitchen table drained of power and with totally dead Joy Cons.

My 11 year old son loves Arms and that two handed control system is pretty neat.

All that said, I'm still tempted to return the second Joy Cons and getting a Pro Controller instead...

Though the Switch was supposed to be the family's Christmas present. Maybe I'll tough it out for now with the Joy Cons and wait for a while on the Pro
Old 12-29-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

Really itís down to how youíll use it. If you play a lot of party games with four people maybe the Joy Cons are right for you and I donít think theyíre bad in the grip as a normal-ish controller. Iíve had my Switch since launch and just broke down for the Pro Controller because I wanted it but didnít truly need it. Personally for me I donít do a lot of multiplayer and if I do itís usually online or in an environment where my friends are around and we play locally each using our own Switch.
Old 12-29-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,682 Likes on 4,561 Posts

Yeah, we just got ours, but I could totally see my daughter having her friends over for Mario Kart parties and my son having Arms punching battles with a friend.
Old 12-29-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you do go with two sets of Joycons, I'd also suggest getting the controller dock that can charge them. Why this wasn't in the box still baffles me but I'd imagine it's a pain to keep two sets of joycons charged if you can only charge them on the Switch.
Old 12-29-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly don't know how anyone plays the Switch docked without a pro controller. I guess it might feel normal if you haven't experienced it before.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 12-29-17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean docked? Joycons in the grip isn't bad as long as you don't have large hands. I also have one of these I use with a BT adapter in the dock:

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-C...s30%2Bpro&th=1
Old 12-29-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

I actually got surprisingly used to playing using them individually. I have bigger hands so thought it might be a problem since theyíre pretty tiny but they work pretty well. I just didnít want to shell out the $70 additional right away after buying my Switch and Breath of the Wild and put off buying the Pro Controller.

Still on my list to buy is a charger to use when I have it portable. I almost thought about getting an external battery bank so I can just play longer before a charge. Not sure if I want something so bulky though.
Old 12-30-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

my gf bought me a switch with zelda and pro controller for my birthday, ofcourse i'm pumped to play zelda and mario but after that what i'm i supposed to be playing on this thing? i didn't even know virtual console wasn't out for it yet

there's a bunch of ds, gamecube, and wiiu games i still want to play
Old 12-30-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
my gf bought me a switch with zelda and pro controller for my birthday, ofcourse i'm pumped to play zelda and mario but after that what i'm i supposed to be playing on this thing? i didn't even know virtual console wasn't out for it yet

They haven't stated if their is going to be a virtual console for the system at all. They've mentioned they will have some NES games available but that's it. So if you were looking for a system to play "a bunch of ds, gamecube, and wii u games" I highly doubt the Switch is going to be it.
Old 12-30-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum

Some recommendations from me...

Puyo/Tetris (digital/retail)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (digital/retial)

Axiom Verge (digital/retail)

Wonder Boy (digital)

Double Dragon IV (digital)

Sonic Mania (digital)

Retro City Rampage (digital)

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove (digital)

Blaster Master Zero (digital)

Mighty Gunvolt Burst (digital)

Kamiko (digital)
Azure Striker Gunvolt (digital/retail) especially if you love Mega Man X.

Doom (retail/digital) if you haven't played it on PC or another console.

ARMS (digital/retail) this game is a lot more fun than I expected!

Splatoon 2 (digital/retail) Going to buy this for me and my lady soon, the
online is pretty sweet and the control/movement in this game is quiet impressive.

I've heard great things about Enter the Gungeon (digital) but there are two games I'm looking forward to in 2018; -Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (May 2018) and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (TBD 2018). Nintendo is supposed to have a Direct on January 15th? Supposedly it's going to reveal some new surprises as far as games go, hope this helped!
Old 12-30-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

cool thanks some of those i already know about and don't care to play, i'll look into the other ones

we got mario kart also but that's mainly so we have something to play together, i probably won't be playing it solo

can't wait to be able to play zelda laying on the couch though
Old 12-31-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Picked this up for the family for Christmas, we are loving it, great system

Last edited by mphtrilogy; 01-02-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm another one that joined the Switch family this Christmas. Right now only have BoTW. Reminds me so much of the original Zelda in terms of scale, mystery, and adventure. My only complaint is that my hands cramp up in handheld mode after a while but I have some comfort grips coming that should help alleviate that.
Old 01-02-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03
I'm another one that joined the Switch family this Christmas. Right now only have BoTW. Reminds me so much of the original Zelda in terms of scale, mystery, and adventure. My only complaint is that my hands cramp up in handheld mode after a while but I have some comfort grips coming that should help alleviate that.
Welcome to the Switch army!

Also, the next Nintendo Direct might be on the 11th? Probably because of the Amazon leaks? EDIT: King of the Monsters hits the eShop this week!

Last edited by zero; 01-03-18 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I placed a few blind preorders for some of the stuff when it went up on Amazon in case they were limited and collector editions of games I want to pick up. Figured it was worth it since the Prime discount was working and it's very simple to cancel.
Old 01-03-18, 09:37 AM

Received 880 Likes on 577 Posts

PAX South is January 12-14 here in San Antonio and Nintendo had a huge Switch booth last year, so maybe they'll have the stuff from the January 11th announcement there at the show. I'll let you know.
Old 01-03-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I placed a few blind preorders for some of the stuff when it went up on Amazon in case they were limited and collector editions of games I want to pick up. Figured it was worth it since the Prime discount was working and it's very simple to cancel.
Which ones?

I feel like Nintendo is making more special editions but they're not exactly selling like crazy, which is weird, because all their stuff sells out like crazy.
Old 01-03-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Which ones?
I'm not exactly sure yet because of how they are titled. They are all labeled "Switch Title xx" So I ordered 22 - 30 because they were priced between $79.99 and $99.99.
Old 01-03-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Decker, we also got the Switch for Xmas and my kids (and I) love it. I recommend keeping the extra set of joy cons and getting the Pro controller which is what I did and don't regret it. Like others have said, the Pro controller is good and feels more natural while playing docked. Plus it works great in BotW. We also got Kart and Odyssey World.
Old 01-03-18, 01:12 PM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I got my daughter the Switch along with Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey.

She has only been playing Splatoon 2.

It looks like a fun game and all, but I was surprised that it didn't support local multiplayer. Nintendo used to be the king of local multiplayer with the 4 controller ports on N64 and Gamecube. Now they expect every family member to get their own Switch and copy of the game to play together for Splatoon.

I guess it kind of makes sense if you think of the Switch more as a handheld than a console.
Old 01-03-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You took quite a journey of discovery there, Perry.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.