DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Mike86 06-29-17 12:15 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I wish the Virtual Console would be announced. I like to be able to play the classics and particularly while waiting for some new games to arrive. I still have stuff to play but still it'd be nice having that option.

Adam Tyner 06-30-17 03:56 PM

Amazon has a promotion today where every 20,000th participant gets a free Switch. With a 0.005% change of winning, you're probably more likely to have someone chuck a Switch at you from a passing car, but it's slightly better than nothing!

pinata242 06-30-17 04:10 PM

I'm gonna need a second Switch anyway: https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/29/15...h-namco-museum

I actually just fired up my GameCube copy the other day as I dug out the Wii and GBAs out of storage. It was so much fun with my friends 10-15 years ago that I look forward to playing it again (as well as Zelda: The Four Swords (yes, I have 4 GBAs and link cables))!

Music 06-30-17 04:11 PM

You mean had...

pinata242 06-30-17 04:12 PM

Nope, "have". They're all working and I played a sad game of Z:TFS with myself for a bit.

Music 06-30-17 04:30 PM

You don't see that the Switch giveaway ended 3 1/2 hours ago?

Adam Tyner 06-30-17 06:10 PM

Sorry about posting that too late. I saw a link during lunch (entered and lost!), meant to post it when I got back to my desk, and didn't realize it was over when I remembered. I just figured it'd be an all-day thing.

Mike86 06-30-17 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 13106221)
I'm gonna need a second Switch anyway: https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/29/15...h-namco-museum

I actually just fired up my GameCube copy the other day as I dug out the Wii and GBAs out of storage. It was so much fun with my friends 10-15 years ago that I look forward to playing it again (as well as Zelda: The Four Swords (yes, I have 4 GBAs and link cables))!

I'd get Namco Museum but $30 seems a little high for those games. Especially when it appears to be digital only so far. It'd be an easier sell at like $20.

Music 06-30-17 07:08 PM

No worries - I got a notification from Amazon on my phone and it had already ended when I clicked on it as well.

nickdawgy 07-01-17 02:26 AM

I was in Target last night and walked past the Switch display. I happened to see two consoles (the standard kind) sitting there. I immediately decided what the hey, and grabbed one.

Not five minutes later, someone comes by and grabs the other. Two minutes after that, three more people showed up.

Now should I get any accessories? The pro controller? I got Zelda as my game.

Adam Tyner 07-01-17 07:48 AM

I'm a fan of the pro controller. Four games in, that's the only accessory I have (although I need to get some sort of carrying case one of these days).

The Questyen 07-01-17 09:21 AM

The Pro Controller is one of the best feeling controllers I've ever used. I've used it 99% of the time I've played the Switch and I can't imagine not having it.

Adam Tyner 07-01-17 10:43 AM

If you don't mind waiting another day, the Pro Controller will be $69.99 at Best Buy ($10 off) starting tomorrow.

Puyo Puyo Tetris and The Binding of Isaac will be $29.99 (also $10 off) in next week's circular as well.

RichC2 07-01-17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13106568)
If you don't mind waiting another day, the Pro Controller will be $69.99 at Best Buy ($10 off) starting tomorrow.

Puyo Puyo Tetris and The Binding of Isaac will be $29.99 (also $10 off) in next week's circular as well.

It's kind of late to chime in on my behalf, but the Pro Controller is already $69.99 -- that's the MSRP. Though GameStop also has it in stock.

Adam Tyner 07-01-17 10:05 PM

Man, I'm getting everything wrong these days. :p I misremembered it being $79.99 for some reason. I guess I was getting 'em mixed up with the joy-cons.

Stupid Best Buy putting stupid MSRPs in their circulars!

Adam Tyner 07-03-17 02:03 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...99108646_1.png

nickdawgy 07-03-17 07:14 PM

Man, the button placement of the Pro controller is driving me insane. I keep hitting B to confirm because it's where A is on the Xbox controller. Then I end up canceling my choice. Ugh.

fujishig 07-03-17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13107695)
Man, the button placement of the Pro controller is driving me insane. I keep hitting B to confirm because it's where A is on the Xbox controller. Then I end up canceling my choice. Ugh.

It's not the pro controller, isn't the joycon like that too? It's the Japanese configuration for controllers, because Sony for whatever reason changed the configuration of "confirm" and "cancel" between markets, where x, the bottom most button, means confirm in the US and cancel in Japan and vice Vera's for o.

Adam Tyner 07-03-17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13107697)
It's not the pro controller, isn't the joycon like that too? It's the Japanese configuration for controllers, because Sony for whatever reason changed the configuration of "confirm" and "cancel" between markets, where x, the bottom most button, means confirm in the US and cancel in Japan and vice Vera's for o.

Yup! It's still reversed in one of the Japanese games I imported for the PS4, and like you said, that's just the way it is over there.

But yeah, it'll be that way no matter what Nintendo controller you use.

fumanstan 07-04-17 06:54 PM

I remember posting a poll about button placement a little while back because of the exact same thing. I got used to the Xbox placement.

Adam Tyner 07-06-17 10:06 AM

The Nintendo Switch Online app launches on 7/21, alongside Splatoon 2. Some of the functionality was shown off in today's Splatoon 2 Direct.

DaveNinja 07-06-17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13107695)

i had the same problem

Mike86 07-06-17 05:24 PM

Was going to pre-order Splatoon 2 from Amazon to get my Prime discount but for some reason only the digital version is available for pre-order currently. Kind of odd since it's out fairly soon.

Adam Tyner 07-06-17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13109258)
Was going to pre-order Splatoon 2 from Amazon to get my Prime discount but for some reason only the digital version is available for pre-order currently. Kind of odd since it's out fairly soon.

Might be tied to one of those weird Amazon/Walmart price wars? They had it up at least as recently as yesterday afternoon.

If you preorder from walmart.com and do in-store pickup, it's $46.81 + tax, which is a little less than Amazon/Prime or Best Buy/GCU.

RichC2 07-06-17 08:20 PM

So I bought one of the neo geo titles (metal slug 2) and while I'm happy it has a slew of emulation options, holy hell does it run like shit. I hear it's accurate to the original neo geo version but sheesh