DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Michael Corvin 10-20-16 08:18 PM

re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

This thing looks like an April Fools joke gone awry.

rotfl my ass off at a bunch of people crowding around a 5" screen to play a game.

Also :lol: at Nintendo's line of thought lately. Let's make a new console that has nothing to do with the last and name it something very similar, WiiU! That won't confuse anyone! Fast forward 5 years. Let's make a new console that looks just like and works similar the last one(that bombed), only you can leave the house! That won't confuse anyone!

I have no interest in mobile gaming. The few times I want to play, a mobile game will do. I don't need to get deep into an involved game. Also I can't recall the last time I saw a kid with a 3DS outside of my own. It's ipads and iphones everywhere. Are kids gonna give up an idevice with dozens upon dozens of free/cheap games for a device that will only have a couple?

I dunno, to borrow from the election, this looks like a disaster.

edstein 10-20-16 09:42 PM

Games on cartridges? Should be all digital at this point in the world.

And you know the power cord will be Nintendo proprietary bullshit again.

Those controllers are for baby hands. I'll pass.

JTH182 10-20-16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 12926935)
Are you not aware of all the mods people do to make consoles portable?

This is something gamers have been dreaming about since, well, forever. One system, for all games? This is the pinnacle of gaming design. I haven't bought a console at launch in ages, but this might be an exception.

I think a thread name change is in order :lol:

fumanstan 10-20-16 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 12927315)
That ad tho :lol:

Nintendo thinks people gonna stop playing basketball and crowd around someones tablet and play with tiny t-rex controllers lol

Edit* And damn that controller looks like xbox and dreamcast had a baby.

It's funny, that was one of the first comments that came to my mind. I'm pretty sure my friends and I will never sit at a picnic table to play games on this thing after a game of basketball.

GatorDeb 10-20-16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 12927220)
No D-pad means it will be shitty for retro games (at least on the go), and I'm not even sure about the structural integrity of the thing with all those breakaway parts.

There's a D-pad....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting on the NVidia Shield, it seems to be a hybrid of their mobile and console products, but with the Nintendo game franchises and marketing.

GatorDeb 10-20-16 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12927346)
I see they're still believers in the headphone jack, though.

There's portable gaming devices without one??? I think headphone jacks should be a requirement for portable gaming. And who knows if this is going to branch out into music and video.

fujishig 10-20-16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12927618)
It's funny, that was one of the first comments that came to my mind. I'm pretty sure my friends and I will never sit at a picnic table to play games on this thing after a game of basketball.

That's because you aren't hipsters. Who's going to see their friends on the roof next door and brig their game console with them? Or take the dog for a walk in the middle of an intense Zelda session?

Btw I'll still likely get it. But I'm a sucker like that.

GatorDeb 10-20-16 11:40 PM

I thought the video was kinda sad though with everyone with this Zombie look not interacting with the world. The puppy thing was heartbreaking. At home, gaming, then take the dog to the dog park and instead of looking after the dog and playing with the dog, gaming. Made me hug my puppy extra long.

Decker 10-20-16 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12927650)

Funny, I never even saw that. That's got to be the smallest, most useless D-pad in the world. And I thought the right nub in the New 3DS was undersized...

GatorDeb 10-20-16 11:46 PM

You're looking at the one on the left, not on the right, right? :) There's a full-sized D-pad on the left. I have no idea what that D-pad looking thing is on the right.

Decker 10-20-16 11:54 PM

Oh Okay. I thought that little + thing was supposed to be their D-pad. :lol:

My son just pointed out that the Wii controller has a + and - button on it as well. I haven't touched that controller since 2012.

PerryD 10-21-16 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12927655)
There's portable gaming devices without one??? I think headphone jacks should be a requirement for portable gaming. And who knows if this is going to branch out into music and video.

Actually the Gameboy Advance SP didn't have one. I think there was an adapter that plugged into the charger port.

But I think he was referring to Apple iPhone 7 and the Moto Z phones now not including headphone jacks with the expectation that people will use wireless headphones.

Adam Tyner 10-21-16 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12927668)
I have no idea what that D-pad looking thing is on the right.

Minus on the left, plus on the right. Kind of a language-neutral way of signifying left and right.

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12927668)
There's a full-sized D-pad on the left.

There's an equivalent, but four disconnected buttons are not a D-pad.

The Pro controller does have a straight-up D-pad, though.

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 12927566)
Games on cartridges? Should be all digital at this point in the world.

Digital-only at this stage of the game would be suicide. The long-term trend is towards downloads, but at least on console, we're not there yet.

In other news, a Nintendo rep told the Wall Street Journal that there will be no further Switch updates until next year. There is Amiibo support, although it's unclear how that'll work.

GatorDeb 10-21-16 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12927721)
Minus on the left, plus on the right. Kind of a language-neutral way of signifying left and right.

Ooooohhhhh I didn't notice the minus until you pointed it out :lol:

fumanstan 10-21-16 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 12927721)
In other news, a Nintendo rep told the Wall Street Journal that there will be no further Switch updates until next year. There is Amiibo support, although it's unclear how that'll work.

Weird for a console due in March to not get any/many details until months before release, especially given all the questions that are out there.

Unrelated for those interested, some speculation on tech specs -

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/1...itchs-insides/

The new console uses a "custom Tegra processor" from Nvidia, confirming months of rumors. Nvidia has declined to give us the chip's name or provide any specs, but many rumors point to it being either a "Tegra X2" or a very close relative. (Also worth noting: Digital Foundry claims devkits are running a slightly older Tegra X1.)

The X2 is also known as "Parker," and we know a few things about it. Anandtech reports that it uses a total of six ARM CPU cores, two custom Nvidia-designed "Denver" cores, and four off-the-shelf ARM Cortex A57 cores. All six cores use a 64-bit architecture, but the A57 is old news at this point—it showed up in high-end phone CPUs throughout 2015, including Samsung's Exynos 7 series and Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810, and it has since been superseded twice by Cortex A72 and A73. They're still reasonably capable performers, but the Denver cores will be responsible for most of the heavy lifting—previous-generation Denver cores have been about twice as fast as A57 cores at similar clock speeds.

It's hard to say just how the Switch will perform based on these numbers, since performance doesn't always scale perfectly and there are other factors—CPU speed, memory bandwidth, and the Switch's proprietary Nvidia-developed "NVN" graphics API, for instance—that we can't account for. But you shouldn't expect the Switch to perform on the same level as the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One. Both of those systems have dedicated-class GPUs with fast RAM and much larger cooling systems, and even though their architectures are older, they're still going to be much more capable than an SoC like Tegra.

Adam Tyner 10-21-16 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12927780)
Weird for a console due in March to not get any/many details until months before release, especially given all the questions that are out there.

Absolutely, although I think the timing has a lot to do with it.

Nintendo's investor meeting next week is likely why we got the teaser when we did. The more they say about the Switch now, the less attention there'll be for the stuff Nintendo is trying to sell this year. (They're done with new releases for the Wii U for the year, but there are still two Pokemon games, Super Mario Maker, and Mario Party Star Rush for the 3DS before the holidays.) This is a difficult time of year to announce a console when the PSVR has just come out, the PS4 Pro is weeks away, and most of the year's biggest games are all being unleashed, making it a little tougher to grab people's attention. The more Switch info they drop now, the more likely it is to get a little bit lost in the shuffle.

Nintendo also loves aping whatever Apple does, and I guess that goes for the whole "we'll tell you when we're good and ready" thing with very little advance notice.

mattysemo247 10-21-16 09:39 AM

The more I see pics of this thing, the more it looks like a toy with a screen in the middle of it.

Even though this thing is obviously not for me, I still hope it works out for Nintendo. They can't afford too many more gaming system flops.

Goldberg74 10-21-16 11:19 AM

I wouldn't be surprised it custom controllers with new buttons/inputs (game specific) would be released that could work in the switch system... maybe that's how they'll introduce the full D-pad.

Just a thought.

slop101 10-21-16 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12927827)
The more I see pics of this thing, the more it looks like a toy with a screen in the middle of it.

Even though this thing is obviously not for me, I still hope it works out for Nintendo. They can't afford too many more gaming system flops.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this was a bad idea, and that it will flop.

Nintendo is calling this their next "Home Console", but they've done everything to untether it from the home, and reduce it's appeal as a home console compared to competitor, not to mention how it's severely underpowered compared to the competition, which is what hurt them with the WiiU.

It's gimmick is it's portability, but look at that thing, it's not that portable. That's not a system you can easily carry around with you. It's mostly portable to another room. Portables skew young, but this is going to be an expensive piece of kit compared to other portable devices.

As a home console: It's underpowered and requires accessories to game on comfortably.

As a portable: It's big and expensive and might have poor battery life compared to other portables.

Outside of the few Nintendo property games, I'm not seeing the mass-appeal here Nintendo needs.

orangecrush 10-21-16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12927927)
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this was a bad idea, and that it will flop.

Nintendo is calling this their next "Home Console", but they've done everything to untether it from the home, and reduce it's appeal as a home console compared to competitor, not to mention how it's severely underpowered compared to the competition, which is what hurt them with the WiiU.

It's gimmick is it's portability, but look at that thing, it's not that portable. That's not a system you can easily carry around with you. It's mostly portable to another room. Portables skew young, but this is going to be an expensive piece of kit compared to other portable devices.

As a home console: It's underpowered and requires accessories to game on comfortably.

As a portable: It's big and expensive and might have poor battery life compared to other portables.

Outside of the few Nintendo property games, I'm not seeing the mass-appeal here Nintendo needs.

We have absolutely no idea how much it will cost.

slop101 10-21-16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 12928042)
We have absolutely no idea how much it will cost.

I'm hearing two to three hundred. That's expensive for a portable, especially since kids already play plenty of free games on their phones/tablets.

Adam Tyner 10-21-16 02:36 PM

I share a lot of your concerns, but...

Even with the joy-cons (ugh, will never get used to that name) attached, the Switch is only a half-inch wider than an iPad Air in landscape mode, and it's a good bit shorter. If you use the Switch as a screen and detach the controllers, you're basically looking at 6"x4", which is smaller than an iPad Mini. I don't think that's too unwieldy, but this does seem like it'll be much, much more susceptible to damage from kids than any other device in Nintendo's history. I can't really picture people walking around with 'em the way they do with iPads either.

I still think that in a perfect world, I would've liked to have seen two dedicated devices (one handheld, one console) with the same library. As you said, a hybrid leads to a lot of compromises, and they're really betting the farm on gamers playing both ways.

One of the folks whose leaks proved to be dead-on said that it's looking like 3 hours of battery life.

fumanstan 10-21-16 05:57 PM

3 hours on the current Dev kit though, right? Hopefully that gets improved. Other rumors include confirming that the screen is a touch screen and that the dock adds some processing power.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297753

mewmartigan 10-21-16 06:27 PM

According to Polygon, the dock is only for video out and charging...all the brains are in the handheld. Sure would suck to damage it and therefore break your home system and portable system!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13...ower-tv-output

Adam Tyner 10-21-16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan (Post 12928207)
According to Polygon, the dock is only for video out and charging

The dock itself may not have any hardware for processing, but being docked may allow the Shift to let loose a little more since there are fewer concerns about heat and battery life.