Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 01-17-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,289 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Stuff like Sonic Mania worries me on the Switch because of the lack of a D-Pad.
I was thinking Sonic Mania might be fun to get on the Switch so I could play it on the big screen or as a handheld, but I hadn't thought about the lack of a d-pad. Yeah, that is concerning.
Old 01-17-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,550 Likes on 4,478 Posts

Just curious : Does anyone like the look of the Red/Blue controller? Because I think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in the world of console designs. I'm glad they stuck with a black one as well, but they're putting both out as separate SKUs, right? I just can't imagine anyone picking up the Red/Blue one unless that was their only option. Maybe I'm just old/wrong, though and these are really Da Bomb?

Old 01-17-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

This new trailer of Super Mario Odyssey seems...different.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ih323XXu_3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-17-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just curious : Does anyone like the look of the Red/Blue controller? Because I think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in the world of console designs. I'm glad they stuck with a black one as well, but they're putting both out as separate SKUs, right? I just can't imagine anyone picking up the Red/Blue one unless that was their only option. Maybe I'm just old/wrong, though and these are really Da Bomb?

Spoiler:

Two console SKUs, the neon red and blue sold out faster than the gray. You can also buy the comtrollers seperately in gray only, red only, blue only, or red & blue.
Old 01-17-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 603 Likes on 442 Posts

I'm old also and I always pick colors when given the option over boring black or grey. My Xbox One controller is the magenta one, my PS4 controllers are red and blue, and my PS3 controller is pink. The three people in front of me preordering the Switch all picked the Red/Blue one also.
Old 01-17-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 603 Likes on 442 Posts

Jim seems to just go over the same stuff that we've already complained about here, so no new surprises there.

Stuff like Sonic Mania worries me on the Switch because of the lack of a D-Pad.
I play pretty much every 2d platformer (the Shantae games, Mario titles, etc) with an analog stick even when I use the pro controller and I never have issues.
Old 01-17-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I think they look hideous but then again I've liked all my consoles and controllers being a basic black/grey/white.

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I play pretty much every 2d platformer (the Shantae games, Mario titles, etc) with an analog stick even when I use the pro controller and I never have issues.
I'm the opposite, I always use the D-Pad and hate using analog controls.
Old 01-17-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts

I'm not a diehard d-pad person(I do use it on 2D games), but Nintendo's has always been the cream of the crop. I wonder why they felt the need to fix what wasn't broken.
Old 01-17-17, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not a diehard d-pad person(I do use it on 2D games), but Nintendo's has always been the cream of the crop. I wonder why they felt the need to fix what wasn't broken.
So both halves can be used like this for mobile competitive gaming (which looks very uncomfortable and sub-optimal to me) :

You can (kinda) use buttons as a D-pad, but you can't really use a D-pad as buttons.

Last edited by Decker; 01-17-17 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I'm old also and I always pick colors when given the option over boring black or grey. My Xbox One controller is the magenta one, my PS4 controllers are red and blue, and my PS3 controller is pink. The three people in front of me preordering the Switch all picked the Red/Blue one also.
Hey, I get the appeal of a colored controller. I love my red Dual Shock 4 and love my dark blue Forza 6 Xbox One controller even more.
None of that has anything to do with this 1950s 3D glasses, Franken-controller thing though :

Spoiler:

An All-Red or All-Blue one might have looked really sharp.
Old 01-17-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

An All-Red or All-Blue one might have looked really sharp.
Although the console in the middle would still be gray, you can at least get part of the way there. The neon console is blue on the left and red on the right; the separately sold joy-cons are red on the left and blue on the right. Buy both, and you can swap out matching sets!

...but, yeah, I'm with you in thinking that the colors are dreadful, although they seem to be a hit on the other gaming message boards I read.
Old 01-18-17, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to imagine they did it that way for party games 1-2-Switch, so you can easily say "ok, I'll be the red, you be blue" or whatever, instead of left/right/plus/minus.
Old 01-18-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Zelda runs at 900p at 30 fps when docked. http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14...da-900p-30-fps
Old 01-18-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, that's the word that's been going around.

Nintendo just had a Direct that was oriented around Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile, but they announced a Fire Emblem game for the Switch as part of it. Will be released sometime next year. No title and no...anything else, really.
Old 01-18-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Switch game was shown briefly in the presentation. It's Fire Emblem Warriors, which looks to be a Musou (Dynasty Warriors) style game with Fire Emblem characters.
Old 01-18-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
The Switch game was shown briefly in the presentation. It's Fire Emblem Warriors, which looks to be a Musou (Dynasty Warriors) style game with Fire Emblem characters.
Two separate games.

Old 01-18-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

So both halves can be used like this for mobile competitive gaming (which looks very uncomfortable and sub-optimal to me) :

You can (kinda) use buttons as a D-pad, but you can't really use a D-pad as buttons.
There is no way that would be comfortable for my large hands. Who did they design that for? Trump?
Old 01-18-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the Fire Emblem video. No one mentioned the Fire Emblem II remake for 3DS! I'm way more excited for that than anything else they announced. Wish it had a physical release, but I suppose I'll live.
Old 01-18-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Just watched the Fire Emblem video. No one mentioned the Fire Emblem II remake for 3DS! I'm way more excited for that than anything else they announced. Wish it had a physical release, but I suppose I'll live.
This was tweeted by NoA:

Spoiler:

So its might end up getting a physical release after all. Either way, exciting news along with the announcement of a main FE game coming to the Switch next year.
Old 01-18-17, 08:07 PM
Banned

Zelda runs at 900p at 30 fps
Yeah, pending a real technical analysis it doesn't sound like the Switch version is going to be any substantial upgrade over the U's. I'm so looking forward to just getting that version and leaving the Switch to rot.
Old 01-18-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted the differences in the Wii U thread. The only big difference is 720p on Wii U vs 900p on Switch. I'm a little surprised they didn't try to go 1080p on this one to really sell the upgrade, but I guess the system doesn't have the horsepower.

I was also surprised that we didn't have a Zelda thread yet.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 01-18-17 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Weren't there more visual detail differences based on the footage comparisons, or was that just a matter of earlier builds of the game versus what we've seen more recently?

Makes me really want to see more tech details of the Switch revealed other then the rumors we've seen. Either it's not as powerful as its rumored on paper, or maybe the port just wasn't optimized that much to make sure it was out for launch on the Switch.
Old 01-19-17, 01:27 AM
Banned

Yeah, I can definitely see a clear difference in the comparison footage, but not one large enough to change the essence of the game.

That's why I'm looking forward to something like a Digital Foundry comparison, though - not going to buy the game until I can be reasonably sure it's a comparable experience.

In particular, I'm prepared to hear the Wii U version drops a lot more frames.
Old 01-19-17, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Either it's not as powerful as its rumored on paper, or maybe the port just wasn't optimized that much to make sure it was out for launch on the Switch.
It definitely came together quickly:
And regarding the Nintendo Switch version, it was spring last year when we made a firm decision to also release on that platform. Obviously that required some adjustments to the development process and changes to be made, and to continue developing the Wii U version alongside Nintendo Switch, that was spring last year.
Also:

Obviously a major difference between developing for Wii U and a major thing we had to change for Nintendo Switch was the controls. Wii U has the Wii U GamePad, and we originally envisaged making major use of that for the controls. Of course on Wii U you have two screens - the main screen, and one on the GamePad - but the Nintendo Switch has one screen. That was a major change, but we achieved it a lot more easily and quickly than we expected. In the end we're happier with how the controls came out, having made those changes. I feel that the control system we landed on was better than what we originally had.
Old 01-19-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Makes sense, and i'm happy mostly because I didn't want to be wrong about my estimates on the Switch's power

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.