Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 07-05-24, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'm sorry i like to get answers from more knowledgeable people in this area than I. i sometimes have a hard time purchasing stuff without great or very good feedback and i have Amazon gc money that i would like to use which would cover the whole purchase of a Switch, just want to make sure. i'm anal retentive and self-diagnosed OCD.
I mean I can understand if it's like a niche product with just a few amazon reviews to sort through. But a 7 year old Nintendo console? And didn't you contemplate getting one before? Maybe I'm misremembering.

If you ever get two consoles and buy a lot of digital games I'm not explaining how that works again, btw.
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Speaking of switch deals, Civilization (digital) has been on sale a lot in the past, but it's 2.99 at various retailers (Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, etc.). Why is this significant? Apparently you can get 300 gold points from purchasing it (from the retail 59.99 price) making it free. It doesn't have the expansions but you can buy all the expansions on a discount right now if you want anyway.
tanman (07-06-24)
Old 07-12-24, 04:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

The Nintendo Switch has now been on the market without a successor console longer than any other Nintendo home console:

The Nintendo Switch snatches the NES' record as the company's longest-lasting console, with 2,688 days without a successor
Goldberg74 (07-12-24)
Old 07-13-24, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
The Nintendo Switch has now been on the market without a successor console longer than any other Nintendo home console:

The Nintendo Switch snatches the NES' record as the company's longest-lasting console, with 2,688 days without a successor
It looks like they used the release dates for the Famicom (July 15, 1983) and Super Famicom (November 21, 1990) in Japan for the calculation. The time between the NES and Super NES in the US was only 2128 days.

One thing that helped the durations of the NES and SuperNES is the inclusion of enhancement chips in the game cartridges, which meant that while you were technically playing the same console, it could be argued with later games that you're weren't playing using the same hardware as at launch. The Switch doesn't have that option, so it's longevity is largely a testament to the developers working to optimize newer games for the hardware, although they're definitely hitting the hardware's limits.
steebo777 (07-15-24)