Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by tanman
Zero percent chance that happens. To each their own but one reason for first party games I almost never buy digital. They’ve proven untrustworthy over and over again when it comes to digital content. They’ll one hundred percent shut down the servers at some point down the road and prevent you from having access to your games. But who knows, maybe with game updates and downloadable content, having physical media will be a moot point and you won’t be able to play a game regardless when the servers go down.
As of today you can still re-download original Wii games you have purchased even though the online services shut down a few years back. That's almost 20 years of service. And when that ends, you still have them on your console unless you delete the data.
Old 02-09-23, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I still prefer physical games most of the time, but with the voucher deal and TotK price announcement, I went ahead and bit on vouchers for TotK and Pikmin 4. Really looking forward to each of them.
Old 02-10-23, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Zero percent chance that happens. To each their own but one reason for first party games I almost never buy digital. They’ve proven untrustworthy over and over again when it comes to digital content. They’ll one hundred percent shut down the servers at some point down the road and prevent you from having access to your games. But who knows, maybe with game updates and downloadable content, having physical media will be a moot point and you won’t be able to play a game regardless when the servers go down.
Yeah, what are you talking about?
I can play all my digital games just fine even when not at all connected to the internet.
Old 02-10-23, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, what are you talking about?
I can play all my digital games just fine even when not at all connected to the internet.
I think he's talking about if you delete one to save space then need to download it again (or get a new console) and the servers are shut down.

Also now that I think about it, there is a check whether or not your console is a primary console or secondary console and if secondary, it checks to see if someone else is playing it. Switch digital games might actually be broken if all of these things eventually go away (though it will take decades and there will certainly be backlash)
Old 02-13-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
As of today you can still re-download original Wii games you have purchased even though the online services shut down a few years back. That's almost 20 years of service. And when that ends, you still have them on your console unless you delete the data.
I actually did not know that. I thought they stopped that a long time ago. My Wii quit on me awhile ago and even though I bought another one haven't bothered to look into fixing it/transferring it to the new one.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think he's talking about if you delete one to save space then need to download it again (or get a new console) and the servers are shut down.

Also now that I think about it, there is a check whether or not your console is a primary console or secondary console and if secondary, it checks to see if someone else is playing it. Switch digital games might actually be broken if all of these things eventually go away (though it will take decades and there will certainly be backlash)
Bingo.

And when they changed their digital currency from Wii points to the eShop with no way of converting existing funds for no reason at all. MS and Sony haven't done that. Either way I feel like physical carts will have less issues being able to play them down the road. I should be able to pop it in any switch and play it without having to mess with transferring accounts to different switches and any of that. That's not to say that I don't spend money on digital games, I've spent hundreds and including some first party games that either I've caught at a really good price, or they have a strong online component that the game would be useless to revisit anyways (Splatoon) or I play it frequently enough that I want the convenience of digital (Animal Crossing). But Mario, Zelda, Metroid. I want all of those to be physical to keep in my collection.

I know it can happen with any digital media from any company but video games in particular seem to be at risk of becoming lost media. Of course physical media has its risks as well; fire, theft, loss. But you can still easily pop in any NES game into an NES and have it play right away.
Old 02-13-23, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Played Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins tonight. I didn’t have a ton of GameBoy games as a kid really but I had all three of the Super Mario Land games and played the second one a bunch so it was fun to play again. I already have five of the six coins. Probably could have beat the game if I stayed up a bit later.
I'm surprised at how well the OG GB games have aged. Even though they're still in that vomit green color it's pretty nice playing them on a nice clear big screen. Shows that it's really game design that matters. Although of course I'm biased since I grew up with the OG gameboy. I really wonder if anyone who didn't grow up with it would be willing to put up with it's limitations.

So far play through Super Mario Land 2 and am almost done with Metroid II. Really missing a map feature with Metroid II and other modern game designs like having more frequent health and missile refills, especially before a boss. I'm near the end where you have to fight three omega metroids and have had to backtrack way back just for a refill.
Old 02-14-23, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I love my gameboy and I have an analogue Pocket but I don't have much desire to replay a lot of those games on a modern console. That flickering in Gargoyle's Quest brought back memories though. I was much more interested in the GBA stuff, but I'm not paying the extra for the expansion pass just for that. Really it's my own fault because I bought the Mario Kart pass when it was announced so it feels like the expansion just doesn't have enough extra value for me (and I keep waiting for them to put up some other DLC/passes on there)
Old 02-14-23, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm surprised at how well the OG GB games have aged. Even though they're still in that vomit green color it's pretty nice playing them on a nice clear big screen.
You can change the color palette to be game boy pocket for a black and white look or game boy color for a color option. There’s also the option to reproduced the dot matrix and pixel blur which is off by default.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-14-23 at 09:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
majorjoe23 (02-15-23), steebo777 (02-14-23)
Old 02-28-23, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Between this and the eShop vouchers Costco and Nintendo Online members,can get two $60 (or $70) first party or second party games and 500 gold coins for $80.
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (03-02-23)
Old 03-11-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Anyone else still playing Mario Kart? Finally got some time to get the newest tracks and tried out 2, had fun with them. This is one game that $65 for 96 tracks is worth it.
Old 03-12-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Anyone else still playing Mario Kart? Finally got some time to get the newest tracks and tried out 2, had fun with them. This is one game that $65 for 96 tracks is worth it.
Having played the game extensively on the WiiU I had no desire to double dip on the Switch. The new tracks finally got me to purchase.

Now if only they'd put Pikmin 3 on sale for about $20 so I could just play the new Switch exclusive content. (probably never going to be that cheap). Another one I dropped enough hours into that I can't justify double dipping on at full price (or even their $40 sale tier).

Ahh, remember when Player Choice titles were $20? I guess with digital we're never going to see that again which is a shame.
Old 03-13-23, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think digital had much to do with it, unless I'm missing something?
Old 03-13-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think digital had much to do with it, unless I'm missing something?
If I had to guess, no incentive to get rid of old inventory.
Old 03-13-23, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I had to guess, no incentive to get rid of old inventory.
But the greatest hits stuff was new inventory? I don't think they gutted a whole bunch of old cases to put them in the red cases, it was all about sell through. Somewhere along the way Nintendo decided it wasn't in their best interests to discount their stuff that much but I don't see how digital affected it much (they don't even seem to allow retailers to clearance out their games)
Old 03-13-23, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Once digital became the norm Nintendo realized they can price fix everything. You never see deals on Nintendo games like on the other consoles. Why put out a Greatest Hits line for $20 when they can put $60 games (some last gen at that) on sale digitally for $40 and claim it's a deal? Has any Nintendo game hit $20 digitally, ever?
Old 03-14-23, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely, game is a blast and the new tracks and character are great!
Old 03-14-23, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My only regret with buying the DLC for Mario Kart is that it makes it almost impossible in my mind to buy the Nintendo Online expansion pass unless they add more to it... a weird way of thinking I know.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
redbill (03-14-23), steebo777 (03-15-23)
Old 03-16-23, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I'm getting this.

Old 03-16-23, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Speaking of Disney, has anyone tried Disney Dreamlight Valley? I know it's not a Nintendo exclusive, but figured this would be the more likely place to ask since it seems to have some of Animal Crossing characteristics.
Old 03-17-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Speaking of Disney, has anyone tried Disney Dreamlight Valley? I know it's not a Nintendo exclusive, but figured this would be the more likely place to ask since it seems to have some of Animal Crossing characteristics.
I posted about it in my favorite games of 2022 thread but I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In! I put over 1000 hours into aw1.

Old 03-22-23, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Oh, I'm getting this.

https://youtu.be/4IsgIWb_S3g
So it's yet another "incomplete" game, that they'll sell you piecemeal when content is ready, and then abandon when it doesn't reach their unrealistically lofty sales goals?
Pass.
Old 03-22-23, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So it's yet another "incomplete" game, that they'll sell you piecemeal when content is ready, and then abandon when it doesn't reach their unrealistically lofty sales goals?
Pass.
What are you talking about?
Old 03-22-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Yeah it's just AW 1 and 2 games, packaged together and remastered, right? Sounded like something I would be interested in.
Old 03-22-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to see reviews/a demo when it comes out before I commit though. I love me some Advance Wars but it's not out of the question that they screw up a remaster...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.