DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Sonny Corinthos 10-20-21 01:29 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I wish they would put more information about it up soon.

tanman 10-21-21 01:15 AM

I really wonder how many people are going to buy in to it. The N64 controller sold out pretty quickly but I largely think that's resellers or those who didn't really think it all the way through. I'm guilty of that. I bought one but now I might just resell it. I really want them to have the expansion pass be able to be a monthly thing. If that's the case then I can see paying for a little bit extra for a month here or there.

fujishig 10-21-21 08:05 AM

Oh I didn't even realize there's no monthly plan...

Jay G. 10-21-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 14000837)
Oh I didn't even realize there's no monthly plan...

I think they realized that if Expansion Pack was monthly, a bunch of people would sign up for 1-2 months, play all the N64/Genesis games they wanted to play, and/or play the new Animal Crossing DLC, then drop back down to a regular plan. By making it annual only, they're at least getting a year's worth of fees from you.

Mike86 10-21-21 10:02 AM

I wish they had done a tier with just the Genesis and N64 content, and left out the Animal Crossing DLC. I wonder how that would have changed the pricing.

For me I haven’t played Animal Crossing, and don’t have a real desire to. Maybe if my girlfriend ever decides she wants the game the upgrade would be worthwhile. She was interested in playing New Horizons at one point, but hasn’t mentioned it in a while. She more casually plays her Switch when she’s on the road for work or some evenings.

Deadman31 10-22-21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 14000781)
I really wonder how many people are going to buy in to it. The N64 controller sold out pretty quickly but I largely think that's resellers or those who didn't really think it all the way through. I'm guilty of that. I bought one but now I might just resell it. I really want them to have the expansion pass be able to be a monthly thing. If that's the case then I can see paying for a little bit extra for a month here or there.

If you decide you want to resell the controller, Id be interested. I missed out on getting one. Please let me know.

Decker 10-22-21 10:30 PM

Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass DLC Digital Download for $47.19 at Walmart. Smoking deal!

Michael Corvin 10-23-21 10:06 PM

Ahh shit... DVDtalk let me down. I had no idea this was a thing. Actraiser was one of my favorite SNES games. A modern sequel came out a few weeks ago. A friend of mine pointed it out. Said he's put in about 25 hours which is a big step up from the original. SRP: $30

I'm in the middle of Metroid and Far Cry is on deck, but I might have to pick this up after that.

The Questyen 10-23-21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 14002081)
Ahh shit... DVDtalk let me down. I had no idea this was a thing. Actraiser was one of my favorite SNES games. A modern sequel came out a few weeks ago. A friend of mine pointed it out. Said he's put in about 25 hours which is a big step up from the original. SRP: $30

I'm in the middle of Metroid and Far Cry is on deck, but I might have to pick this up after that.

I posted about it. I hated it and Actraiser is one of my favorite games of all time.

Michael Corvin 10-24-21 10:17 AM

I clearly missed it but my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

What didn't you like? My buddy loves it and he was a huge fan of the original as well.

The Questyen 10-24-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 14002204)
I clearly missed it but my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

What didn't you like? My buddy loves it and he was a huge fan of the original as well.

And just to clarify it is a remake of the original not a sequel. I played it on PS5. It got decent reviews so I'm in the minority but I hated it from moment one. You start in the 2d levels like the original but the controls are terrible and instead of looking like a good SNES game it now looks like an ugly PS1 game. I played through the original again this year and it controls great but this remake screws up even basic 2d platforming. Once you get to the strategy sections the controls of the angel are equally awkward. One of my favorite things about the original is the simplicity of the strategy sections but still making them fun. This remake decides against the simplicity and instead adds like 50 different systems and things for you deal with in these sections including tower defense and I had zero fun with any of it.

Thankfully the original still holds up great so I can always play that when I want to and it's only like 5 hours long.

Sonny Corinthos 10-26-21 12:31 PM

Players Report Nintendo Switch Online N64 Games Suffering from Input Lag, Frame Rate Issues.

Some players who have upgraded their Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions to access the new Expansion Pack are upset about the performance of the service's Nintendo 64 games. Fans are reporting issues of input lag, sound delays, frame rate issues, and incorrect controller layouts.

Many issues have been collated into a ResetEra thread, which has attracted further submissions from players who are unhappy with the service. Common complaints focus on input lag; user paftree said "input lag in OoT is so bad". User nogoodnamesleft echoed this, saying "Pretty noticeable input lag and audio delay in all n64 stuff so far." Famed Zelda: Ocarina of Time speedrunner ZFG posted his thoughts to Twitter, noting that this version is "worse" than the one featured on the WiiU's Virtual Console.

Alongside input lag, players are reporting sound effect delays and issues with music playback, as well as a strange button layout problem that reverses the placement of the A and B buttons, with no option to re-map.

"Considering the aggressive price tag on Expansion Pass, it's understandable why people would be so put off by the myriad of problems that are being seen here," said thread creator HustleBun.

Over on Twitter, user
reports that the emulator being used for https://www.ign.com/games/nintendo-switch Online's N64 games is the same one that was used for https://www.ign.com/articles/super-mario-3d-all-stars-port-analysis' Super Mario 64, albeit stripped of its specific elements designed for just Super Mario 64. The results of that emulation was generally praised, or at least seen as sufficient, in reviews for Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Despite this, it seems as if there is an emulation problem for the Expansion Pack games.

Players Report Nintendo Switch Online N64 Games Suffering from Input Lag, Frame Rate Issues - IGN

I wish I could say i'm surprised, but this is Nintendo we are talking about.

tanman 10-26-21 10:07 PM

Ridiculous that they let this happen at launch. But everything seems like they could fix it easily enough. But this really further tarnishes their reputation in terms of the Expansion pack and just general Nintendo online shenanigans. I wonder how widespread it really is though? I mean you have reports here and there about online play (which could be individual's own internet connection) as well as speed runners who already push the boundaries of games. So for the rest of the folks who aren't looking to break the game I wonder how the experience is. Anyone upgrade?

Jay G. 10-27-21 07:16 AM

I didn't upgrade, but this video review goes through a lot of the issues, although he comes to the conclusion that for the more casual player, the emulation is likely "good enough." The online multiplayer seems a mess though, since it uses "lock-step" syncing between players, meaning it will freeze the game until the player with the slowest connection catches up. Therefore, it's only as good as the worst connection to the game, so with 4-player games you're more likely to run into problems. The reviewer said that more often than not he experienced glitchy online play.

This article also goes in depth on the issues, damning with faint praise by saying it's better than the WiiU emulation of these games:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...isappointment/

fujishig 10-27-21 08:34 AM

I looked at that screenshot and the first part of your post and I was worried for a second that the OLED switch had major problems or something. But it's about the online pass only. :)

Noonan 10-27-21 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 14002231)
And just to clarify it is a remake of the original not a sequel. I played it on PS5. It got decent reviews so I'm in the minority but I hated it from moment one. You start in the 2d levels like the original but the controls are terrible and instead of looking like a good SNES game it now looks like an ugly PS1 game. I played through the original again this year and it controls great but this remake screws up even basic 2d platforming. Once you get to the strategy sections the controls of the angel are equally awkward. One of my favorite things about the original is the simplicity of the strategy sections but still making them fun. This remake decides against the simplicity and instead adds like 50 different systems and things for you deal with in these sections including tower defense and I had zero fun with any of it.

Thankfully the original still holds up great so I can always play that when I want to and it's only like 5 hours long.

Sadly, I agree. I ran to my Switch to download as soon as it was announced and launched. Wasn't a fan of the strategy sections with the Angel. I'll go back to it eventually but put it down after about 2 hours.

Michael Corvin 10-27-21 01:00 PM

Wow, that's disappointing about Actraiser, especially since my buddy was gushing about it. I'll wait for a sale then instead of rushing into it. Thanks for the feedback guys.

E Unit 10-28-21 07:57 PM

Anyone thinking of getting the new Super Mario Party Superstars? It looks rather fun.

Michael Corvin 10-28-21 08:35 PM

Not at full price, but eventually.

Sonny Corinthos 11-06-21 03:03 PM

Nintendo's already working on its next major video game console after the Switch.

Nintendo's Already Working on Its Next Major Video Game Console (businessinsider.com)

Given their history, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with. I hope it's no time soon, the three of us are enjoying the heck out of our Switches.

Michael Corvin 11-06-21 06:33 PM

Given their history of 4-5 year console cycles, they're behind schedule since the Switch is 4.5 years old this month. The Wii was the anomaly at 6 years as wildly successful as it was. The Switch is probably second to that so, maybe 2023?

Adam Tyner 11-06-21 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 14008295)
I hope it's no time soon, the three of us are enjoying the heck out of our Switches.

Since Nintendo likes to reuse the same architecture — DS/3DS, GameCube/Wii/Wii U — I bet their next device will look and function a whole lot like a Switch (and probably be backwards compatible too).

Music 11-06-21 06:41 PM

Nintendo "already" working on their next system... duh! I'm sure they have been for years.

Dan 11-06-21 07:19 PM

It's a good thing Business Insider has their finger on the pulse of such exclusive information :lol:

RichC2 11-06-21 10:18 PM

What? Consoles are generational? That's bullshit!

Every other Nintendo console is usually a sales dud anyway so no worries.