DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Decker 10-16-21 12:54 AM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13998570)
Wow. I had almost a complete opposite reaction about the pricing.... . But honestly the best thing about this whole thing is that it's entirely OPTIONAL. Which I'm thrilled about. They could have easily increased the price of Nintendo Online for everybody and compensated with these add ons. Instead you can continue to pay the exact same reasonable price for Nintendo Online and lose nothing. So kudos to Nintendo for making it a tiered price increase. Also I'm happy that they made the Animal Crossing paid DLC available both as the expansion pack AND as a separate one time fee. I'm glad they didn't force you into upgrading to the expansion pack. So honestly I'm pretty happy with the way they rolled it out.

There's a very comparable precedent for this : Xbox Live Gold expanding into Game Pass Ultimate. The amount of additional content in GPU is unreal including lots of brand new AAA first party games. Yes GPU is three times the price of Xbox Live, but it's a huge library of games for Xbox, PC and phone streaming. Nintendo is charging 150% premium for very few, old games and one $25 DLC package. You really can't compare the two. Plus Microsoft gave Xbox Live members a really good upgrade deal to switch over. Nintendo is giving no deals at all. :down:

tanman 10-16-21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13998591)
There's a very comparable precedent for this : Xbox Live Gold expanding into Game Pass Ultimate. The amount of additional content in GPU is unreal including lots of brand new AAA first party games. Yes GPU is three times the price of Xbox Live, but it's a huge library of games for Xbox, PC and phone streaming. Nintendo is charging 150% premium for very few, old games and one $25 DLC package. You really can't compare the two. Plus Microsoft gave Xbox Live members a really good upgrade deal to switch over. Nintendo is giving no deals at all. :down:

Agreed that GPU is a great deal for what you get but it's also three times the price of the expansion pass. Granted it's also way more than three times the value. Honestly I'm just glad that Nintendo Online is still as cheap as it is and they didn't force anyone into a price hike so you can still get the same service for the same price. I agree and don't really think the expansion pass is worth it either but it looks like they are going to add more to it so that down the road maybe it will be worth it. Or hopefully you can pay monthly so you can bounce in for a month and bounce back out. Either way I'm glad that it's entirely optional.

Decker 10-16-21 10:24 AM

Sure, it’s totally optional, it’s just a very greedy look. Had they not included the New Horizons expansion and charged $10-15 more, I think it would have been much better received. I just can’t believe they ran this pricing structure past a focus group and was told “Yes, that sounds like a fair value. Sign me up”.

Goldberg74 10-16-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13998479)
I pay $35/yr for me, my daughter and my son to go online, back up game saves and play NES and SNES games.
Nintendo wants me to pay an additional $45/year so we can access a few N64 games, some Sega Genesis games I just purchased on PSN yesterday for $8.99 (to own forever) and access to a $25 DLC package for a game I haven't played in a year - - one that will try to make me feel really guilty about neglecting it for so long. It's beyond comprehension.

I have all 8 slots of my family plan filled (me, my wife, three sons, my daughter, a brother-in-law, and a nephew). I happily pay for the whole thing so they can play online together.

Three of which own ACNH. By upgrading, we’d get access to the DLC for $45 versus shelling out $75… so it’s a given for me to upgrade.

I can see them adding featured DLC to Mario Party Superstars, Splatoon 3, and more.

And of the 8 people on the plan, more than half will be playing the N64 games religiously.

To each their own I guess, but it’s worth it to me.

I’m just surprised no ones cried foul that the monthly average for the service is $6.66! Nintendo’s using the mark of the beast!?!! :lol:

tanman 10-16-21 09:22 PM

I'm still pissed at them artificially limiting it to one island per SYSTEM in AC. If that was a feature of the expansion pack that would be a day one sign up for me.

tanman 10-16-21 09:23 PM

Apparently Target will have Pikmin 3 for $30 for one day only 10/17.

I would like to pick it up but it's hard to justify since I already have it on the Wii U and my Wii U is still hooked up to the TV and using the WiiU gamepad as a controller fits the game really well.

The Cow 10-17-21 08:06 PM

I ended up getting the OLED Switch today. My wife decided she wanted her own Animal Crossing island to start fresh with, so I went to a few places to look for the OLED Switch. Nobody had them, and the last place I went to was Walmart (AC is cheaper there anyway), so I just had the guy get the prior Switch and AC out of the cabinet. As I was checking out, he said a couple other people bought Switches that day thinking they would be hard to find around Christmas. I mentioned I was kinda hoping to track down and OLED version but realistically didn't think I'd be able to find one for a while. He told me they had them (6) but they weren't "supposed" to sell them yet. He offered me one anyway, returned the other Switch and got the OLED version. :up:

tanman 10-17-21 10:45 PM

:jawdrop: :thumbsup:

I guess Walmart employee's general idiocy paid off this time. When did they think they were getting released? I went to try to find Metroid Dread special edition on release day and was summarily told at Walmart if it isn't in the glass case they don't have it. -rolleyes- They didn't even have the regular editions out.

milo bloom 10-18-21 08:54 AM

I'm still trying to parse the new costs for the online thing. I know my wife will want the Animal Crossing update, but I'm not sure we need the Genesis thing since we have the mini system plus a disc for the PS3 with like 40 Genesis titles.
And there's really not that many titles on the N64 we're dying to have.

And is there any improvement in sharing digital titles in your family group or do you still have to do the nonsense with changing who the main user is on each system and downloading the game then changing back?

fujishig 10-18-21 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13999387)
I'm still trying to parse the new costs for the online thing. I know my wife will want the Animal Crossing update, but I'm not sure we need the Genesis thing since we have the mini system plus a disc for the PS3 with like 40 Genesis titles.
And there's really not that many titles on the N64 we're dying to have.

And is there any improvement in sharing digital titles in your family group or do you still have to do the nonsense with changing who the main user is on each system and downloading the game then changing back?

? The digital title is basically anyone on the primary system can use the digital title but on secondary systems only the user who bought the game can use the title, and only one secondary system at a time. so you can't really "change back" to another user unless you make that system primary. I don't think that's changed at all, the premise is basically that you can only play two copies of the game at once.

Wait, how does the Animal Crossing thing work? Only one island per system, but all users on that system still need to buy the DLC to use it? That's some crap right there if true.

Sonny Corinthos 10-18-21 09:34 AM

Welp, it looks like i'm on the hook for the upgrade. My Wife and daughter saw the trailer for the DLC and that's all it took for them to want it. For this amount of money, Nintendo needs to keep it updated with "new" N64 and Genesis games.

fujishig 10-18-21 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13999403)
Welp, it looks like i'm on the hook for the upgrade. My Wife and daughter saw the trailer for the DLC and that's all it took for them to want it. For this amount of money, Nintendo needs to keep it updated with "new" N64 and Genesis games.

But you can buy the upgrade separately (and own it)? I dunno, I'm kind of thinking of letting my kids play with the new free stuff coming out in November first and waiting to see if they will actually add value to this before jumping in.

Maxflier 10-18-21 10:10 AM

Nintendo can shove it. They don't even have fucking voice chat with their bullshit ass online service. I couldn't care less about having access to a handful (or any) of N64 games.

fujishig 10-18-21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13999428)
Nintendo can shove it. They don't even have fucking voice chat with their bullshit ass online service. I couldn't care less about having access to a handful (or any) of N64 games.

I think that's the baffling thing. They clearly see this as analogous and worth just as much as PS Plus and Live, except for the fact that you get a ton more with either of those two services (like actual free games, not DLC, voice chat, a kind of functioning phone app, etc.) AND you can get them at deep discount pretty much all the time.

Mike86 10-18-21 11:03 AM

Nintendo Switch online is also only like a third of the cost as Xbox Live or PlayStation Plus though.

I’m still not much of a fan of having to pay more for the Genesis/N64 tier of games. We’ll have to see what they charge.

fujishig 10-18-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13999454)
Nintendo Switch online is also only like a third of the cost as Xbox Live or PlayStation Plus though.

I’m still not much of a fan of having to pay more for the Genesis/N64 tier of games. We’ll have to see what they charge.

I'm talking about the new online + expansion pass. The clearly priced it to compete on the level of Plus and Live. Imagine if Playstation Plus or Xbox Live only gave you like PS1/2/Xbox games instead of more recent titles.

stingermck 10-18-21 11:17 AM

But I don't play Animal Crossing. There should be a 3rd tier for that, or add on.

fujishig 10-18-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13999465)
But I don't play Animal Crossing. There should be a 3rd tier for that, or add on.

Agreed. I think that's the problem people have with it. They think "man, if Nintendo didn't include that Animal Crossing add on that I will never use, this thing could've been like 20 bucks cheaper." But Nintendo probably thought up this price first and then added that DLC to it to make the package more attractive, with no intention of giving you N64 and (let's be honest, kind of useless because they've been released so much) Genesis games for a cheaper price.

Michael Corvin 10-18-21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13999433)
I think that's the baffling thing. They clearly see this as analogous and worth just as much as PS Plus and Live, except for the fact that you get a ton more with either of those two services (like actual free games, not DLC, voice chat, a kind of functioning phone app, etc.) AND you can get them at deep discount pretty much all the time.

Not to mention PS+ and Gold/Ultimate give you games released in the last decade and not pulling from libraries from 25 years ago.

lopper 10-19-21 08:08 AM

Found a GameStop here that had some OLED models in stock, so I picked one up yesterday. Traded in my old Switch, an extra set of joycons (with a severe case of drift), and a couple older games that I’d had lying around, which covered all but $6 for the OLED.

I use the Switch in handheld mode 100% of the time, and I travel a lot for work, so upgrading to a nicer screen made sense.

I’ve only played about 45 min of Metroid on it so far. It looks good, and my aging eyes appreciated the extra real estate on screen.

Noonan 10-19-21 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13999874)
Found a GameStop here that had some OLED models in stock, so I picked one up yesterday. Traded in my old Switch, an extra set of joycons (with a severe case of drift), and a couple older games that I’d had lying around, which covered all but $6 for the OLED.

I use the Switch in handheld mode 100% of the time, and I travel a lot for work, so upgrading to a nicer screen made sense.

I’ve only played about 45 min of Metroid on it so far. It looks good, and my aging eyes appreciated the extra real estate on screen.

Same. I went from a Lite to an OLED which was a HUGE upgrade. The dock & joycon grip is still in the box. :lol:

I'm glad I didn't finish Metroid before the new console arrived. That game looks amazing on the OLED screen.

Mike86 10-19-21 10:02 AM

I really didn’t expect the Genesis/N64 upgrade to be double the price of Nintendo Switch Online. Thought it might be between like $10 more at most. Not sure that I’ll bother at $20 more. At least not right away.

Decker 10-19-21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13999930)
I really didn’t expect the Genesis/N64 upgrade to be double the price of Nintendo Switch Online. Thought it might be between like $10 more at most. Not sure that I’ll bother at $20 more. At least not right away.

It's $30 more. More than double, it's a 150% increase.

slop101 10-20-21 10:25 AM

Nintendo's pricing on shit has always been whack; nonsensical with no rhyme or reason.

Mike86 10-20-21 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14000193)
It's $30 more. More than double, it's a 150% increase.

Or yeah. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.