DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

Goonies85 09-08-21 09:56 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Oh, man, I finally decided to try the so-called "Adventure Mode" in Mario Golf: Super Rush, and it is brutal, just awful in my mind. Like, a game like Smash Bros. has an Adventure Mode, and even though it may frustrate me at times with the weird rules for certain matches (I mainly hate when the level is very windy or the ground is sleep-inducing, I almost always lose those ones), but at least it looked like Nintendo made a really solid effort. The one in the golf game is incredibly lacklustre, and often times you have no idea where to actually go, you just walk around and keep asking characters questions til you find the right one. And the levelling up? It doesn't really seem to affect me at all, as I'm really not going to use the Mii character much, if at all, anyway. I'll stick with the Nintendo characters.

I also had to play/try this "Speed Golf", as it's part of the Adventure Mode. I had avoided it before because the concept just didn't appeal to me, and I really, really hated it. Like, having to run to where your ball lands is just stupid to me. Maybe if you're playing with buddies sitting on the couch, but I really could care less about running, knocking one of my opponents over, then going to play my lie. The concept sounds kind of interesting, but just doesn't work. And I don't know how you could make it work. Really the only mode I play is the regular Stroke Play. That's it. I really hope Nintendo releases more content later on as promised, or at least fine-tunes some its current short-comings. Like I said, still a fun game, and it's been criticized a bit too much, but man is there ever room for improvement...

Goonies85 09-11-21 03:33 PM

Definitely liking Super Mario: Odyssey more and more, and for the first time I found a Star that actually sent me back to a previous level, so at least now I understand why I can't get certain Stars, cause I remember staring at this one for hours, trying to figure out how to get it, only to learn that the only way to "get it" was to go to a level way far ahead, take a secret passage, and "BAM", it morphs you to the Woods Level again. Which would've been nice to know, but oh well. I'm no longer going to stress about seeing stars I can't seem to get, cause it looks like there are other ways...I will say this: Like all Mario games, I hate the snow/ice levels. Just hate the lack of traction and I know they're kind of a staple but I really hate those levels...But...

...the boss fight on the Island level was sweet, and satisfactory. And I absolutely loved the concert that was put on in Metro City or whatever it's called (beat that one without losing a single life, in one get-go, which is amazing for me)...Those are the reasons I play the game. Still find other parts ridiculously difficult, and annoyingly have to be sent back way too far back only to keep losing at the same damn place every time (or at least 8-10 tries, it seems) before I beat them, but oh well...I was kind of tempted to step back into Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but again, I don't get the hype. I'd walk around for what seemed like an hour or an hour-and-a-half and I'd barely see anyone...No towns to interact with. No people. Like, jesus, take a lesson from Skyrim...even if you don't like that game, at least it was DENSELY POPULATED...Zelda to me just seems lame in that regard...

Also tried to again pick up the Adventure Mode in Mario Golf, but I just can't stand Speed Golf. That mode is a joke. And why is it they messed with the trajectory of the balls? Like, I remember in previous games, if I had to get over a tree or something, I'd obviously pick the SW or PW, but now it's just a straight line, giving you absolutely no indication whether or not you'll make it over sans tree, and it often even automatically will select like a 3W even when you're in a sand trap...That makes no sense...Great job, Nintendo...great job, Camelot...I still like the game, but it's like a "kiddie" version of Mario Golf...idiots...

Goonies85 09-13-21 02:07 AM

Man, got my first "Hole-in-One" in this new Mario Golf Game, which was surprisingly easy. Like, I think having "Toadstool Tour" for the GameCube, I might have, (might have) gotten one "hole-in-one" the whole time I had it. And we're talking like playing it like 4-5 years. Once. And yet I got one now in this new game, which just kind of shows how ridiculous this new game can be. Like, it would be interesting to show this game to my dad. He's a Mario Golf fan, going all the way back the NES. It's like the one, ONE game he'll actually play. And I remember him playing Toadstool Tour with us (he's actually the dude that finally unlocked I wanna say King Koopa or Donkey Kong, cause we couldn't do it). He was hilarious when he would play these games. Studying the lies, the winds, etc. Oftentimes me and my bro would just be like "Take a shot!" But he was methodical. For some reason, I don't think he'd have liked this game so much. Which is too bad...

Decker 09-14-21 07:06 PM

In the "About F'in Time" Department :

tanman 09-15-21 04:49 AM

https://c.tenor.com/_0V_qShJ4Q0AAAAM/umm-no-genie.gif

Never expected that to happen. And again begs the question since they could have done this all along for the past 4 years with a patch (which we all knew they could) why in the world did they wait this long to do it?

Music 09-15-21 06:08 AM

Uhmm.. cause Nintendo, duh!

E Unit 09-15-21 07:09 AM

At least it’s not limited to only the new ones coming out.

tanman 09-16-21 08:53 PM

I know Nintendo makes super strange decisions. I'm just surprised to actually see them reverse course on something like that. Usually they stick with their guns no matter what the public opinion (or even outcry) is.

milo bloom 09-17-21 06:18 PM

Itís frustrating how Nintendo can be such an incredible place of creativity but at the same be such old fuddy duddies.

Goonies85 09-18-21 10:45 AM

My roommate continues to be an asshole. I ran into hm this morning and was like like "You want me to water the plants?"" And he's like, no, got this...
fuck my life... I don;t know what to do.....

beavis69 09-20-21 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13986019)
My roommate continues to be an asshole. I ran into hm this morning and was like like "You want me to water the plants?"" And he's like, no, got this...
fuck my life... I don;t know what to do.....

Buy him a Switch?

Goonies85 09-22-21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13986696)
Buy him a Switch?

Ha, good call...Although he's not much into videogames. On another note, I'm crushing it in Mario Golf. I'm avoiding the Adventure Mode, but so far I'm managed to upgrade probably have the characters to their max levels. Waluigi has actually become a favorite of mine, as has Luigi, who when he launches his "special move", it like freezes the ground wherever it lands, so if the other player hits the ball there, it'll actually like slide and skid off the fairway, often into a bunker. Mario and Wario are still my faves, but I'm surprised Waluigi has been that impressive. At this point, I really only play the first two courses, as I think the rest are pretty crappy....But, hopefully Nintendo delivers on their promise and sends some updates (hopefully 3-4 new courses, as that's what the game needs; I could care less about new characters, but courses would be nice).

And I'm seriously considering getting the Nintendo ePass or whatever it's called so I can get some others to help me unlock stuff on Animal Crossing, just have to make sure my finances are okay, as $25 doesn't seem like much, but my landlord wants his rent, and that might make it or break it, so I'll see. Still actively searching for work, but Alberta (I think) has like the highest COVID rate in Canada, and tons of businesses are closing again, there's the mask mandate in effect again...Like, the Subway by my house will let you in and order, but will NOT allow you to eat inside. And its the same everywhere....

Adam Tyner 09-22-21 09:10 AM

Dan 09-23-21 05:30 PM

Switch Online is getting a new tier and will include N64 and Genesis games.

Also

Adam Tyner 09-23-21 05:39 PM

The SNES controller was only $29.99; itís nuts that the Genesis controller is so much more expensive.

Dan 09-23-21 05:42 PM

Blame the chip shortage!!! ;)

Adam Tyner 09-23-21 05:46 PM

On one hand, it was nice to see Bayonetta 3 at long last. (My Best Buy preorder is almost 3 years old, but at least it still has a Gamers Club Unlocked discount!) On the other hand, yikes! I'm sure it'll still be really fun to play, but graphically, it looks like a relic from another era, especially after seeing Project Eve in Sony's presentation. It feels like a step back from 2. Not sure why they recast Bayonetta's voice either.

If I had to score this Direct, maybe a C? Bayonetta 3 didn't excite me the way I hoped it would after all this time, I'm looking forward to a new Kirby game, I'm sure I'll buy Splatoon 3 despite not being all that much a fan of the second game, and everything else is kind of whatever. Weird to have announcements of announcements in the Direct for Animal Crossing and Smash. The Nintendo Online changes sound like a shitshow.

fujishig 09-23-21 05:46 PM

Just 200 bucks for four N64 controllers so you can play an older version of Mario Kart!

Mike86 09-23-21 05:59 PM

So wait reading the post it says:

This new membership plan launches late October and includes all features of the base Nintendo Switch Online membership. Details on pricing, timing, and more will be shared soon.
I wonder if Nintendo is going to charge an extra amount to get the N64/Genesis access in addition to the Switch Online service we already pay for. If so thatís kind of lame.

beavis69 09-23-21 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13988241)

I wonder if Nintendo is going to charge an extra amount to get the N64/Genesis access in addition to the Switch Online service we already pay for. If so thatís kind of lame.

Yes, itís a Switch Online+ essentially. Also, I donít think you have to buy the N64 controllers to play the N64 games.

Mike86 09-23-21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by beavis69 (Post 13988245)
Yes, itís a Switch Online+ essentially. Also, I donít think you have to buy the N64 controllers to play the N64 games.

Right, I have Switch Online, which includes NES and SNES access. It sounds like the N64 and Genesis games will be extra though.

fujishig 09-23-21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13988241)

I wonder if Nintendo is going to charge an extra amount to get the N64/Genesis access in addition to the Switch Online service we already pay for. If so that’s kind of lame.

That's exactly what it is. Added money (per month) for the N64 and Genesis games.

Mike86 09-23-21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13988254)
That's exactly what it is. Added money (per month) for the N64 and Genesis games.

Kinda bullshit in my opinion. Iíll see how much it costs and what games are included, but Iím not happy about that.

beavis69 09-23-21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13988253)
Right, I have Switch Online, which includes NES and SNES access. It sounds like the N64 and Genesis games will be extra though.

Yea thatís what I mean. Switch Online is like 19.99 or something a year. This will be 29.99 or something a year. You will get everything in the 19.99 tier, but you have to play for the expansion tier to get N64 and Genesis

The Questyen 09-23-21 08:33 PM

I'm super excited for that Kirby 3d platformer and Project Strategy. Actraiser is one of my favorite games ever and I just replayed it a few months ago so I'm super stoked for this new version but I'll play that on my PS5 not my Switch. Otherwise not much for me.